Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've never been anywhere close to good at this game so I keep bouncing off and coming back every so often to give it another go, but I've been having a series of good runs that I actually extracted with gear and managed to finish A goddamn quest finally (find Jaeger's thing) so I'm riding high. This is 100% because I lucked out and didn't encounter any real people on those runs but I can feel myself getting more familiar with Customs which is cool. Do people who are good at this game play fast and loose or are you crawling around at the slowest speed to avoid detection and waiting for someone's head to pop up? I could never tell if I should be running around like a madman and to just get better at acquiring targets and killing them first, or if it wants me to slow down and crouch walk at the lowest speed through bushes and really take my time. Or I guess is it more likely some combination of the two depending on what the situation asks for.

Another question; are people generally told to use a map to find where loot is before learning where everything is? I'm finding it hard to figure out where I should be going when I'm dropped into a game and once I'm looking for loot unless I see big obvious crates I feel like I am missing out on a lot of stuff just lying around.

I really want to like this game I'm just so bad at it :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks! That's all super helpful. I've been enjoying the scav runs for the reasons you mentioned but didn't know about them not aggroing. I remember reading generally scav on scav violence is frowned upon but is there a way to tell at a glance if someone I'm looking at is a scav or a PMC? Also lol about the wiggling, I had one exchange very early on where I looked to my right while taking cover and saw a dude standing beside me who wiggled and I left him alone.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat, thank you, that's all really really good stuff. It also sorta tells me I've been on the right track I just need the familiarity of the levels like the flow thing you mentioned. Like I have no idea what is a honeypot in these levels so I'm probably openly sprinting through killzones and have no idea.

Followup question; are there any tips for inventory management that would be useful to know? I'm already bumping up against the upper limit of my stash space and I think I might need to start selling stuff but don't know what. I'm seeing as a standard edition user that I should probably get rid of anything I can easily buy from a trader like extra mags and cheap guns?

explosivo fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 22, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Had a couple really good (scav) runs today, one of my biggest issues is getting in my own head which I think is why I do better as a scav. I keep finding myself frozen in fear while nervously scanning the area for 10 minutes because I don't want to leave the relative safety of the bush I'm cowering in. I also keep hugging the walls of the map to make it to extraction which I have to imagine is a terrible idea. Definitely having a better time though now that I have a better grasp of what the hell I should be doing.

Edit: oh also I'm second guessing who I'm shooting as a scav all the time now.. I had a guy wiggle at me as I started peppering him with bullets from my uzi and felt real real bad so I ran away :smith:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man I can't wait to lose all those awesome looking guns

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This'll be my first one, what's the difference?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pretty sure everyone's in the same boat (except for the streamers)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I am updating now but it's going at 500 KB/s lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got stuck in the middle of a massive fire fight in customs and wasted my first game in lol. The momentum thing is no joke, moving around feels far more ARMA-ey than it did before if that makes sense. Also I feel like this just plain runs better now but that might have just been the part of the map I was in or something.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I'm kind of with you on that, and knowing there's a system now to track bad scavs i'm extra in my own head about it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played two games tonight with my friend who also just bought this dumb game and it kinda sucks when one person in your squad gets merc'd immediately. I understand this isn't exactly the spectator mode on death kind of game but I had secretly hoped that maybe it was?? I'm not sure my friend was entirely sold on it based on his first two raids lol.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Do scav extracts go away as they get used or do party members just not get the same extracts? I played with my friend in a party and we got to the extract with like 15 seconds to go, I escaped, but he then noticed that extract wasn't available to him and he got hosed because the next extract was far away.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Buff Hardback posted:

scav parties don't share extracts or anything

just think of it as dropping in the same place, but that's it

gently caress, okay lol that explains it then. I was walking my newbie friend through his first scav run but we were pressed for time when we spawned in and basically had to hoof it directly to an exit. I kept referencing the extract name and he just didn't realize so I felt like poo poo when I extracted with seconds left and he was like "Wait what do I do I don't see anything??" and by that point the raid was over.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat holy gently caress those air drops aren't kidding around, one dropped pretty much right in front of me and I couldn't stick around long enough for all the stuff to load in so I panicked and grabbed what I could and ran.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I love all these stories of people meeting up with friendly players but I appreciated as a PMC knowing that pretty much anyone I saw was fair game. Now I'm second guessing who I'm shooting as a PMC as well as when I'm a scav and it's led to my death many times. This is, of course, my dumb fault but I keep hesitating or waiting until I get shot at before engaging which has all but once ended up with me dead :(

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This queue sucks. :(

Edit: Actually it's moving pretty fast.

Edit 2: 20 mins starting at ~35000

explosivo fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 2, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I am the same way but always chalked it up to me being old and also not knowing where the areas are that almost certainly have people camping out at looking for bozos walking through. I'll have to try those postfx filters too.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wrr posted:

I think even just playing the single player mod will get yours moneys worth. Really loving switching between it and active online.

Last I tried this the offline mod required a specific older version that was no longer available, is that still the case now? I could never really figure out how to get it working (I'd get the game to launch but the menu never showed up) so I just kinda gave up on it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Been playing this again after this wipe and generally feeling less anxious about dying and having a better time. That said, I'm still god awful and die more often than not, I'm just not getting that attached to my stuff so it's not a big deal when I inevitably die :shrug:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's more comical than anything at this point because it genuinely feels like every time I take time to kit myself out before going in is when I get capped within the first 5 minutes of a game but when I go in with nothing that's when I make it through a whole raid and have to extract because I didn't bring a big enough bag.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm a very casual player of this game and I have never gotten anywhere close to the level required to unlock the flea market. It's frustrating knowing so much of this game feels like it's basically designed for the streamers who get paid to play for 8 hours a day and the sweatlords who do it voluntarily. I'd probably get farther if I devoted more time to it than I do but it's just a uniquely frustrating game and usually give up until the next wipe after a particularly lovely raid.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SPT is just strictly single player right, like there's no co-op support in there that I could drop in with a friend?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Shuka posted:

Check the previous page in this thread for a link to SPT co-op, maybe 30-40 posts prior to this one.

Ack, sorry bout that, I'll check it out thanks!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I had to refresh the page once after getting cloudflare errors but was able to get all the recommended mods downloaded and configured. I don't seem to have an F12 menu to configure the bots though like people mentioned?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Paingod556 posted:

Think its F6 by default for SAIN. F12 is for the general mod settings (which also lets you set the hotkeys for certain mods) but I don't know why that would break

Oh thanks! I'll give that a try later.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If I want to play this in co-op with a friend using SIT will they need to have all the same mods downloaded or will it grab them if he joins the server that I am hosting?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

hbag posted:

depends on if it's a server mod or a client mod i think. for example SAIN is a server mod

Ah cool. I think I have all server mods right now between SAIN and Questing Bots and all the prerequisites for that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

To clarify would they be dropping those files into the SPT directory not the SIT one? Maybe I screwed up the install but I have SIT\Game\BepInEx and I also have SPT\BepInEx and it wasn't super clear to me why or which one I should be adding the mods to. In the SIT manager the Plugins folder opens the SIT\Game\BepInEx but the Server folder opens the SPT directory.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks, I appreciate it. I might have to do this over again from scratch tbh. I just noticed the SAIN config menu isn't working with F6 (or the F12 menu) so I think I screwed something up or skipped a step or two along the way.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I was able to get co-op SPT and all the mods I wanted working with FIKA (now known as MPT I guess?). Installation felt a lot simpler with this one but maybe the instructions were just easier for me to understand. Haven't actually tried it with a friend yet but was pleased to see the bot config menus with F6 and actually had bots in my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played some SPT/MPT with a friend the other day making it the first time I actually played this game with a friend and we had a blast despite getting owned on our way to extraction. The AI tweaks made in the DONUT mod or whatever it's called are great, it really feels like you're fighting other players. I still think the game kinda sucks to play with friends because if one of us dies then it's either beeline towards extract or the other person has to sit around for 20+ minutes. But we're way more likely to do it now with SPT because it feels approachable in a way it didn't feel before. The Ground Zero map is great too, first time playing that one. It's a nice change from doing Customs over and over again.