Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Confirming even getting level 1 of the butt coin farm going is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Tips for new folks, from a guy who has only been playing since mid-August:

1) Think you heard something? You did. Don't ever assume it was nothing. It wasn't.
2) Not worried about that noise because it's just a scav? It's not.
3) He's always got a buddy, no matter who "he" is.
4) Even if he doesn't have a buddy, somebody else heard your gunshots and they are coming.

With these 4 simple rules committed to memory you will avoid a large percentage of the kinds of deaths I repeatedly experienced when I was new.

It pays to be paranoid in this game. Those sounds aren't yours. There's always one more. Learn to loot quickly. Learn the shortcuts for moving gear around during a raid so when you stop to loot something you don't take too long. Dying while looting happens to everyone (camping bodies is a completely valid strategy and works a surprising amount) just don't be the goober who kills someone and tunnel visions on their corpse then spend 10 minutes rearranging your inventory. Insurance fraud your poo poo so you can take the bad guy's stuff.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Ghost of RBG posted:

Just went into a scav run on Customs because I'm a complete noob at this game, I got lucky on the RNG because I got a cool-looking scav character with a dope AK and a halloween mask. I decided to make it to the extract no matter what so I can get this gun and add it to my small collection.

The game starts, I run from all the firefights around me and from any sounds, all the way to the crossroads extract (the furthest one, apparently) and successfully got the gently caress outta Tarkov. My heart was beating hard the entire time, what an odd feeling.

Anyway, when I'm on the item screen I noticed that not only did this scav have an awesome gun, but had also tucked away a labs keycard on his pocket. I had no clue it was there and I feel like it was better that I didn't know :shrug:

:shobon:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Bone stock SKS is what you use until level ten when the flea market becomes available and you can buy veprs with a kobra and minimal upgrades.

Also I generally struggle with the 1-10 period of the wipe as well, but it was made much easier with the 900 rounds of BP we got for free. I sort of snowballed off of it and got some gear that's pretty decent for early game. Still, I think I'm like level 16 right now and if I need to buy a gun I'm buying either the 762 or 366 vepr and using the either free (762 BP which I still have hundreds of rounds of) or buying 366 AP which is reasonably priced on the flea especially for a semi-auto.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

The only streamer that *really* bothers me is Veritas. His level of whininess is just in a league of its own. Landmark and Worrun are entertaining for just how loving good at the game they are, but they're always kitted with the best possible gear and 80% of their kills are your average guys who just can't react at the same speed. So alot of it is just pooping on guys worse than them. Also generally speaking the way they play is mega twitchy and unless you're a god tier FPS player trying to maximize Tarkov's peaker's advantage it's not representative of how you'll end up playing the game. Guys like Deadlyslob and Anton are good for general goofiness and are probably better watches if you're just starting to play this game. The kits they take are much more varied. Deadlyslob in particular explains everything.

Great Beer posted:

Don't forget the same 3-4 memes chiming every few minutes as people subscribe or donate money.

This is also a huge enjoyment problem with me and can make the streams or videos almost unwatchable as people put in messages into the text to voice system like "hi landmark you're so cool llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll el el el el el el el el el"

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Phobeste posted:

When your guy shoulders a mosin with no rear sight it's clearly like pointed off to the side. Not great

It didn't used to be this way. When the mosin was first released (and was pretty OP) you could remove the rear sight without penalty to ADSing. So people were stripping the rear sight off to get a better sight picture when using the gun so BSG went in and nerfed the gently caress out of it by having your ADS not be exactly straight.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

DrPop posted:

God the initial roll-out of the Mosin was such a great time for this game

I used it almost exclusively. Just one taps to the chest for days.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Spaseman posted:

I'm only level 4 and have almost no idea what is safe to sell but my inventory is absolutely full of all kinds of crap and I know that some of it is valuable or necessary for trades/hideout but I really don't want to accidentally sell something I'll need/could sell for a lot.

Is there a way to safely determine what is worth hoarding and selling to a trader?

Take a picture of your inventory and post it here or in the discord and there are enterprising goons who will tell you what's what.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

I had the dorm car extract pull away, taking my money, and leaving me with a bug where I couldn't heal for the rest of the match

I laughed at this more than I probably should have

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I've been left behind on just regular non monetary exits. You gotta go to the next.

The biggest one of these I can think of is the RUAF extract on Customs, which is bugged and has been for a couple wipes now.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

What headphones do people use for listening?

Just comtacs for me. They get the job done. Frankly I've just gotten really used to them.

Razors and the Tactical Sport are also acceptable. Sordins if I have to. The only ones I refuse to use are the GGSH ones. I'd rather not have earpro than wear those. I've not tried the new Walker XCEL ones or the Ops-Core Fast Rac.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

So getting tapped in the face by scavs is definitely a right of passage - it's happened to everyone, but the number one thing I recommend to begin surviving scavs if you aggro them is to just shoot at them.

You're probably thinking this is a "git gud" post but what I'm really getting at is that in my experience all scavs perform worse when they are under fire even if you're not hitting them. The same is true for bosses and boss guards. Perfect headshots are a thing you do when you're super good and have the reaction time to line up the headshot before the scav goes from vocalizing to pulling the trigger, which isn't me - my reaction time is average at best on a good day. Or it's when the scav doesn't know you're there and you can take the time to aim without being under pressure. So if I stumble into a scav and they see me and aggro I'll just start firing. Their aim goes to poo poo. They might hit an arm or a leg or something in the exchange, or both, but they won't headshot me. Landing a hit on them is even better, even if its a stomach or an arm shot or something, because then the aim punch will really gently caress them up. If - after getting aggro'd - you sit there like a chump and just let them shoot at you while you take damage aiming the perfect head/eyes shot their aim will get progressively better and you're going to get murdered.

Most of this post is obviously just my personal anecdotes and I have no idea if scavs have a "i'm under fire adjust aim by -10" status coded in or anything. They probably don't and that's just my rose colored glasses.

Also, learn how to break aggro. This skill is especially important for boss scavs and boss guards, but also works wonders on ye olde regular scavs. If a scav sees you it will sit and watch the last place it saw you until it re-establishes contact. If you enter into a disadvantageous situation with a scav, hear it vocalize and aren't in a good position just run behind cover or something. Don't peak the same side twice. Resetting the encounter will give you breathing room to re-engage the scav. This goes double for dangerous scavs like bosses and guards and probably cultists too. They have better aim, better guns and better ammo and you can't afford to be trading fire with them. They also have an ESP feature that regular scavs don't and they basically know when you're looking at them. If they begin firing at you run away. Boss scavs and guards are aggressive enough to chase after you many times which will allow you to hold a corner on them as they run into your LOS. But even if they don't. Peaking your head around a corner they last saw you at is a recipe to get head tapped. Running away from boss scavs when they vocalize is also a real good way to not have a grenade land perfectly beneath your feet because they love to do that too.

Lastly, if you wear armor and a helmet your chances of dying to a scav go way down, not just because you have some level of protection from bullets but because scavs typically aim for unarmored areas like legs and arms. It's why I always wear a helmet. Helmets are, at best, going to save you only a handful of times per wipe from a player, because PMCs bring in typically good ammo that ignore most helmet armors barring a ricochet. But they will save you from scavs. I haven't been headtapped by a scav this wipe, but I have lost a bunch of arms and legs to them.

I get it, we're talking about basically losing the scav roulette and when a scav decides to head/eyes you with a toz when you walk around a corner there's not much you can do. These are just my general anti-scav/scav survival tips.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Paralysis of decision is a real thing in Tarkov that I struggle with pretty much every raid. It's not caused by gear fear. I have it if I'm a pistoling or am a thicc gearlord. I just hate dying and the fear of screwing up and then dying can sometimes make me act like them. Just too nervous to push. In my case I usually sit in a bush and wait for the situation to develop.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Stux posted:

pushing is v powerful always push

I know this. The times I unfuck myself and do something I get good results usually. But it can be tough sometimes to make the mental leap to actually move. Tarkov is a strange game man.

It's not like a perform badly at this game regardless. I get plenty of PMC kills. I'm just commenting on how the consequences of this game can make someone perform suboptimally in a situation and either make a bad decision or in my case, and what appears to be the case with the guys in the original video, not make a decision at all until its too late. It happens.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

It's somewhat absurd to me that some suppressors give better recoil reduction than the huge fuckoff muzzle breaks.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

The Tarkov is extremely strong today

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

There is absolutely no upside to in-game voip and an absolute litany of downsides.

:hmmyes:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

FileNotFound posted:

Insurance has been making me sad lately.

Nobody used to take my mp-153 shotguns - but now they're getting looted for some reason.

Hi. This is me. I probably took your 153 last night. Got a guy on Customs trying to kill me and my friends with one.

Seriously though, if I have an open secondary slot and nothing else to put there I'm grabbing it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Morshu posted:

So how prevalent are hackers in this game? I'm still relatively new, but had a pretty sketchy moment that felt like someone literally teleported behind me.

I was in the village on the east side of the woods, and I heard a guy stomping around outside and then get into a shootout with a scav, so I quietly snuck upstairs, which I had already cleared and confirmed was empty, and waited to see if he would come in after me or leave. After a few seconds I heard a THUMP right behind me like someone jumped or fell off a ledge and then got shot and died instantly.

Now, later on another run out of curiosity I went back to see if maybe it was possible to climb onto the roof, or onto an awning, or if there was a good vantage point to pop me from outside, and nope. I didn't see any possible way someone could've gotten in behind me. There was also no way this dude somehow got into the building and went upstairs without me noticing. It also wasn't a grenade.

I was kinda pissed off because I was rocking the best gear I had and it felt super sketchy, so is this something that happens from time to time or am I just salty that some dude outplayed me?

To answer the direct question: Hackers exist for sure and you're going to have some sketchy deaths in this game. That said, it's gotten significantly better than say, 2 to 3 wipes ago. It's gotten good enough that many times you're going to have a real hard time distinguishing between real hackers and players who outshoot/outplay you - as you're questioning right now. It happens to all of us. Then throw in things like the game's desync, lag, and overall pretty crappy netcode and you're going to run into situations where you make it behind cover from an attacker but die anyways and it's going to feel super sketch like he shot you through the walls but that's just Tarkovs desync at work.

Lastly, even when you're sneaking you make noise. It's faint, but a really good player will still hear soft steps, especially on things like wood or metal. Or if you shuffle your feet, turn around in place too quickly and it will set off alarm bells to anyone close enough with enough experience to recognize it. It's entirely possible they knew you were in the building. As for lack of vantage points on your position, I don't know exactly which building you are in, but tricky players will know how to get an angle on pretty much anything in the game. Especially players with high strength. They can jump up to places mere mortals can't and get odd angles you wouldn't think possible.

All that said, it's really tough to say without any video.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Cage Kicker posted:

If this were reddit there would be people 100% convinced you can't survive six raids in a row without hiding 10 minutes and extracting immediately, or cheating

Oh boy, they would not take kindly to my 17 raid win streak this wipe. I killed a lot of bad guys and got insanely lucky on a couple occasions including richocheting a bullet off the noggin.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

FileNotFound posted:

Everyone should play USEC. Because of that dumb friends from the west quest. So that next time I have to do it I don't find 2 bears for every 1 usec I kill....

This is the complete opposite for basically everyone else I've heard doing this quest. USECs are far more common than BEARs in this game.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

sinburger posted:

Otherwise NPC scavs will run around, stand in the open, and randomly voice line.

NPC scavs will also seek cover and peek corners. It’s kind of eerie when they do

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

sinburger posted:

Can someone explain what the deal is vendor fuel supplies? Specifically Jaeger.

Up until two or three days ago I never had issues buying a can of fuel from him, now he's constantly sold out.

I'm assuming that they implemented a finite amount of of fuel shared across all players because bitcoins hit some arbitrary price.

Fuel is at a premium. They nerfed fuel spawns across the whole game. Go check out what a metal fuel can costs on the flea, it's like 5-6 times what it is from Jaeger. With how expensive bitcoins are right now (over 650k as of this morning), there is a ridiculously high demand for fuel and a very low supply.

Basically, you're not going to get fuel from Jaeger unless you're sitting there when his stock turns over. He'll sell out in less than a minute.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Stux posted:

lets put a 97k vector up against a 97k m4

Is the vector player or the m4 player better at the game?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Malefitz posted:

My god what do you guys do with all this stash space?

You'll be real surprised how fast it fills up I promise you.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

sucks for you, abusing bugs and exploits in shittily made games is totally a-ok in my book, not only that but everyone should strive to exploit the gently caress out of incompetent developers

I actually think your general game advice is pretty good duder, but holy gently caress this is a lovely hill to die on.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I was fooled for a minute then I realized that Haki was the one making these weird posts and now I just want him to source his quotes.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

An Armored car boss?

That's not at all going to end up killing people in hilariously bullshit fashion.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Or it's just a cosmetic timed event like the train in reserve that just brings the boss and a bunch of raiders into the map. You can see them all hop out at the end of the video.

Maybe it's an extract after you kill the boss.

Nah. It’s going to be complete bullshit. This is BSG. Think of the worst case scenario. That’ll be it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

ShowTime posted:

Sure does sound like secure containers are gonna be lootable somehow, someway....

My other personal theory is it's not a teaser for anything and just a funny little easter egg.

Lootable secure containers is going to be one of those things that I'll yell about how BSG is destroying their game and say I'll never play the game again, which I've done like two or three times now, but gently caress I'll probably be back to play streets and deal with this poo poo anyways. But not having your secure containers be secure would be a huge kick in the nuts.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

InevitableCheese posted:

I hope this next patch adds another SMG

This, but unironically. More guns are cool and good and it's never made sense to me why people don't like new guns.

InevitableCheese posted:

and extra useless ammo types.

The ammo in Tarkov is and always has been a newbie trap and although I don't really care if they add a dozen new calibers, so many ammos are essentially useless garbage filler.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I think I'm officially done until streets is released. Although I've said that before so we'll see.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

They said streets was going to be released in like 20 expansions or something nuts like that, you may be waiting quite a while for that one.

That's fine. I've gotten hundreds of hours out of this game. Even with the bad with money edition I think I've got my money's worth.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

sum posted:

The solution to making late-wipe raids fun is to severely nerf high tier equipment, not making toilet paper artificially valuable. There's not a single helmet IRL that will stop a full-power rifle round and it should be the same in Tarkov.

Upper tier helmets are sort of a trap and are only really useful with high ricochet chances. They’ll only rarely save you from headshots.

I pretty much only wear a helmet to avoid reduce bullshit scav one taps. They’re only really immune to lovely ammo and pistol calibers which is what their irl purpose is anyways. Either way I don’t think I wore anything higher tier than a ULAACH all last wipe.

Also, the imbalance inherent in the game design is actually cool and good. Killing gearlords with poo poo equipment owns. Be like me and take budget poo poo in every raid but have a mag full of AP rounds and walk out with someone else’s poo poo.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

It's not the Tarkov that counts. It's the loot we found.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

A player scav leading around a large group of AI scavs would be hilarious and awesome

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

The flea market owns. Stop suggesting we nerf it. The game is considerably more accessible and fun since its inclusion into the game. It's already been nerfed into the ground since it was added, it doesn't need to be made any weaker.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

hello internet posted:

I don't understand why people get excited for wipes and then can't wait for 75% of the equipment to be worthless as fast as possible

I've been playing this game since before the flea market when the best loadout was an M4, a kiver and fort armor. I can say objectively that the game is far better and more accessible with the flea market and additional, arbitrary restrictions like NO GUNS OR ARMOR ALLOWED is silly. Especially since the FIR feature guarantees that the person selling that gun or armor found it in raid, either lying around or off a scav, scav boss or guard. The proliferation of good guns and armor has gone down significantly already and markups have continued to increase. The current flea market is already a shadow of its former usefulness.

Your goal of keeping the wipe fresher for longer is shared, but I disagree with your method. It just widens the gulf between the haves and the have nots.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

ShowTime posted:

A lot of people (including streamers) speak fondly of Tarkov before the flea

lol of course they would. Streamers are by definition playing this game professionally and whine loudly about the unfairness of people getting good gear they had to poopsock for. The game was not better off before the flea and the people who say as much are just upset that other people can get their gear sooner. Although now they're happier because their advantage lasts longer.

The real reason I love the flea market so much is it allowed me to skip doing quests. The entire game was open to me from basically the get go without having to collect salewas for therapist or shotguns for prapor or whatever the gently caress they want. Instead they're just funneling people into their quests to gain trader rep and the quests are boring and I've done them 4-5 times now. I could go to whatever map I wanted, when I wanted. Customs queuing taking too long because everyone is doing Customs to start the wipe? Cool I'll go to reserve and skip killing the scavs prapor wants me to murder or finding whatever key Skier lost and needs me to find. Instead of being led around by the hand to various maps and map locations Tarkov opened way up. I could happily focus on murdering other people and making bank off their corpses without the added burden of making sure my trader numbers go up.

They've been talking about overhauling quests for a while now, but have yet to do so. Thus I loathe them and would rather not interact with them.

To be fair, you can technically still do this. It's just harder. Because good PvP ammo i.e. the number 1 thing to make any set of gear competitive, is trader or hideout locked if you assume no access to the flea. Since they're never going to change their ammo systemit was absolutely cool and good that just making money let you circumvent the lovely aspects of this game. If they wanted to fix it they'd do something other than arbitrarily making the flea harder to access. Another poster said it well:

Franks Happy Place posted:

The amount of money in a closed system like a video game is extremely easy to control through literally thousands of arbitrary taxes you could add to everything.

Decreasing the amount of money in the system is the first thing they should do, but they never do it, because they are fundamentally bad at game design in a lot of ways that are frankly baffling. Nikita is the George Lucas of game design.

I'd also be fine with this:

Cage Kicker posted:

I hope they gate Flea behind a PvP based quest