Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The thing that's a shame is that the core mechanics of the game are extremely sound. You're on the map, there's loot to be had, PvE stuff to distract you, and players trying to kill you. Everything is risk/reward. Natural greed will do most of the work for you. You don't need to add an arena mode, you need to add more missions/maps to do with sufficient rewards to encourage it and sometimes put in new guns. The rest of the game plays itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

One of Tarkov's main draws has been it's mostly solid gunplay and satisfying risk/reward looting system.

Ironically it's one big fault is also a huge draw. Tarkov has ALWAYS actively not given a poo poo about the players enjoyment or sense of balanced play. Personally, in a way I enjoy that part of the game. It's tough and WILL be a pain in the dick but that's the intended experience. BSG going so greedy/etc on this latest incident served to really highlight for a section of players that BSG does NOT have their entertainment in mind to the extent they are willing to hinder other players as long as someone else keeps giving them more money.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Jakosa posted:

If you know of a better game in the genre, I'd love to hear about it.

Yeah, most people do if they don't have their head up BSG's rear end. Some companies actually release a full game before 8 years too!

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Hunt Showdown is still pretty great, and merciless.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The Gray Zone steam page claims a 2024 release, how incredibly early early days in development can it be?

OnePeg has a video about it - the game is currently 20% complete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TLx9OvF5Yg

I don't think it'll be a "Tarkov Killer" but I also don't think the devs are really aiming for that.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Fir some reason the jungle aesthetician of GZW doesn't really grab me. Are they planning more urban areas?

I'm keeping half an eye on Beautiful Light, which is the same concept but more STALKER adjacent with (I think) player controlled mutant enemies and anomalies, in addition to the regular PVP.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God
By far the funniest thing about this whole saga is the way that Nikita/BSG views EOD buyers with utter contempt lol. He should be counting his lucky loving stars that he managed to make a game good enough that an overwhelming majority of the playerbase is willing to pay 3x the normal price for a game in early access but instead he can't help but view them as contemptible little piggies. Honestly, what a prick lmao

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Landmark still making GBS threads on Nikita/BSG today. The only big tarkov streamer I've seen playing has been Klean playing SPT :lmao:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

ChesterJT posted:

Yeah, most people do if they don't have their head up BSG's rear end. Some companies actually release a full game before 8 years too!

can you name them so we can play them

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Quicksilver6 posted:

Hunt Showdown is still pretty great, and merciless.

no centered aim = unplayable

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

From what (admitedly little) I've seen of Grey Zone, it seems more focused on the shooter aspects than the "scrounging through bins, filing cabinets, and boxes looking for random junk to build your hideout" part which is what I really love about Tarkov.

Oh well, at least I've got Stalker GAMMA for that.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

speaking of building your hideout you'd think construction measuring tape wouldnt be so loving hard to find. my kingdom for a wooden door

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Uhh onepeg????

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...506f9b06bae3c5&

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

causticBeet posted:

With all of BSGs flaws, delivering new features is not one of them. Tarkov has been out for long rear end time now and BSG has very consistent added new systems and content. Delivering on feature is probably their strength - new maps, map reworks, total overhauls of core gameplay mechanics, etc. How positive the reaction to the current wipe was is a testament to this. Grey Zone looks really cool but if people are expecting it to come out and be relatively feature rich and polished compared to Tarkov it will be DOA.

Re: BSG caving, I kind of wonder how much of the timeline here was impacted by the dude (who has apparently done this sort of thing in the past and prompted a response from BSG) who said he was going to leak an exploit that lets you join pve lobbies as your standard PMC. A bit disappointed we didn’t get that because “players en masse have started joining pve lobbies, ganking the host, then taking all the valuable items back to the base game” would have been Ilan excellent development in this saga of lol, lmao.

i guarantee you that had zero impact compared to the fact that sales of unheard had gone to zero and they'd only sold a miniscule amount of copies and bsg wants money

Orv posted:

I really dunno how much credit BSG deserves for making six maps in eight years, a bunch of guns that mostly feel like the same ten or so platforms and basically only making the gameplay - scavs, quest, jams, the various RMT combatting changes - worse over time. Tarkov works cause the two big things continue to feel incredible; shoot gun, find thing.

perception among people playing is that the game is in by far the best state it has ever been in and i have to say that when you hear about how tarkov was years ago it sounds like one of the most comically badly designed games ever made

somewhere along the way bsg clearly hired some very competent people. bsg management/nikita clearly are all sharing a single braincell tho

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 29, 2024

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

How else do you thing he got the name?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
how else do you think this thread got that name

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

perception among people playing is that the game is in by far the best state it has ever been in and i have to say that when you hear about how tarkov was years ago it sounds like one of the most comically badly designed games ever made

somewhere along the way bsg clearly hired some very competent people. bsg management/nikita clearly are all sharing a single braincell tho

I don't understand how the game ever got a fanbase with how recoil used to work.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
old recoil wasn't actually that bad as long as you used one of the handful of meta guns and had high pmc skills so you effectively had current recoil anyways, but it meant that there were only like 3 or 4 guns in the meta. also hipfire ahem pointfire was really good, which made everything feel a lot better

still i felt the same way, like the gun play was actually the main thing holding the game back because they somehow had come upon the worst possible implementation of recoil

Orv
May 4, 2011
The thing is there’s been four different major recoil setups across the games life and three of them were completely insane. The first one at least was just “gun go up fast” which is something recognizable, if borderline uncontrollable for most of the guns.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't understand how the game ever got a fanbase with how recoil used to work.

I used shotguns, I dunno what everybody else's problem was though. Weirdos if you ask me.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
How did recoil used to work that was so bad?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Gray Zone Warfare just announced the release date of early access.

Tomorrow.

Even if the game is rough around the edges from what I'm hearing, it's probably the best play considering BSG shooting themselves in the dick literally days ago.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Yeah, I'm gonna be buying that without a doubt and giving it a go. Even If I stick with SPT for a bit and if Gray Zone is underbaked, I want to get in early and support them just for being a better company than BSG

Orv
May 4, 2011
Seems a bit early to make that call

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Does anyone know if there are any actual differences between the gray zone factions? Is it just lore, or are there uniform or equipment differences? Do any of them use non-nato equipment?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Retro42 posted:

Tomorrow.

Even if the game is rough around the edges from what I'm hearing, it's probably the best play considering BSG shooting themselves in the dick literally days ago.

It is the right short term call. I imagine all the big tark streamers who are gonna need content will be playing it for a few weeks

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

And so the cycle begins anew

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Orv posted:

Seems a bit early to make that call

To be fair, its a REALLY low bar.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not wrong

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

the last signal... posted:

Your character had muscle wasting disease and neuropathy and shooting guns was very painful for them, your aim would move accordingly

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Retro42 posted:

Tomorrow.

lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

And so the cycle begins anew

if they launch it now i expect it to go similarly to the last cycle

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Takanago posted:

Does anyone know if there are any actual differences between the gray zone factions? Is it just lore, or are there uniform or equipment differences? Do any of them use non-nato equipment?

I think the end goal is to be that way, but right now it's just three identical teams with no differences in quests/uniforms/weapons and the starting town for each is the same one pasted three times on the main map.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

the last signal... posted:

Very high recoil plus the gun scared your army man so the first 2-5 bullets went all over the place until he finally got a hold of himself. Burst firing was actually less accurate than mag dumping.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah and you couldn't tap fire because the first shot recoil was so bad so basically the meta was to just mag dump until dead

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The recoil change is one of the things I'm looking forward to when I do my 3.8 SPT run. For 3.7.6 I used a mod that *supposedly* did the same thing but I don't know for sure.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I remember when I first started playing the recoil was pretty good state, I think this was the patch where Shoreline got a big makeover before Interchange was in the game. But a lot of streamers and milsim guys got angry about how you could spray accurately and BSG responded by making fully automatic fire basically worthless unless you could mod the gun down to 30 or so recoil.

Edit: Questing Bots updated for SPT but the website is dead

Durendal fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 29, 2024

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

more like gay zone

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

While GZW launching early early access in response to BSG stomping on their own dicks seems like an advantageous move, from the videos of the streamer alpha recently it just looks like the game isn't far enough along for a wide release. I'm afraid it'll get a bad reputation and that'll sour opinions that will l be hard to turn around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Myself and a few other friends who quit Tarkov out of frustration a while ago have set up an SIT server together and have been having a great time playing it, although I kind of wish there was a way to scatter our spawns around the map to make it just 'normal Tarkov but with friends'

It is extremely funny to me that you can just do this, you can spend a big pile of money to maybe get official developer-supported PvE co-op at some point in the future or you can roll your own right now for free

it is also endlessly frustrating to me that the gunplay in this stupid awful game is so loving good