Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

i vomit kittens posted:

Played in a group larger than 2 for the first time tonight and the game really is completely different than solo; I didn't die a single time in 3 raids. I feel like solo players (or at least me) are a lot less inclined to open fire on 4 people running around which means you pretty much have free reign to sprint everywhere until you run into another squad. The compass is also a great addition for being able to actually call out directions when you do get shot at.

3 is the sweet spot - any more than that and you really need to either be on the same page with callouts and comms or constantly push so hard that It’s obvious that the dudes barreling forward full speed are with the party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Skipped out most of last wipe after going super hard the wipe before. I continue to be impressed by the strong direction they manage to take this game in. Lots of changes that sound incredibly anti QOL but end up being a non issue, lots of really cool new additions.

Drops so far have been pretty solid - even if it’s a lot of trash, there is bound to be some useful stuff with it being so early into the wipe. High point for me so far is 100x AP slugs, which as a sub level 10 player are a god send. Really hoping for some sort of container drops, as early game inventory management is an absolute mess without being able to offload poo poo to the flea market and with the lack of poverty icases from holiday gifts.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Between raider farming and people who just have the time to play this game 8+ hours a day, it’s not surprising. If you know what you’re doing you can run reserve a few times and come out with a bunch of thicc boi kits pretty easily.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
honestly just make a single player game in the engine with a spec ops theme + more mp5s and rogue spear mission planning and I swear to god I’ll never play another game again

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Stuff that will prob never happen:
1. Open world
2. Whatever faction stuff was posted above

Stuff that will happen instead:
1. Increasingly more elaborate and obscure negative status effects
2. Well made map reworks and additions

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Yes - bitcoin farm, scav case, and some of the crafting loops you unlock with later levels of the workbench are free passive income that will propel you to the EFT Upper-middle class.

It’s easy as hell to make money in this game, but even easier when you can poop out a few bitcoins + random scav case loot + gunpowders/mag boxes/whatever is good to craft on a daily basis

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Even at a slower pace, pushing hideout upgrades will for sure be worth it long term - scav case, bitcoin farm, and a few of the lavatory/workbench crafts are incredible (mostly passive) money makers. Of the things you listed, it’s really the only true “investment” in the sense that it will have a return on the money spent.

Cases are always nice, but at a certain point if you need a ton of cases, you’re probably hoarding too much poo poo. It’s worth it for the inventory space and sanity to sell common kit items (guns, standard mags, helmets, etc) and rebuy them when you need them. Like if you say you need a mags case but you just have a bunch of 30 rounders, you should just liquidate those.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Firing range is kinda neat, and can be useful for testing out optics/recoil/general weapon characteristics. You will not actually consume ammo. It should be relatively low priority though since you can’t do anything there that you can’t just do in an offline raid.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I like running factory scav - I can do it mostly AFK throughout the day while I focus on work or poo poo around the house. It’s fast and can be super lucrative, even if it’s just taking 2 minutes to pop a scav to negate the run through and get out with whatever you spawned in with. It’s definitely not the most optimal approach, but it’s value is that it takes almost no effort or time.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
My dream is they add a full replay viewer post raid - it would be a nice QOL addition so they prob never will, but it would be an amazing tool to be able to no-clip around the raid and see the flow of the raid. It would be wild to be able to see how many times you just barely crossed paths with another PMC, where you got killed from, where what spawned, etc

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
is it even an AI scav if you don’t get 1 shot by buckshot to the face or limbs

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

sum posted:

Wow it turns out adding the military-designed weapons literally designed to be effective against armored personnel at short/short-intermediate ranges has broken the meta of our game where 90% of fights happen at 50 meters or less. Who would have guessed.

Also I've come up with a stash/loot run of Woods that has pretty much removed the challenge of the game. I'm extracting ~90% of the time averaging like 700k rubles a run. I'm running around with thermals and class 6 armor just for giggles now.

A few nights ago the group I was in literally fought like 7 or 8 PMC in a row across 4 raids, all with 9mm vectors lol

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Idk I’ve ended every wipe with a mid level Bitcoin rig and a hideout spitting out free money faster than I can spend it along with a huge stack of money. I’ve also never done any of the really annoying quests like the weird factory office kills one (even though I love factory) or some of the esoteric jaeger requirements.

Somewhere around level 25-30 you hit a point that you can basically run whatever gear you want, regardless of price, and do whatever you want.

You don’t really need to complete an annoying quest just so you can save 1k a round on ammo when you have like 30m roubles laying around, and the quests you need to complete to get to that point are moderately annoying at the worst.

I think the weird and annoying quests are good because they give you something to engage with once you’ve reached this point that isn’t just spending a bunch of time playing dress up with guns and armor and then shooting dudes (which is still really fun!)

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Inspector_666 posted:

There is absolutely no upside to in-game voip and an absolute litany of downsides.

I mean there could probably be a few funny moments with in game voip but it does not account with the obvious problems, which range from “getting called gamer words by 13 year olds” to “crushing network performance with voip traffic”

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Canuckistan posted:

I'm just starting out and I'm finding the small stash size a problem. Should I sell all the construction poo poo I'm hoarding? I know I'll need it soon, but until I open up the flea market I'm really pressed for space.

Also, there's no reason to keep food/MRE/Water, right? It's plentiful enough that I can find it on the go?

If you’re not doing it already, pull mags and pistol grips off all your guns so they are 1 row. Magazines are the other thing that can easily eat up a bunch of space - anything you can get from a vendor (or if you have flea market unlocked, any standard 20/30 round mags) can be sold to make space.

If you have flea market and have a bunch of FIR “scav guns” like SKS, mosin, hunters, etc. just liquidate them now. The prices for stuff that commonly spawn on scavs stays cheap. Even without flea if you have a ton of these and can buy them from a vendor, dump it. Guns are cool but they’re one of the least efficient items to store in terms of cost per slot.

If you’re really desperate, figure out which rigs and backpacks are positive storage space (more slots inside than they take up) and start stuffing them full of whatever trinkets you have laying around.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
LGD covered it will but yeah I’d say be more careful about sprinting at the start, but once you learn maps you absolutely should be sprinting almost any time it’s “safe” to do so. Even lots of times where someone might hear you, it’s better for you to be sprinting and get in a good position than not and be sitting in a bush or an obvious choke or whatever

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
ya the problem is def salewas not 400k bitcoins and 180k fuel cans

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I think this wipe has evolved pretty quickly - access to the hideout definitely speeds up how fast the turbo gamers can get to the point where they are running fully kitted - both from the absolute explosion of income that is BTC farming and the huge leg up you get on early flea market prices by being slightly ahead of the curve. It felt like by 2-3 weeks in, it was common to see dudes already in full meta builds.

I think unfortunately what this means is we will continue to see aggressive nerfs to the hideout, which, as sad as it is, is definitely needed because it continues to be absolutely OP. I just hope that BSG can directly address the issue (rate of BTC production) instead of taking has fisted swipes at ancillary factors.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

ChesterJT posted:

Yeah that was my problem with the design choices they've made the last year or so. They should let the players have as many choices to play as they want as long as it doesn't hurt the player base at large. Found in raid system is a good example of that. They are slowly pigeon-holing everyone and at a certain point there will be about 50 people left who will be very excited they got the perfect game they wanted. I'll have gotten my moneys worth out of it by then so more power to them.

Some people don't know what they want though. They say people being decked out too early on is terrible for the game but also say they're gaming gods who can one-tap them with their ppsh and the players complaining should "get good" like them.

BSG has stated like multiple times that this is their explicit goal.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Stux posted:

everyone complained about late spawns, so now the game waits for everyones ancient pc to load in off a broken platter driive instead. enjoy.

i could not find any salewas or even a syringe for so long thaht i had 10 fir morphines and 6 gas ans ready to go lol

Fwiw this is worth it 100% and I’d rather wait than spawn late into literally any map - especially customs reserve and factory are shitshows if you have a bad late spawn

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Kashwashwa posted:

This game feels so hostile to newbies it's crazy. I barely made it to an extraction zone with a few seconds left, turns out you need the full 7 seconds or whatever for you to extract.

Don’t worry, it’s hostile to literally all players and not just newbies

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Toalpaz posted:

did yall see this?

This would own really hard

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I have a low amount of faith that BSG can both make a good standalone shooter and not gently caress up or totally neglect Tarkov proper. With that said the concept honestly sounds pretty fun. Tarkov has hands down the best shooting and customization mechanics there are, and applying this to a different type of game could be fun as hell.

I’d they do it straight up “fast respawns small maps” COD style it will probably be trash - that sort of game requires a very specific style of map design that I think is so wildly different from EFT that it would be tough to pull off. I think it is most likely that we get this, and it’s middling.

Alternatively, something more open and objective based, similar to Battlefield, Rising Storm 2, or Insurgency could own. Those games are all on the “faster paced, meat grinder, objective based” side of things where you still are very much more on the arcade-y side of things but it tracks better with the current weapon design in Tarkov.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Dang it really takes some of the magic out when you think back to all of the times you died some bullshit death and justified it to yourself with “man this game is so brutal, that dude must have been stalking me forever to get the perfect angle” or “wow what a crazy good shot” and turns out nah they were prob just cheating like initially assumed.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Hazamuth posted:

I think nikita mentioned on reddit that some sort of after action replay system was planned during the cheating furore. No dates, of course.

I’ve wanted this for a while - not even to help identify cheaters, it would just be cool a gently caress. It would be an awesome learning tool for new players to be able to review a raid and see how other players and scavs spawned, pathed through the map, etc.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
My interest in Arena will be heavily based on how good the maps and objective modes are. I have very little interest in playing tarkov paintball but if they manage to make some interesting maps that capture some of the tactical shooter vibe of something like raven shield or insurgency it could be pretty cool. If all the maps end up being small “rush B” type engagements it will be a hard sell.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You're "behind" mere hours after the wipe starts.

It wasn’t so bad in the past when pre-flea/level 2 trader you still had access to stuff like 762 AKs and SKS with PS, m80 hunter scav gear, and mosins with LPS. Kinda sucks needing to get to level 15 before you’re allowed to pen level 4. I started a week or so late this wipe and was immediately matching into Customs lobbies mostly populated with 20+ players and game is hard when your options are leg meta or head eyes only.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 29, 2023

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Does anyone actually use the “step out” or blind fire binds? They’re kind of cool ideas but I always unbind them because I end up doing them when I don’t want to.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
You know you’re getting into a tarkov wipe when you’re at the point where you lose patience with all the dumb “mark xyz” on shoreline quests and just start running them with a silenced glock and SJ6 at night.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
SPT looks really cool and I’d like to mess around with it at some point but imo the multiplayer experience is 100% what makes the game as great as it is. Team play (and mostly duo) is kind of the bread and butter for tarkov for me. There’s a lot of dumb and annoying bullshit in this game, both intentional and unintentional, and a huge amount of the fun is being able to trudge through that with some friends on discord.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
drat it’s gonna be hard for BSG to carve that out of the meager $150 purchase price

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Been playing a bunch of night raids this wipe for the first time and it honestly owns - it has quickly become my default way to play solo raids. It’s really immersive in this game and definitely scratches the green vision operator roleplay itch. The monocular is great for a budget NVG setup and while it sucks to lose some peripheral vision the increased range and clarity makes it easier to bully players and scavs from the shadows, especially in lovely conditions. Night lobbies are a bit quieter and way more predictable which feels like it makes it easier to find stuff to shoot at. I get way more PMC kills at night because it seems like most people just beeline an objective thinking that they are invisible at night. The mini game of turning your one pair of NVG into multiple by killing people and taking theirs is great and adds some excitement to looting player kills that you don’t always get just picking up guns and armor.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's really poorly executed to the level of being pointless. The dynamic spawns aren't all around the map, they're just next to existing spawns. You still run the same routes and go to he same places -- I think people envisioned that loot would be spawning dynamically all over the map, forcing you to scrounge all over but this ain't that

Why do people even want this though? Like they got rid of hatchet running by adding stuff like FIR and secure restrictions, at a certain level isn’t “go to the POI to get loot or kill the people trying to get loot” the whole point of the game?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Going out of their way to prioritize hacking some detection for the SPT install into their anticheat process is exactly the sort of poo poo I can see BSG doing

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

null_pointer posted:

Would there have been any real benefit to buying one of the higher tier EFT packages? I'm still a noob, so I may have missed the memo that the Gold Tier (or whatever) was the best value. I don't think so, but it just popped into my head so I thought I'd ask.

If you enjoy the game and can afford the spend, 1000%. The bigger secure container is nice, bigger stash is super helpful, and IMO the bonus trader rep is the most useful part. You can basically coast to level 3 traders without really having to focus on specific tasks too much, eliminating some of the more annoying stretches of the trader LL progression.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Tarkov isn’t in beta any more. What you have now is a complete product. Betas don’t get multiple twitch marketing campaigns and a spin-off game.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I really hope they add some sort of post match replay. Let me pay fence 30k to follow me with a drone or whatever. I care way less about finding cheaters and way more about how cool it would be to be able to go back and contextualize the poo poo that happened in a raid.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Recoil changes are dope and single-handedly make this wipe one of the most fun in a long time. Audio is still hot garbage but if they manage to fix that up I’d say that hands down this is the best Tarkov has ever been. Running night raids in the snow is atmospheric as gently caress while also being super functional. Unless it’s really bad weather or that pre-sunrise lighting the snow makes it so much easier to see at night that you can run without NVG, which is very convenient for early wipe when your access to NVG + mounts is pretty limited.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

ROFLburger posted:

What kind of babby's first game loop should beginners be worried about? I'm just looking for general guidance about what to focus on for my first few dozen games. Should I try to focus on doing quests? Is there anything I can do to level up skills faster? I assume I should expect to get poo poo on every game and not to get too frustrated if I have an abysmal extraction rate.

Biggest thing is find a friend who knows the game to carry you and tell you where to go for a bit until you get your bearings. The goon discord seems pretty friendly and if you’re coming from another similar game you probably know some other people who play too.

Quests are pretty important and should usually be your main objective but don’t over commit to them if it’s not working out. Sometimes you just get a bad spawn/extract or something else puts you out of position for wherever the quest wants you to go and it may be better to just try to do something else and go next.

Your hideout is also important - it gives small passive buffs to skill leveling and unlocks various crafting stations. Crafted items count as “found in raid” and are eligible for quest turn ins so it’s often a quick way to make progress there.

Don’t get discouraged when you get owned not only often, but very early into raids. Map and spawn knowledge is super important and without it it will probably feel like there’s a bunch of times where you get deleted 30 seconds out of your spawn because you didn’t know that “oh this spawn on this map is sandwiched between two other potential spawns and I just ran into one.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Mischievous Mink posted:

Shoreline has felt at least quite a bit improved with their expansion and changes, when I get Shorelined really hard it's usually in the first five minutes of being alive, and if I make it that long it's been pretty good. There's a lot more cover and stuff to move along. It still seems silly to spawn at the lighthouse exit and be able to immediately leave, though.

Shoreline is basically the map version of the “mfw I’m reaping/sowing” meme. It’s very fun when you’re the dude killing people at a choke or pushing out of their spawn, and the map plays way better when you go out of your way to do so, but very unfun when the same exact thing happens to you.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 12, 2024