Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like DC has a whole thing explaining only some super heroes have true super strength and a majority have tactile energy manipulation powers and that that goes with speed force for "actually if you point out why the power wouldn't work like that you just don't know the deep lore of it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I assume it's like how Diana is immune to electricity because she's Zeus's daughter, but they respect the audience enough not to give you in-movie exposition about it and trust you'll figure that out. The first movie tells us Wonder Woman is an animated statue and, simply enough, in WW84 you can see that she temporarily turns the kids into dummies for the bit where she uses them to break her fall.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Were there this many complaints about the lack of physical realism in Shazam?

I mean there's always a few weirdos but in my memory that film wasn't scrutinized in this manner to such an extent. Strange

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Are those rockets usually heavy enough and fired with enough force that one could drag a human behind it for several meters without changing course? That seems even more far fatched than Diana's impact

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like DC has a whole thing explaining only some super heroes have true super strength and a majority have tactile energy manipulation powers and that that goes with speed force for "actually if you point out why the power wouldn't work like that you just don't know the deep lore of it"

Marvel does it from time to time too, mostly in the context of mutant powers (Cyclops actually has portals to an alternate dimension where his eyes would be! And Ice Man is actually insanely powerful, he's just lazy and uncreative so he makes snow balls a lot), although other heroes occasionally get in on the fun (I think I've read all his appearances and I'm not entirely sure what's going on with The Sentry, but that's probably be design). The underlying issue is that Marvel's heroes generally don't top out at "functionally omnipotent," and where they do get that powerful, collateral damage is part of the design.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Blood Boils posted:

I mean there's always a few weirdos but in my memory that film wasn't scrutinized in this manner to such an extent. Strange

It's not that strange, people liked SHAZAM.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Hobo Clown posted:

Are those rockets usually heavy enough and fired with enough force that one could drag a human behind it for several meters without changing course? That seems even more far fatched than Diana's impact
It's a super hero movie, so when something is unrealistic but explained away with SUPER POWERS or MAGIC, even if it's dumb I usually find it acceptable. Using a magic lasso and super powers to water ski through the air behind a rocket? Dumb yes, but sure, whatever, she's Wonder Woman! But tackling 2 children at rocket speed on asphalt and no one has a scratch... that's just a bridge too far. At least use the accepted super hero trope of grabbing the kids by the clothes and yanking them along, or let go of the rocket and lasso the kids and then using your super hero body to cushion the fall. :cripes:

Blood Boils posted:

I'm aware there is a lot of misogynistic vitriol online surrounding Ghostbusters remake, Rey Palpatine, Captain marvel, WW etc. But It's not like I'm some DC fanboy who left gushing reviews for the other DCU films and then let his latent misogyny boil to the surface in his WW84 critique. This is the first DCU movie I've seen, because I've been avoiding the DCU because they all look really bad! I'm sure I'd have just as many criticisms of the DCU films featuring male super heroes as WW84, that is, if I was actually forced into watching them.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think it's because the first WW movie was so much better compared to WW84.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Blood Boils posted:

Physical realism isn’t the problem, it’s that it all just looks like poo poo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

action scenes not being realistic is fine. it's just that the movie's not doing a good job at selling the audience on the fantasy of its action.
While I poo poo on Snyder a lot for various reason, his movies are actually pretty good at this. The Superman vs Zodd fight isn't even remotely realistic or even trying to be. It's warped and exaggerated to create a larger-than-life sense of speed and impact. You never think "wow Superman just fell off a building shouldn't he be, like, super dead" because the movie's spectacle has thoroughly sold you on the idea that Henry Cavill can dish out a punch strong enough to shatter the sound barrier and take one just as easily.

Wonder Woman slamming into two kids is not that. It'd be one thing if she just swooped down and grabbed them but she catches them and then slams to the ground really really hard while they're in her arms.
not just :goonsay:"well realistically that would be a really sudden and harsh stop," no, the movie has her slam to the ground loudly and then roll a few times with two small children in her arms. "Children are fragile" is a very basic truth that every single person watching this movie is going to know instinctually. so it causes a bit of confusion to a viewer when they just walk away unscathed from a really heavy impact.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Augus posted:

Wonder Woman slamming into two kids is not that. It'd be one thing if she just swooped down and grabbed them but she catches them and then slams to the ground really really hard while they're in her arms.
not just :goonsay:"well realistically that would be a really sudden and harsh stop," no, the movie has her slam to the ground loudly and then roll a few times with two small children in her arms. "Children are fragile" is a very basic truth that every single person watching this movie is going to know instinctually. so it causes a bit of confusion to a viewer when they just walk away unscathed from a really heavy impact.
It’s also really obvious that they’re dolls when she hits the ground.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Also to save the children who are in danger because they are playing in the road, she grabs them and … holds them down in the middle of the road right in front of the oncoming vehicles.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

th3t00t posted:

But It's not like I'm some DC fanboy who left gushing reviews for the other DCU films and then let his latent misogyny boil to the surface in his WW84 critique. This is the first DCU movie I've seen, because I've been avoiding the DCU because they all look really bad! I'm sure I'd have just as many criticisms of the DCU films featuring male super heroes as WW84, that is, if I was actually forced into watching them.

This is your first DC movie?!

DUDE

Watch swamp thing

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Blood Boils posted:

This is your first DC movie?!

DUDE

Watch swamp thing

Swamp Thing is not a DCU movie in the way WW84 is, but nevertheless this is solid advice.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Splint Chesthair posted:

Swamp Thing is not a DCU movie in the way WW84 is, but nevertheless this is solid advice.

It's canon :colbert:

Constantine too!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Mr. Apollo posted:

Eh WW1 is boring and kinda hosed up

WW84 was a fun mess

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Mr. Apollo posted:

:agreed:

The first WW movie was flawed and the liberal white feminism was there, but I could ignore it. WW84 had worst action scenes, a worst plot, and just bad pacing. At the end of movie, I actually felt kinda demoralized lol. Jenkins had a great opportunity to at least try to meaningfully explore the 80's, female friendship, and (if the WB weren't cowards) queerness. And... she didn't! Just a weird, boring movie that had nothing to say except a woman is only empowered if she's white, conventionally pretty, well-off, and cishet.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

All I can remember from the first movie is the excessively awkward campfire scene where all the characters explain themselves.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Equeen posted:

:agreed:

The first WW movie was flawed and the liberal white feminism was there, but I could ignore it. WW84 had worst action scenes, a worst plot, and just bad pacing. At the end of movie, I actually felt kinda demoralized lol. Jenkins had a great opportunity to at least try to meaningfully explore the 80's, female friendship, and (if the WB weren't cowards) queerness. And... she didn't! Just a weird, boring movie that had nothing to say except a woman is only empowered if she's white, conventionally pretty, well-off, and cishet.

The first Wonder Woman was just kind of bland like an MCU origin film with moderately better action scenes, in contrast Wonder Woman 84 was a shining diamond of inexplicable stupidity, I honestly enjoyed it alot more just for being such a weird and baffling experience. How did this get past however many studio commitees and test audiences these things go through?? Why did anyone think any of the plot elements in the film were a good idea? Why does the action choreography look worse than an 80s sequel film?!? It's like a perfect case of how being extravagently bad is in many ways better than being blandly mediocre

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"Blandly mediocre" is straight up historical revisionism of the first movie, lol. Especially in comparison to this one, which made a fight between a demigod in golden eagle armor and a literal catwoman listless and muddled.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

McSpanky posted:

"Blandly mediocre" is straight up historical revisionism of the first movie, lol. Especially in comparison to this one, which made a fight between a demigod in golden eagle armor and a literal catwoman listless and muddled.

I said it had nice fight scene, but it was a pretty paint by numbers superhero origin story film with Gal Gadot as a lead

Sector Corrector
Nov 25, 2020

McSpanky posted:

This is a great point. Especially considering the toxic cisheat bro stuff I've been seeing about this movie. One question, do you think there are any similarities between this and Dr. Mabuse The Gambler Part 1? I can see a lot in terms of the plot synopses, but I'm looking for that goon opinion before I jump in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wonder Woman had restraint in comparison to Marvel movies, there's absolutely no way they'd be as subtle about No Man's Land as the movie was.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

McSpanky posted:

Did you fall asleep for the last 10 minutes of that movie? It's a paint-by-numbers CGI fight.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

No, and that "paint by numbers" fight still has thematic significance and a payoff that isn't a slap in the face to the entire disadvantaged world.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do like that Ares literally uses tank treads as a weapon- that any weapon of war is a weapon of his. It's understated compared to what it could be, but I remember the final fight being fun enough. Also did like that Steve Trevor is "If that is who I think it is..." that all along, while he's never believed that Ares was behind the whole thing, he's not unwilling to believe that he's involved, which makes sense when you're recruiting a demigod to consider your enemy may have countermeasures.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

McSpanky posted:

No, and that "paint by numbers" fight still has thematic significance and a payoff that isn't a slap in the face to the entire disadvantaged world.

The payoff to Wonder Woman 2017 is you shouldn't seek peace or even value it, because the guy who says he wants it is actually a devious manipulator who must be destroyed with a big laser blast.

Consider the possibility that both movies are bad.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
That seems a rather uncharitable reading of WW1. Was it not the case that both sides were willing to accept the armistice until Ares provided the supervillain of Germany the means with which to reject it for total victory?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Prince Myshkin posted:

The payoff to Wonder Woman 2017 is you shouldn't seek peace or even value it, because the guy who says he wants it is actually a devious manipulator who must be destroyed with a big laser blast.

do you know what World War I was actually fought over

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

KVeezy3 posted:

That seems a rather uncharitable reading of WW1. Was it not the case that both sides were willing to accept the armistice until Ares provided the supervillain of Germany the means with which to reject it for total victory?

The whole point is also that the armistice in question is implied to be the leadup to the Treaty of Versailles, which pretty much guaranteed WW2 down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

WW84 is one half about how capitalist accumulation and military expansion is destroying the world

but all of gal gadots stuff is about the director coming to terms with her dads death and having him and wonderwoman tell her to let him go, then at the end admitting to the audience that she still cant