Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Jakosa posted:

I love it when insurance works and I get a mail from Prapor with a single magazine in it. Money well spent! :D
That sometimes happens when you don't have enough space to put the mag back into rig when reloading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
NPC scavs can be traitors? That's fun

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
no lol

did you walk into boss guards/a boss?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
"hey did that scav just flip me off"

"oh no"

"OH NO MY FACE"

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
It's been a long time since I played so sorry if this is a silly question: Do scav bosses "announce" themselves sometimes? I was watching Aqua play with Pestily and when they approached one of the spawns for the streets boss there were like 5 shots fired seemingly into the air. They were not aggored yet to the boss.

Could have been a coincidence, but I thought that was interesting choice.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Was just doing some pscav grocery shopping at interchange when I rounded a corner and this dude started blasting. Got him and the +rep and traitor scav kill but I thought it wasn't a player since at the end he just had his lil scav name but I guess that's just if you get killed by a pscav. more u kno

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mesadoram posted:

It's been a long time since I played so sorry if this is a silly question: Do scav bosses "announce" themselves sometimes? I was watching Aqua play with Pestily and when they approached one of the spawns for the streets boss there were like 5 shots fired seemingly into the air. They were not aggored yet to the boss.

Could have been a coincidence, but I thought that was interesting choice.

I don't think so usually, though they have associated voice lines and you can often tell if they'll be present by whether or not there is the shortly-after-start-of-raid lag spike from scavs spawning in (or by the expedient of chucking a grenade)

that said, Shturman at least will periodically fire warning/bait shots on woods, but I believe he's the only boss that does that

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

LGD posted:

I don't think so usually, though they have associated voice lines and you can often tell if they'll be present by whether or not there is the shortly-after-start-of-raid lag spike from scavs spawning in (or by the expedient of chucking a grenade)

that said, Shturman at least will periodically fire warning/bait shots on woods, but I believe he's the only boss that does that

That makes sense. Also, Shturman doing that makes sense as he and his guards are bastards.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
The goons also kill any ai scavs that unfortunately spawn near them too I think. If the goons spawned they're usually the first gunshots you'll hear on the map.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I've always liked to think that the bosses are like the FFXIV primals, summoned by the scavs into our world in times of need and desperation.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I've started Punisher part 1 and I have a hard time finding scavs on Shoreline. I'm three raids in and I have 2 PMC kills and 0 scav kills so far. Where are they?

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Jakosa posted:

I've started Punisher part 1 and I have a hard time finding scavs on Shoreline. I'm three raids in and I have 2 PMC kills and 0 scav kills so far. Where are they?

As long as you get there first you are pretty much guaranteed kills from the sniper scavs at the bunker behind the resort and at the power station.

Other than that, just stay in the raid until the final few minutes and bounce between the weather station, the power station, and the gas station.

I think this may be my best ever raid, especially as i did it dressed as a blueberry and disconnected half way through.

Incoming Chinchilla fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 10, 2024

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
Is there a good explanation of the health system somewhere? I had a fight with another PMC where I hit him 21 times with 9x19 AP 6.3 ammo and did 417 damage (and 454 damage absorbed by armor). He hit me twice with 7.62x54R LPS rounds. I died and he did not.

After the fight, my health screen looked like this:

I don't really understand why the fight went the way it did.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The short of the health system is that if your torso or head get blacked ie 0hp, you die. Your other zones can get blacked and it's not an insta-death, but the damage then flows to the next most central zone. With the caveat that hits to a blacked stomach deal extra damage, like 1.3x iirc. While the pass through damage from leg/arm hits is lessened.

That's why the leg meta is a thing, they're not armored by any rig or carrier and once they're blacked the damage will rapidly knock them out. Aiming for the legs likely would have won you the fight, since you landed so many hits. AP 6.3 is a middling round and I expect your target had class 4 plates so you were effectively shooting bbs. I'm not sure if that damage dealt number is in addition to the damage absorbed by armor, if it is you got him to within a whisker of death lol.

The lil skull indicates you died by an LPS hit to the chest, it doesn't have enough damage to one shot so he hit you with both rounds in the chest.

Anyway the wiki has a rundown of the system here: https://escapefromtarkov.fandom.com/wiki/Health_system

Arrath fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 11, 2024

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jakosa posted:

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

As long as you get there first you are pretty much guaranteed kills from the sniper scavs at the bunker behind the resort and at the power station.

Other than that, just stay in the raid until the final few minutes and bounce between the weather station, the power station, and the gas station.

yep - the other non-resort areas you can get scav kills are the southern and eastern roads, the western village and houses, scav island off the sw coast, the woods nw of the flooded village, and the scavenger camp

you're usually only looking at a couple scavs per spot, with occasional exceptions of big groups at the village/houses, which is where I'd recommend you look if you end up bouncing around the western side (with a peek at scav island if you've got an optic to pick them off at long range)

so yeah, bounce around and spend a chunk of time in raid to let them spawn in - you can also do village/scav camp volume loot runs (exfil out via lighthouse or car extracts respectively), which tend to only get ~2-5 scav kills per run but avoid pvp/give an injection of cash and let you reset in ~10-15m

e:

Arrath posted:

That's why the leg meta is a thing, they're not armored by any rig or carrier and once they're blacked the damage will rapidly knock them out. Aiming for the legs likely would have won you the fight, since you landed so many hits. AP 6.3 is a middling round and I expect your target had class 4 plates so you were effectively shooting bbs. I'm not sure if that damage dealt number is in addition to the damage absorbed by armor, if it is you got him to within a whisker of death lol.

it's in addition so yes, extremely close to death

and they were almost certainly running class 5-6 plates, AP6.3 punches right through soft armor and chews up class 4 plates in ~3-5 hits (which doesn't take long at the ROF/practical accuracy/recoil of most 9mms), it's quite a decent close-range round this wipe and you're usually way, way, way better off spraying for the upper torso/head than trying to leg someone - you can get got as they did here/by slamming a half dozen rounds perfectly into a Tagilla mask (happened to me) ofc, but it's much more likely you slip a couple around a PMCs plates or into their throat and take them out significantly faster than you would going for their legs

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 11, 2024

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I managed to get my Shoreline scav kills. I got a lot at the farm in the NE corner of the map. I think that's a new area added recently?

Now I'm on Reserve doing Punisher part 2. That's a hard map to exit :D I'm using the sewer manhole without a backpack. The other extract points seem tough.

Thanks for the explanations of the health system. I guess with a 9x19 pea-shooter I need to get better at getting headshots.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

yeah D-2 tends to be super-contested so if you're solo questing rather than trying to extract loot manhole is probably the way you want to go if you don't have a Red Rebel - which imo is worth considering picking up, since it's extremely helpful on Shoreline (and Lighthouse to a lesser extent) and the Jaeger barter trade isn't at all bad (works out to something like ~1.4-1.6m if you don't overpay for the components on flea, which depending on how you're doing will likely sound either prohibitively steep or trivial :) )

I do wish Reserve had better loot, it's a fun map (despite some of the spawns) but isn't currently doing much to incentivize people to stay up top instead of thunderdoming in the bunker, and the degree to which it's a pain in the rear end to extract is not really commensurate with what's on offer

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Kazinsal posted:

On the other hand, dressing up an ADAR as some kind of meta M4 and getting it back in insurance when the person who killed me loots it and goes "oh you've gotta be loving kidding me" is one of the finer things in Tarkov life.

I part strip those and vendor the parts.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Tricked out ADARs gently caress, I've a suppressed shorty ADAR build thats over 100 erg, ADS is pretty much instant.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Shannow posted:

Tricked out ADARs gently caress, I've a suppressed shorty ADAR build thats over 100 erg, ADS is pretty much instant.

Oooh sounds fun, could you post a screenshot / parts list?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I like my 3x5 RFB gunbomination, which I've received back multiple times due to (I assume) being inconvenient and ugly

it is actually quite good, it uses the 3-12x schmitt and bender scope which is like 50k on flea and extremely clear/good at range, the rangefinder fixes the "can't attach a tactical device" issue the RFB has, and the romeo has clear sightlines/works well up close/adds probably ~20k to the cost, you get the performance of a good optic at like 1/2 to 2/3 the price and make the gun look unattractive/a pain in the rear end to deal with

actual issues with the build are that it takes up a decent chunk of screen real-estate due to being tall + the romeo has some height over bore issues that usually don't matter

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

unpurposed posted:

Oooh sounds fun, could you post a screenshot / parts list?

Can go cheaper on the front end as well if you can get over the fughly colour (i have no idea why you cant use the black one with the short barrel, i think the black Viper handguard is about the same stat wise also)

Just about any optic of choice will do, Im running 20's for the extra erg boost, plus they reload SUPER fast, and if you're stuck on that mission where you have to kill motherfuckers with a scav vest and balaclava on, you're getting more ammo per slot in your rig as well as having more than one spare mag ready to go.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
That looks super fun! Will try it out, thank you!

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

quote:

Just about any optic of choice will do, Im running 20's for the extra erg boost, plus they reload SUPER fast, and if you're stuck on that mission where you have to kill motherfuckers with a scav vest and balaclava on, you're getting more ammo per slot in your rig as well as having more than one spare mag ready to go.

I've sworn by 20 rounders for punisher but everyone tells me I'm wrong so nice to see I'm not alone. 20 rounders also let you use a salewa which imo is better than an ifak or afak.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I needed a half mask for Punisher 2, so I thought I'd go to Customs and kill some scavs. I spawned near Old Gas Station and went into Warehouse 3. I killed a scav and that caused more scavs to come in a steady stream. I was enjoying myself, chilling and killing scavs.

After a while, a couple of PMCs started running around outside, saying that I'd been inside for 20 minutes and I'd have to move sometime. So they'd been camping outside, waiting for me to come out for 20 minutes. And finally lost their patience.

I managed to kill one of them and then the other one got me. But I still consider that raid a big win :D

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I'm the type of player that never uses a potion in a CRPG. And never uses a scope in Tarkov.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.
Why insure the one on the bottom right then?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
it's like pinning your first dollar

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jakosa posted:

I'm the type of player that never uses a potion in a CRPG. And never uses a scope in Tarkov.

what do you use instead though?

because I am also that sort of player and Tarkov's enabling of my hoarding and cheapskate tendencies definitely plays into my growing pile of optics, but I also recognize that it's one of the best things to spend money on after I reach the my "can't possibly ever go broke" mental threshold for cash accumulation

the thing that prevents me from running expensive scopes is that I feel like I've got to have pretty a specific need to do something other than just slapping an ELCAN on top of almost every gun I run, because it's the price of a mid-tier holo sight, has a nice wide and clear field of view with a decent reticle, and does everything you need at any ranges under actual-sniping, so why "risk" anything more expensive? (even if barters make those other things relatively comparable in practical terms, as is the case with the TAC30 and often the Valday)

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

LGD posted:

because I am also that sort of player and Tarkov's enabling of my hoarding and cheapskate tendencies definitely plays into my growing pile of optics, but I also recognize that it's one of the best things to spend money on after I reach the my "can't possibly ever go broke" mental threshold for cash accumulation

the thing that prevents me from running expensive scopes is that I feel like I've got to have pretty a specific need to do something other than just slapping an ELCAN on top of almost every gun I run, because it's the price of a mid-tier holo sight, has a nice wide and clear field of view with a decent reticle, and does everything you need at any ranges under actual-sniping, so why "risk" anything more expensive? (even if barters make those other things relatively comparable in practical terms, as is the case with the TAC30 and often the Valday)

The elcan is nice, but it has a useless iron-sight which is annoying if you want to use a canted reflex.

Other scopes have better zoom modes. In a very EFT fasion, one scopes "1x" will be different to another scopes "1x".

To be fair to the Elcan, the below reddit thread has it at a true 0.9x-3.9x so it is accurately described, but the TAC30 (also 1x-4x) actually has a 1.1x-4.9x

https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/11p20dh/why_dont_they_just_set_the_scopes_to_the_correct

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Nutsak posted:

Why insure the one on the bottom right then?

Because I needed it to fill out the weapons case. It bothered me more than it should, that there was an insured one there. Luckily, I've since gotten some more :D I simply can't stop picking up those Kvass bottles.

LGD posted:

Usually I go with a cheap loadout and feel like a tac30 would be out of place on something like an AKS-74U. On those I just use the MRS reflex sight. The insured tac30 in the picture was put on a silenced SKS where it felt appropriate.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

The elcan is nice, but it has a useless iron-sight which is annoying if you want to use a canted reflex.

Other scopes have better zoom modes. In a very EFT fasion, one scopes "1x" will be different to another scopes "1x".

To be fair to the Elcan, the below reddit thread has it at a true 0.9x-3.9x so it is accurately described, but the TAC30 (also 1x-4x) actually has a 1.1x-4.9x

https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/11p20dh/why_dont_they_just_set_the_scopes_to_the_correct

well sure, but the point is that its zoom modes are good enough and cover you for most of the ranges you'll actually be fighting at, which just makes it a "what am I actually getting for the extra money?" question that I feel often isn't answered particularly well, especially once you take other aspects of the scopes into account (i.e. continuing with the TAC30 example, going from ~4x -> ~5x is obviously more than just a reticle, but the ELCAN is less prone to some of the scope shadow issues the TAC30 can have on certain platforms)

obviously I'll run a different scope if I'm attempting 80-100m engagements for quest purposes or w/e, but if I'm just running around I find that 3.9x just fine for putting bullets on target

also, while it's rarely used, I find the iron-sight a pure benefit for my purposes

they're genuinely awful sights/flatly unacceptable as a primary means of aiming and have a rare but obnoxious zoom bug associated with them, but they also let you do a pseudo open-sight thing that maximizes your peripheral vision while staying ADS'd, which can be super helpful in some circumstances (say when you're behind defilade and you don't know quite where an enemy is going to crest a ridge at close range)

they would make using a canted sight annoying, but I wouldn't use the ELCAN for a canted build in the first place - the whole point of running an ELCAN for me is that it's supposed to cover all reasonable scenarios at a budget price, if I wanted to go canted (which I usually don't b/c it isn't a great option budget or weight/ergo-wise) I'd also want higher zoom and/or a less fussy optic to pair with my delta point (or w/e)

it is good to look at that chart again though because it does explain why I've been liking the "3x" of the 34mm S&B PMII 3-12 so much, since 2.7x is actually a fairly useful zoom level a lot of the time

Jakosa posted:

Usually I go with a cheap loadout and feel like a tac30 would be out of place on something like an AKS-74U. On those I just use the MRS reflex sight. The insured tac30 in the picture was put on a silenced SKS where it felt appropriate.
ok that totally makes sense and aligns with what I do with 74us, I think it's that my budget (and "budget") builds have tended more towards things like the RFB, SKS, and autos like the AUG this wipe (though I also can/have slapped ELCANs on MP9-Ns because why not?)

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
I've probably about hit the end of this wipe for me since most the missions that remain are ones I have little interest in, but I wanted to share that if you are a seasoned player and enjoy the pre-flea feel of the game where specific loot is actually important and not just a $/square math problem that you really should consider doing a no or limited flea market run.

It's soooo good. So good.

If you have the mindset of 'I gotta install all the hideout stuff I have available asap', you need to stop it to pull this off. I had it, I get it, but tell you what? It's really not a big deal if most of the non-crafting hideout stuff just doesn't get installed until you get around to it.

I didn't find the last edrill I needed for workbench2 until I was level 25 and I about poo poo my pants trying to get it out of the raid. I love that this game makes my heart race, but if I was buying that drill off flea I'd just need to pull out pretty much any 4 items FIR and I could probably sell them for about what an edrill costs. There's no stakes there so you lose much of those Tarkov highs we all love (and the corresponding lows).

This wipe I landed on deleting my whole starting stash other than my secure and I could only use flea for consumables (food/ammo/meds), quest keys, and quest items (or the barter items to immediately craft quest items - this was to not fall behind too far with my group).

Deleting the stash gave a really fun early game going into my first raid with absolutely nothing, finding a pm pistol with 3 rounds in a gym bag and snowballing with the kit from a couple scav kills on the way out. I love that this means that everything in my inventory is something I personally earned... but it made the early game into a cash grind that I didn't enjoy so much. Eventually the stash fills up anyway and since I wasn't allowing myself to buy the barter stuff for containers that became kinda annoying at points. The really interesting thing here was after getting established cash very quickly became mostly meaningless to me and for anyone who has played this game and got to that point before, you know this is an amazing place to be.

I'm thinking next time I might sell all the starting items off to give me some seed money but still keep the idea that all things I have are things I earned. To balance this a bit I'm considering only allowing myself to purchase consumables with cash and only barters for anything else until level 5 or 10 to keep that starting from scratch feeling for a little bit. At that point allow buying vendor stuff with cash, then when flea opens up I'll use the same limits listed above except adding in the ability to buy containers or the barter items for containers off flea to help with my space issues. I'm hoping that the sell off fixes the early money grind and that allowing containers gives me something to do with cash and should help solve the space problems.

I'd do something closer to the full hardcore ruleset if I had more time to play, but since I'm a 2 night a week semi-casual and frankly a mediocre pvp player at best, that one's a hard pass from me.

Anyone else do any self-imposed rules that might be cool to consider?

Fancy_Lad fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 18, 2024

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Pacifist run

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I attempted this wipe to save my scavs gear as presets and limit my pmc to only using those presets (excluding ammo and meds). Anything taken out of raid was fair use to use also

I got lazy real quick after killing kitted pmcs and using their gear instead and stopped following my own rules.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
Is it simply a bug that Skier (I'm at LL3) has two identical ADARs for sale with one costing twice as much as the other? Or is there some sense behind it?

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

Jakosa posted:

Is it simply a bug that Skier (I'm at LL3) has two identical ADARs for sale with one costing twice as much as the other? Or is there some sense behind it?

There is a bug this patch were the lower receivers are showing up in the store as guns with stock attachments. M4A1 and the hk lower are transformed as well and a few others I can't remember, but all of them are missing. Confirmation was in some Gigabeef 'unlisted patch changes' video from earlier in the wipe.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
About what point in my Tarkov career am I going to remember to put the filled up magazines in the gun before entering a raid?

And check if I need food and water?

It's so embarrassing to find an enemy, line up a headshot and hear the gun go *click* when I press the trigger.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Jakosa posted:

About what point in my Tarkov career am I going to remember to put the filled up magazines in the gun before entering a raid?

It's so embarrassing to find an enemy, line up a headshot and hear the gun go *click* when I press the trigger.

This is me every time I go into a raid with a mosin. Oh yeah, load it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jakosa posted:

from inspecting the profiles of other people in lobbies, a significant amount of people are going into raids with unloaded guns lol