Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Malefitz posted:

I decided to pick this game up again after quitting before level 10 when I first started playing last wipe.

After a rough start of endless stupid deaths I have a feeling I'm slowly making progress again. I'm almost level 8 so about the same level I was when I played last time but this time I took more precautions to not end up with only poo poo ammunition with nothing good to buy from the dealers.

I quite enjoy the new woods map! I never played it much last time but now I really like it as it feels less crowded. It brings back a bit of the old DayZ vibe, there is just something to running around in the woods and using power lines for orientation.
Oh and thank god for the new compass, I was running around in circles so much when I tried doing the quest to get it. Now I can actually check if I'm still running in the correct direction.

One thing really annoys me though: I suck so hard at shooting in this game it's not even funny. I had so many encounters with other players where I got the drop on them as I am a very cautious player and they still ended up killing me even though their gear wasn't that much better than mine. But the worst part is, I even suck at fighting scavs. They gently caress me up good with their shotguns and I just can't manage to hit them consistently without eating lots of bullets.
I've played quite a lot of shooter games, also a lot of "realistic" shooter games like Squad or DayZ. I'm not super good in these games but also I'm far from bad.
But there is something to shooting in Tarkov which just makes me miss almost all of my shots and it's frustrating.

I hope I will get better over time, maybe it needs just some getting used to. Maybe I should join the discord and play with other Goons to have a better time...

So there's a few things that make it different. In Tarkov, your PMC basically adjusts for recoil rather than your gun shooting up like in every other "realistic" game you can think of.

It goes something like: bang, drift up, bang, drift, adjusting for rest of burst. If all you're doing is bang bang, wait, bang bang, you'll end up just bouncing around because your PMC isn't able to adjust for recoil before you end your burst. Either single shot or magdump, not in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Roman posted:

New player here. I'm not looking for objective markers to be added or anything, but after only finding an extraction point once by accident, it would be nice if somewhere the game said "you can buy maps from a vendor" instead of me needing to google it (where the first result was someone on reddit asking how to find extraction points and immediately being called a dumbass). Just growing tired of the constant "need a wiki open at all times" design in every single game.

But I am happy the game runs very well so far because I had checked the game out on twitch and a bunch of people seemed to be playing it at like 20 fps for some reason

The ingame maps are basically useless anyway, so there's no point in buying them

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Every single time my buddy and I queue customs we spawn by trailer park. Bugged? That can't be the only duo spawn right?

Nope, just super lucky/unlucky.

The other important thing is map flow. You'll generally spawn on one edge, and your extracts will be on the opposite edge.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

It's happened like 30 times in a row so I can't believe it's luck lol

I've duo spawned multiple times yesterday by railroad

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

https://twitter.com/bstategames/status/1408724752773091328

quote:

From scratch! The UN expressed deep concern at the rapidly growing escalation of confine in the vicinity of Tarkov and called on the participants for a ceasefire. In a joint communique, the G-30 governments invite the warring parties to sit down at the negotiating table and start a clean slate of dialogue. One of the many abandoned shelters in the suburbs of Tarkov.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

hello internet posted:

Supposedly the flow of the game is going to be completely different than it exists now. Hopefully they figure out a way to keep the game interesting if/when wipes are no longer a feature

allegedly the plan is you'll have a seasonal character and a longterm no wipe character

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

quote:

Fence reputation. Being the representation of Scav karma. Now players can lose reputation by killing non-hostile scavs and gain it by helping scavs and scav bosses to kill their enemy. You can also gain Fence reputation by using “a friendly scav” exfil or by using car exfil.

Seems like car extracts are the way to go

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Pikey posted:

Goddamn, jumping back into the game after being in and out during the last wipe. I hate hate hate early customs. It doesn’t help that I’m really not great at PVP and tend to slow play my PVP way too much, but how tight that map is and how it forces early PVP tilts me so much. I just want to get past the early customs quests so I can go back to shoreline and woods nature walk simulator.

TLDR: give me customs tips to not die so much

What part of Customs feels tight to you? If anything customs is way more opened up with the expansion

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Pikey posted:

I do ok when I get spawned in on the extreme of either end. I know the spawns and I can do a cursory check of where to avoid or watch out for trouble to come from. Recently though I've been getting a lot of central spawns which tends to get me pinned with PMCs coming from either end, usually around the chokes you have to pass through in the middle of the map. It also seems like they added more spawns to customs; this morning I spawned in ACROSS the river (dorm side) on the big red half of the map, I don't remember that spawn before

I mean a spawn at smugglers boat isn't much different than spawning at railroad to port, it just means you have to play more aggressively to clear your rear flanks and beat the other side to the crossovers from west to east

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Wrr posted:

Thank you all for the headphone recs! I'll start doing my shopping soon. I'm eyeing one that does not have a built in mic, like the ADX series cause they look great. I have a Blue Yeti for my desktop mic which is fantastic so I'm not worried about that.

Right now I'm just using my SoundPEATS, which is what I use for music and walking around and work purposes (these things are a excellent for being able to put one in and have comms with a coworker as we troubleshoot various parts of a transmission line or something).

If you're using Bluetooth headphones make sure you're using the media profile, not handsfree, since Bluetooth only supports two audio streams, having the microphone enabled on the Bluetooth headphones results in you getting mono audio.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

rap music posted:

:siren: GOONS ONLY :siren:

I'm gonna let you guys in on my secret high yield rat hole on Customs, but we gotta keep it between us. I haven't seen this posted anywhere else and believe me I've looked. When I've killed TTVs, I'll hop on their stream afterwards and they have had zero clue about where they got shot from. I only found it because the 15 pmc shotgun kill quest forced me to, but since that's done I've decided to share.

Levels adjusted so it's a little easier to see. Starting with the long ground level weapon crate, hop onto the tech crate, then on top of the scale, then up onto the shelves. Stand in the corner above the door and people will always waltz right past you, letting you click on their heads at your leisure after they start looting. You're also almost always out of nade range up there, which I know because if you kill one member of a party they will often nade the poo poo out of the room before bursting in to clear it.

Sometimes it takes a while but the room is usually looted by PMCs at some point within the first 20 minutes. Tab out and listen for footsteps.

If you tell your friends it won't take long for the spot to be ruined!

I hit this spot in a scav run, didn't find anyone, so started heading to my extract, instead saw a 3 man running by sniper checkpoint, a fellow player scav was near me, I yelled at him, we pushed the 3 man and got at least one kill and I got a team wendy off him

So while the spot wasn't rat worthy, it pivoted to a chad run lol

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

One of these days I need to bite the bullet and relearn my maps I use on my second monitor with them all oriented compass properly, but man is it gonna suck flipping my mental map of them

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

hello internet posted:

Why do you alt tab when you're about to fight someone

if you're actually unironically asking, it's so they can flip their lag switch on

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

hello internet posted:

Did they disable Nvidia Highlights for 12.12?

Highlights were disabled ages ago

it would write the video clip to your temp folder when you got a kill, so you could use it to confirm kills with zero risk. if the clip of you shooting at a dude appeared in temp folder, then you killed him

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

explosivo posted:

Do scav extracts go away as they get used or do party members just not get the same extracts? I played with my friend in a party and we got to the extract with like 15 seconds to go, I escaped, but he then noticed that extract wasn't available to him and he got hosed because the next extract was far away.

scav parties don't share extracts or anything

just think of it as dropping in the same place, but that's it

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

LTT's WAN Show talked about it, oops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FqH1rqQrQg&t=4557s

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Umbreon posted:

Did you put the wrong link in or something? The first link is a 2-year-old post, I wouldn't exactly count that as recent

that’s the joke, Nikita has the same boilerplate response for years on the topic of cheating

also they claim that they’re banning thousands of cheaters a day, which seems unlikely given that would mean 100,000 dollars worth of accounts daily

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

bro Nikita doesn’t know you exist

plus sanctions and all mean he’s probably not gonna thank you personally anyway

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

NonzeroCircle posted:

I cannot navigate Customs for the life of me, even with the compass

The problem with Customs is that for the longest time, the maps were drawn with train station to the west, UN roadblock to the east, so everyone internalized it as that.

Once they added compass though, it turned out that the maps were backwards, but everyone’s mental map is still based on the old drawings so it’s a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

yeah you don't have to ever give EoD players the game when the game never actually comes out