Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ice Fist posted:

Confirming even getting level 1 of the butt coin farm going is the best.

Yeah, goons will tell you "Max your hideout" and you might be tempted to go "Yeah but I could spend that money on this AK and then spend more of that money to make it pretty!" and you would be wrong. Max your hideout it makes everything about the game easier.

And it's not actually that difficult! I'm terrible at the game and I managed to get a Level 2 Bitcoin Farm in this wipe in under 200 raids.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Stux posted:

one thing to note with rushing tech in interchange as a new player: everyone else does too and most of them know the map and how to kill you. its worthwhile learning some stash runs (interchange, customs and especially shoreline are all really good for this) for a more relaxed pace, and with the multiple buffs to safe loot tables safe runs as well once youre a bit more comfortable with the game. now that hatchet running doesnt exist and FIR is a thing running interchange as a new player is going to be pretty brutal because that map is lethal.

This is where the Discord is so helpful. I just have goons who are actually good at the game take my hand and lead me to riches.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LGD posted:

the one caveat is that you can make big $$$ selling off hideout materials for hugely inflated prices early in the wipe and then upgrade your hideout later for less money, but that pretty much requires you to play heavily in the first couple of weeks and make a dedicated decision to farm money (and of course if you're playing that much its usually not a big thing to upgrade on top of money farming)

Yeah I mean, don't necessarily start stashing Intel 3 stuff on day 1, and if you can ride that initial wave for real inflated prices it'll help down the road but in general every ruble you put into your hideout will pay itself back somehow. Except for the firing range, I never bothered with that until last week and even then it was just so I didn't have the unconstructed icon staring at me every time I opened the Hideout screen.

LGD posted:

the other thing I'd note re: the bitcoin farm is that the first card provides by far the best returns (meaning its more important to get it up and running at all than maxed out in terms of GPUs), and if you're not playing a lot there's no need to put too much emphasis on getting to the level 3 farm because a full level 2 farm already maxes out once a day (taking just over 24 hours to hit 3 bitcoins), while a level 3 farm starts requiring multiple logins per day to leverage

I got it up to 25 cards which yeah, it was nice but even just having the full L1 is sweet sweet free money. L3 farm is a big investment even just in trader rep since it requires Peacekeeper 4 on top of everything else (I didn't even unlock access to him this wipe because I seemingly only ran into BEAR after getting Friend From The West Pt 1.) But at the same time it is cool to know that if I ever really went on tilt I could just not play for a day or two and come back to a million rubles just chilling.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 24, 2020

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

deadseedinside posted:

doing the initial power grind to BTC miner will net you forever income and float you for the rest of the game so you don't have to skulk around the edges of maps just hitting stashes and avoiding the fun parts of the game.

It also really isn't that hard with help! Like I said, I got to a full L2 in 170 raids this wipe, without any of the money from the birthday package, and without all of my effort being pointed directly at that goal at the start (because I thought it was out of reach.) This wasn't my first wipe, to be fair, but it's definitely the first time I really tried to do a lot of this stuff.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Stux posted:

have to consider what new players not being chaperoned are going to come up against and how much there is to take in at first.

There's a link to the Discord in the OP though so nobody reading this thread should be going through unchaperoned.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

3) He's always got a buddy, no matter who "he" is.

The four most important words in Tarkov are There's Always One More.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I was really worried about the FIR changes and they have had an adverse effect on my ability to run certain (non-optimal and probably stupid) gun configs from the get-go, but man it helped me get over my gear fear. Oh this Killa armor I pulled off some chad who happened to lay down in the wrong spot? You bet your rear end I'm gonna loving use it now since I can't sell the drat thing.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 24, 2020

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

house of the dad posted:

The minefield they added to Woods might be the biggest dick move of 2020.

I used to hate Woods but now that they've doubled it in size and added poorly marked minefield boundaries on two sides I still hate it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pathos posted:

Honestly this has been my thought, too. Maybe it’s just not quite big enough to attract attention like PUBG did? I dunno.

I mean, there are other games out there with this kind of low-TTK gunplay/bullet physics stuff but without the loot aspect or character progression, but that requires persistence and the whole economy backend which means a lot more work than went into one-off BR rounds.

But also yeah it's also just not nearly as popular as something like PUBG. PUBG came out in March 2017 and hit it's peak of 3.5 million concurrent players in January 2018. Even though it's old news it still had over 400k concurrent players in November of this year. Tarkov "came out" in June 2017 and only just broke 200k concurrent players for the first time this past May.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 27, 2020

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Adding a bunch of factional NPC enemies seems...like it would quickly become a lot.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LGD posted:

extremely dumb and near-broken quests are core to the tarkov experience, and imo there's still nothing more egregious than loving "Delivery from the past"

Them cutting the hide time for the Factory end of Delivery From The Past is an A++++ QoL move thanks be to Nikita.

(Also just get on Discord and 5-stack that one/all non-PVP Factory quests.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DrPop posted:

I didn't realize they cut factory down to 5 PMCs until I heard Worrun talking about it. Can you still go in with a five-man?

Night Factory is still 6 PMCs max, but yeah you can just lock out the PMC slots during the day with a full team.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I absolutely think scavs should be spawned in when PMCs show up. It doesn't make any sense for the map to be completely empty except for players even beyond the gameplay implications.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The upshot to the (non-Punisher, at least) kill X scavs on Y map missions is that they don't gate anything, so you can just kind of complete them "naturally."

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 5, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Introduction? :v:

I mean its only 5 scavs, but it does gate prapor entirely!

I actually had "and Debut" in there but I took it out because it's only 5. Although this wipe the scav density on Customs seems low as hell which does make even that an annoyance. But it's not nearly as bad as trying to kill 15-25 like the later quests.

EDIT: Also I always forget that Polikhim Hobo gates a quest but depending on how long you're stuck on Skier's flash drive poo poo you may easily hit the 25 kills before it matters.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 5, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Squee posted:

Yeah I joined the discord, I just don't want to get someone killed due to me being bad.

Oh, don't worry, we're all getting ourselves killed due to being bad constantly.

Squee posted:

My current biggest problem is the clusterfuck that is my inventory, good lord.

This will get better...eventually. But also take a look at whatever you have kicking around on the wiki and make sure you're not better off just selling them to a vendor.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Just Chamber posted:

Hilarious if true, lesson learned I guess but who checks the flea fee? Well I guess I do now

Always take a look at the fee, it's an easy way to make sure you didn't miss or add a digit.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I would wait until you either have a bitcoin farm or 3 FIR cards, and use them for whatever comes first. Putting cards into your farm doesn't take off the FIR status so you can just pull em out and turn them in then if needs be.

But also you can build them from Intel 2 so by the time you can build the farm it's all kind of moot, but if you still only have two you can at least get cracking on some coins while you wait for the third to be built (it takes like 37 hours so that's a decent chunk of change.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I highly recommend getting your hideout up and running with at least the Workbench, the most profitable stuff right now is actually stuff you can make at L1 so it's money in your pocket immediately once you hit level 10.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jack B Nimble posted:

What items specifically?

Right now the Powercords into Wires one is easy money. I use this site as a rough guide on what to be building.

This will assumedly change as demand goes down but make hay while the sun shines (and you shouldn't be stopping a workbench level 1 anyway.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bussamove posted:

I got a lab keycard and checking the map on the wiki it looks cramped and terrifying.

You can go in offline without losing the keycard! Definitely recommended because you don't want to learn the map in a real raid.

(Pop quiz hotshot: where is nacho?)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I love when you finally finish a quest that you've been stuck on and you can immediately complete the next 2 or 3 behind it. Like a nice tall glass of cold water on a hot day.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

causticBeet posted:

My dream is they add a full replay viewer post raid - it would be a nice QOL addition so they prob never will, but it would be an amazing tool to be able to no-clip around the raid and see the flow of the raid. It would be wild to be able to see how many times you just barely crossed paths with another PMC, where you got killed from, where what spawned, etc

I've wanted something like this since my first round of PUBG. It wouldn't even need to be an "explorable" replay necessarily, but even something like Tacview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07aK54bpjbg

But showing you PMC and Scav routes/bearings and all that.

It would blow up several spots but I dunno, I still think it would be cool.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
This graphic from the wiki shows all the found-in-raid stuff you need for quests (I think it's up to date as of this wipe from a quick scan.)

This one shows all of the hideout stuff you need, although none of that has to be FIR.

Aside from that, you'd have to ask somebody with flea access to check prices but also you will need to hit specific money spent points with every vendor to level them anyway, so you don't have to worry too much about selling random crap to them at this point unless it's a LEDX or something (which you should be keeping anyway for the hideout/quest stuff.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ShowTime posted:

Then a blue yeti mic, but I have a lot of ambient noise in my room and wanted to cut some of it out.

This is veering wildly off track now but if you have one of the new NVIDIA cards that support RTX Voice, that poo poo is amazing at filtering out background noise, and not just constant stuff like hums or whatever.

But also you should only be keying up when you have a thing to say on Discord anyway so background noise isn't too huge of an issue.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bussamove posted:

Every time I try to buy stuff for a preset it never finds any of it on the flea market, it's very annoying.

By default it only looks for dealer stock, and the filter is usually hidden behind the three-dot expanded options thing:

Make sure that you remove that "Owner type Traders" filter and you should get the whole market.

EDIT: There are some things that just barely show up on the market though, the railed forends for FALs generally have really low availability, and rail sections are rare and/or wildly, massively overpriced if you can't buy straight from the dealer.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 16, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Tarkov is the scav's home, they make the rules!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TheTofuShop posted:

Use the 6b3tm instead of the Uley. Ragman 2, 50k roubles or so

The 6B3TM (aka Goon Smock) also repairs quite well and you can find good deals from Fence a lot.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The butt FIR change is nice because it frees up your secure container for stuff you actually need rather than the one-off ticky-tack little things you gotta hand in.

I was really wary of the FIR changes overall but the end result has been to free me from a lot of gear fear.

EDIT: I guess it helps that I pretty much only play with goons, if I was scrounging for everything solo I would probably hate everything a lot.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 19, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Shrapnel is weird in that I think limbs can clip through walls enough that a grenade inside a building can kill you if you're pressed up against an exterior wall.

I know this from TKing a goon inside a building and also killing a goon outside of said building with one grenade.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I'm getting tired of looking for a ledx and wish I could just craft one

My lukewarm take is that aside from The Collector and maybe some of the Ragman items, you should be able to craft everything you need FIR for quests.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lorem ipsum posted:

Its actually really hard to detect something like that without encrypting the network traffic

I shudder to think about the performance of this game with more network overhead added to it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

sum posted:

Most of the quests in the game would just turn into "earn money" in that case.

Is that necessarily a bad thing though? You earn money by doing raids, it sucks that you have to depend on an RNG smiling on you to complete a quest.

I mean it's kind of circular logic in the end since my argument is kind of "I want to do these raids so I don't have to do those raids" but it's just annoying that you gotta hope poo poo like cowboy hats spawn on mannequins and poo poo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bucnasti posted:

In the before times, you basically traded cash for xp by buying the quest items off the flea market.

Oh, I remember.

And I understand why BSG would look at that as "unengaging" or whatever, but "Run to loot spawn point, hope item is there, leave if not" is also unengaging so they're trading six of one of half a dozen of the other. I guess there's a concern it leads to people not bothering with certain maps, but between actual quest items and also where the good loot is it seems like a non-issue.

The entire quest system is kind of a shitshow given how many require specific keys that you really need to buy off the flea since otherwise you're just rolling dice forever hoping you get the right thing but I dunno how you fix any of that without making everything a per-player instanced quest item.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I can't wait until next week when L1 bitcoin farms will be unprofitable.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
BTC has been dropping lately and is down near 430k as of this morning. I don't think it will actually become unprofitable but unless you have 10+ cards the fuel seriously eats into your profits now.

EDIT: I mean this is just straight whining because BTC is literally free money but still their fix to all of this instead of just manually setting the BTC price is kind of hilariously backwards.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 21, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ShowTime posted:

The outrage on Reddit after about 3,000 people (or more) bought Jaegers fuel at the increased price has made my day. Just post after post about idiots who spammed buy when it was restocked and spent 1.2mil

I am one of those idiots and now this is gonna be me and Nikita

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdF_Vo4B6Ms

They set the price back to near 100k which means somebody just fatfingered an extra 1 in there which is so fuckin' peak BSG :discourse:

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 21, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bussamove posted:

This Jaeger fuel thing is why you don’t just mash numbers together in your UI without any sort if indicator. Also why you triple-check a price.

The big moral is buy everything through the Flea interface and never the Vendor page.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bucnasti posted:

My buddy has been stuck on the Jaegar quest to get two cans of beef. He can’t upgrade his hideout any further because everything requires vent upgrade which requires jaegar rep, and the only quest he has to get that rep requires RNG to shine on him.
That is absolute garbage design, and it’s only getting worse as they add more loot to the game the loot tables get larger and finding specific items gets even harder.

You get access to "The Tarkov Shooter" questline when you complete Gunsmith Part 5 (so, level 17) which gives you an out on the initial quest which loving sucks and I also haven't finished yet for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
There is absolutely no upside to in-game voip and an absolute litany of downsides.