Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Tips for new folks, from a guy who has only been playing since mid-August:

1) Think you heard something? You did. Don't ever assume it was nothing. It wasn't.
2) Not worried about that noise because it's just a scav? It's not.
3) He's always got a buddy, no matter who "he" is.
4) Even if he doesn't have a buddy, somebody else heard your gunshots and they are coming.

With these 4 simple rules committed to memory you will avoid a large percentage of the kinds of deaths I repeatedly experienced when I was new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I just died in Woods like three minutes ago and I'm staring at a black screen but I can hear the guy I shot doing surgery and healing himself :allears:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

You'll run into a blatant cheater once in a blue moon on labs, haven't seen anything even the least bit suspicious anywhere else.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

My first reaction was that giving everybody 900 rounds of top tier 7.62 ammo in the first week of a wipe really goes against the spirit of the thing, but on the other hand most of that is going to be shot or lost to death within a few days so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

I'm much more concerned with where I'm going to put all of this poo poo.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Why would you ditch the card? Just some weird "if I can't get out with it I'm gonna make sure nobody else does either" thing?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Don't feel too bad about getting lit up by scavs. I think getting out of the "they're just bots, how dangerous can they be" mentality is one of the early hurdles a Tarkov player has to clear. They are extremely dangerous.

Try to break line of sight and reposition a little, they have serious tunnel vision. And stay as quiet as you can.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Munkeylord posted:

really makes me wish that there was some sort of cap for matches that involve the casuals vs the full timers. pretty sure the full timers would get tired of fighting themselves if this was a thing. there are some extremely flawed things about this game. that being one of them

The moment the game starts matching based on skill, time played, gear level, or absolutely anything, you can stick a fork in it. The random anything-can-happen style of raids is what makes Tarkov stand out from everything else.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Don't waste a single rouble on in game maps. Go to the wiki and use the maps there. Your first day in game is going to be spent stumbling around trying to figure out where the hell you are, but you'll learn to recognize landmarks and such pretty quickly.

One thing that can help is understanding extracts. On Customs for example, if your extract is ZB-011 then you spawned on the west end of the map. Actually you spawned on the east end of the map, because the Customs maps on the wiki have south at the top. But in terms of the map you're looking at, you're on the west end somewhere. If your extract is Trailer Park/Crossroads, you're on the east end of the map. From there you can try to narrow down exactly what spot you're at.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Huntsman path cold blooded is the stupid quest in this goddamn loving waste of a game WHY DOES IT TAKE FORTY FUCKIN SECONDS FOR THE TREMOR TO KICK IN WHY DO YOU MAKE A QUEST THAT SCREAMS "GO DO IT ON FACTORY" AND THEN MAKE THAT HAPPEN? EVERYONE IS DEAD BEFORE FORTY SECONDS HAVE PASSED IN FACTORY I HAVE GOTTEN A MILLION HEADSHOTS WITH A BROKEN ARM BUT NOPE NO CREDIT, TREMOR IS TAKING ITS SWEET rear end loving TIME

gently caress

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I accidentally healed my fractured arm. loving muscle memory :negative:

It was time to step away from that poo poo for a little while anyway.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Working my way through all the Shoreline quests and man I hope that map is the next to get a rework. It's not my least favorite map (that'd be Interchange) but it's definitely the one I find the most boring.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Give whoever told you the sks is the only viable weapon a good slap, because that's some of the worst advice I've ever heard regarding this game.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah I'm not dogging the sks, it's a great beginner weapon. I'm taking issue with the statement that it's the only viable one.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Ixtlilton posted:

I feel like I'm the only goon who hates buckshot though, you end up with 300 to arms and 200 to armor before you finally hit a headshot and even trying to leg scavs takes 4-5 shots for me from 10-ish meters, would rather use the stock sks than buckshot but ymmv.

Magnum buckshot or flechettes once they're available shred pretty nicely. I think the lesser buckshots underperform though and I avoid them.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

New Woods is great but not gonna lie kinda dreading that last Tarkov Shooter task this time around.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm on the US East Coast and currently have it set to auto select and my wait times are definitely upwards of 10 minutes in the evenings, less if I play early.

I don't think it's unique to Chicago, I think it's just there's so many people playing right now that everyone is having to wait in line to get a game.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Finally saw some cultists earlier today, they attacked me at the fortress on customs. I got poisoned, managed to kill one and loot him before scurrying off and extracting thanks to RUAF being open, otherwise probably wouldn't have made it. They're fast and sneaky, I don't even know how many there were, I only saw two. Highlight of the encounter was me muttering "poo poo" under my breath when I realized what I was dealing with, while my schoolteacher wife was doing a zoom class with a bunch of 8th graders and an open mic a few feet away. :v: Thankfully she was talking when I said it and none of them noticed.

The wiki is wrong about the knives, the one I killed was not a priest but he had a poisoned knife.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Just an FYI, it's still possible to do the 10 PMCs on Shoreline for Punisher 4 with just the balaclava. No need for the scav vest.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Have you guys had any luck with the Rock Passage extract on Shoreline since the wipe? The one north of the resort? I've done probably a couple dozen raids there now, checked it most times, and I haven't seen it open even once.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

DrPop posted:

Just getting to the point where I'm doing all the early-mid Shoreline quests (early PKeeper, Punisher, Therapist stuff) and fuuuuuck I forgot how much I hate this map!!!

I feel you buddy, I gotta get 5 more PMC kills for Punisher 4 and then I can say goodbye to this boring map for awhile. P4 is a contender for my least favorite quest in the game purely for the 10 PMC kills on Shoreline. I'd rather do them anywhere else.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Just FYI, the Smoke balaclava doesn't work for Punisher 4. I imagine they'll get around to enabling it at some point, but for now don't try it.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Keep working on your tasks as much as you can, that's where the major experience comes from. You might have to buy a couple of keys if you can't find them in drawers or jackets. Or ask goons to go with you and open doors for you.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

LGD posted:

rec battery->ADAR is now rec batter + 2 chainlets->ADAR

This change really sucks and I don't see it doing anything but hurting newer players who are now missing out on a chance to easily get their hands on a nice but not in any way overpowered weapon.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

MP5SD + 7N31 + Monstrum for life.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

You can also level Skier by buying euros, which you will need many thousands of later on.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

wedgie deliverer posted:

I'm new to this game. Is there a trick to not getting spawn camped or is it just a matter of getting good and winning that fight?

You've got to be ready to fight or you've got to move away from your spawn immediately, which can be very simple on some maps and a huge problem on others. Tons of players will push towards other nearby spawns to try and thin the crowd. If you want to avoid a fight find a bush or some other place where you can hide for the first five minutes or so.

This will be extremely difficult at first but as you get more experience and more map knowledge you'll find you get killed right out the gate a lot less, though it'll still happen sometimes. It doesn't matter how long you've been playing, EVERYONE will occasionally have a raid where they die in the first 2 minutes without even seeing who killed them.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

what kind of sick person doesn't let somebody complete delivery from the past

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Slumpy posted:

Are you the guy I just killed in customs? Salsasaurus?

lol no, I'm just feeling empathy for Stux

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Try Karmakut's standard edition playthrough. It's from a few patches ago so the Woods expansion isn't present in this series, but aside from that it's good. He plays solo, he's fairly slow and cautious, and he explains everything he does pretty well. This was one of the first series I watched when I was new to the game and it helped me a lot. I'm sad he doesn't seem to be playing this wipe.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I can believe a scav run like that could have a 90ish% survival rate. My scav is at something like 78% and I scav customs almost exclusively. Woods is much larger and less linear, if you're a good sneak and especially if you're adept at running nights it shouldn't be too hard.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm getting tired of looking for a ledx and wish I could just craft one

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

OMFG YOU CAN CRAFT ONE NOW

That explains why powerbanks were selling for stupid money this morning lol

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Put as many rails on a weapon as possible, load up with flashlight/laser sight combos, head into a night raid and see how much you can confuse and scare people

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Green powder can be crafted from vendor bought items that cost about 24k and will sell for over 60, it's what I produce most of the time, though I use a lot of it to craft ammo.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Hemostat for salewa will screw new players on therapists first quest because the hemostat isn't available at trader level one. Hope they change that

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

How could anyone FORGET that?

Very sus

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I wore a 6B43 Zabralo into factory so I could get it shot up for that one Ragman quest. I've never worn one before. It felt like playing the original Silent Hill. Absolute battleship. Never wanna wear one again.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

FileNotFound posted:

Did you actually make it out alive?

The only time I wore one I got my legs blown out drat near instantly....

I did! First try too. I went to nighttime factory, found a single scav, and stood close to him. Every shot he took hit the armor and then I scooted. Wasn't that bad, really.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I've had a lot more luck shotgunning in factory with magnum buckshot or flechettes than I have with AP-20. 153 w/ flechettes is actually my preferred weapon if I'm going in there. But I like shotties in general in Tarkov, they're fun and they're dangerous, to ranges that are a lot further than you might expect given the way other FPS games do shotguns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Most players go USEC because most players speak at least some English. I wonder if more players go BEAR in Russia and other parts of Eastern Europe.

I'm personally an American who goes BEAR, and the only Russian word I know is SUKAAAAA