Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

kru posted:

Is vector good y/n

Also can anyone afford to fire it yet

https://streamable.com/rsyp2i

(9x19mm version)

This was just using PST Gzh. Right before this I iced two other PMCs in level 4 armor. I think you can remain competitive right now with PST Gzh because the high RPM is going to give you a shot at either totally destroying someone's armor or hitting them all over their body. I think you can tell by the way the PMC and player scav I killed in this reacted that they were also surprised as hell when they got hit, but that's getting shot by pretty much any gun in Tark!

Later in wipe you'll definitely need better ammo to remain competitive against armor level 5 and above. But with a super-low baseline vertical recoil this thing is a laser and a good choice early wipe.

Has anyone else been having a lot of questionable deaths since the wipe? I've had a lot of examples of player scavs (generally) just knowing exactly where I am and hunted me down when I haven't moved or made a sound for several moments. I've been playing this game for four years now and have a pretty high bullshit threshold, but I've had some really suspect encounters just in the few days since wipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Mae posted:

I think it’s mostly that the type of people who grind tarkov instead of doing things with loved ones for the holidays tend to be pretty good at the game

👍

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

New Woods is insane(ly good). It actually feels like a preserve. It also feels like a Vietnam simulator

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Each raid fully waits for every player before starting in order to eliminate late spawns. It’s a bit annoying but late spawns were worse so I’m ok with it.

I'm so happy they made this change. The game is much better for it.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Felt medium bad about this one

https://streamable.com/7yh88j

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The Power of the Glock 18C cannot be denied.

https://streamable.com/x79rf0

(use it for Stirrup)

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Hell yes that's awesome. This guy has a video with a firefight with em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1evNqXfYO8

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Sometimes you do very well at Tark 14 raids in a row, sometimes/always your survive streak is ended by you doing something extremely dumb

https://streamable.com/7058m5

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I think what LGD said is pretty spot on. I basically operate in one of two modes of shooting: single snap shots and full/half mag dump. The way that they oddly punish bursts in this game just makes those two the best. Also, semiauto taps with good ammo can be a lot more effective than dumps with medium or even good ammo. Getting shots on-target is super important.

Another important thing that it sounds like you're aware of, Malefitz, is knowing when to be loud. In solo runs, which I almost exclusively do at night, especially this early in the wipe, I move extremely slowly. I almost never sprint (unless I'm getting shot at). If you even think you might have heard someone by you, crouch, get into cover or concealment, and move slow for a bit--or not at all. Hearing enemies first is a HUGE part of winning fights in this game up-close. I've been able to one-up people simply by surprising them on several occasions, even if they had much better gear than me. Obviously this doesn't always apply in some close-quarters clusterfucks like Factory and the Resort, where a gearlord will probably be able to pinpoint your coordinates using echolocation, but surprise is always helpful.

When I play duos or triples, we also try to never sprint. Playing in a group can make you a bit more reckless than you should be. Keep your leg stamina for when you need it and keep your ears open.

I think that the most important things to be a bit more successful in this game are:

1. Map knowledge
2. Hearing and knowing when to run and when to not
3. Gear and shooting

All get better with time.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Stux posted:

yeah that was more for drpop, once youve got your bearings in the game you need to start not being afraid to sprint

O yeah when the fight starts I'm all over the place and in places where I know I need to sprint, I'm just saying try to avoid doing it all the time when out of combat. Also it can help to approach high traffic areas a bit more quietly

DrPop fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 30, 2020

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I have just learned that the bunkers on Woods are basically sensory deprivation chambers. You can barely hear anything happening outside or around them when you are inside. Was doing a duo just now and thankfully my buddy was keeping watch outside and heard someone come in while I was looting and was able to gank him as he walked full-speed into the entrance. Good to know!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Your time will come, operator.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Stux posted:

does that mean theyve stopped them making noises like youre walking through the bushes on the surface when youre inside them too

I think so. Sample size of ZB-014, but: https://streamable.com/o8fth5

No bush noise when he came down, nor when I was inside.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

You can see this guy reconnect and ask their friend if they're looking at em right before the light leaves their eyes :) https://streamable.com/ggf62y

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

In one of the English-language streams/casts Nikita did with a bunch of streamers a while back, Nikita pretty much distanced himself from saying the game would ever be open world. I think they've pretty much given up on that, thankfully.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Never seen any action inside Paradigm warehouse.

This is the least believable part of this post.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

PMC finds easy way to wipe a three man - Scavs hate him!

https://streamable.com/n0w6tn

Also lol the soviet tanker helm can stop 9x18mm

https://streamable.com/31laes

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I didn't realize they cut factory down to 5 PMCs until I heard Worrun talking about it. Can you still go in with a five-man?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I'm not a huge fan of the SKS early on. Its reload speed is really tough to deal with if you're top loading. I'd use any other semiauto (shotguns included) instead.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Pathos posted:

Just had a scav run on interchange with an sv-98 and as I was making my way out some sweatlord spotted me and chased me down. I stayed hidden away for a good five minutes and started to creep out and he had been going from room to room to find me. I ran away, circled around, and shot him in the chest. This game is so great sometimes.

Thanks for reading my livejournal

:)

Ixtlilton posted:

what gun should someone who's level 3 and has no inventory use, haki?

An SKS is certainly better than nothing! But only marginally better than Knife or Axe

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Stux posted:

also the kedr is available level 1 and all smgs are unironically insanely fun to use and will shred scavs

This is the way

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Woods really, really feels to me like what a Tarkov map should be like. I'm looking forward to Streets.

Put together this short clip to illustrate the "compensating for full auto" mechanics for newer players. This is with a slightly modded AK-104 with a silencer, buttpad'ed standard stock, and no foregrip. I try to compensate a bit for the recoil in the bursts and the full auto as well by moving my mouse down. With this gun, you can really tell how much bursts are penalized by the mechanics.

https://streamable.com/6cx3ow

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Also being able to craft good ammo in the hideout is clutch

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Just getting to the point where I'm doing all the early-mid Shoreline quests (early PKeeper, Punisher, Therapist stuff) and fuuuuuck I forgot how much I hate this map!!!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Encountered an AI scav that did some really neat poo poo last night. Was doing a four man with two new people on Customs. We were looting the med building to the east of the Stronghold. We heard a scav mumble near us and immediately thought it was a player scav, as I've never heard any AI come near the med building. The scav immediately started running toward the Stronghold and got on one of the east-facing .50 cals and lit us up as we came toward the Stronghold, killing one of us. The scav then ran toward us to try to loot the teammate he killed and booked it back to the Stronghold when we started shooting back. We later pushed up and found him staring at the ceiling and killed him.

Was interesting because I'd never seen AI scavs hop on the .50s before. I've seen them weirdly lock on and home in on bodies to loot, but that was pretty extreme.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Can you all help me rule out cheating for my friend's death here?

https://clips.twitch.tv/KitschyDarkPeanutGOWSkull

In case it's not clear, he was right in front of the big green weapons crate in the central enclosed room on the first floor of the Stronghold in Customs. We heard no gunshot, and the impact was straight to head. In a later scav run, we checked out the nearby "new" warehouses that have little poke holes overlooking Stronghold and none of them could see right in to where my friend died.

My other friend (the one whose POV is used in that video) later ran out and got shot in the arm from another mysterious location but was otherwise able to get out ok.

My first thought as to how he died was some weird angle you can see in there from, but I ran all over the area and couldn't figure one out. My only other thoughts are that it was a cheater shooting from under the map or in an otherwise bugged way or a totally insane ricochet. If it was a cheater, I don't understand why he didn't kill my other friend.

For reference, it was M855 to head, by a PMC. Didn't get the PMC's name.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Dr. Clockwork posted:

There is a very narrow angle on middle loot room from the train platform between Fort and New Construction, and that's really the only place your shooter could have been.

Thanks, I'll check that out tonight.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Mesadoram posted:

Every part needs to be found in raid.

Individually.

I'd be down with this if they made the mods required a bit more basic. Right now though I think they're a really good way for new players to learn attachment options when they get some cash and flea market. Also how having a rear sight affects sighting range lol

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

With some guns, not having a rear sight is a bit more penalizing too as it causes your character to hold it in a weird "volleying" kind of shouldering. I know the ADAR is one affected and there's at least one more that I can't recall at the moment. AK-pattern guns without a rear sight will generally get a good sight picture on the front sight at least.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

They've apparently made some major changes to how quickly arm stamina drains when ADSed. Seems pretty drastic - I noticed it draining super quickly last night. They've also made some significant changes to the ergo effects of different mags: https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/kwfzgc/some_changenotes_for_you_as_requested_although_we/

BSG gonna BSG

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

God the initial roll-out of the Mosin was such a great time for this game

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Malefitz posted:

Do I still need to leave the rear/front sight on when I use a red dot or some other optical sight? I guess not but can someone confirm?

No, but some add ergo.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

General Ledger posted:

The container parking area to the south(?) of interchange seems to have way more traffic than I remember from when I last played this game a couple of wipes ago - is this because of the locked container attracting PMCs?

Seems like a good bet, also you have to drop a marker on a van there IIRC for Minibus. That loot room is also pretty dang nice.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

What headphones do people use for listening? Lately if I even step on a twig within 200m of someone they spin around and headshot me. I know there's those earphones in game that are supposed to help but I didn't notice a difference so I'm thinking it's my actual headphones because I can't hear at anything close to the range other people seem to.

I like the Sordin and Razor headsets.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

IFAKs now heal heavy bleeds for 210 use points.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Ambaire posted:

I heard that the flea market got changed to find in raid tagged only, and I have a couple questions about that:

(1) Can stuff bought from vendors still be sold on the flea?
(2) Can stuff bought from the flea be relisted?

I'm assuming the answer to both of these is "No", but confirmation would be nice.

Oh, and (3) Do Hideout crafted items get the FiR tag and can be sold on the flea?

I'm so happy you're back

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Grenades are absolute chaos agents and defy the laws of physics. Bring in 10 each raid.

edit: or more if youre playing with a team

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

sum posted:

Wow it turns out adding the military-designed weapons literally designed to be effective against armored personnel at short/short-intermediate ranges has broken the meta of our game where 90% of fights happen at 50 meters or less. Who would have guessed.

The Vector is a ridiculous boondoggle IRL and the 45 ACP one I shot in full auto was almost uncontrollable. Didn't shoot the 9

But this still applies to the MP7 and P90 for sure!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Stux posted:

pushing is v powerful always push

https://i.imgur.com/Oftn9bQ.mp4

I really need to get more confident at pushing. Even though I've done pretty well this wipe, the Fear still takes over. I just need to embrace the push and peek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Should we revisit how important silencers are now that we're a bit into the wipe and lots of people have regular access to them now? They make your muzzle report completely silent to anyone beyond something arbitrary like 100 meters. Other than Factory, I run a can on every gun I bring in as a PMC now.

With some of the recent muzzle device changes, they've certainly made some non-silencer compensators a lot more appealing with how much more they reduce recoil over the cans (and with their less severe ergo penalties). Might try using some of them, but being silenced just seems like such a critical advantage it's hard to ditch suppressors.