Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hakimashou posted:

hell yeah a new tarkov thread made by an actual tarkov goon instead of that person from the other one

im a goon and i play a lot of tarkov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

one thing to note with rushing tech in interchange as a new player: everyone else does too and most of them know the map and how to kill you. its worthwhile learning some stash runs (interchange, customs and especially shoreline are all really good for this) for a more relaxed pace, and with the multiple buffs to safe loot tables safe runs as well once youre a bit more comfortable with the game. now that hatchet running doesnt exist and FIR is a thing running interchange as a new player is going to be pretty brutal because that map is lethal.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

deadseedinside posted:

running interchange is probably least lethal map to get rich on

interchange is a very vertical map and on eu at least is squad central, and the tech stores in particular see a lot of foot traffic. its def a lot quieter to run around outside or around the outskirts on customs or even shoreline and its probably a better choice for new players to get their bearings on while building up a bank. if you're going in with other people then sure, but a new player running solo, thats a really deadly map.

hakimashou posted:

And more to the point, if you're just grinding it to fill up your butt coin machine like you should do, success is solely measured by getting to the graphics card before the other guy does, and if you die it doesn't matter at all.

theres a pretty big gap between starting the game fresh and getting to the bitcoin machine though, including a lot of hideout upgrades that can cost a decent amount of money. with the FIR changes stashes and safes are a lot more reliable for actual spendable resources early on, especially for newer players, and you can often do them while doing the earliest quests. you dont want to be running interchange at level 1 when your tasks are customs focused, but you still need to make money.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

deadseedinside posted:

exactly. squads don't move anywhere near as fast as 1 man with a pistol. You will always beat them to the goods. Interchange is one of the best places for a solo to wipe a 5man too.

and then they pop you on the way out and we live in FIR times. we're talking new players theyre not going to wipe anything.

quote:

not sure what the vertical part affects when you're just sprinting for the gold. Looting stashes is profitable but a slower (and significantly more boring way to make bank). Shoreline is easily best money map, but that really only shines once you get some keys on you. Even just for straight loot running, the interchange garage is a non-stop 10min runthrough that will consistently net you 500k per raid and often more.

its an extra thing to be aware of at a time when a new player is learning the basics of how the game works. removing that until youre more comfortable with simply moving around and looting and dealing with scavs helps with the huge learning curve. looting stashes is very safe and can be done in conjunction with the early game tasks, it keeps you on the map for longer so you can get more acclimatised to it and learn the flow of the game, and it keeps your combat situations more manageable. youll meet people far less often and it'll usually just be another solo player, who probably isnt extremely good at the game because theyre also avoiding the players rushing for the pvp hot spots. straight loot running isnt really something new players should be doing if they can avoid it, loot running alongside tasks and scav hunting is where you want to find your feet with the game.

quote:

doing the initial power grind to BTC miner will net you forever income and float you for the rest of the game so you don't have to skulk around the edges of maps just hitting stashes and avoiding the fun parts of the game.

again for a new player attempting a power grind to a btc miner is going to make you hate the game probably. its much better to start slow as theres a lot to take in in the game. tech running for brand new players was a lot more viable when that gpu you found was cash no matter what, when its "you can use it in the miner eventually" which is itself locked behind multiple trader levels and a lot of expensive hideout upgrades that are going to take a new player far longer to hit its not as useful, especially when money is a common concern for people starting out. in comparison running stashes lets you leave raid alive more often, and safes give a much more reliable income from stuff that doesnt need fir to get you cash and doesnt need your hideout already setup to the point you can use gpus.

have to consider what new players not being chaperoned are going to come up against and how much there is to take in at first.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

not everyone will want that and some will just be looking for general advice, i cant imagine playing the game that way personally lol but theres lots of different ways to approach the game

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

deadseedinside posted:

lol

tbh these sound like maybe "you" problems and not universal issues. We've done sherpa for many a goon for many a year now and you make it sound harder than it is.

lol

quote:

There is absolutely a vertical learning curve for tarkov and the people that tend to enjoy and stick with the game are the ones that got into it for that exact reason.

Extract camping is VERY largely exaggerated and is literally like a 1-2% of your raids occurrence and even those you don't know if they were just arriving there at the same time or heard you so stopped to ambush. Either way.

at no point mentioned extract camping, i was talking about getting killed inside the mall trying to get out of the tech areas. this is especially true for a new solo player who is not going to be the quickest looter or familiar with the map. ive died to a single extract camper ever so im def not talking about that lol

quote:

Getting good at the game requires playing the game and just skulking around the edges of the map is a way to get bored and stop playing because it's boring. The best way to learn the game aspects are to throw yourself into the meat grinder and get over gear fear right off the hop. Literally none of it matters and it's almost impossible to actually go broke in tarkov even if you're are terrible at the game (which everyone is). Running stashes IS just loot running and will not actually help you progress through the lovely early stages of PMC evolution. Getting your hands dirty and not worrying about dying will elevate you 100 times faster and get you farther than ratting around the peripherals by yourself endlessly. Fwiw, i prefer to do most of my questing and whatnot solo simply because i find it easier to actually get poo poo done and not get your poo poo pushed in by 5mans. Solo you are always in control of when to go, when to wait, when to shoot and when to run. Solo play and Squad play are very different beasts in tarkov but either way or a combination can make you better, faster, stronger and richer quicker.

hitting up stashes as you go through customs getting tasks done isnt the same as chain rushing tech in interchange. one is purely loot running, the other is a way to bolster your income while focusing on learning maps and getting tasks done, which will progress you through the early game.

i agree the best way to learn the game is to throw yourself into it, but there is still a limitation to what you should be doing. someone throwing themselves into dorms mindlessly is probably going to have a worse time learning the game than someone playing a bit more carefully. you still need to go into the map to get tasks done and should be doing that, but keeping to the quieter areas when youre literally learning the layout of the map, how scavs work, how the audio works etc is going to soften the learning curve and let new players control how hectic they want things to get because it puts them in a position to hear fighting happening and then choose whether to go into it or not.

as for playing quietly being boring, it really depends on the person! some people will find it boring, but theyre also much more likely to then seek out other people to play with. i find both skulking around quietly and sprinting around like an idiot fun in different ways.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

although i think you should use scav runs to do pure loot runs thats where its at. if youre new and learning the game always use your scav run off cooldown, use them to learn new maps and to get your bank up.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

tarkov is like, niche popular, also i feel like a lot of people only watch the game and dont play it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

owning myself just in case someone dares loot a lab card if i die

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

scav run

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

until you have a good handle over how guns control in tarkov in general and the gun you are specifically using controls yes youre often better off stopping to fire and then moving rather than trying to cs jiggle around.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

why

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

alternatively sprint around constantly and reposition on people

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah that was more for drpop, once youve got your bearings in the game you need to start not being afraid to sprint

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah but even out of fights its good to sprint, in fact especially if youre trying to be sneaky to do a quest or something. if you want to not get caught doing it just book it there so no one else has arrived yet.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dr. Clockwork posted:

There's a week long 24/7 drops event, which are mostly poo poo. I got some matches.

i got some matches. also a labs card, an aesa, a fast mt, a mule and a goldstar. and three wires.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i hope if they ever do that its entirely optional so i can still go into the raids where all the gear lords are and take their stuff

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DrPop posted:

I have just learned that the bunkers on Woods are basically sensory deprivation chambers. You can barely hear anything happening outside or around them when you are inside. Was doing a duo just now and thankfully my buddy was keeping watch outside and heard someone come in while I was looting and was able to gank him as he walked full-speed into the entrance. Good to know!

does that mean theyve stopped them making noises like youre walking through the bushes on the surface when youre inside them too

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hakimashou posted:

They ought to make a spinoff game with the tarkov weapon modding stuff and keep all the poo poo they cribbed from coutnerstrike and fortnight with the levitation-glide side strafe fighting, toss in some GamerScore and GearScore MatchMaker CompetitiveGamerStream stuff and then put tarkov back the way it used to be, get rid of the gamerfication, and let the two evolve separately.

yeah all that counter strike and fornite stuff in tarkov, its endemic really. sick of it... put it back to normal and hey, while youre at it remove the magic potions already

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

delivery from the past difficulty is directly correlated to the spawn you get when you go into factory for the second part

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah they literally say it was cultists in the post

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

playing solo is the way to go, learning the maps goes a lot easier and quicker when youre actually exploring the map and not just being ran around. also the games more fun solo, more intense, more rewarding when you wipe a squad and get all the loot out etc. the lack of squad indicators owns because it lets you actually take on squads solo once you get comfortable with the maps and the combat because you dont have to worry about anything but shooting everyone you see.

Just Chamber posted:

the gunplay isnt great [...] map design etc etc

i was with you until here lol the gunplay and the map design is part of what makes it so good to me

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Roman posted:

I'm down to 8000 rubles after a bunch of solo runs to kill scavs on customs for the quest, buying an sks each time and carrying only 10 of my new year's gift bp, because i was told that was the only gun i should be using and all the other ammo types in the game are useless. i somehow killed one scav and just got instakilled out of nowhere every other time. i ended up not taking any armor or meds or whatever after the first 2 runs because you die instantly to everything and i would just lose it all anyway so who cares. now i have to wait to see if insurance gets any of the guns back in a couple days. my last run was knife only because why not. i tested it on a scav, and preliminary results indicate knives are useless. fun game!

keep your meds in your secure so you can heal but dont lose them if you die. you can put extra ammo there as well if you want. this early in the wipe and especially given that you are trying to kill scavs primarily right now, dont worry too much about using the right guns etc. just try stuff out, find one thats comfortable. just go in with a pistol and a rig even! also if you get down to nothing i believe there is some safety thing where youll get bailed out with some cash, i dont know if thats still around and how exactly it triggers and what you get though, someone else will certainly know.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

pistols are a fun time for hunting scavs with little risk, just wear a cheap rig so the scavs dont get mad and dogpile you

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sks is what i used when i started and i always loved it. its def viable, but how you feel about the iron sights is probably going to make or break it for you.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also the kedr is available level 1 and all smgs are unironically insanely fun to use and will shred scavs

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

nikita make the pp-19 a trader purchase at level 1

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

think going by context probably was annoyed with the sks slow top loading reload

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Roman posted:

yes

i'm doing scav runs on shoreline and am getting junk and learning the map even though I'm not fighting anyone. also it's nice that you can loot your scav of all his random gear afterwards. sometimes they have a few nice things, like the slug shotty with tac light I'll use on my main next time

yeah shoreline is really nice for scav runs when youre learning, its a great combo of decent loot but both relatively large and with other players concentrated in an area you can avoid. gives you a chance to make some money and get your bearings in the game a bit more easily. scav runs are just great in general, always worth throwing them into a map off cooldown

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

with surviving the start of customs, its down to know where youve spawned quickly. there are players who will rush nearby spawn spots immediately and around big red theyre extremely close together so you need to move straight away, preferably away from the other players if youre not looking for a fight.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

scavs should spawn at map start and that shouldve been the "solution" to hatchet running rather than all the fir changes

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

reserve has great loot and its everywhere. id say its what you want to money run starting out if the map wasnt always full of chads for that exact reason.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i learned the game solo and laser focused on customs early and died a lot and now its my favorite map

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

id always just cross through up over the rail tracks a little away from new gas and then down back by bus depot.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the warehouse side custom spawns are very punishing and prob need tweaking. its one of the only spots id say you want to learn spawns for early on, if you spawn on the road you have to just leave the area immediately or fight another pmc.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

wasnt it broken before as well but the other way around lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Pharmaskittle, our friend, and myself had three good raids in a row last night, we didn't die, killed scavs and even a PMC or two, and made out with full inventories. When this game hits, the additional layer of rpg persistence obuilt nto PUBG's eastern block royale aesthetics is sublime.

thats whats up

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah they need to let you do the item search on traders only pre-10 its really annoying

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

farming 4 needs fir gpus, the bitcoin farm doesnt and you can use ones you die with or buy them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

shoreline owns...........