Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Sekenr posted:

Catholics who like nice things should just convert to Orthodox. Orthodox priests can marry so probably 90% less pedophilia. Also a solution to Pope Francis problem since lol at the Bishop of Rome thinking he is the sole vicar of Christ.

I feel like that misses the ethnic component. While American Catholics have traded a fair amount of their identity in exchange for whiteness, there is still a difference between St. Mary's (cabbage), St. Mary's (snail), St. Mary's (sauerkraut), St. Mary's (Screendoor + submarine). But that trend hasn't really extended to the Orthodox communities so advocating what are essentially tourists invading Greek, Russian, Ethiopian, etc. spaces seems like a really bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VinylonUnderground posted:

I feel like that misses the ethnic component. While American Catholics have traded a fair amount of their identity in exchange for whiteness, there is still a difference between St. Mary's (cabbage), St. Mary's (snail), St. Mary's (sauerkraut), St. Mary's (Screendoor + submarine). But that trend hasn't really extended to the Orthodox communities so advocating what are essentially tourists invading Greek, Russian, Ethiopian, etc. spaces seems like a really bad idea.

Are you having a stroke?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Practice makes perfect, OP.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Who What Now posted:

Are you having a stroke?

You seem to have extreme challenges understanding points of view outside your own narrow experience.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

You seem to have extreme challenges understanding points of view outside your own narrow experience.

Turn your monitor on my friend.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

the corona quid posted:

Turn your monitor on my friend.

A goon wearing his best suit excitedly grabs another parishioners hand giving his best firm handshake. He may not speak a word of Amharic, let alone Ge'ez, but he knows that he has finally found a spiritual home. A place where he can finally express his spirituality in a way that makes him comfortable.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

This is an impressively bad take that doesn't reflect reality at all given the accounts of people I've seen (some on this very forum) who have converted to Orthodox

"Orthodox Christianity is only allowed for certain nationalities" lol

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I just got that the whole cabbage and screen door thing was supposed to be weird 1950s stereotypes

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Abstracting religion from ethnicity is some hardcore sunderings of modernity poo poo. If you want to strive for a post-racial, post-ethnic world religion is very much your enemy and not your friend. But as a cultural expression it has utility.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Who What Now posted:

I just got that the whole cabbage and screen door thing was supposed to be weird 1950s stereotypes

I proud of you for being able to infer context from words. Now maybe you can graduate from picture books!

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
If God don't want gays he shouldn't of given jesus a smokin hot bod

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I proud of you for being able to infer context from words. Now maybe you can graduate from picture books!

Yeah, sorry for not being intimately familiar with the racist ramblings of you and my grandpa

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

A man enters a Greek Orthodox church and expresses to the priest a sincere desire to convert to the faith.

The priest pauses for a moment, considering his duty as a man of God to minister to all who desire to know Jesus, but then remembers the "GREEKS ONLY NO ITALIANS ALLOWED" sign over the door and demands the man get the hell out.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BTW all of those churches you mentioned are more welcoming to outsiders than your average leftist discord.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

DickParasite posted:

BTW all of those churches you mentioned are more welcoming to outsiders than your average leftist discord.

I’m lmaoing at this because it’s true

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, sorry for not being intimately familiar with the racist ramblings of you and my grandpa

And why do you suppose those jokes have fallen out of favor?

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

A man enters a Greek Orthodox church and expresses to the priest a sincere desire to convert to the faith.

The priest pauses for a moment, considering his duty as a man of God to minister to all who desire to know Jesus, but then remembers the "GREEKS ONLY NO ITALIANS ALLOWED" sign over the door and demands the man get the hell out.

The priest would be stoked but the other parishioners definitely think that dude is a weirdo.

Practicing religion is neutral to good. Believing in religion is very very bad. The priest and the converting wierdo are ugly because of their belief. People practicing the religion because that is what their family has always done are partaking in something beautiful.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

The priest would be stoked but the other parishioners definitely think that dude is a weirdo.

Practicing religion is neutral to good. Believing in religion is very very bad. The priest and the converting wierdo are ugly because of their belief. People practicing the religion because that is what their family has always done are partaking in something beautiful.

Could you diagram this out, maybe with triangles or like a 4 corner square and also tell me how it relates to time and natural/unnatural rights?

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

I just need to know if I should invest in purestrain gold or not

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Loden Taylor posted:

I just need to know if I should invest in purestrain gold or not

Wow investing in commodities??? You’re getting a guillotine in the coming revolution my friend.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

And why do you suppose those jokes have fallen out of favor?

Well apparently whatever weird hyper-specific sect of christianity you subscribe to is keeping it alive and well, so I can't possibly start to guess.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

My buddy used to date this Korean woman whose parents were part of one of those super religious Korean churches. They and the rest of their congregation would have been over the loving moon if he'd wanted to convert. Because they asked. All the time.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Here is a song about church corruption

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1LVbNx5JK8

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

My buddy used to date this Korean woman whose parents were part of one of those super religious Korean churches. They and the rest of their congregation would have been over the loving moon if he'd wanted to convert. Because they asked. All the time.

Yeah, because he was dating their daughter.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I’m pretty sure most religions would welcome converts with open arms at this point in time

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Sheen Sheen posted:

I’m pretty sure most religions would welcome converts with open arms at this point in time

That's not really true. My Muslim buddies all basically dropped out because all the Mosques here are entirely built by and for people from the old country and are really unwelcoming to even 2nd generation Americanized muslims. Likewise, there are plenty of non-proselytizing religions and plenty where conversion is straight-up impossible.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Who What Now posted:

Well apparently whatever weird hyper-specific sect of christianity you subscribe to is keeping it alive and well, so I can't possibly start to guess.

I'll give you a hint: the answer is contained within my post that you failed to understand until really thinking about it for a while.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I'll give you a hint: the answer is contained within my post that you failed to understand until really thinking about it for a while.

My guess is the decline of your specific brand of ultra-racist catholicism led to a decline in racism overall. I already know I'm right so will be taking no follow-ups.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Who What Now posted:

My guess is the decline of your specific brand of ultra-racist catholicism led to a decline in racism overall. I already know I'm right so will be taking no follow-ups.

They traded their ethnic identity for whiteness, you dingus.

I mean, Irish and Italians were both die-hard MAGA so it's not like racism has declined overall.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Who What Now posted:

a decline in racism overall.

lol

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

They traded their ethnic identity for whiteness, you dingus.

I mean, Irish and Italians were both die-hard MAGA so it's not like racism has declined overall.

:lmao:

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

People doing anything because of "their family's" identity is why this thread exists, pal

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Infinite Karma posted:

People doing anything because of "their family's" identity is why this thread exists, pal

Right! Which is why people converting to Orthodox (absent dating/marrying an Orthodox person) is weird as gently caress.

Being born Catholic or Orthodox or Muslim or Theravada Buddhist (gets a little wonkier with Mahayana syncretic traditions), etc is fine. Being a loving lunatic who actively believes in something like Protestantism or Ringyo (sp?) or other proselytizing sects is terrifying but at least they are sufficiently orthodox that it makes sense. Converting to an orthoprax religion because you sincerely believe? That's missing the point entirely.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

This is mostly correct, but pedophilia is still rampant in the Orthodox Church. It’s what happens when men have power over others, not some obscure consequence of not marrying another adult.
Yeah, the real difference is that when our clergy get caught, they conveniently decide something or other like the calendar or ecumenism is the greatest threat in the world and join a schismatic jurisdiction.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

This is an impressively bad take that doesn't reflect reality at all given the accounts of people I've seen (some on this very forum) who have converted to Orthodox

"Orthodox Christianity is only allowed for certain nationalities" lol

It is actually a literal heresy in Orthodoxy. Most of the people at my Greek Orthodox parish aren't even Greek.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Keromaru5 posted:

It is actually a literal heresy in Orthodoxy. Most of the people at my Greek Orthodox parish aren't even Greek.

How are we defining "Greek" here? Because it covers a lot of space. The most real Greeks (rhomiós) aren't necessarily related to the modern nation-state of Greece even with the genocide. And there are plenty of other Greek groups that are likewise unrelated to the modern nation-state.

If what you are saying is true, that's really sad because Greek civilization covers a huge space that survived through the Ottoman Empire because of the Greek Orthodox Church.

It'd be profoundly sad if instead of Greeks it was just a bunch of Orthoboos aping dumb poo poo.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

How are we defining "Greek" here? Because it covers a lot of space. The most real Greeks (rhomiós) aren't necessarily related to the modern nation-state of Greece even with the genocide. And there are plenty of other Greek groups that are likewise unrelated to the modern nation-state.

If what you are saying is true, that's really sad because Greek civilization covers a huge space that survived through the Ottoman Empire because of the Greek Orthodox Church.

It'd be profoundly sad if instead of Greeks it was just a bunch of Orthoboos aping dumb poo poo.

"The most real Greeks" lmao what is this racist poo poo.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

By "not Greek," I largely mean Bulgarians, Russians, Ethiopians, and converts like me. There used to be an Egyptian, but he wound up becoming a Russian Orthodox Priest and starting his own parish.

The point is, there is nothing about Orthodoxy that demands a particular ethnicity, no matter how much some nationalists in the old country or the weirdos on Twitter may hope so.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Keromaru5 posted:

By "not Greek," I largely mean Bulgarians, Russians, Ethiopians, and converts like me. There used to be an Egyptian, but he wound up becoming a Russian Orthodox Priest and starting his own parish.

Yeah, the Bulgarians are gonna be Greeks just not from Greece. I'm guessing the Russians, Ethiopians, etc. are just grabbing the closest thing they can. What kind of a place do you live in? I'm guessing that the Russians and Ethiopians can't support their own church without getting insular as hell.

Part of being a tradition means you can fudge.

What's the percentage of weirdo converts? I'm hoping low and it's just folks making do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

Hey goons, I have a question for you who might be involved with the Catholic Church. I grew up going to a mainline Protestant and I’m not really active these days. Most people I grew up going to church with attend this time of year for Christmas Eve and maybe for Easter, but that’s about it.

However, I know quite a few people in my life who are Catholic and despite expressing agnostic beliefs or general indifference, they are pretty loyal to the church. They attend mass at least a couple times a month, and some of them even have kids go to Catholic school. i’ve asked my good friend about this, and for him he goes just because it’s so ingrained in him since childhood he can’t imagine life any other way. It’s just part of life and always will be.

So if you are a practicing Catholic, can I ask why? This is not a thread to debate religion or the history or ethics of any particular Christian denomination, so thanks in advance. I am genuinely curious why Catholics seem to be more loyal to their church as adults than people I know from other Christian traditions. Christmas seemed like a good time to ask this.

im not catholic but i imagine its alot like culturally jewish vs practicing jewish. you go for the networking / friendships. although idk how you can go to a church fighting lgbt rights and protecting pedos. unless youre stealing from the collection plate. i knew a mormon dude who was culturally mormon and stole from the church in the sense that he got a house car and job out of the church but never actually payed the tithe.