Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
scav run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Famethrowa posted:

stick it in your alpha you goof. even to traders it's good money for a one slot.

He was a scav but it was still dumb

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I decided to pick this game up again after quitting before level 10 when I first started playing last wipe.

After a rough start of endless stupid deaths I have a feeling I'm slowly making progress again. I'm almost level 8 so about the same level I was when I played last time but this time I took more precautions to not end up with only poo poo ammunition with nothing good to buy from the dealers.

I quite enjoy the new woods map! I never played it much last time but now I really like it as it feels less crowded. It brings back a bit of the old DayZ vibe, there is just something to running around in the woods and using power lines for orientation.
Oh and thank god for the new compass, I was running around in circles so much when I tried doing the quest to get it. Now I can actually check if I'm still running in the correct direction.

One thing really annoys me though: I suck so hard at shooting in this game it's not even funny. I had so many encounters with other players where I got the drop on them as I am a very cautious player and they still ended up killing me even though their gear wasn't that much better than mine. But the worst part is, I even suck at fighting scavs. They gently caress me up good with their shotguns and I just can't manage to hit them consistently without eating lots of bullets.
I've played quite a lot of shooter games, also a lot of "realistic" shooter games like Squad or DayZ. I'm not super good in these games but also I'm far from bad.
But there is something to shooting in Tarkov which just makes me miss almost all of my shots and it's frustrating.

I hope I will get better over time, maybe it needs just some getting used to. Maybe I should join the discord and play with other Goons to have a better time...

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Malefitz posted:

I decided to pick this game up again after quitting before level 10 when I first started playing last wipe.

After a rough start of endless stupid deaths I have a feeling I'm slowly making progress again. I'm almost level 8 so about the same level I was when I played last time but this time I took more precautions to not end up with only poo poo ammunition with nothing good to buy from the dealers.

I quite enjoy the new woods map! I never played it much last time but now I really like it as it feels less crowded. It brings back a bit of the old DayZ vibe, there is just something to running around in the woods and using power lines for orientation.
Oh and thank god for the new compass, I was running around in circles so much when I tried doing the quest to get it. Now I can actually check if I'm still running in the correct direction.

One thing really annoys me though: I suck so hard at shooting in this game it's not even funny. I had so many encounters with other players where I got the drop on them as I am a very cautious player and they still ended up killing me even though their gear wasn't that much better than mine. But the worst part is, I even suck at fighting scavs. They gently caress me up good with their shotguns and I just can't manage to hit them consistently without eating lots of bullets.
I've played quite a lot of shooter games, also a lot of "realistic" shooter games like Squad or DayZ. I'm not super good in these games but also I'm far from bad.
But there is something to shooting in Tarkov which just makes me miss almost all of my shots and it's frustrating.

I hope I will get better over time, maybe it needs just some getting used to. Maybe I should join the discord and play with other Goons to have a better time...

So there's a few things that make it different. In Tarkov, your PMC basically adjusts for recoil rather than your gun shooting up like in every other "realistic" game you can think of.

It goes something like: bang, drift up, bang, drift, adjusting for rest of burst. If all you're doing is bang bang, wait, bang bang, you'll end up just bouncing around because your PMC isn't able to adjust for recoil before you end your burst. Either single shot or magdump, not in between.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Malefitz posted:

yeah, there is a lot there

shooting *is* different in this game than other games because of how it handles recoil - the game models you getting things under increasing control as you engage in automatic fire, so recoil starts out harsh (modified by your skills and relative to the recoil of the gun you're using anyway, some guns are always lasers) and then gets less bad (and re-centers to your original point of aim)

this means that unlike most other shooters short bursts are pretty much the worst way to use a gun (either single tap or magdump), and you can easily get yourself into trouble if you're trying to compensate for recoil without knowing how it works (i.e. you pull your aim down as you auto-fire but then your aim is being automatically adjusted throughout the burst so you end up overcorrecting and shooting low)

as you doubtless know, a lot of this stuff is also knowledge based and just necessarily comes with time played - map layouts + common PMC movement patterns, scav AI, loot distribution/value/efficient sorting, etc.

you'll eventually improve and be killing basic scavs like it's no big thing - this is actually an area where offline mode can potentially be a big help since doing a few quick runs of Factory gives you an easy way to familiarize yourself with their behavior

I'll also say the game opens up a *lot* once you do reach level 10 since you get access to the flea market and can both start selling your stuff for what it is worth as well as actually ensure you always have workable ammo for some guns (i.e. you can't affordably run an M4 with good ammo based on what is on the flea market and shouldn't start regularly using 5.56 guns beyond ultra-budget and frankly iffy ADARs before you've unlocked m855a1 at the vendor, but 5.45 BT is so common on reserve and in scav guard weapons its always affordable on the flea market and some other ammunitions are produced in enough quantity via hideout recipes that they tend to remain near vendor price - 7.62x39 BP being a go-to example, though there dirt-cheap PS is actually viable and the main advantage of the flea market is the ability to get you reasonably affordable AKs/VPOs and large AK/SKS magazines before their vendor unlocks)

the game opens up a *lot* again at level 15 when you can get several important vendors to level 2 (and then that grows further in a satisfying way as you move into the 20's/actually have the resources to get PK's vendor level up/etc)

imo the scrappy low levels are extremely fun solo when you know the game but they're loving brutal if you're genuinely new

e: also remember that pretty much nobody is truly "good" at Tarkov, even the best players die a lot

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 29, 2020

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Don't feel too bad about getting lit up by scavs. I think getting out of the "they're just bots, how dangerous can they be" mentality is one of the early hurdles a Tarkov player has to clear. They are extremely dangerous.

Try to break line of sight and reposition a little, they have serious tunnel vision. And stay as quiet as you can.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

16-1 status so far on pmc runs. Life is rough. I hate to see the moment free after raid heals stop. Rip..

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Malefitz posted:

Maybe I should join the discord and play with other Goons to have a better time...

This. Do this. I cannot stress enough how drastically a second set of eyes and ears improved my survival rate and enjoyment of this game. I probably would have given up by level ten without other folks holding my hand through the obtuse learning curve that this game provides.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

That's some really good advise you guys have provided, thanks a lot!
I've heard of the recoil compensation via skill thing before but I find it really hard to incorporate into my playing.
Like, do you just not compensate at all and wait until the character brings the gun under control himself? Or do you compensate, but just...less?

Also I have difficulties hitting enemies with single shots. The gun swings all over the place while I hit left and right from the target and they hammer me with hits so I panic.
I also always find myself strafing left and right in confrontations because I'm so used to it from playing CS (which I only play because of some RL friends). Is it better to just stay rooted in place and hope you hit the enemy better/more than they do you?

Duderclese posted:

This. Do this. I cannot stress enough how drastically a second set of eyes and ears improved my survival rate and enjoyment of this game. I probably would have given up by level ten without other folks holding my hand through the obtuse learning curve that this game provides.
I will be out for a few days but will do this when I come back. I really want to like this game. I do like it but I enjoy watching videos more than actually playing it a lot of the time....

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
until you have a good handle over how guns control in tarkov in general and the gun you are specifically using controls yes youre often better off stopping to fire and then moving rather than trying to cs jiggle around.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I’ve always ditched labs cards on scavs if I wasnt 100% sure I’d get them out

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 30, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
why

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
cause gently caress other people

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I think what LGD said is pretty spot on. I basically operate in one of two modes of shooting: single snap shots and full/half mag dump. The way that they oddly punish bursts in this game just makes those two the best. Also, semiauto taps with good ammo can be a lot more effective than dumps with medium or even good ammo. Getting shots on-target is super important.

Another important thing that it sounds like you're aware of, Malefitz, is knowing when to be loud. In solo runs, which I almost exclusively do at night, especially this early in the wipe, I move extremely slowly. I almost never sprint (unless I'm getting shot at). If you even think you might have heard someone by you, crouch, get into cover or concealment, and move slow for a bit--or not at all. Hearing enemies first is a HUGE part of winning fights in this game up-close. I've been able to one-up people simply by surprising them on several occasions, even if they had much better gear than me. Obviously this doesn't always apply in some close-quarters clusterfucks like Factory and the Resort, where a gearlord will probably be able to pinpoint your coordinates using echolocation, but surprise is always helpful.

When I play duos or triples, we also try to never sprint. Playing in a group can make you a bit more reckless than you should be. Keep your leg stamina for when you need it and keep your ears open.

I think that the most important things to be a bit more successful in this game are:

1. Map knowledge
2. Hearing and knowing when to run and when to not
3. Gear and shooting

All get better with time.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Malefitz posted:

That's some really good advise you guys have provided, thanks a lot!
I've heard of the recoil compensation via skill thing before but I find it really hard to incorporate into my playing.
Like, do you just not compensate at all and wait until the character brings the gun under control himself? Or do you compensate, but just...less?

"yes" - the optimal approach is specific to a particular gun and its particular attachments at your character's particular skill levels

I know that's not particularly helpful but its true

this is one of the reasons (beyond the obvious) that the "meta" gun builds select for minimal recoil

its also a reason its often useful to familiarize yourself with particular weapon setups you'll be using, so you'll have sense of how they'll respond and when automatic fire is/is not appropriate

that sense will eventually extend and broaden as you get a feel for things based on weapon type and numeric recoil value and can start mentally lumping things into broad categories of controllability in automatic fire (which personally scales from "point-blank magdumps only" to "laser")

quote:

Also I have difficulties hitting enemies with single shots. The gun swings all over the place while I hit left and right from the target and they hammer me with hits so I panic.
I also always find myself strafing left and right in confrontations because I'm so used to it from playing CS (which I only play because of some RL friends). Is it better to just stay rooted in place and hope you hit the enemy better/more than they do you?

I will be out for a few days but will do this when I come back. I really want to like this game. I do like it but I enjoy watching videos more than actually playing it a lot of the time....

while the importance of movement in general should not be understated, stux is 100% correct about taking the moment to line up your shots being vastly better than trying to juke people with jiggles, especially when you consider how the damage model rewards shot placement and the fact that the "ideal" (if not the most fun) Tarkov combat encounter consists of you ambushing someone entirely unaware of your existence and giving them the 'ol head-eyes/ears

honestly the best way to use simultaneous movement and fire is probably with Tarkov's extremely accurate point fire (hipfire) in relatively close quarters, which can be devastatingly effective (or get you instantly obliterated if you misjudge your aggression)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
alternatively sprint around constantly and reposition on people

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Stux posted:

alternatively sprint around constantly and reposition on people

that does require you to be aware of their existence/general location (and the map layout), and I think the importance of getting an initial leg up in that respect (especially as a solo player) was what part of DrPop was getting at - ultimately both approaches rely on knowledge of what sort of sounds you're making and using the tools you have available to gain informational/positional advantage and hit people from unexpected directions

and while sprinting is extremely useful I think doing it at the wrong time is pretty unambiguously one of the most common ways new players inadvertently get themselves killed

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
yeah that was more for drpop, once youve got your bearings in the game you need to start not being afraid to sprint

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Sultan Tarquin posted:

cause gently caress other people

have u ever seen the screen names of people in tarkov? gently caress em

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Stux posted:

yeah that was more for drpop, once youve got your bearings in the game you need to start not being afraid to sprint

O yeah when the fight starts I'm all over the place and in places where I know I need to sprint, I'm just saying try to avoid doing it all the time when out of combat. Also it can help to approach high traffic areas a bit more quietly

DrPop fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 30, 2020

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
My personal favorite thing so far is accidentally walking off the map and suddenly dying.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
yeah but even out of fights its good to sprint, in fact especially if youre trying to be sneaky to do a quest or something. if you want to not get caught doing it just book it there so no one else has arrived yet.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Ugggh why is this all over twitch. It reminds me I bought the bad with money edition years ago....gently caress it gonna install

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Raged posted:

Ugggh why is this all over twitch. It reminds me I bought the bad with money edition years ago....gently caress it gonna install

There's a week long 24/7 drops event, which are mostly poo poo. I got some matches.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
My single best timed voice line ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoZrHAgcJ2c

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

There's a week long 24/7 drops event, which are mostly poo poo. I got some matches.

i got some matches. also a labs card, an aesa, a fast mt, a mule and a goldstar. and three wires.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
yeah if you find sway is making you miss left and right try to switch to w or d while you shoot, or stop briefly. If you go in the hideout and go in the range and ads, strafe and fire and see how much your sights move, it is a LOT.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Skipped out most of last wipe after going super hard the wipe before. I continue to be impressed by the strong direction they manage to take this game in. Lots of changes that sound incredibly anti QOL but end up being a non issue, lots of really cool new additions.

Drops so far have been pretty solid - even if it’s a lot of trash, there is bound to be some useful stuff with it being so early into the wipe. High point for me so far is 100x AP slugs, which as a sub level 10 player are a god send. Really hoping for some sort of container drops, as early game inventory management is an absolute mess without being able to offload poo poo to the flea market and with the lack of poverty icases from holiday gifts.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Not even a week into wipe and people are already at pre-wipe gear levels. Sure, just throw a dude with an altyn and a VAL into factory.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Not even a week into wipe and people are already at pre-wipe gear levels. Sure, just throw a dude with an altyn and a VAL into factory.

happens. the level of sweat lords for this game is something beyond what any national army can dream of for a fighting force.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Between raider farming and people who just have the time to play this game 8+ hours a day, it’s not surprising. If you know what you’re doing you can run reserve a few times and come out with a bunch of thicc boi kits pretty easily.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Yup and if you throw in the pandemic and that the wiped happened around holidays, it’s easier for people to immerse themselves in the game.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
really makes me wish that there was some sort of cap for matches that involve the casuals vs the full timers. pretty sure the full timers would get tired of fighting themselves if this was a thing. there are some extremely flawed things about this game. that being one of them

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
That would involve making a decision that increases the fun for most players. Not the direction they're looking to go.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

ChesterJT posted:

That would involve making a decision that increases the fun for most players. Not the direction they're looking to go.

oh i know. nikita and crew are the "FUN POLICE" gently caress the police!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
i hope if they ever do that its entirely optional so i can still go into the raids where all the gear lords are and take their stuff

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Munkeylord posted:

really makes me wish that there was some sort of cap for matches that involve the casuals vs the full timers. pretty sure the full timers would get tired of fighting themselves if this was a thing. there are some extremely flawed things about this game. that being one of them

The moment the game starts matching based on skill, time played, gear level, or absolutely anything, you can stick a fork in it. The random anything-can-happen style of raids is what makes Tarkov stand out from everything else.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
it's not like you can't kill a gear lord with a Mosin or Hunter easily, if they took these players out of the raids then no players would be worth looting

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have learned about 4 things in woods:
- invisible mines
- invisible booby trapped bodies
- invisible turrets shooting at you if you go too near a red crosshair sign
- invisible turrets which shoot you if you try to cross a bridge in wrong place

I have to say that I liked the regular rear end walls a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I have just learned that the bunkers on Woods are basically sensory deprivation chambers. You can barely hear anything happening outside or around them when you are inside. Was doing a duo just now and thankfully my buddy was keeping watch outside and heard someone come in while I was looting and was able to gank him as he walked full-speed into the entrance. Good to know!