Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

goatface posted:

It means everything in the wasteland between the coasts.

IE all of America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

GABA ghoul posted:

That's not what the numbers are saying. I've talked to them and they say that rural areas are dying pretty much everywhere in the developed world. The MAGA revolution is basically a last desperate attempt to make these places relevant again before they become totally depopulated wastelands and shooting locations for horror movies about inbred mutants abducting campers or whatever

As a rural liver, the more depopulation the better imo.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Hasturtium posted:

Honestly, I figured it was a good time and was sad I couldn't make it over there. Cat and dog shoes are swell, what's not to like? But that advertising struck me as very much in line with the content of this thread.

I don't know about cat shows but dog shows often encourage breeding that isn't good for the health of the resultant dogs.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Hasturtium posted:

Honestly, you and zedprime are right. I'd like to believe the situation is more benevolent than it is. I just miss pets and people after being home since March.

There's plenty of amazing dog breeding going on in America, just not around shows.

Shiloh shepherd, German shepherd crossed with malamute

Alahapa blue bulldog.

Smackdillion posted:

This thread makes me smile

Me too. As a dirty foreigner there's something I love about America that I just can't put my finger on. Maybe it's the freedom to be whatever sort of bizarre gently caress up you want.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Americana and everything rural is better than any amusement park.

This may have been true some years ago but Hezbollah opened an amusement park recently.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

Like, you use tomato juice to REMOVE scent from animals. By it's nature it takes scent away from things.

Like, do I just tip a bottle of pasata on my dog Stinky?

Weka
May 5, 2019

I would like to offer my profound apologies for mentioning Alahapa without posting hogzilla, but better late than never.

E: re peanuts, wikipedia informs me peanuts are usually dehydrated prior to being sold "raw" and that what you want for boiling is a green peanut, although it is possible to rehydrate dehydrated raw peanuts by soaking.

EE: do you think I can boil shelled peanuts? Will this be even close?

Weka fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 5, 2021

Weka
May 5, 2019

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Alapaha.

It's an area I've been through a bunch. Not too far from Fitzgerald, where they have wild chickens roaming the streets and they're drat proud of it. Fitzgerald is building a giant topiary chicken they hope becomes a tourist attraction.

Cheers.

Weka
May 5, 2019

china bot posted:

here's my favorite Ohio street name:

I stumbled across an old headstone one day while killing time waiting for a ferry with nothing but a date and "Baby Cleaver" on it.

Weka
May 5, 2019

No high fructose corn syrup? In this most American of dishes?!

Ingredients
POTATOES, MAYONNAISE (SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, CORN SYRUP, EGG YOLK, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% DISTILLED VINEGAR, SALT, MUSTARD FLOUR, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA [TO PROTECT QUALITY]), CELERY, SWEET PICKLE RELISH (PICKLES, SUGAR, DISTILLED VINEGAR, SALT, XANTHAN GUM, ALUM, NATURAL SPICE FLAVORS), WHITE MUSTARD (VINEGAR, WATER, MUSTARD SEED), ONION, SUGAR, SALT, POTASSIUM SORBATE (TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS), BLACK PEPPER, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR).

Oh, just regular corn syrup, fine, good.

Weka
May 5, 2019

By normal weight, do you mean about 200 pounds? That's apparently average for an adult American man.

Weka
May 5, 2019

This all just sounds like an American version of a market.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah the US is nothing like a country or a standard nation state. That's an insane comparison.

It's a crazy carnival with cows and pigs and deep fried absolutely everything. The more outrageous and unhealthy the more popular you'll be. And Styx, Great White, or other forgotten 80's bands will probably be playing on stage too.

Edit: /\
New tfr thread idea: what shotgun rounds can I buy to increase the weight of my pukins?

Weka fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 11, 2021

Weka
May 5, 2019

I'm hoping in 5 or 10 years to take up competitive plowing.

Weka
May 5, 2019

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty

Weka
May 5, 2019

And now I've seen mini golf rabbit ahegao.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Please do.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Abongination posted:

I am a better person now having discovered mutton bustin'

This phrase refers to something else here in New Zealand.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Aardvark! posted:

Americana email I got from Nextdoor:

It lines up perfectly with your avatar, down to the misidentification of the critter.

Anywho, I just wanted to thank you for this thread, it's a lot of fun.

Weka
May 5, 2019

CPL593H posted:

I wasn't expecting this thread to take a turn that lead to pages of discussion of cum and why milk is bad.

This is basically a forum for discussing cum and why things are bad.

Weka
May 5, 2019

In another win for America, I present the deep fried gravy burger.

Weka
May 5, 2019

teardrop posted:

What are we looking at? Is that a lump of gravy scooped out of a fryer and placed on a burger??

Exactly

Cythereal posted:

The only good British food I've ever had was in pubs. Forget proper restaurants, just get beer with your fish and chips.

Seriously, Brits. If you want a reputation for good food, stop shagging your sheep and start eating them.

Hey, that's just the Welsh! Not that I'm one to cast stones, being a kiwi.

This looks a lot like my old mates place which sadly was or is about to be demolished by the landlords.

Regarding lamb, wikipedia has informed me that Americans refer to all sheep meat as lamb. Is this correct? Barring of course aforementioned Spanish etc words.
I love lamb, but (and please don't tell my fellow members of the local sheep fanciers association) goat is my favorite.

Weka
May 5, 2019

My mom brought her own booze anyway.

Wait, you can't bring booze into a dry county? I thought you just couldn't buy it.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I like bbq boar. boar taint ain’t no thang.

Nonsense, the taint is the best part.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Don't think I ever eat lamb (Finland here), it's expensive as gently caress, even more so than beef and it's shipped in from places like New Zealand which is just crazy. I think it's mainly eaten here for easter.

Here in NZ we have a lot of Finnish pork ribs for some reason. It's the only meat we import in quantity.

His Divine Shadow posted:

When I was a kid my grandparents had two sheep they raised from lambs, I think they got slaughtered at 1 year or so. I remember I like the smoked meat. I think that's technically mutton then and not lamb, but I didn't feel it had any off taste to it.

But I am otherwise unsure how to utilize lamb or mutton, easiest would be ground up I guess. But it's too expensive for that. Maybe it'd be cheaper if people started eating mutton again.

From 1-2 years it's hogget.

Just would like to mention in NZ we have a native owl called the morepork.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

i cant afford a boat lol i sit my rear end on the shore like everyone else, I just found a little inlet no one goes to that i run line across

How do you catch crabs on a line?

Weka
May 5, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Obviously. Malort means "moth place" and the mothman is a distinctly American delusion.

The moth man is REAL, Jerry.

Weka
May 5, 2019

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

This except mine is really short only 20 feet specifically made for the area I go to. Its way simpler than this so I can use it from the shore, instead of needing a rowboat. They are legal in MD with a cheap permit and I should probably just get a crab pot already lol. But yeah its a crab noose.

Does the crab just stumble into the noose, like it's not baited or anything? There must be a heck of a lot of crabs there. Do you mostly catch them by the pincers?

This thread is just confirming for me that I need to do a food tour of America.

Weka
May 5, 2019

This obviously wrong to anyone with an understanding of the progression of time bible 'quote' is VERY Americana.

Weka
May 5, 2019

I'm just going to presume based on the sheer quantity of garlic those basques were actually fleeing hapsburg vampires.

Weka
May 5, 2019

WaryWarren posted:

re: turkish delish

Turks are white, too. Probably not to Redneck America but still, someone's got to say it!

Next you'll be telling me many Hispanic people are white.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Accretionist posted:

ftfy

People don't eat enough beans. :colbert:

If we are going to turn this mess around, people have got to eat more beans.

Embrace to fartshed.

VideoTapir posted:

White is a concept that only has meaning in a racist context, and who is or isn't white has been defined pretty much exclusively by overt racists. I am not sure it's a game we need to play if they aren't playing, too.

Not wrong.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Fun fact: This dish is also called, and I quote

Bünnik, Dätsch, Klappertüt, Klümpes, Knabbeldanz, Knabbedapp, Krüppels/ Kröppels, Krupüt, Prinz, Puttes and Tüt / Tüüt

The true poetry of the German language only becomes apparent when describing pork products.

The Bloop posted:

I briefly worked at a factory where we made those frozen breaded fish triangles that you might buy in the frozen food section. They were breaded on a wire mesh conveyer belt that went through an oven and then directly through a flash freezer. In between, they were inspected for quality. All around them on the conveyer were those little guys. They were considered waste. You could stand there and eat then off the line in infinite numbers like an I Love Lucy sketch

It was the only thing about that job that wasn't a nightmare

This is peak Americana and I love it.

Big Beef City posted:

Hushpuppies are one of those things that I always wanted to like and have reason NOT to, but I'm just not a fan :(
Kinda weird because I'm a GIANT fan of falafel, which, at least in partial theory are similar (deep fried starch balls), but hushpuppies I try every3,4 years or so and just shrug 'em off

Legume supremacy.

Also I'm pretty sure that one dude has swallowed Prince whole.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Dang read as shaft miner the first time around and I was FULL of questions.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

Don't see any vampries around, do you

Certainly not when I look in the mirror anyway.

Weka
May 5, 2019

An extremely elaborate harness so a dog can sit in a seat? That's Americana right there.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The best beer and cheese and wine are coming from the US right now. And more cheaply and accessible than from Europe.

Hell beer and wine alone, WI by itself has got the whole of the continent beat.

I would have thought Wisconsin was on the cold side for wine production.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

wine loving sucks

I loving suck (back bottles of wine).

Weka
May 5, 2019

I didn't realise Walmart was a monarchy.

Weka
May 5, 2019

IMO comparing Lenin to Stalin is a grave insult.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Ok I'm sorry. I was a bit worked up last night about unrelated BS and I said some dumb poo poo.

Let's move on and talk about the good ol' country of America!

Here's something we've all seen!

Way to flex your privilege as an American.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Spain was an empire in decline. President McKinley was hungry for colonies and looking for an excuse to declare war on Spain, so when the USS Maine exploded while docked in Cuba, the US declared war, and seized Guam, Puerto Rico, Cuba, and the Philippines.

The first two are still US colonies. Cuba and the Philippines were given independence from Spain, but for all intents and purposes they also became colonies of the US until the 1950's.

The Phillipines were completely a US colony until the 30s and partially until the Japanese invaded.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insular_Government_of_the_Philippine_Islands

I wasn't sure about Cuba so I looked it up and I'm just going to drop a couple wiki quotes that suggest it was de jure and de facto a US colony. Just for you, forums poster yikes!
"Under Cuba's new constitution, the U.S. retained the right to intervene in Cuban affairs and to supervise its finances and foreign relations."
"The U.S. intervened by occupying Cuba and named Charles Edward Magoon as Governor for three years." (1906)

Weka
May 5, 2019

Weka
May 5, 2019

It's not just a terrible opinion but it's delivered in an unconstructive and unfunny way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The New York Strip is the hamburger of steaks.

Just a big bland slab of meat that you can easily consume.

And it's what I order, all the time.

It's my least favorite cut of beef. I'd rather tail or ground buttholes. I guess I don't have a good beef rib recipe.