Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Yea, turns out Wiig isn’t too bad when she’s not in comedy mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I thought it was fine. I won’t watch it again ever but I don’t feel like I totally wasted my time.

It feels like there was an actual good movie in there but someone at the studio told them “men wouldn’t like it” so they made it worse.

The entire thing feels like a struggle between what Patty Jenkins wanted to do and what she was told to do.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blue Raider posted:

Several, but one involving an airport is so extra and nonsensical that I can’t imagine even writing it in a script first draft much less filming it.

mcmagic posted:

I hate her gold suit at the end. It looks like it's from that awful Gods of Egypt movie.

Both of these should have been ironed out in the script before filming. Especially the gold armor, which is explained in the same scene as it shows up and has no real relevance to anything. They could have changed the backstory to be like "Oh yea the gold armor resists lies or whatever." Or just cut it entirely.

Blue Raider posted:

Another pleasant surprise: Cheetah looked alright. I was expecting a Cats level terror but it was fine.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So is this now going to swing the WB the other way where leaving the movie to a creator is somehow bad? What would the consequence be if this is not well received?

I’m almost more curious about the studio overreaction

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Blue Raider posted:

She was great in Welcome to Me awhile back. The Skeleton Twins is solid too.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

teagone posted:

Yeah, this movie does a lot of weird things lol.

For me, the moment it went from "Yay, that guy getting what he deserves" to "She's gone too far" is when after she has tossed him around and implies she's going to kill/cripple him, and is interrupted by her hobo pal

Like, in the mall scene Diana had to deal with a guy taking a kid hostage and threatening to drop her, and even then didn't beat him to an inch of his life

I agree that Barbara should have been more gay/lesbian for Diana, maybe show that their relationship has been longer than just a couple of days.

Action scenes could've been more actiony, kingdom come gold armor needed more weight than just a couple minutes explanation.

I saw it at a movie theather in a region of the world when risk index of covid was super low, an even then there were only like 5 people in all, but seeing it in the big screen was nice.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Kal-L posted:

kingdom come gold armor needed more weight than just a couple minutes explanation.

The armor of Asteria had no real significant payoff and really felt unearned on Diana's part. It just being tucked away in the corner of her war room was pretty lol.

[edit] If WW84 opened with an extended flashback of Asteria sacrificing herself to save the Amazons before going into the Amazon Ninja Warrior sequence, that would have been cool. But as presented in the film, the inclusion of the armor feels really half-assed.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 25, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What a supremely weird movie.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Digital Jedi posted:

Does her lasso have like magnets attached to it so it always coils up to her side after each use? It annoyed me way more than it should but I just couldn't stop noticing it.

It's literally magic.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Same with her flying, the issue is the hair. The hair is just lightly blown by I’m assuming a lovely ikea fan while literally being dragged by a plane she latched herself to then flying on her own. At the speeds she’s running and flying/freefalling that hair would need to be doing all sorts of things to reflect the wind she’d be going against.

Well they had to cut costs somewhere, and Ikea is pretty cheap! Also the hair in question grows from the head of a demigod; same reason her skin doesn't ripple or her clothes aren't torn off.

Plus it's some sort of fictional performance art obviously unconcerned with realism

teagone posted:

Yeah, this movie does a lot of weird things lol.

The weirdness is a good sign, to me at least.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I like weird movies. But the weird things WW84 does aren't rooted in "being different" to push genre boundaries. It's weird in that it makes hella questionable choices that work against the film for me—like the choices made in scoring significant scenes I mentioned in my first impressions post.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Wow this movie was really loving boring and bad.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
That seems like the worst criticism for a superhero movie. Boring.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah weird movies can be fun. WW84 was “weird” in that you’re left wondering why they made certain decisions.

I was skimming the the movie again and one thing that made me roll my eyes is that Steve is confused by an escalator but has no problem starting up and flying a jet plane. I don’t think it would have been an issue if they weren’t constantly showing how confused he was by the modern world.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Gal Gadot is a really bad actress and this film is a bloated mess.

Wiig's plot is actually more interesting and has some decent character moments but it gets lost in the milleu of whatever Maxwell Lord is doing.

Theres like 3 separate movies that want to be told here but instead you get a nearly 3 hour long mess that is only small threads of each narrative theme that are unsatisfying.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Didn't see this thread until I already posted in BSS. Oh well here are my thoughts:

Having the first non-white characters wishes be ethnic cleansing and nuclear weapons was certaintly a choice. Admittedly they later have the Soviets/US leaders launch nukes but the film gives the context of that being result of the increasingly crazy situation in the middle east/world. In theory having stuff like the Irish deportation scene could of made it more palatable, but it still left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Also I can't believe we're still doing 'slap glasses on an objectively attractive actress and make the character a clutz = nerd' in the year 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I couldn't help but cringe at them showing Gal Gadot, literally an Israeli soldier, saving some little Arab kids.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’ve started it and I like the Themyscera set and the games and also I kinda just want to watch Kristen Wiig and Gal Gadot do a romance adventure movie in exotic locations like some Bollywood film

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

coolusername posted:

Oh, while I'm at it -- I can only assume the Barbara scene where for some reason, her kicking the rear end of a catcaller who tried to sexually assault her in a park, then tried to grab her AGAIN on the street when she confronted him verbally and say he'd pick up where they left off before (aka did not learn his lesson from the first time and is still attacking women on the street), is framed as part of her growing villainy and loss of humanity/kindness was written by a man. Because that is 101 female power fantasy revenge narrative and instead the story seems to be trying to get the audience to go "Oh no, she's turned bad! She's going too far!" when basically any male hero like Batman does far worse to thugs doing less evil crimes while the audience is meant to cheer. I don't think I've met many ladies who would react to that scene with "oh no, but the serial abuser is bleeding pitifully and sad music is playing" rather than "kick him in the dick again!"

Isn't this basically what Clark does in Superman 2?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Hey guys this movie is real bad.

I feel like the best way to fix this movie would be to take Wonder Woman out of it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Watching the desert action scene...it’s bad

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gatts posted:

Big Marvel Television energy from the movie.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

My initial reaction was a big Huh but the more I think about it it's just a mess of a script, and I have no idea how they spent 200 million dollars on this.

There are scenes and ideas I like throughout the movie, but all together it's just weird.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 26, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
A loving SHITLOAD of people are going to watch this and they are 100% going to make another one even though it's bad.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Big Marvel Television energy from the movie.

Yuup. The action direction was not great. Some bits in the White House fight were ok, and the Amazon Ninja Warrior opener. But otherwise the action is all very :geno:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

teagone posted:

Yuup. The action direction was not great. Some bits in the White House fight were ok, and the Amazon Ninja Warrior opener. But otherwise the action is all very :geno:

Wonder Woman gets hit so hard in the white house that a foam marble pillar falls over.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

sportsgenius86 posted:

It feels like there was an actual good movie in there but someone at the studio told them “men wouldn’t like it” so they made it worse.

This is the best review of the film.

I'm really glad I saw this on a free trial of HBO Max. I didn't actively dislike it, but I would have been much less forgiving had I spent money on it.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Wonder Woman gets hit so hard in the white house that a foam marble pillar falls over.

Hahaha I loved watching this poo poo rear end movie streaming because I explicitly went back and watched that marble pillar a few times.

Strong underworld vibes of the foam bricks.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I liked the ridiculousness of Wonder Woman catching a single bullet with her whip.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

'Ill have to tell you about how Radar works' then turns the plane invisible which isn't how to counter how Radar works.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

jivjov posted:

This is the best review of the film.

I'm really glad I saw this on a free trial of HBO Max. I didn't actively dislike it, but I would have been much less forgiving had I spent money on it.

The good news is the original Wonder Woman show is on Max so we can watch that to fill out our trials.

I seriously thought were going to get edgy Max Lord comic death when I saw Snyder in the opening credits.

I felt like this movie would have worked better without escalating to world ending event and kept the film more grounded.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

The opening mall heist sets such a comedic goofy tone that the movie rarely follows through with like the bullet catch.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
At the climax and it feels decidedly not good.

It’s a good thing Pedro Pascal has Mandalorian.

Kristen Wiig as a CG Cheetah is pretty good though

Gatts fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 26, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hizawk posted:

'Ill have to tell you about how Radar works' then turns the plane invisible which isn't how to counter how Radar works.

I mean, to be fair, poo poo is magic. Makes it easier to look past something like that. You should be more averse to Diana generating stealth tech from her hands I guess as opposed to TACTICAL REALISM.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 26, 2020

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Early on (well, two hours in), the Mayans are revealed to have lost their civilization when they were unwilling to give up their wishes. Meanwhile everyone on Earth is willing to give up THEIR wishes, including the president of the US giving up nuclear capability during an active nuclear enchange and also lots of little kids wishing their parents didn't beat them.

gently caress the Mayans, I guess?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I have no idea what I just watched. I thought the original Wonder Woman was the best DC movie I'd seen by a mile (until Shazam! that is), but more good than great. This movie is a straight-up mess by comparison.

Just on the most basic following-the-plot level, I don't understand why Max Lord was able to take whatever he wanted after granting someone's wish. Did he say "I wish I was the dreamstone but in addition to that I also want to be able to charge people if they use my dreamstone-like abilities" or something? I guess I must've missed it.

I'm not even sure what to point to in particular that could be changed to improve it. I think the main thing I would do is just totally cut out the Max Lord stuff and have it be Wonder Woman vs. Barbara straight-up. Pedro Pascal playing an '80s-era Trump knockoff was entertaining for a few minutes, I guess, but overall that whole plotline felt so unnecessary and just boring. I also feel like Gal Gadot's acting has gotten substantially worse?

Things I liked about the movie:

- Kristen Wiig giving strong Uma-Thurman-in-Batman vibes early on.
- Also her villain jacket.
- Chris Pine is funny a couple of times.
- The goofy CG when Wonder Woman swings through the air with her lasso to pick up the kids playing soccer in the road; it looked like she was a magnet pulling them toward her during that shot.
- Asteria being Lynda Carter.

This also makes me worried about how Rogue Squadron's gonna turn out. I can imagine that the script had interference or something and got turned into a pile of nonsense outsider of the director's control, but the action sequences in this movie were just so painfully dull.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah that was odd. I figured they weren't going to go full comics with Diana snapping Max's neck but I thought her plea was only meant to get some/most of the wishes renounced in order to give her an opening to incapacitate him then deal with the reamaining wishes. A full global "yeah i give my poo poo back" is an awfully optimistic view of the world in the 80s.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When I had heard that Maxwell Lord was in this, I 100% believed that Wonder Woman was gonna snap his neck. But once they introduced a son, I knew it wasn't going to happen.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Detective No. 27 posted:

When I had heard that Maxwell Lord was in this, I 100% believed that Wonder Woman was gonna snap his neck. But once they introduced a son, I knew it wasn't going to happen.

The end with ”surprise! You’re on live TV” is totally supposed to be a reference, right?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Gatts posted:

https://twitter.com/esthermirirose/status/1342606234227253250?s=19

This looks bad and goofy as hell, if the whole movie is like this then it makes sense why they offloaded it on streaming - otherwise they'd have nothing to blame but themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mat Cauthon posted:

https://twitter.com/esthermirirose/status/1342606234227253250?s=19

This looks bad and goofy as hell, if the whole movie is like this then it makes sense why they offloaded it on streaming - otherwise they'd have nothing to blame but themselves.

I didn’t notice after she lands the kids end up rolling along the pavement under her.