Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I was really worried about the FIR changes and they have had an adverse effect on my ability to run certain (non-optimal and probably stupid) gun configs from the get-go, but man it helped me get over my gear fear. Oh this Killa armor I pulled off some chad who happened to lay down in the wrong spot? You bet your rear end I'm gonna loving use it now since I can't sell the drat thing.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Tips for new folks, from a guy who has only been playing since mid-August:

1) Think you heard something? You did. Don't ever assume it was nothing. It wasn't.
2) Not worried about that noise because it's just a scav? It's not.
3) He's always got a buddy, no matter who "he" is.
4) Even if he doesn't have a buddy, somebody else heard your gunshots and they are coming.

With these 4 simple rules committed to memory you will avoid a large percentage of the kinds of deaths I repeatedly experienced when I was new.

It pays to be paranoid in this game. Those sounds aren't yours. There's always one more. Learn to loot quickly. Learn the shortcuts for moving gear around during a raid so when you stop to loot something you don't take too long. Dying while looting happens to everyone (camping bodies is a completely valid strategy and works a surprising amount) just don't be the goober who kills someone and tunnel visions on their corpse then spend 10 minutes rearranging your inventory. Insurance fraud your poo poo so you can take the bad guy's stuff.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

deadseedinside posted:

lol

tbh these sound like maybe "you" problems and not universal issues. We've done sherpa for many a goon for many a year now and you make it sound harder than it is.

lol

quote:

There is absolutely a vertical learning curve for tarkov and the people that tend to enjoy and stick with the game are the ones that got into it for that exact reason.

Extract camping is VERY largely exaggerated and is literally like a 1-2% of your raids occurrence and even those you don't know if they were just arriving there at the same time or heard you so stopped to ambush. Either way.

at no point mentioned extract camping, i was talking about getting killed inside the mall trying to get out of the tech areas. this is especially true for a new solo player who is not going to be the quickest looter or familiar with the map. ive died to a single extract camper ever so im def not talking about that lol

quote:

Getting good at the game requires playing the game and just skulking around the edges of the map is a way to get bored and stop playing because it's boring. The best way to learn the game aspects are to throw yourself into the meat grinder and get over gear fear right off the hop. Literally none of it matters and it's almost impossible to actually go broke in tarkov even if you're are terrible at the game (which everyone is). Running stashes IS just loot running and will not actually help you progress through the lovely early stages of PMC evolution. Getting your hands dirty and not worrying about dying will elevate you 100 times faster and get you farther than ratting around the peripherals by yourself endlessly. Fwiw, i prefer to do most of my questing and whatnot solo simply because i find it easier to actually get poo poo done and not get your poo poo pushed in by 5mans. Solo you are always in control of when to go, when to wait, when to shoot and when to run. Solo play and Squad play are very different beasts in tarkov but either way or a combination can make you better, faster, stronger and richer quicker.

hitting up stashes as you go through customs getting tasks done isnt the same as chain rushing tech in interchange. one is purely loot running, the other is a way to bolster your income while focusing on learning maps and getting tasks done, which will progress you through the early game.

i agree the best way to learn the game is to throw yourself into it, but there is still a limitation to what you should be doing. someone throwing themselves into dorms mindlessly is probably going to have a worse time learning the game than someone playing a bit more carefully. you still need to go into the map to get tasks done and should be doing that, but keeping to the quieter areas when youre literally learning the layout of the map, how scavs work, how the audio works etc is going to soften the learning curve and let new players control how hectic they want things to get because it puts them in a position to hear fighting happening and then choose whether to go into it or not.

as for playing quietly being boring, it really depends on the person! some people will find it boring, but theyre also much more likely to then seek out other people to play with. i find both skulking around quietly and sprinting around like an idiot fun in different ways.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

although i think you should use scav runs to do pure loot runs thats where its at. if youre new and learning the game always use your scav run off cooldown, use them to learn new maps and to get your bank up.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
I hope to have more than 12% survival rate this wipe :D

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Hooray still terrible but at least I'm getting one shot by trash guns now!

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

huh, it looks like they updated the starting gear (which is in the patch notes) - I have Bad With Money edition and while it was undoubtedly prudent to give people some Esmarchs off the bat, the stash also has fuel so you can start pumping out salewas straight away

curious what the other levels get

also doesn't look like you can use the holiday 2020 gift, but I'd assume there will be something forthcoming in the next few days

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 24, 2020

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

Possibly a confused chimpanzee. Approach with caution and snacks.

LGD posted:

also doesn't look like you can use the holiday 2020 gift, but I'd assume there will be something forthcoming in the next few days

yeah it's always been a new year's gift so speculating we didn't get it with the new one a week away. Can't have us getting double gear now....

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So apparently the cultists might be in..?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So apparently the cultists might be in..?

People claim this after every major patch, until I see some video I don't believe it.

Meanwhile, my crew is having a hell of a time just getting grouped up before matches, anyone else having this problem?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

There is a few videos of people getting ambushed by super aggressive scavs with silenced weapons but preferring to use knives at night starting to pop up. Most of them are visual trash because its night, but at least a couple managed to see the stupid looking cultist knife on bodies.

Could be fakes, especially since I've yet to see one where the PMC(s) survive, but I dunno :shrug: Go around at night on Woods and the like and find out!

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The minefield they added to Woods might be the biggest dick move of 2020.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I just died in Woods like three minutes ago and I'm staring at a black screen but I can hear the guy I shot doing surgery and healing himself :allears:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

house of the dad posted:

The minefield they added to Woods might be the biggest dick move of 2020.

I used to hate Woods but now that they've doubled it in size and added poorly marked minefield boundaries on two sides I still hate it.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Does Tarkov usually go on sale for Christmas? I have a couple friends I want to pick up copies for but I've been waiting for a price drop it it's coming.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

i vomit kittens posted:

Does Tarkov usually go on sale for Christmas? I have a couple friends I want to pick up copies for but I've been waiting for a price drop it it's coming.

https://twitter.com/bstategames/status/1342501616541442048

Edit: Looks like the discord link in the OP and 4th post have expired, here's the one from the previous thread that appears to work: https://discord.gg/G4GHD35

Fancy_Lad fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 26, 2020

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Considering jumping back in after sitting out the last wipe. Some of the new guns, map areas and scav changes look pretty neat

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
How's the hacking? Still problematic? I heard the release date went really, really well, with like no issues.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

You'll run into a blatant cheater once in a blue moon on labs, haven't seen anything even the least bit suspicious anywhere else.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Anyone that kills me is a hacker so yeah there's still a massive hacking problem, i'd say 99% of games.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Simon Numbers posted:

Anyone that kills me is a hacker so yeah there's still a massive hacking problem, i'd say 99% of games.

Didn't know Landmark or whatever the gently caress his name is posted here.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Is that the streamer that gets away with not having a personality because he's a attractive?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Simon Numbers posted:

Is that the streamer that gets away with not having a personality because he's a attractive?

Well that narrows it down.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
They are giving away decent New Years day rewards for anyone that has a pre-order or buys it through the 5th. They are actually fairly decent, but nothing insane. Getting a docs case and an ammo box are pretty helpful but not insane.

Edit: Actually that is a lot of BP ammo...

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

My first reaction was that giving everybody 900 rounds of top tier 7.62 ammo in the first week of a wipe really goes against the spirit of the thing, but on the other hand most of that is going to be shot or lost to death within a few days so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

I'm much more concerned with where I'm going to put all of this poo poo.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

ShowTime posted:

They are giving away decent New Years day rewards for anyone that has a pre-order or buys it through the 5th. They are actually fairly decent, but nothing insane. Getting a docs case and an ammo box are pretty helpful but not insane.

Edit: Actually that is a lot of BP ammo...

Where do you get this? I've had the game for a while so maybe I'm misreading something, but on the profile page (on the website) and logged into the game I don't see any claim button anywhere.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Has Nikita ever confirmed if wipes are just part of the beta process or will be a feature of the game?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Pathos posted:

Where do you get this? I've had the game for a while so maybe I'm misreading something, but on the profile page (on the website) and logged into the game I don't see any claim button anywhere.

If I had to guess its gonna be released on the 27th when the sale starts. Part of a bigger promotion. I also couldn't get it yet.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

hello internet posted:

Has Nikita ever confirmed if wipes are just part of the beta process or will be a feature of the game?

I believe they brought up an idea (although I might be misremembering and it was just a suggestion) that on release you would have one permanent character that went through the story and stuff while there were seasonal characters that would be wiped every few months.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Pathos posted:

On your profile page, below the edition you purchased at the bottom of the page is where it shows up. Some goons posted pics of their gift so it went live just now. You get all the items listed.

Also updated the discord invite link in the OP, it had expired.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

TheTofuShop posted:

On your profile page, below the edition you purchased at the bottom of the page is where it shows up. Some goons posted pics of their gift so it went live just now. You get all the items listed.

Also updated the discord invite link in the OP, it had expired.

You know what, it probably went live at 4PM EST, which is 12:00AM on Dec 27th in Russia. We run on their time. Mine is live too.

Edit: And that also means the discount is live if you needed to buy the game or upgrade. 25% off through Jan 5th (I believe)

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 26, 2020

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

TheTofuShop posted:

Ah, just got it. Must have checked too early. Thanks!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Bump. This game is phenomenal. Best thing for FPS games since Half-Life and Counter-Strike.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Gabriel S. posted:

Bump. This game is phenomenal. Best thing for FPS games since Half-Life and Counter-Strike.

I’m surprised we haven’t seen copycat games take off yet in the same way we did for battle royales.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

ShowTime posted:

How's the hacking? Still problematic? I heard the release date went really, really well, with like no issues.

It's not as bad as it used to be, but it still happens. Squad got wiped by some amazing shots the other day from a guy with a TTV link in his name; we checked the stream and he was using it to advertise hacks. Not even on labs or reserve or anything super sweaty, just a random woods raid.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Neon Belly posted:

I’m surprised we haven’t seen copycat games take off yet in the same way we did for battle royales.

Honestly this has been my thought, too. Maybe it’s just not quite big enough to attract attention like PUBG did? I dunno.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The game isn't good enough to have a copycat wave. Simple.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I want this game to have a Counter-Strike style bomb defuse game mode. I get to keep the enemy teams loot!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pathos posted:

Honestly this has been my thought, too. Maybe it’s just not quite big enough to attract attention like PUBG did? I dunno.

I mean, there are other games out there with this kind of low-TTK gunplay/bullet physics stuff but without the loot aspect or character progression, but that requires persistence and the whole economy backend which means a lot more work than went into one-off BR rounds.

But also yeah it's also just not nearly as popular as something like PUBG. PUBG came out in March 2017 and hit it's peak of 3.5 million concurrent players in January 2018. Even though it's old news it still had over 400k concurrent players in November of this year. Tarkov "came out" in June 2017 and only just broke 200k concurrent players for the first time this past May.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

tarkov is like, niche popular, also i feel like a lot of people only watch the game and dont play it