Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

my dad posted:

e: I forgot, can you do the import jade -> export jade trick for extra income in this game? I remember you could do it with certain goods in other games when you have both a buyer and seller for it but can't make any on your own.

I think so, you can set the export price for every different trade depot.

I remember doing so with silk later on when the Silk Road opens up and the map doesn't allow mulberry farming. Buy silk from the rest of China, sell it to the Venetians at a massive markup.

E: update last page:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
:siren:
Men of Arms (31:50)

More of a historical focus in this one, looking at the Yellow Emperor and Jade specifically. The scenario itself wraps up the Xia Dynasty and with it the tutorials in Emperor. Metallurgy, government, and military matters are the focus. It's strangely quite a bit shorter and simpler than the opener in Erlitou. Next up is the Shang Dynasty, after we make a little more progress back in Egypt.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It wasn't necessary here, but I do appreciate that you can control heroes as if they were troops. In Zeus, you were at the mercy of the heroes' AI whether Hercules or Theseus would fight against invading forces, or instead patrol some far off field.

Needing a fort to raise troops is a return to how it was Pharaoh (or probably Caesar 3, but Pharaoh was my first game in the series). There are advantages and disadvantages here. You need to find extra space force those forts, and need to supply them with weapons instead of your usually more centrally placed noble housing. On the other hand, you can distribute the forts around your city like Strategic Sage did here, so when you're mustering your troops, they no longer start far from the action in your noble quarter. And they are more professional militaries than the citizen militia from Zeus, which has some cool gameplay implications. Overall, I like Emperor's system better, although Zeus' system was certainly appropriate for the Greek setting.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Not taking damage to save time: the art of outrunning objectives.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
You mentioned that some people would drink ground up jade,. What sort of effects would that have actually had on the body? If someone did it too much would they suffer from Jade Poisoning, or is jade sufficiently inert that it'd just pass through?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

xelada posted:

You mentioned that some people would drink ground up jade,. What sort of effects would that have actually had on the body? If someone did it too much would they suffer from Jade Poisoning, or is jade sufficiently inert that it'd just pass through?

Jade is a mixture of silicon, calcium and magnesium (nephrite) or silicon, sodium and aluminium (jadeite). Of those, typically only aluminium can cause real issues and even then, you either have to breathe fumes of burning metal or eat a TON of it. Magnesium in high doses can also have adverse effects but only if your kidneys are already shot. And FWIW this page lists both varieties of jade (jadeite and nephrite) as "no known case of toxicity"

That being said ; it goes without saying but don't eat rocks, people. Not even the very pretty ones.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kobal2 posted:

Jade is a mixture of silicon, calcium and magnesium (nephrite) or silicon, sodium and aluminium (jadeite). Of those, typically only aluminium can cause real issues and even then, you either have to breathe fumes of burning metal or eat a TON of it. Magnesium in high doses can also have adverse effects but only if your kidneys are already shot. And FWIW this page lists both varieties of jade (jadeite and nephrite) as "no known case of toxicity"

That being said ; it goes without saying but don't eat rocks, people. Not even the very pretty ones.

If nothing else, it's wasteful.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Kobal2 posted:

I thought I'd replied to this already, but this is just really sound life advice in general.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Start of a Dynasty (32:17)

The time of the Shang Dynasty, the first verifiable civilization in ancient China, has begun. Emperor embellishes the backstory, to put it kindly, and has us building a city that already existed, but the timing, placement, and key advances noted for the Shang are all on point. In terms of the scenario itself, this is a step back from Erlitou in what is available to us and the challenge of the scenario; it's the entry point for anyone who skips the Xia thinking they don't need no stinking tutorials.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Microing labour like that feels like it'd get really, really tiresome, very, very fast.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

SIGSEGV posted:

Microing labour like that feels like it'd get really, really tiresome, very, very fast.

I assume he only did it for the early game when there;'s not much else happening. Because I would 100% forget to reman my farms

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Veloxyll posted:

I assume he only did it for the early game when there;'s not much else happening. Because I would 100% forget to reman my farms

This. I don't find it as taxing as some might, partly because I'm taking the 'puzzle' approach to this game; each map is all about finding a way to ramp up as quickly as I can to meet all the objectives, turn a profit before I run out of money, etc. I have stopped moving the labor around in the last couple of settlements once I get through a couple-three years and housing is developed, industries up, etc. It may be of interest that I was already planning to 'skip ahead' at the start of most settlements from here on out; i.e. I think we've seen enough of 'so I'll staff the water fountain and then the inspector and then the food gathering, farm, mill, another inspector, food shop, etc. in that order', so I'll be hopping in probably around the end of the first year where things start to diverge more, unless there's a good reason not to.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Along the Wei (40:22)

It gets a little more complicated to fit what we need in appropriately harmonious locations in our next stop, Baoji. It's also the most complicated trading economy we've seen yet, and we get taxes back along with a new bronze industry. Definitely a step up from Bo in this scenario.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oh I noticed one of the things that used to infuriate me, when you have a guard tower and an inspectors tower right next to each other and then only one of them upgrades to fancy :argh: Why does that happen sometimes? It seems like you have about equivalent gardens and stuff next to them

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

There was less room for gardens around one of them due to the rocks. I *think* that was why that happened; inspector tower had just enough, and watchtower just not enough. I'm not certain however.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

A Temple for Tang (39:44)

Our first megastructure project shows up now, as we return to the site of the first Shang Dynasty scenario in Bo. A lot of changes need to be made to accomodate this project, which takes some time to get built. Also a bit of a 'gift' for the OCD among us in terms of farm layout.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm getting confused between all these cities.

Also here's my checkerboard suggestion: Do the checkerboard again, but, and this is important, switch one single tile of millet with a single tile of cabbage and never ever bring it up, just pretend everything is normal.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
I admit, that checkerboard bothered me more than it should have.

SIGSEGV posted:

Also here's my checkerboard suggestion: Do the checkerboard again, but, and this is important, switch one single tile of millet with a single tile of cabbage and never ever bring it up, just pretend everything is normal.
And this will probably bother me an unreasonable amount. Backing it anyway.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've tried the checkerboard myself and found it mildly inefficient for the farmers as they have to trudge around so much and it looks bad for both immersion and aesthetics. Also it doesn't really do anything since it's still an uneven number of tiles for two crops.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Due to their seasons, when I have cabbage, millet, and wheat available, I put wheat on the outer edge because it's got almost no overlap with the other two, and will have the farmers all for itself. The middle and extra bits of the edge get split evenly between the other two in a way that keeps them grouped up as much as possible.

e: wheat is probably the single most useful crop, due to being planted at least 2 months earlier than any other crop

my dad fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 21, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So does the administrative city need to be connected to my housing loops in any way?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

No. I often put it in some random corner of the map to keep it out of the way.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks! I can't believe how much trouble I'm having with these early missions, I think its that you have to keep building in your old city as you progress and I keep ending up with things like "well if I knew I was going to need 1500 people I'd have left a lot more room in my housing loop 2 missions ago". But I finally got through the tutuorial, no thanks to whatever bug makes the food market just not pick up anything but bland food regardless of how many varieties of food are in the mill.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

That's curious - I've never seen anything like the food bug you are describing. Did you change the food settings in the shop?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Me neither, and I've played through the whole campaign multiple times.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Sometimes it can be a little weird trying to get them to upgrade food level when the market already has a lot of bland in stock. Try deleting the food vendor to reset things and making sure they are set to appetizing (or whatever) only before they send out a new buyer.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 8, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

From what I've found on an impressions games discord its just a thing that sometimes happens. The food stall fills up with bland food, can't sell it because the houses are too evolved and its a hell cycle of everything devolving. Its happened in both my elite and basic housing. Sometimes deleting the food stall fixes it, sometimes adding a second one does but its kind of touch and go. So anyways I've been playing the tutorial for so long in in game years that I've gotten like 23k because this poo poo just keeps happening. I've even restarted the scenario and it happened again. Both food stalls had been perfectly happy selling appetizing food until suddenly they weren't. Its not a question of the food being in the mill, its there, its overflowed to warehouses. I really like this game, its the first one of the impressions games that really clicked for me other than that, so I'll keep playing. Maybe its just in these missions and once I'm done with the tutorial it'll fix it. Otherwise I'm going back to Caesar4.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Guildenstern Mother posted:

From what I've found on an impressions games discord its just a thing that sometimes happens. The food stall fills up with bland food, can't sell it because the houses are too evolved and its a hell cycle of everything devolving. Its happened in both my elite and basic housing. Sometimes deleting the food stall fixes it, sometimes adding a second one does but its kind of touch and go. So anyways I've been playing the tutorial for so long in in game years that I've gotten like 23k because this poo poo just keeps happening. I've even restarted the scenario and it happened again. Both food stalls had been perfectly happy selling appetizing food until suddenly they weren't. Its not a question of the food being in the mill, its there, its overflowed to warehouses. I really like this game, its the first one of the impressions games that really clicked for me other than that, so I'll keep playing. Maybe its just in these missions and once I'm done with the tutorial it'll fix it. Otherwise I'm going back to Caesar4.

I've never experienced what you're talking about. Do you set the option to only take food of the required quality or above? How does your food stall fill up with bland food in the first place?

How many different mills do you keep food in? In order to get the required quality of food, the food ingredients need to be in the same mill. That might be part of the problem.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I have one mill, setting min quality doesn't fix it, the lady just never goes to pick up food. I have no idea what kicks it off because it just randomly happens. I spent 2 in game years watching the food stall/mill like a hawk and she never went there, it was really crazy. Maybe I should try and repair the files?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Repair the files and check the road network. Something really fishy is going on.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If that doesn't fix it, could you post screenshots of the warehouse, warehouse screen, market, and the market screen?

God, I sound like tech support.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Grand Market

Regular Market:

These were taken after fixing the problem by deleting and rebuilding food stalls/putting down more food stalls

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It seems... fine?

Sorry, I have no loving clue what the problem might be.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

GuildernsternMother posted:

Maybe its just in these missions and once I'm done with the tutorial it'll fix it. Otherwise I'm going back to Caesar4.

I'm inclined to think there's something wrong with your install somehow. I played a *lot* on the tutorial missions messing around with things and figuring them out, and didn't see it. If it was a mission-specific problem I definitely would have. have seen funky things happen in one mission - the one coming up actually - but it went away when I restarted. Had nothing to do with food, people wouldn't immigrate because of high taxes when taxes weren't at all high. But again I just restarted the scenario and it was fine.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah I repaired the install and it seems fine. At least I didn't have it in the next mission.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The only issue I've seen has been housing districts devolving because they randomly lost religious access from the walker suddenly refusing to spawn for a while. But it was only late campaign maps with large cities and before I started using warehouses to store crops so the farms had tons and tons of delivery walkers standing around so it might have been an issue from simply having too many walkers. Of course it was about two decades ago so chances are I might not remember/understand it perfectly. But I didn't see it again after properly storing stuff so who knows?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Walls of Zhengzhou (46:41)

For the first time to date, I couldn't do this scenario in the intended way and keep the 'Pristine' approach. I was compelled to find alternate sources of resources instead. We also get to see some new concepts in trade, dealing with rivers, and the Palace.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Completely unrelated, but your fishermen are using cormorants to fish, with neck rings to prevent them from eating the fish, IIRC. Cormorants are pretty cute birds. Also a pretty serious way to get rare nutrients back from erosion, they leave the land and go into water, water ecosystem uses them and they end up in anything and then in fish, fish exist in rivers or swim them up from the sea (salmons, lots of salmons) and get eaten, cormorants go perch up in a tree and poop out once upon a time fish bits.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

That's the kind of thing that's very much on topic for this project. I like those sort of tidbits, even if they are tangents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

A Move To Yin (39:31)

Yin, the final capital of the Shang capital, is another city of considerable importance historically. It's also a bit murky when and why the move occurred, but a lot of Shang artifacts were discovered here. On the gameplay side, we need to import some basics but have a good amount of money and space, so I found this map to be a step back in terms of difficulty from a couple of the previous ones.