Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Not religious at all but I grew up with my family being Lutheran before switching to Catholic and there’s been something about the Catholic side I’ve identified more with so I’ll give my thoughts if you want em OP.

I think a lot of Protestantism sets you up for this personal relationship with god that you ultimately can’t fulfil in any realistic capacity and at least in my eyes the whole “salvation through faith alone” ethos ends up either being completely lost on people or just being an excuse for people to be a jackass (I’m saved either way what’s the difference).

Catholicism on the other hand has a bit more of a distant relationship with god (I think Latin masses probably contributed to this but even growing up there was a feeling of the church being the barrier between you and god). There’s also the reconciliation which I think promotes more inward reflection, self improvement and forgiveness. Something about that has always stuck with me, the idea that yes you are a flawed individual but you should reflect on that and look to improve going forward. It doesn’t even have to be within the Roman Catholic moral framework, you can apply your own morals to that and I think it’s a pretty solid idea. That’s just me though 🤷🏼‍♂️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Also their witch art is pretty good. Really pretty witch buildings.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

You and others seem really mad about people choosing to practice traditional Christianity without having even a basic understanding of it or their desire to do so and I don't know why, you protestant scum.

I'm clearly teasing about the last bit, c'mon

It's cause they're dumb and smell bad and they love to go to dumb smelly buildings where kids get diddled in the basement (the basement also smells)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

the corona quid posted:

Not religious at all but I grew up with my family being Lutheran before switching to Catholic and there’s been something about the Catholic side I’ve identified more with so I’ll give my thoughts if you want em OP.

I think a lot of Protestantism sets you up for this personal relationship with god that you ultimately can’t fulfil in any realistic capacity and at least in my eyes the whole “salvation through faith alone” ethos ends up either being completely lost on people or just being an excuse for people to be a jackass (I’m saved either way what’s the difference).

Catholicism on the other hand has a bit more of a distant relationship with god (I think Latin masses probably contributed to this but even growing up there was a feeling of the church being the barrier between you and god). There’s also the reconciliation which I think promotes more inward reflection, self improvement and forgiveness. Something about that has always stuck with me, the idea that yes you are a flawed individual but you should reflect on that and look to improve going forward. It doesn’t even have to be within the Roman Catholic moral framework, you can apply your own morals to that and I think it’s a pretty solid idea. That’s just me though 🤷🏼‍♂️

Ok, can I ask you some somewhat serious questions about your experiences?
First I want to preface this by saying that I am (despite my posting in this thread) NOT religious and only curious, so please feel free to answer as honestly as you want.

How'd you reconcile converting to Catholicism given what is preached about baptism, and did you go through a baptism/confession/first communion/confirmation on a different time table, or how did that work?

I never saw Catholicism as being more 'distant' from God, having grown up in the church but being in a largely Lutheran community in my teen years (and I admit, it was ALL Lutheran and not other protestants so I cannot really speak to that), but God was, in our churches, ever present, and the only time latin masses were celebrated were especially special occasions, I think I've only heard 2-3 of them in my entire life, and I'm getting near 40 now. This was never a barrier to me. Nor was 'catholic guilt' impressed on me as some kind of ideal, that I was fundamentally wronged as a person. If anything, I was 'perfect in God's sight until I sinned and then needed confession and could let it all out', if that makes sense.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
does practicing Catholic mean that you attend Mass when you are supposed to, or that you believe the dogma? because i lean to the latter. i was baptized and confirmed so i will always be a Catholic (unless i get excommunicated i suppose but that is pretty rare these days). there are a lot of evil people in the Church, that is bound to happen in a group of over a billion.

i get drunk almost constantly and smoke lots of weed. i will be attending midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, probably drunk and high. i won't receive Communion however because i have not been to confession. so i guess to answer your question OP, it is because I DOOON'T STOP BEEELIIIEEEEVING I HOLD ON TO THAT FEEEYYEEELING

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zippy the Bummer posted:

does practicing Catholic mean that you attend Mass when you are supposed to, or that you believe the dogma? because i lean to the latter. i was baptized and confirmed so i will always be a Catholic (unless i get excommunicated i suppose but that is pretty rare these days). there are a lot of evil people in the Church, that is bound to happen in a group of over a billion.

i get drunk almost constantly and smoke lots of weed. i will be attending midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, probably drunk and high. i won't receive Communion however because i have not been to confession. so i guess to answer your question OP, it is because I DOOON'T STOP BEEELIIIEEEEVING I HOLD ON TO THAT FEEEYYEEELING

Serious question: what's even the point of doing it half-assed?

dorkthrone
Nov 11, 2019

I saw the band Piñata Protest play at a Catholic church festival. There was a lot of alcohol sold there that day.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Every Protestant Ever Posted:

dorkthrone
Nov 11, 2019

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Please don't drink and smoke weed and drive.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

When I was in Catholic School I told confession to my priest and he did me a wrong. A serious, moral wrong. I told him I cheated on math tests by looking in the back of the book and he told my teachers about it and I never felt safe confessing my sins to him again. RIP my entire religious beliefs.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Imagine being around for like 2000 years and still having to practice what you do :rolleyes:

Just give up already catholicailures, if you haven't gotten better at it by now you never will

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Who What Now posted:

the vast vast majority of humans ever do almost everything half-assed haha

dorkthrone posted:

Please don't drink and smoke weed and drive.

i'll hitch a ride with my bro

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Big Beef City posted:

Ok, can I ask you some somewhat serious questions about your experiences?
First I want to preface this by saying that I am (despite my posting in this thread) NOT religious and only curious, so please feel free to answer as honestly as you want.

How'd you reconcile converting to Catholicism given what is preached about baptism, and did you go through a baptism/confession/first communion/confirmation on a different time table, or how did that work?

I never saw Catholicism as being more 'distant' from God, having grown up in the church but being in a largely Lutheran community in my teen years (and I admit, it was ALL Lutheran and not other protestants so I cannot really speak to that), but God was, in our churches, ever present, and the only time latin masses were celebrated were especially special occasions, I think I've only heard 2-3 of them in my entire life, and I'm getting near 40 now. This was never a barrier to me. Nor was 'catholic guilt' impressed on me as some kind of ideal, that I was fundamentally wronged as a person. If anything, I was 'perfect in God's sight until I sinned and then needed confession and could let it all out', if that makes sense.

To the first point, yeah it was a different time table, I was baptized at the priest’s house with my mom present (in a rare moment of good parenting from her). I definitely went through most the poo poo on a later time table than most the other kids but was caught up by the time of confirmation.

To the second one that was my own personal experience but as I’ve looked back over the years I’ve always sort of chalked it up to the traditions of the Catholic Church versus Protestantism. I went to all of one Latin mass in my life but I always felt that in Protestant churches you were being pushed to develop a sort of personal relationship with god where as in the Catholic Church God was just this ethereal entity who had dominion over you and it didn’t require much in the way of personal interaction with him outside of standardized prayers.

I definitely saw things like you did in the last sentence for a long time growing up, when I was a kid I hated when we switched to Catholic. It was this wild swing from “Jesus loves you” to “Ohh you hosed up again didn’t you? Well you’re going to hell unless you plead for forgiveness”. it’s only been relatively recently that I’ve come round to the whole reconciliation thing, and I’ve admittedly not been in the Catholic mainstream for some time so I could be misinterpreting things.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Who What Now posted:

Do you think all Muslims never drink? Do you think they all pray 5 times a day?
Never cheat during Ramadan? Do you think all Jews keep kosher? Do you think the tradition of Jewish rules lawyering makes the people who do it bad Jews?

You have an incredibly Protestant view of religion which isn't shared by most other faiths.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zippy the Bummer posted:

the vast vast majority of humans ever do almost everything half-assed haha

Right, so why not just not do it at all? Get high and eat some crackers and drink wine in your jammies at home. At least that way you aren't supporting kiddy diddlers.

E:

VinylonUnderground posted:

Do you think all Muslims never drink? Do you think they all pray 5 times a day?
Never cheat during Ramadan? Do you think all Jews keep kosher? Do you think the tradition of Jewish rules lawyering makes the people who do it bad Jews?

You have an incredibly Protestant view of religion which isn't shared by most other faiths.

Those people should just eschew those rules because they obviously aren't making their lives any better. Going "this is dumb and I'm not gonna pretend to do it" owns and everyone should give it a try

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Let me tell you all about chaos magic

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Actually I don't know anything but I feel that there should be a "k" there

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

a true initiate would know to spell it khaos majyck

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I was Catholic until about 18 years old, when I knew it was all bullshit for a few years by then. My whole family is still practicing, in that they act better because they're believers who send their kids to catholic school and the like. But I don't give any money to kiddy diddlers and their enablers so gently caress them. Also I live 500 miles away, and it's not a coincidence.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Yeah as I said above I'm an atheist but I will say Catholicism is probably actually theologically the least dumb brand of Christianity.

I would argue that the least dumb brand of Christianity is Episcopalianism. It’s basically Catholicism that jettisons the lovely parts but keeps the high church liturgy, epic architecture and music and the theology is chill and inclusive. Anyone, regardless of sex, sexual orientation, or marital status, can become a priest (turns out that not enforcing celibacy prevents pedo priests, who knew).

I am nominally Episcopalian (bias disclaimer) and got married at an Episcopal church (officiated by a gay married priest no less) - the ceremony and setting was Catholic-like enough that I had a couple friends be like “oh wow I didn’t know you were Catholic”. I also know a few people who were raised Catholic and converted to Episcopalianism because they wanted to ditch the conservative theology and pedo priests but not the culture and “churchiness”.

Hi LWB
Nov 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I converted as an adult mainly due to my wife and her family. I decided to give making a habit of going to mass a try for the social/family togetherness benefits, and ultimately conversion just to understand what was going on. I've met a lot of people well connected people in my area attending. The adult conversion program lasts 7-ish months and found the priests to be pretty candid about the failings of the church. I completely lost interest in Christianity as a kid growing up, but after re-immersing myself in it, reading the Bible is probably a pretty decent mental/spiritual douching for a lot of people and whose place could be taken by any other mainstream religion/spirituality/meditation.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i was born into the church, did my own personal religious journey in my early 20s, and eventually ended up coming back to catholicism when i was like...26 or 27 or so.

ultimately, the reason is because over the course of a few thousand years, the church has come up with a lot of things that just work and they make my life a lot easier.

- the ethical frameworks encapsulated in the religion are actually pretty durable and well articulated. as an example, when i'm attempting to calibrate my moral compass on a specific topic, the Seven Virtues and Seven Deadly Sins make for a good way to frame the conversation; especially if you care to read about more aspects of the Virtues than just the surface stuff. chastity, for example, doesn't just refer to 'don't gently caress around and get stds', it also refers to keeping your body clean and healthy. the individual points of selflessness vs selfishness make for a very good way to frame actions to make a decision for myself if a particular action is one i want to take.

- there is a ritual for literally loving every trial you could conceive of in your life, and while it's nowhere near a substitute for introspection or therapy, it's an awfully good start to either beginning those conversations you need to have with yourself or giving yourself permission to have those conversations with others. when my mother died the day before i left for college to embark on becoming a real person rather than some proto-thing, most people expected that i would delay a semester or whatever to deal with my beloved mother's death. instead, thanks to the funerary rituals in the church both before, during, and after the actual ceremony, i was able to cry my tears and work through it without putting my life on hold.

- the suggestions for your day to day in terms of prayers, adoration, and worship are very unobtrusive/as needed sort of stuff in general, and it's pretty in keeping with basic mental hygiene suggestions in terms of unplugging to rejuvenate and reset. this was something that separated catholicism from a lot of the other religions i tried during my personal journey - catholicism's only real ask is an hour on the weekend, everything else is a bunch of stuff that people over the last two millennia have come up with as things like if x you do y. muttering the prayer of saint michael the archangel when i'm feeling under physical threat has kept me calm, collected, and lucid in some situations of extreme danger.

- the clergy are actually professionals. the hierarchy of the church causes a ton of harm when it is corrupted or out of step with its ideal; no question. i don't feel the need to apologize for the hierarchy doing poo poo like protecting pedos. that poo poo should have never have happened and every last one of the people involved in that poo poo should be defrocked. but the fact that it demands that its clergy actually study the material they talk about means that you can have some level of confidence when you bring a problem to them in the general sense. a lot of the problem i had with a lot of denominations was that the way you became an ordained minister of the faith was to go down to city hall and fill out paperwork for 30 minutes. a catholic priest has to study for years. this doesn't make them infallible on any level, but it gives them a level of sophistication that you can take some confidence in when you're trying to figure out the distinction between shades of right and shades of wrong. i feel this is a really big thing that ends up becoming background noise in a lot of cases.

i could get into more metaphysical poo poo of course but that's not the context of the question. the two big things i'll point out politically is that with homosexuality stuff, there's only very weak guidance from that by the church on the morality of it so it's not a centrally held tenet the way some folks seem to think it is. my local diocese gay marries parishioners reasonably regularly and the RCIA program to initiate people into catholicism has at least a couple gay couples a year (i'm a volunteer for the program).

i could also get into the community portion (which catholicism also does awfully well compared to a lot of denominations i feel) but on a forum like SA it causes a lot of disingenuous and toxic conversation so i'll hold off on that. the 4 points above are all about how catholicism has made it easier for me to self-improve and be a better, more effective human being in the real world, and it's definitely accomplished that with less stress and more results than the other religions i dove into over the course of half a decade in my 20s.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 23, 2020

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Who What Now posted:

Those people should just eschew those rules because they obviously aren't making their lives any better. Going "this is dumb and I'm not gonna pretend to do it" owns and everyone should give it a try

Libertarian-style White Nationalism on SA is a real blast from the past. I thought that fad went out with the Bush administration.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Das Boo posted:

As a kid in a Protestant family, Catholicism always seemed super witchy. All the black robes and chanting and rituals and worshiping mummified corpses and body parts by candlelight? Buncha witches.

Isn't there a church with a holy foreskin, or am I confusing this with someone else's mummy penis?

You know that's not a REAL body up on that cross, right? It's just a statue.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Defiance Industries posted:

If it was a statue it would be too heavy, and then the cross would break. Bet you didn't think of that :agesilaus:

Two Piece
Jul 30, 2011

~*wonk*~
I enjoy the missionary position, abhore condoms, and I like putting kids in my wife's belly. Why not be a Catholic?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VinylonUnderground posted:

Libertarian-style White Nationalism on SA is a real blast from the past. I thought that fad went out with the Bush administration.

:wtc:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I will say that I appreciated that my church kept mass to exactly 45 minutes on the dot.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the goon can't change his stripes, man

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GetDunked posted:

If it was a statue it would be too heavy, and then the cross would break. Bet you didn't think of that :agesilaus:

I never said it wasn't a cheap statue. Check and mate.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The real question is why are you all still practicing Americans while knowing the real history of this country.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ruddiger posted:

The real question is why are you all still practicing Americans Italians Germans English Chinese Japanese Israeli Sudanese Liberian Brazilian Paraguayan Indianwhile knowing the real history of this country.

Get the gently caress over yourself

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ruddiger posted:

The real question is why are you all still practicing Americans while knowing the real history of this country.

The gently caress is a "practicing" american?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Who What Now posted:

The gently caress is a "practicing" american?

Did you wake up in America and it wasn't a socialist paradise yet this morning? Congratulations on your willing complacency to all the sins of mankind. :downsbravo:

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

I never said it wasn't a cheap statue. Check and mate.

this plaster of paris is my body and this papier-mache goop is my blood

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Big Beef City posted:

Did you wake up in America and it wasn't a socialist paradise yet this morning? Congratulations on your willing complacency to all the sins of mankind. :downsbravo:

Okay someone needs to go to confession and ask for forgiveness for picking on that person with a very clear case of heavy depression lol

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

Goddamn right, I type, in the blood of those who died to produce my smart phone.

*says a Hail Mary to absolve my capitalist sins*

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
My dad loving hates the catholic church, apparently because he was forced to attend a catholic school in 50s LA where they beat him mercilessly

One of his favorite expressions is 'does the pope poo poo in the woods?'

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Every time I think GBS is going to cover a fun interesting topic in a fun lightweight manner the tankie depression brigade barges in and starts making GBS threads all over the place to make sure everyone is as miserable as them lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Maybe not at the pussy church you attend.