Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I picked this up because I hate myself and want to experience the trifecta of grog, toxic pvp community and jank.

Jesus Christ does this deliver. It’s going to take me weeks before I can be considered bad at the game. I spent like 15 hours researching/watching guides before dipping in and I was still woefully unprepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah I'm getting the hang of it. I've killed a few people but I've also died a lot. Biggest thing for me is the map, because absolutely no map or compass on top of having to learn all the quirks is a bit much even with a map up on the other screen (yes, I know there's a compass reward later). I've stuck to streets, woods, and factory because I need to get those maps in my head before I branch out. What I did was scav runs on factory and then when the scav is on cooldown go and do a singleplayer practice run on my PMC to learn the map. Meanwhile I've been watching shitloads of youtube and twitch to learn about things that I can.

And then naturally when I do things live on my PMC I get completely discombobulated and run headfirst into the klimov street extraction *twice* and get killed by the zone sniper. Whatever, I'll get more guns.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I believe those numbers from Pestily because he’s been in a subathon since the wipe started and playing anywhere from 14 to 18 hours a day for it. I’ve been watching most of it inbetween my own games and work. If you’re doing 3 raids an hour all day every day and you’ve got 10k viewers most of the time it’s bound to happen a lot more frequently.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That stuff always tickles me because the gear isn't going to really help a bad player. Like I've got no qualms about throwing down cash on shameless F2P grabs if the mood suites me but doing RMT for Tarkov is just comical.

That said, I would probably pay like a dollar at this point for an Awl. I've spent most of my day on Interchange trying to find one. No dice on being able to build a shitter but I have a growing collection of kitted out UMP45s from players.

edit: bitching always works. Found an Awl on my next raid.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 23, 2023

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Did a scav run.

Checked out my starting inventory.

40k rubles and two keys, one which sells for 70k on the flea and another that sells for 550k.

Fastest evacuation ever.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I started up SPT after a friend convinced me it was worthwhile, and holy poo poo is it ever. It's like 85% of my online experience (in that I rarely extract and generally am bad about things) except there's actual loot because there's not any vacuum hacks taking it all. Bunch of tweaks here and there and I don't think I'll be going back to live.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
"hey did that scav just flip me off"

"oh no"

"OH NO MY FACE"

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The default AI for SPT (using the usual suspects for bot mod options) is set to 3 out of 5 for difficulty. You can either just set it higher as a collective whole, or get into the guts and change things about how they react. It's a lot of trial and error though so that's probably why nobody bothers to (I tried, and eventually just set it to 4 with a few tweaks because 5 is basically hacks).

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you manage a pair on ComTac 4s it's basically playing with cheat codes. I looted my first pair in the power station on interchange - while the power was on - and it got so quiet I had to double check that my own IRL headset batteries hadn't died.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The only SPT mods that I added that straight up alter the intent of the game is one that gives me a compass rose at the bottom. Like I'm sorry - it's cloudy out, I don't know the map well enough yet, and every goddamn building looks the same to me. The rest have just been tweaks to the UI like the one that tells me what quests random items are used for, their barter recipes, or what they're used for hideout crafting.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's an SPT-like co-op option.

https://github.com/stayintarkov/StayInTarkov.Client

I have not personally tried it, but it was floated by my friend. Seemed kinda jank even by Tarkov standards.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The rules I set for myself (via SVM and other mods) for my 3.7.6 SPT run was:

5x skill xp gain (because I am not doing the MMO-style grind for things)
No flea market at all
Keys unbreakable
Flea (the vendor) sells about 25% more items overall
A special vendor for the gunsmith prefab guns (set to double the price)
No secure space restrictions
EoD start (because I own EoD) but I made one kit out of it and deleted everything else

edit: oh and no insurance. At all. Both traders set to 0% return.

It was really fun, I made it to a few quests before Kappa before burning out. When Questing Bots updates for SPT 3.8 I'm going to do another run with these rules.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I always try and run a mid-long range, single shot weapon and something for close encounters. Some flavor of SMG/PDW or a 5-7 or something. Even a ppsh.

MP7/9/etc. all absolutely gently caress when you've got to kill someone right now.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You can set a chance for some gigachad PMC with near instant reflexes and godlike aim. Or put in a chance for exfil campers. It ain’t much but it’s honest work.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm not sure if it's paranoia or prudent planning but I'm archiving my 3.7.6 SPT install and getting 3.8 (minus questing bots, ugh) installed and working today. Going after SPT seems more likely than usual now.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Takanago posted:

Got SPT set up the other night. Does anyone have a list of mods they recommend? Or have any tips for customizing things that might be helpful

Bots:
Questing Bots
Looting Bots
SWAG + Donuts
(and all the frameworks they require)
Algorithmic Level Progress

UI:
More checkmarks

Game Overall:
Server Value Modifier

Those are the ones that I would absolutely recommend as a baseline. I personally use a mod that adds a compass rose which may or may not be considered defeating the purpose of the environment, but I also don't know the maps well enough by heart yet.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Arrath posted:

Woods also being the map that may cheekily spawn you facing the map boundary minefield with a skull and crossbones sign dozens of meters to your side rather than in front of you.

My first experience on Woods, my first map on Tarkov ever, was cloudy and at noon-ish. I had no idea where I was, and looking at the map on another screen didn't help me because I didn't know what I was even looking for.

I moved a little and immediately blew myself up with a boundary mine.

The irony is that I used to be in the army, and I used to be a combat engineer. The idea of me failing to get my bearings and wandering into a minefield is supremely funny.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The only thing to note about SPT 3.8 (the most recent version that just came out) is that there's a very important mod, Questing Bots, that is currently not functional yet. The developer is hard at work trying to get it updated and out the door, and it should in theory be out maybe next week. This mod basically gives SPT the life that it needs - it makes bots path to quest objectives and do assorted things (to include sometimes unlocking quest doors). You can absolutely play without it, but it's something you want to keep an eye on and grab when it is fully functional with 3.8.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Everything related to SPT is getting absolutely hammered, when I got my 3.7.6 stuff last month or so it was flawless.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
This whole thing is incredibly amusing to me because extracting dollars via micro transactions is a solved problem. You give people skins, clothing, and name colors and if you do it even remotely right your player base will clap like seals for more.

I’ve spent thousands of dollars on path of exile, and I own EoD despite playing live for maybe 6 weeks. I’m like laser focused on being the target for the unheard of edition and I was so insulted by it I’ll never touch it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The thing that's a shame is that the core mechanics of the game are extremely sound. You're on the map, there's loot to be had, PvE stuff to distract you, and players trying to kill you. Everything is risk/reward. Natural greed will do most of the work for you. You don't need to add an arena mode, you need to add more missions/maps to do with sufficient rewards to encourage it and sometimes put in new guns. The rest of the game plays itself.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The recoil change is one of the things I'm looking forward to when I do my 3.8 SPT run. For 3.7.6 I used a mod that *supposedly* did the same thing but I don't know for sure.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Questing Bots is updated for 3.8 SPT. So that's all the big ones now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My objective in every match is to walk out of there looking like I’m carrying a hobbit’s backpack the size of my person with a frying pan hanging off the side.

If that’s wrong I don’t want to be right.