Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamn, that is a BEAUTIFUL car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:f5:

This will be awesome. Though it appears some arse has already modernized the 70s audio.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The first thing I think of when I see a clean old Lexus on the road is "either this person bought it new and still drives it, because they run forfuckingever, or they were insanely smart and bought it after it depreciated enough to be affordable yet still insanely reliable".

FWIW, my dad - who pulls in about 200k a year working part time (he's semi-retired) - used to drive Lexus, Acura, Infinity, etc - even a few Thunderbirds (80s models), had a couple of Stations/Conquests, etc. He's always liked the nicer sport/luxury segment, then went "reliable boringness" (his Infiniti was a G35 coupe tho). Never got into the German stuff, he's been strictly Japanese variants aside from random Fords (before AND after the Fords, he was DSM - most of them turbo w/3 pedals - though one Ford was technically a Mazda [89 Ford Probe V6 auto]). His last car was an EX-L V6 Accord, his current one is a loaded Camry (but with the 4 cyl?). He bitches a little about the power off the line, but loves the mileage. 200k a year means many different things depending where you live - he's in my hometown, which is a relatively low income border town - he's very much in the 5% club there (200k in Silicon Valley wouldn't be poo poo, he might be able to afford a studio apartment if he kept up with his current retirement and savings contributions...). When I did the jaw drop upon seeing the Camry, he looked hurt - I told him I was impressed he'd picked up a Camry and congratulated him on his low lease payments. They're boring, but they're reliable as hell, they're nice cars, and since he usually does a 3 year lowish mileage lease, the residual is so high that the payments are just stupid low. I eventually pried out his lease payment.. it's ~$200/mo and includes all oil changes (it probably helps that he's friends with the owner of several dealers in town, so he immediately gets the lowest out the door price with 3 years of maintenance included).

He couldn't tell you the difference between a screwdriver or a gallon of oil (seriously, my stepmom hides tools from him... I get a yearly "honey do" list when I visit), and went over 30k without an oil change on the Probe (it was smoking pretty bad and starting to tell knock knock jokes when he got rid of it <60k - also failed smog hilariously badly). He just used to like sporty, then sporty + luxury, now just "can I get a heat pack on my back on the way to the tennis club by flipping a switch, and while we're at it, can we fly past everyone doing 45 in a 60 without thinking about it?".

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 29, 2020