Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

TL;DR: The problem is "solved" as in I can get the PC to work without errors by removing the second ram kit, but is this a common issue/is it even possible

It is an unfortunately common issue. The actual memory chips used in RAM are only made by a handful of companies - Samsung, Micron, and Hynix being the biggest suppliers. There are some other manufacturers, but nowhere near as common. Companies like G.Skill or Corsair or whomever produce RAM with memory chips from one of these suppliers, and it can be damnably difficult to tell exactly which one. If you go back through the AMD thread you'll see discussions of this and programs like Thaiphoon Burner which can help ID the memory chip manufacturer.

Since a particular line of RAM is mostly sold on how they look and the overall speed, you can end up with identically-branded RAM from the same manufacturer using different memory chips. This is especially problematic on AMD systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Yeah I knew about the big 3 and when I researched for the best RAM I could find for my system, I emailed corsair reps about reliability of getting a kit known for using samsung ram chips. They told me the information was confidential and they could not confirm/deny that the kit I would order would absolutely have those ram chips.

I emailed GSKILL about the issue, they replied to send CPUZ reports/pictures of the kit and determined that it is indeed counterfeit. I returned it to the seller.

Wow - glad to hear G.Skill was on top of it, at least. I think the last 64GB of RAM I've bought were all G.Skill and I've been happy with them, but it's good to hear their customer service being responsive.