Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
no arena is bad. very, very bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Neon Belly posted:

Do people play Arena?

Nah. BSG looked at the landscape of competitive shooters (CS, Valorant, even Overwatch etc) and decided that they'd implement their own take on a progression system into the competitive mode. It's total nonsense, very frustrating and doesn't even approach the idea of creating a balanced metagame. Plus it has all of the desync & netcode problems that typical Tarkov has, which are barely acceptable in the main game but which undermine the very idea that arena is even remotely fair.

All they had to do was recreate Counter-Strike with their excellent guns & ballistics models and they completely hosed it up. Something tells me they've been high on the success of EFT for a long time, thinking that it's success means they are innovators who don't need to iterate on games that came before them. Hubris and all that.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it's not even their own take, it's basically just like warthunder progression slapped onto an arena tarkov mode

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SPTarkov Discord Announcements posted:

Hey everyone, there is currently a massive influx of new users to both the Discord and SPT itself.

This is resulting in a high load on the website, leading to long response times and timeouts. We're doing what we can to alleviate these issues, but please be patient and try not to constantly refresh the page if it's taking a long time to respond.

If you are unable to install SPT using the SPT Installer, please wait and try again later.

gee I wonder why…

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

tjones posted:

Someone just posted clips of one of the tarkov streamers installing SPT live on twitch and another of Pestily recommending you buy crack or strippers with the $100 it would take for EOD owners to upgrade.

Public facing SPT development is absolutely over. You guys better clone repos now and pull backups.

The site has been loving awful today all day too. I think their servers are on fire with so many people downloading it.

I did a 2nd, fresh install just to make sure I have a clean copy should the need arise.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

fknlo posted:

Outside of the obvious contempt they've always had for the people that play their games, the theories speculating that this is to help recover from the bath they took developing arena for it to flop make a lot of sense.

All the financials are public, the company is run out of the UK officially and you can literally see everything up the the most recent year. How much Nikita was paying himself etc etc..

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

All the financials are public, the company is run out of the UK officially and you can literally see everything up the the most recent year. How much Nikita was paying himself etc etc..

For some reason I'm reminded of the time Lowtax leased two Nissan GT-Rs as company cars for Something Awful LLC.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The sub-reddit is a dumpster fire right now. Have not seen this level of vitriol in a long time. Rightfully so, I bought EoD years ago and this feels like a stab in the back.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

gee I wonder why…

Klean was streaming while installing SPT and it was a clown show. Now he's playing it and having a great time

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I wonder if BSG can be reprimanded by the UKs trading standards for not including the "new game mode" as a DLC after promising it.

I also see they said something about additional content in the future for EOD players, does that mean people who buy the insane edition lose stuff to the EOD people in the future. If so that's an absolute poo poo show too

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

quote:

Unique item "Distress signal device":

When the item is activated, it produces a bright flash as well as a loud sound signal;
Once activated, all players on your friends list will receive a notification that they can join your raid to help you.

I feel like the scav thing is overshadowing this which seems way more disgusting

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I wonder if BSG can be reprimanded by the UKs trading standards for not including the "new game mode" as a DLC after promising it.

I also see they said something about additional content in the future for EOD players, does that mean people who buy the insane edition lose stuff to the EOD people in the future. If so that's an absolute poo poo show too

Apparently BSG has now edited the EOD page to remove the "all future dlc included" line

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
30k people watching landmark poo poo on this again

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Phoix posted:

I feel like the scav thing is overshadowing this which seems way more disgusting

Both are completely nuts

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Arrath posted:

Apparently BSG has now edited the EOD page to remove the "all future dlc included" line

Why would they need to do that when it’s clearly a expansion and not a DLC? :smuggo:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Phoix posted:

The extras added onto Unheard are hilariously P2W, even by the already pretty blatant standards of EoD's stash and rep stuff.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

fknlo posted:

30k people watching landmark poo poo on this again

BSG are actively watching his stream and editing support pages on the site minutes after he looks at them lmao

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Dang I just learned about this game, maybe now's not the time to get into it huh

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
the actual game itself is mostly good and generally considered to be in the best state it has ever been in but lol you can set your watch by bsg managing to do like the stupidest poo poo on earth

Cpt_Martha
Jul 17, 2017

Count Thrashula posted:

Dang I just learned about this game, maybe now's not the time to get into it huh

Try Hunt: Showdown instead!

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Now's a great time to play, people are just getting pissy over a video game they spend hundreds of hours in, asking for more money in exchange for items and game modes that will have a negligible impact on them.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Aexo posted:

Now's a great time to play, people are just getting pissy over a video game they spend hundreds of hours in, asking for more money in exchange for items and game modes that will have a negligible impact on them.

projection. 90% likelyhood your pants were already pissed in when you typed this out. thats gross dude

Orv
May 4, 2011

Aexo posted:

Yeah, charging $250 for a completely digital video game is a perfectly reasonable idea

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Psycho Society posted:

projection. 90% likelyhood your pants were already pissed in when you typed this out. thats gross dude

A) Don't yuck my yum

2) I'm not pissy at all, I actually bought the Worse With Money Edition! I'm actually rather enjoying watching all these children going thermonuclear over the idea of something new to the game they purchased five or more years ago not being given to them for free.

Orv posted:

Yeah, charging $250 for a completely digital video game is a perfectly reasonable idea

Or you could just... not buy it?

tjones
May 13, 2005
im watching in real time people who have in the past poo poo on the pve/coop mods actively promoting them now that their favorite streamer or whatever has changed their tune and said good things about it

lol today has been a great day for popcorn

lol

tjones fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 26, 2024

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
tark citizen

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Aexo posted:

I think that's the plan for a lot of people. The issue is the new version has features in it which give people that do buy it an incredible advantage.
- Getting 6+ rep with fence can be done in hours now with car extracts so not being shot at by scavs over 60 meters will happen quickly. That is a massive thing and I don't trust BSG to not gently caress it up and not include all AI in the mix.
- Being able to call in friends whenever you want is potentially huge. Though it seems this might just be for the Co-op edition in which case lol that's useless.

The co-op thing is a massive draw to people that are sick of cheaters or just want to experience Tarkov without the PvP (which is also a reason why my group of friends are so keen for Gray Zone).

The EoD version was presented as "The Be All" edition and it is evident that is no longer true.
I get that BSG hemorrhaged money from Arena but this isn't the way to recoup costs.

If they'd have sold the co-op as a $50 addon, had the fence rep thing as a quest reward, and not had the Call In Friends device at all this would have been easier for people to swallow.
They could have even had "unique ID" as a purchasable thing and people would have paid to have a blue name or whatever.

Broken up into pieces and sold as separate addons would have made them more money, with less vitriol but they're not exactly masters of public relations.

As it stands now people are going to feel lovely about it, tell BSG to get hosed and look for alternatives. If they don't find them they'll be back next wipe.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Aexo posted:

Yeah? I’m not going to, it’s still an incredibly greedy and poo poo thing to do for literally any video game, much less one that’s already charged people way more than most games.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Is it me or does all this nonsense feel really... antagonistic, somehow? Like "gently caress YOU, YOU HAVE COMPLAINTS? WE'LL GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT."

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Aexo posted:

no poo poo man. hey, here's a thought: maybe you could just... stop fellating a company that is being hilariously greedy and lovely towards their userbase?

no idea what bootlickers like you get out of playing defense for the worst business practices in the games industry. it comes up every time a company pulls some poo poo and it's baffling every time.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
its some kind brain disease peculiar to reddit and I am surprised each time i see it here in the games forum of sa dot com

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Locking a game mode behind a $436 AUD purchase sure is a decision

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Pestily gonna have to cancel a trip to pay for it

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I get that BSG sold EOD as containing all DLC, but this new thing is not DLC. It's literally the same game with the same quests, just with a few different perks that will barely impact those folks who don't purchase it. EOD was already pay2win by the standards of "more rep and bigger secure container and no hideout grind," and yet people still played the game with lesser editions of the game. I don't see how this new edition is any different, to be honest. So I don't find this scummy.

I'm not a BSG bootlicker by any means but I do believe if BSG wants to operate an ongoing game they're gonna have to come with with ways to get money from their players. Back in the days of Overwatch 1 I would buy a massive thing of loot boxes every year because I knew they gotta keep the lights on, and I was planning on dumping hundreds if not thousands more hours into the game. I'm a $1=1hr valuation kinda gamer..if I spend $50 for a game, without any consideration to the gameplay or story or anything else, I want to spend at least 50hrs in the game. I just crossed over 1k hrs in EFT, and most of it is just rotating my crafting poo poo while I'm at work. So even if half those hours were spent actually gaming, I've gotten way more than my money's worth and I want to keep playing so I don't mind kicking them another $100 to let that happen.

Yeah, day one of a new wipe some folks will be running around with a gun that has a high pen/damage bullet or super high rate of fire, but those guns and that ammo is right there for the taking, either from those very players or from looting or NPCs. It's not like you're gonna be running around in T5 armor at the start of wipe, and if you somehow have a way to reliably come into that kind of armor then you realistically have a way to get those kinds of guns and ammo too.

Do you have to carry that item to reap the benefits of the 60m scav agro zone? Aren't there drawbacks to holding it, like losing rep if you take out a scav? There's a tradeoff here, it's not just all sunshine and rainbows once you get 6+ rep. 60m won't matter on the maps where you're indoors frequently. Sure it's nice to know when a sniper scavs is trying to pick someone off from across the map on Customs, but when and how often has that realistically given you any sort of tactical advantage? I'd wager in fewer than .01% of your raids. But that 60m range won't matter for a crabber in dorms getting pushed by scavs.

I'm 99% certain they confirmed the flare for friends to join you is a PvE only mechanic.. probably to help with boss hunting/farming.

More pocket space means more space for you to get loot from your kills. They still have to balance weight, carrying more stuff just means these whales IRL might also be whales in game. Granted two more slots isn't that much, but if that's your argument then two more slots isn't that much in the other direction of the argument too.

Yeah the PvE portion of the game is massive draw for folks tired of cheaters. I'm terrible at this game and players are so unpredictable it's sometimes too much for me to analyze and pick apart the best course of action against an actual human so that's it's draw for me. When I play with one friend 95% of the time when they die they're calling sus on the killer's profile, so it's a draw for them. This will let me play with that friend and not have to hear them complain about cheating. Now it'll be back to the old "they 180d and head-eyes'd me" complaint but at least that's something that can be tuned by BSG.

For whatever it's worth I also don't think Arena is DLC, unless there's a way in which arena ties in to the base game, like getting Arena-specific quests or another vendor or something. They placated folks by giving it to EOD owners after everyone's whinging, and it wound up being a lovely game anyway so nobody cares now, but the playerbase learned that if they complain that BSG might give in to their demands for the perks.

Orv posted:

Yeah? I’m not going to, it’s still an incredibly greedy and poo poo thing to do for literally any video game, much less one that’s already charged people way more than most games.

I'm not saying BSG is in the right with this question, but are you aware that Activision/Blizzard charged more for a keychain in Overwatch than they did for an identical keychain IRL? Companies are gonna be greedy, it's in their interests to do so. That said, I don't think what BSG is doing with this edition is greedy. They're just trying to keep their lights on, and employees paid. I enjoy the game for now so for now I think they've earned some more of my money. I don't play Overwatch anymore because of the lovely monetization there. At least in Tarkov I can actually be guaranteed to use what I'm paying for, where in OW it's not always a guarantee you'll get to play the hero you spent $30 for a skin on.

I think this is all ragebait for the content creators to earn clicks and views and in two weeks they'll be back to wiping lobbies of plebs like us and they'll be better off because you went to go see landmark install spt or Forbes is going to echo chamber whatever nonsense everyone else is complaining about and you're just gonna gobble it up, when you just just play the loving game or uninstall it, shut up, and move on. I get this is a discussion forum and I'm not trying to stop the discussion, but the outrage over a company trying to keep their game thriving is truly astonishing. A game can't continue to evolve or even exist with servers if you're not injecting money into it, sorry folks!

Yeah it's a chunk of change, but you're also getting hundreds/thousands of hours of game time. My only complaint with the PvE price tag is it would be difficult to convince a new player to go all in so you could play PvE together. But there's nothing stopping you from getting the base game and trying it out and if you're liking it enough to want to PvE then upgrading. And who knows maybe by the time that decision comes around they'll have a piecemeal option for just PvE mode.

Orv
May 4, 2011
lol

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Aexo posted:

Back in the days of Overwatch 1 I would buy a massive thing of loot boxes every year because I knew they gotta keep the lights on

lmao I'm sure you were doing it so struggling company Blizzard Entertainment didn't have to shutter, you noble paladin you

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Not the whole company, but the game, sure. They gave me value at the time so I contributed back to keep the cycle going. Sorry you don't value your online games like I do I guess?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Aexo posted:

I get that BSG sold EOD as containing all DLC, but this new thing is not DLC. It's literally the same game with the same quests, just with a few different perks that will barely impact those folks who don't purchase it. EOD was already pay2win by the standards of "more rep and bigger secure container and no hideout grind," and yet people still played the game with lesser editions of the game. I don't see how this new edition is any different, to be honest. So I don't find this scummy.

I'm not a BSG bootlicker by any means but I do believe if BSG wants to operate an ongoing game they're gonna have to come with with ways to get money from their players. Back in the days of Overwatch 1 I would buy a massive thing of loot boxes every year because I knew they gotta keep the lights on, and I was planning on dumping hundreds if not thousands more hours into the game. I'm a $1=1hr valuation kinda gamer..if I spend $50 for a game, without any consideration to the gameplay or story or anything else, I want to spend at least 50hrs in the game. I just crossed over 1k hrs in EFT, and most of it is just rotating my crafting poo poo while I'm at work. So even if half those hours were spent actually gaming, I've gotten way more than my money's worth and I want to keep playing so I don't mind kicking them another $100 to let that happen.

Yeah, day one of a new wipe some folks will be running around with a gun that has a high pen/damage bullet or super high rate of fire, but those guns and that ammo is right there for the taking, either from those very players or from looting or NPCs. It's not like you're gonna be running around in T5 armor at the start of wipe, and if you somehow have a way to reliably come into that kind of armor then you realistically have a way to get those kinds of guns and ammo too.

Do you have to carry that item to reap the benefits of the 60m scav agro zone? Aren't there drawbacks to holding it, like losing rep if you take out a scav? There's a tradeoff here, it's not just all sunshine and rainbows once you get 6+ rep. 60m won't matter on the maps where you're indoors frequently. Sure it's nice to know when a sniper scavs is trying to pick someone off from across the map on Customs, but when and how often has that realistically given you any sort of tactical advantage? I'd wager in fewer than .01% of your raids. But that 60m range won't matter for a crabber in dorms getting pushed by scavs.

I'm 99% certain they confirmed the flare for friends to join you is a PvE only mechanic.. probably to help with boss hunting/farming.

More pocket space means more space for you to get loot from your kills. They still have to balance weight, carrying more stuff just means these whales IRL might also be whales in game. Granted two more slots isn't that much, but if that's your argument then two more slots isn't that much in the other direction of the argument too.

Yeah the PvE portion of the game is massive draw for folks tired of cheaters. I'm terrible at this game and players are so unpredictable it's sometimes too much for me to analyze and pick apart the best course of action against an actual human so that's it's draw for me. When I play with one friend 95% of the time when they die they're calling sus on the killer's profile, so it's a draw for them. This will let me play with that friend and not have to hear them complain about cheating. Now it'll be back to the old "they 180d and head-eyes'd me" complaint but at least that's something that can be tuned by BSG.

For whatever it's worth I also don't think Arena is DLC, unless there's a way in which arena ties in to the base game, like getting Arena-specific quests or another vendor or something. They placated folks by giving it to EOD owners after everyone's whinging, and it wound up being a lovely game anyway so nobody cares now, but the playerbase learned that if they complain that BSG might give in to their demands for the perks.

I'm not saying BSG is in the right with this question, but are you aware that Activision/Blizzard charged more for a keychain in Overwatch than they did for an identical keychain IRL? Companies are gonna be greedy, it's in their interests to do so. That said, I don't think what BSG is doing with this edition is greedy. They're just trying to keep their lights on, and employees paid. I enjoy the game for now so for now I think they've earned some more of my money. I don't play Overwatch anymore because of the lovely monetization there. At least in Tarkov I can actually be guaranteed to use what I'm paying for, where in OW it's not always a guarantee you'll get to play the hero you spent $30 for a skin on.

I think this is all ragebait for the content creators to earn clicks and views and in two weeks they'll be back to wiping lobbies of plebs like us and they'll be better off because you went to go see landmark install spt or Forbes is going to echo chamber whatever nonsense everyone else is complaining about and you're just gonna gobble it up, when you just just play the loving game or uninstall it, shut up, and move on. I get this is a discussion forum and I'm not trying to stop the discussion, but the outrage over a company trying to keep their game thriving is truly astonishing. A game can't continue to evolve or even exist with servers if you're not injecting money into it, sorry folks!

Yeah it's a chunk of change, but you're also getting hundreds/thousands of hours of game time. My only complaint with the PvE price tag is it would be difficult to convince a new player to go all in so you could play PvE together. But there's nothing stopping you from getting the base game and trying it out and if you're liking it enough to want to PvE then upgrading. And who knows maybe by the time that decision comes around they'll have a piecemeal option for just PvE mode.

Fuckin lol

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Aexo posted:

lots of words

It's two hundred and fifty bucks for a game in beta man lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

$380 after tax in canada

anyone defending this poo poo needs to remove their tongue from nikita's fartbox