Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Wait it’s gonna start taking me even longer to get into a match if I don’t buy queue priority after 6 months? This is supposed to be a positive resolution? Lol, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

I'm sure bsg will figure out the worst way to monetize the loading screens as well.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SPT is just strictly single player right, like there's no co-op support in there that I could drop in with a friend?

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

explosivo posted:

SPT is just strictly single player right, like there's no co-op support in there that I could drop in with a friend?

Check the previous page in this thread for a link to SPT co-op, maybe 30-40 posts prior to this one.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Shuka posted:

Check the previous page in this thread for a link to SPT co-op, maybe 30-40 posts prior to this one.

Ack, sorry bout that, I'll check it out thanks!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I don't know if I've ever seen anything get ratio'd that hard on reddit. Zero upvotes and 3.8k comments. Just keep sticking your dick in the hornets nest Nikita.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Groovelord Neato posted:

Supporting a live service shooter is a solved issue at this point (sell weapon skins) and it's bizarre they've landed on this.

Yeah, the whole gritty realism thing they've claimed to want is already out the window, they might as well let people put decals and wraps on their M4s.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
I saw the thread blew up and was definitely not expecting...whatever the gently caress this is. I just really hope Questing Bots gets updated before any potential fuckery happens. :pray:

They could have offered gold weapon skins for $500 a la :pgi: and it would have gone over better. It's actually very impressive in a terrible way.

e: used the power of google to answer my own question

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Every time I check in on this it's gotten worse somehow

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Got SPT set up the other night. Does anyone have a list of mods they recommend? Or have any tips for customizing things that might be helpful. I figure people might appreciate some guides like that right now

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Takanago posted:

Got SPT set up the other night. Does anyone have a list of mods they recommend? Or have any tips for customizing things that might be helpful

Bots:
Questing Bots
Looting Bots
SWAG + Donuts
(and all the frameworks they require)
Algorithmic Level Progress

UI:
More checkmarks

Game Overall:
Server Value Modifier

Those are the ones that I would absolutely recommend as a baseline. I personally use a mod that adds a compass rose which may or may not be considered defeating the purpose of the environment, but I also don't know the maps well enough by heart yet.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

not having a compass available right from the start was always a silly choice on BSGs part anyway and if I remember right they didn't even implement them at all until a couple of years ago.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Out of all the lovely decisions over the last 3 wipes, I actually like how they implemented the compass.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Vasudus posted:

Bots:
Questing Bots
Looting Bots
SWAG + Donuts

UI:
More checkmarks

Game Overall:
Server Value Modifier

Those are the ones that I would absolutely recommend as a baseline. I personally use a mod that adds a compass rose which may or may not be considered defeating the purpose of the environment, but I also don't know the maps well enough by heart yet.

Progression/Hideout Overhaul:
Softcore

Make Keys not suck:
Gilded Key Storage

Items/misc:
Realistic Thermals
Borkel's Realistic Night Vision Goggles
WTT Pack'n'Strap
Ammo Stats
Medical Attention
Helicopter Crash Sites
Always Level Endurance

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

The PvE mode doesn't even remove the worst part of the game - that it takes ~5 minutes on average to get into a game.

It's basically instant now, guess too many people hammered the servers yesterday.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

not having a compass available right from the start was always a silly choice on BSGs part anyway and if I remember right they didn't even implement them at all until a couple of years ago.

Compass was added at the same time as heavy bleeds, so end of 2020 IIRC?

tjones posted:

Someone just posted clips of one of the tarkov streamers installing SPT live on twitch and another of Pestily recommending you buy crack or strippers with the $100 it would take for EOD owners to upgrade.

https://clips.twitch.tv/TangentialFrozenIguanaNomNom-C9rjrY9RgHTi4swL

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
despite all of the outrage, i'm still willing to bet that bsg made a poo poo ton of money yesterday.

people can't help themselves. plus the number of "content creators" who mainline this game, or are still trying to make a living playing this...

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Eastbound Spider posted:

I'm sure bsg will figure out the worst way to monetize the loading screens as well.

Jesus, they could literally have just sold ads on the loading screen and also sold a $5/month ad free subscription like they're Amazon or something.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Vasudus posted:

Bots:
Questing Bots
Looting Bots
SWAG + Donuts

I also use SAIN which is linked in some of those.

There is also Boss Notifier, you can configure it to require Intel center upgrades to tell you anything.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Having to explain to buddy that planning to buy the $250 package is in fact not justified by claiming to be a victim of the sunk cost fallacy ftmfw

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I cannot navigate Customs for the life of me, even with the compass

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I use the sun to figure out direction when learning a map.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Kikas posted:

Out of all the lovely decisions over the last 3 wipes, I actually like how they implemented the compass.

it was a good addition and putting it behind a fairly easy early mission is fine, the issue with their implementation is that the mission falls into the category of "unlocking a thing that would have been extremely useful for the player to have to accomplish the unlocking in the first place," like so many of the shotgun and sniper missions

the unlock mission requires you to navigate Woods, which due to its size and degree to which it is a bunch of similar-looking trees and rocks with limited visibility to landmarks, is pretty easily the map where a compass is most useful to a player who hasn't memorized everything, thus meaning the period of its greatest potential utility has already (at least to some extent) passed by the time you can access it

of course you can just buy it... from Jaeger, who also requires navigation of Woods to unlock

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Woods also being the map that may cheekily spawn you facing the map boundary minefield with a skull and crossbones sign dozens of meters to your side rather than in front of you.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

LGD posted:

it was a good addition and putting it behind a fairly easy early mission is fine, the issue with their implementation is that the mission falls into the category of "unlocking a thing that would have been extremely useful for the player to have to accomplish the unlocking in the first place," like so many of the shotgun and sniper missions

the unlock mission requires you to navigate Woods, which due to its size and degree to which it is a bunch of similar-looking trees and rocks with limited visibility to landmarks, is pretty easily the map where a compass is most useful to a player who hasn't memorized everything, thus meaning the period of its greatest potential utility has already (at least to some extent) passed by the time you can access it

of course you can just buy it... from Jaeger, who also requires navigation of Woods to unlock

This is literally how I learnt woods. I had a map up on my phone and was best guessing it till I got the compass, then used that till I was familiar enough to not need it anymore.

Now I need to learn Shoreline and Reserve, I've not stepped foot on them at all, ever.

Same with labs actually

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Arrath posted:

Woods also being the map that may cheekily spawn you facing the map boundary minefield with a skull and crossbones sign dozens of meters to your side rather than in front of you.

My first experience on Woods, my first map on Tarkov ever, was cloudy and at noon-ish. I had no idea where I was, and looking at the map on another screen didn't help me because I didn't know what I was even looking for.

I moved a little and immediately blew myself up with a boundary mine.

The irony is that I used to be in the army, and I used to be a combat engineer. The idea of me failing to get my bearings and wandering into a minefield is supremely funny.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

NonzeroCircle posted:

I cannot navigate Customs for the life of me, even with the compass

The problem with Customs is that for the longest time, the maps were drawn with train station to the west, UN roadblock to the east, so everyone internalized it as that.

Once they added compass though, it turned out that the maps were backwards, but everyone’s mental map is still based on the old drawings so it’s a nightmare.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Vasudus posted:

The irony is that I used to be in the army, and I used to be a combat engineer. The idea of me failing to get my bearings and wandering into a minefield is supremely funny.

This would be where I quip that hey, at least the Syrian border didn't have minefields. :v:

and hope I'm thinking of the right poster from the GIP idiots thread as I dredge up deep lore

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Raymond T. Racing posted:

The problem with Customs is that for the longest time, the maps were drawn with train station to the west, UN roadblock to the east, so everyone internalized it as that.

Once they added compass though, it turned out that the maps were backwards, but everyone’s mental map is still based on the old drawings so it’s a nightmare.

Was Customs one of the maps where the sun was backwards too? I'd read Shoreline had a similar issue where the map in game was upside down and the sun also traveled the wrong path so the only way you could tell anything was wrong was the world map.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
I've been on the fence on getting this game for years, knowing I'd only ever play SPTarkov if I did... guess I better jump on it soon before things go kaput?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Yes now is absolutely the time to buy the dying game to play the mod that's about to eat a C&D.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

explosivo posted:

Ack, sorry bout that, I'll check it out thanks!

Of course hope you enjoy, apologies for the morning curtness lol

tjones
May 13, 2005
my understanding is that the spt branch works extremely well in its current form as a complete single player experience for tarkov. from what ive heard it is exceptionally more complex and life-like than bsg's current $250.00 offering. even if it eats a desist it's only going to magnify the streisand effect and cement it further in hundreds of private repos. the mod as it stands today won't go away even if the dev team get sued into oblivion and all public development halts. all it needs is a compatible copy of tarkov's game files and you're set forever.

as far as the game dying, the mod is open source. you can easily pull a copy of the current branch and find where the mod's launcher does the installation verification. if bsg were to go under and the bsg launcher stop working preventing new installs, the mod can easily be fooled or recompiled with those official install checks stubbed out.

you are right though that the mod and its spin offs are most likely about to eat poo poo very soon now that the cat is out of the bag, and twitch streamers have decided to run it into the ground for views and impressions. the people who think its a good omen that bsg are suddenly permitting everyone to talk openly about and play the mod live on twitch are absolute buffoons.

tjones fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 27, 2024

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Yes now is absolutely the time to buy the dying game to play the mod that's about to eat a C&D.

nice! installing as we speak

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The only thing to note about SPT 3.8 (the most recent version that just came out) is that there's a very important mod, Questing Bots, that is currently not functional yet. The developer is hard at work trying to get it updated and out the door, and it should in theory be out maybe next week. This mod basically gives SPT the life that it needs - it makes bots path to quest objectives and do assorted things (to include sometimes unlocking quest doors). You can absolutely play without it, but it's something you want to keep an eye on and grab when it is fully functional with 3.8.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
If they C&D SPTarkov first thing people would do is remove the checks SPT makes to ensure you actually own a copy of the game. Which would absolutely blow the doors off people providing an all-in-one :filez: version of the game bundled with the coop server mod. Giving birth to a true free-to-play private server community much sooner than it would otherwise come to be. Only thing keeping that from happening is loose agreements within the community to avoid a BSG crackdown.

All the mods are already hosted off site and the biggest ones are all on github. It'd be a week tops before another aggregate SPT+mods host site pops up. It doesn't really matter if they C&D it or not. Only thing that'll happen is an explosion in attention and development for mods and entire private servers.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
the new nikita interview is one of the most insane things i've read from a games studio in a long time

Orv
May 4, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

the new nikita interview is one of the most insane things i've read from a games studio in a long time

Increasingly thinking that Nikita and at least the other BSG heads are actually just some assholes who stumbled into making half a good game and don't actually know what they're doing

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Orv posted:

Increasingly thinking that Nikita and at least the other BSG heads are actually just some assholes who stumbled into making half a good game and don't actually know what they're doing

Only just now?

I played with goons back in 2018 a fair bit and one of the most consistent and chill guys dropped the game because of the path he saw bsg taking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Only just now?

I played with goons back in 2018 a fair bit and one of the most consistent and chill guys dropped the game because of the path he saw bsg taking.

I mean, kind of. For a long time it was clear they were definitely amateurs and didn't have great long term plans, it's more the giant assholes thing that's been coming to light through their handling of the last couple major patches, Arena, etc.

Question being will it actually cost them.