Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Kobal2 posted:

That's kind of an issue with Pharaoh and to some extent Emperor as well : the games are really bad at making the average player understand the full scale and span of time.
In Pharaoh, you'd come back to the same city some generations down the line - in that sort of timeframe it was really not out of the ordinary for small villages to be swallowed by the sands or abandoned because the houses were turning to poo poo or the soil was getting poor. But it's OK because this was before landlords so you'd just pick up sticks and build a whole new village from scratch a few kilometers up or downriver - take about a summer to do so, while nobody's working too hard.
In Emperor you sometimes pop back into your old cities and outposts entire *dynasties* down the line... and nothing has changed, everything's still there. The architecture of whatever New Stuff you've unlocked since fits right in with the Old Stuff that's literally centuries old at that point.

My point is : history is very, very long and humans (or at least their fashions) change very, very fast in comparison. But you couldn't really tell playing those games. That's one thing Ancestors does better - between your starting hunter-gatherers in leather tents & lean-tos and your bronze age fortified farmers armed to the teeth, it's night and day both visually and in terms of gameplay/strategy/primary concerns.

Although IIRC there is one pair of missions in Emperor that does convey Time better. The Great Wall saga. Your first effort is to build a giant ditch & wall of rammed earth. By the time you come back, this time to build a section of the Great Wall proper, all that remains of your original effort (and it was a monument that took ages to build !) is a few sections of vaguely elevated mud.

To a point, but you need to combine the game with history somehow. I absolutely abhor building the same basic, often cookie cutter poo poo every start of the mission. If there's a challenge involved in the set-up, perhaps, but going "here build a pyramid you start with two sticks and a rock" for the 10th time irks me to no end - it's why I completely dropped They are billions campaign mode, for example. I don't care how thematically appropriate it is. I don't want to spend an hour of afking my brain putting down copy-pasted optimal grid designs on a slightly different canvas, I'm here for the mission challenge. Giving your old city back unchanged is a gameplay concession of both letting you see how much you've grown (or not) your skill and giving you a (hopefully) solid base to actually start playing the mission and not putting down housing squares mindlessly for an hour before even bothering to read mission requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU