Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mr. Apollo posted:

When the title was announced and they had the teaser image of Diana looking at a bank of TV screens, I thought it was going to be about her fighting some government mass surveillance program.

If you think about it, the film ends with Diana using a worldwide broadcast to brainwash everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, the final message seems to be that Big Brother is cool? Max Lord finally wins the war over himself at the end.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
This film sucks but maybe more to the point it's just incoherent in some fundamental way that makes my brain hurt. Like I can't even parse what they were even trying to do here to be honest. It's like less thought was put into it by the people who made it than, I dunno, that Stallone movie about an arm wrestler?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

sean10mm posted:

This film sucks but maybe more to the point it's just incoherent in some fundamental way that makes my brain hurt. Like I can't even parse what they were even trying to do here to be honest. It's like less thought was put into it by the people who made it than, I dunno, that Stallone movie about an arm wrestler?

Over the Top. Where Stallone is somehow arm wrestling for custody of his son? It's been a long time, I don't remember the specifics.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was just watching WW and during the final battle with Ares, Diana tries to use her lasso on him but there's all this wind that's preventing the lasso from reaching him.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/cI1UVjC.gifv

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lol. I love the movie, but this looks hilariously goofy out of context.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Hot Take: I liked the mall action. It's goofy and schmaltzy like (stealing this from Jay Bauman) the Raimi Spider-Man movies, which is just fun in a corny way. No, it doesnt align with the first WW movie or her trying-too-hard depictions as a badass throughout comics/animation, so what. In my opinion it's the rest of the movie that lets that tone down.

I admittedly saw the film not expecting to like it because I heavily dislike Gadot (both as a person and an actor), and I didn't like it! But the mall action was fun.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Neurolimal posted:

Hot Take: I liked the mall action. It's goofy and schmaltzy like (stealing this from Jay Bauman) the Raimi Spider-Man movies, which is just fun in a corny way. No, it doesnt align with the first WW movie or her trying-too-hard depictions as a badass throughout comics/animation, so what. In my opinion it's the rest of the movie that lets that tone down.

I admittedly saw the film not expecting to like it because I heavily dislike Gadot (both as a person and an actor), and I didn't like it! But the mall action was fun.

I don’t really care about the tonal shift, I just think it’s poorly choreographed and directed. It doesn’t have any of the kinetic energy Raimi’s Spider-Man action scenes.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Rough, the glowing lasso doesn’t even cast light on him

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

thrawn527 posted:

Over the Top. Where Stallone is somehow arm wrestling for custody of his son? It's been a long time, I don't remember the specifics.

Over the Top has a special place in my heart. When I told my friends I was gay they all freaked out (it was the mid 90s). Then, a few weeks later, they invited me over to watch Over the Top which they had rented just for me.

It wasn't an easy ride but in a lot of ways I was very lucky.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If you think about it, the film ends with Diana using a worldwide broadcast to brainwash everyone.

It’s called WW 1984 cause she’s on everyone’s telescreen and no one can turn it off.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah, I would have liked it if the rest of the movie had kept that silly tone. I was like, "Alright, we're gonna be super silly and cheezy, I can get behind that." But then the rest of the movie was slow and serious, so that mall scene sticks out as weird and off.

VinylonUnderground posted:

Over the Top has a special place in my heart. When I told my friends I was gay they all freaked out (it was the mid 90s). Then, a few weeks later, they invited me over to watch Over the Top which they had rented just for me.

It wasn't an easy ride but in a lot of ways I was very lucky.

Right on. That's awesome. :hfive:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah I didn't have an issue with the mall scene, its just that it stands apart from everything else, and it's already weird because it's like the second intro to the movie (I laughed when I saw Jenkins saying that the studio asked her to cut one of the openings and she refused. Not all studio notes are bad Patty).

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Also, the mall scene is the first time you’ve seen Wonder Woman since she stormed a trench and murdered a Roman god so it’s weird to see her playing Rocketball in a mall somewhere.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I couldn’t figure out where all the wind was coming from until I remembered that every time someone wishes there’s this little whoosh and you see a couple of hairs blow around.

At the end it’s the cumulative effect of 4 billion simultaneous wishes creating a tornado in the room.

Lol what a terrible, dumb movie.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Also, the mall scene is the first time you’ve seen Wonder Woman since she stormed a trench and murdered a Roman god so it’s weird to see her playing Rocketball in a mall somewhere.

Eh, I actually liked that. WW1 was a serious and lovely time, it kind of makes sense that she'd be saving kids in malls 70 years later trying to get away from that. The problem is that nothing coherent came out of that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/cevangelista413/status/1344055976824107009?s=19

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Not enough credit is given to what a clown show that heist escape scene is. The police immediately seem to peg there's been a robbery despite the store clerk's silence, then the entire mall loses its mind because the guy drops a gun for no reason and then it escalates to a guy attempting drop a child of a ledge for the best part of a minute to avoid going back to prison(?), none of the actions seem to follow from the preceding events and barely make sense on their own terms. So in a way it does a pretty good job of establishing the tone of the movie I guess?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What was up with them wearing golf pants

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Shageletic posted:

What was up with them wearing golf pants

It's sooooooooooooo 80s!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It's crazy that the bumbling mall thieves get a worse punishment than the villain of the movie. There was no reason to throw them through a cop car to almost certain death.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

It's crazy that the bumbling mall thieves get a worse punishment than the villain of the movie. There was no reason to throw them through a cop car to almost certain death.

Reminds me of arguments over BVS, and how Batman manages to have a change in heart at the right moment to not murder the ultrarich idiot boy.

I can humor arguments about that being intentional (Batman being less willing to mete out punishment against his fellow class) though, here I'm pretty confident it's just lib nonsense.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Neurolimal posted:

Reminds me of arguments over BVS, and how Batman manages to have a change in heart at the right moment to not murder the ultrarich idiot boy.

I can humor arguments about that being intentional (Batman being less willing to mete out punishment against his fellow class) though, here I'm pretty confident it's just lib nonsense.

That movie has so many idiotic character turns I can guarantee that it wasn’t the intent.

The Bat of Gotham lets him live because he’s a big baddie that’s meant to be used in future movies. Or not. Oops.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BigglesSWE posted:

That movie has so many idiotic character turns I can guarantee that it wasn’t the intent.

The Bat of Gotham lets him live because he’s a big baddie that’s meant to be used in future movies. Or not. Oops.

So you just like, didn’t want the movie or something?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, we're talking about the same filmmaker who infamously added in the scene of Superman, ultimate dad figure, making the purposeful decision to kill the supervillain in the previous film.

Snyder's Batman is willing to use lethal force in his war on crime and knows, unlike previous "No Kill Rule" incarnations, that people will die from it. But he makes it a point to only do so if they're doing the same to him or hostages. He tortures but doesn't kill the chained up women trafficker, and this is what Alfred remarks is Batman's escalation of violence.

This doesn't make it right obviously, but that's how Batman (And U.S. police officers) justifies it. And he doesn't stop killing after the Martha scene - as shown in his assault on the warehouse.

Superman is the first person Batman tries to murder, and even then he goes out of his way to make it a weirdly intimate confrontation, particularly in how he chooses to weaponize the chunk of kryptonite. Snyder previously emphasized this grey area by playing with the imagery of Batman in the sky peering through a sniper rifle at Lex's private military from a safe distance, which turns out to be a tracking device.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 10, 2021

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

So you just like, didn’t want the movie or something?

Not really, no. BvS was such a train wreck that I had little confidence in the future of the DC movies. A sentiment I’ve only felt being reinforced by those subsequent films I’ve seen. (With the notable exception of WW, which was fine, but certainly not perfect).

My comment wasn’t really trying to make the point that Luthor should’ve been killed in that movie. Just that the movie is incompetently put together and written.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

It might be my face blindess but is that the same guy that shows up to arrest Simon Stagg for tax crimes or whatever? Max seems to know him and treats him like a henchman but that wouldn't make sense if it was a real wish being granted.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

Not really, no. BvS was such a train wreck that I had little confidence in the future of the DC movies. A sentiment I’ve only felt being reinforced by those subsequent films I’ve seen. (With the notable exception of WW, which was fine, but certainly not perfect).

My comment wasn’t really trying to make the point that Luthor should’ve been killed in that movie. Just that the movie is incompetently put together and written.

Aquaman was cool. And looks so loving competent now.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Shageletic posted:

Aquaman was cool. And looks so loving competent now.

So I’ve heard! Some day I might see it. I’m in no rush tho.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's not the end all or be all, but it has cool action and a lead that's fun to watch. Scenes that are exciting instead of puzzling and infuriating.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

BigglesSWE posted:

So I’ve heard! Some day I might see it. I’m in no rush tho.

It's a better action comedy than most Marvel movies.

Take that however you want.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Shageletic posted:

It's not the end all or be all, but it has cool action and a lead that's fun to watch. Scenes that are exciting instead of puzzling and infuriating.

And you know what? Sometimes that’s all you need.

But if you gonna be bad, at least be fun. From what I hear, WW84 don’t even manage that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

KVeezy3 posted:

I mean, we're talking about the same filmmaker who infamously added in the scene of Superman, ultimate dad figure, making the purposeful decision to kill the supervillain in the previous film.

Snyder's Batman is willing to use lethal force in his war on crime and knows, unlike previous "No Kill Rule" incarnations, that people will die from it. But he makes it a point to only do so if they're doing the same to him or hostages. He tortures but doesn't kill the chained up women trafficker, and this is what Alfred remarks is Batman's escalation of violence.

This doesn't make it right obviously, but that's how Batman (And U.S. police officers) justifies it. And he doesn't stop killing after the Martha scene - as shown in his assault on the warehouse.

Superman is the first person Batman tries to murder, and even then he goes out of his way to make it a weirdly intimate confrontation, particularly in how he chooses to weaponize the chunk of kryptonite. Snyder previously emphasized this grey area by playing with the imagery of Batman in the sky peering through a sniper rifle at Lex's private military from a safe distance, which turns out to be a tracking device.

Seems pretty incompetently written and put together tbh

Especially compared with the subject of the thread.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

BigglesSWE posted:

I know people have issues understanding the basic plot of BvS, which is weird because it’s a very simple movie, but Batman’s arc in particular is literally spelled out in monologues by various characters. Asking why he doesn’t kill Luther is such a weird question that I can only assume it comes from somehow who didn’t actually watch it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I know people have issues understanding the basic plot of BvS, which is weird because it’s a very simple movie, but Batman’s arc in particular is literally spelled out in monologues by various characters. Asking why he doesn’t kill Luther is such a weird question that I can only assume it comes from somehow who didn’t actually watch it.

I mean, ideally in a comic book movie you wouldn't have to pay attention to any of that because regardless of what troubles there are by the end the good guys will have won, anything bad will have been fixed, and the audience can go home content.

By-the-by, what's folks thoughts on this here WW?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I think the worst part about setting it in the 80s was how they then paid 0 attention to anything 80s to make it feel like that. That could have been set in 1995/2003/2013 and I never would have known the difference really. Outside of a few outfit pieces it just have 0 to do with the 80s even superficially. When you use vehicles, and designs that are clearly from way beyond the 80s with none of the pop culture pieces, is it even really a call back to the 80s?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

By-the-by, what's folks thoughts on this here WW?

Huge mess, too long for how little happens, terrible message, very inconsistent tone, pacing is strange.

The movie wisely doesnt put a lot of focus on Gadot, but at the same time doesnt put enough on the antagonists for this to be a Batman Returns affair. Whatever chemistry she and Chris Pine had in the first, however minor, is severely diminished here, and their final moment together is undercut by hilariously slapdash ADR.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I think the worst part about setting it in the 80s was how they then paid 0 attention to anything 80s to make it feel like that.

For real it gave me Vietnam style flashbacks to the 1950s date in Time Chasers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Oh we’re doing the condescending “you just don’t get it” now do we?

I’m not confused as to why Batman won’t kill Luther in the end. I’m not confused as to why he kills other people, or why he tries to kill Superman.

I AM confused as to why “Batman kills AT ALL” is in any way shape or form an interesting take on the character. It strips him (and the filmmaker) from any kind of creativity in his problem solving. The only way his entire arc revolving the planned murder of Superman would have any gravitas IMO was if the movie made a point of the extraordinary step a murder for him would be, but it does the absolute opposite: he kills people indirectly through his weird and vague branding scheme, and he kills people extremely directly by crushing them in cars or shooting them to shreds in said cars. Snyder said in some interview that “he tried to have him do it indirectly” but wtf does that even mean in this context? Murder is only murder if you do it with your bare hands?

The movie start of with a rendition of his defining moment as a character (murder of his parents) and then shows again and again that he apparently went the Punisher route instead. It’s loving stupid, and it’s just the top of the iceberg of that loving mess of a movie.

And FYI I did watch the movie twice, back in 2016, and goddamn do I wish I could get that time back.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 10, 2021