Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

jivjov posted:

Maybe the first set or two is set pre-meeting rose? They put at least one of the 9th doctor chronicles stories there

All of them are set in that little gap between the Doctor swanning off at the end of “Rose” then coming back and saying “did I mention it travels in time?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TinTower posted:

All of them are set in that little gap between the Doctor swanning off at the end of “Rose” then coming back and saying “did I mention it travels in time?”

I'm okay with this, largely because every single story that takes place in that period makes it even funnier that he apparently had to stop and think 'oh right, I should get back to her'.

It also makes it increasingly more likely that him asking 'did I mention' wasn't him being coy, he genuinely didn't realize he missed that part, and that makes it way better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ten was separated from Martha for like 100 years in that badly animated serial nobody wants to acknowledge anymore.

Did I miss where they explain why Earth has once again forgotten the Daleks?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

Ten was separated from Martha for like 100 years in that badly animated serial nobody wants to acknowledge anymore.

Did I miss where they explain why Earth has once again forgotten the Daleks?

"Do you remember the Zygon gambit with the Loch Ness Monster? Or the Yeti in the underground? No? Your species has an amazing capacity for self deception."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
I think it's more that Earth in general and the UK in particular, in the DW universe, has seen so many alien invasions that they've become inured to them, so it takes something really spectacular to shake them out of their boredom.

"Dear, the Cybermen and Daleks are battling it out in London again." "Oh, bloody marvellous, that'll delay my train by at least a half-hour today!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TinTower posted:

Big Finish is incredibly experienced at sliding dozens of new stories into every little possible gap, but man, 9 has way fewer of those gaps than most doctors.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jivjov posted:

Big Finish is incredibly experienced at sliding dozens of new stories into every little possible gap, but man, 9 has way fewer of those gaps than most doctors.

There's tons of room as long as he doesn't see a mirror

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jivjov posted:

The Five Companions is set during the middle of The Five Doctors. Remember when the Doctor used the Master's recall device to escape the Cybermen? He ended up joining Ian, Steven, Sara Kingdom, Polly, and Nyssa to face Daleks, Sontarans, and Dinosaurs!

But as I see it, Nine has gaps:

Pre-Rose
During Rose. If he's tracking the Autons, maybe he gets led away.
At the end of "Rose" (the aforementioned "Did I mention it also travels in time?")
During "Aliens of London" (when he took the TARDIS to Albion hospital; he even promised Rose he wouldn't go off without her. There could be a whole series of "Whoops, can't let Rose know!")
In "Boom Town", Rose tells Mickey of all the places they've been; the Doctor could've dropped Rose and Jack off and had a whole 'nother series of adventures without them knowing.

I would be kind of neat if they do a Nine with the Cybermen story, especially if they use the design of the one seen in "Dalek". "An old friend, or old enemy, I might say." could take a whole new meaning if Nine was referencing a specific adventure that incarnation had with them. Remember, that head design was different from the ones seen in "The Invasion".

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 10, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The head seen in Dalek is the "Revenge of" design isn't it?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rhyno posted:

The head seen in Dalek is the "Revenge of" design isn't it?

Turns out Revenge was a multi-Doctor story - Nine was just always slightly to the left of the camera the entire time

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

The Five Companions is set during the middle of The Five Doctors. Remember when the Doctor used the Master's recall device to escape the Cybermen? He ended up joining Ian, Steven, Sara Kingdom, Polly, and Nyssa to face Daleks, Sontarans, and Dinosaurs!

But as I see it, Nine has gaps:

Pre-Rose
During Rose. If he's tracking the Autons, maybe he gets led away.
At the end of "Rose" (the aforementioned "Did I mention it also travels in time?")
During "Aliens of London" (when he took the TARDIS to Albion hospital; he even promised Rose he wouldn't go off without her. There could be a whole series of "Whoops, can't let Rose know!")
In "Boom Town", Rose tells Mickey of all the places they've been; the Doctor could've dropped Rose and Jack off and had a whole 'nother series of adventures without them knowing.

I would be kind of neat if they do a Nine with the Cybermen story, especially if they use the design of the one seen in "Dalek". "An old friend, or old enemy, I might say." could take a whole new meaning if Nine was referencing a specific adventure that incarnation had with them. Remember, that head design was different from the ones seen in "The Invasion".

Oh yeah, I'm absolutely not saying that we've seen every possible moment of 9's life, just that as a one-series Doc there's not quite as many gaps to fill as with others.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

jivjov posted:

Oh yeah, I'm absolutely not saying that we've seen every possible moment of 9's life, just that as a one-series Doc there's not quite as many gaps to fill as with others.

There are basically infinite gaps. It is established from the Big Finish Doctor + companion stories and implied in the show that they have many adventures that we don't see on screen. So to create a gap for 9 to have some solo time, he goes somewhere with Rose, goes off to do some other stuff then comes back to meet up with Rose 2 seconds later.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nine is 800 at the start of Rose, 900 after he comes back and says "Did I mention it travels in time?" and Ten mentions he's 904 in the 50th, so...

Impossible Astronaut posted:

"Since when do you drink wine?"
"I'm 1103."
"You were 908 last time I saw you."

I mean, yes, he's been vague about his age, but during the Moffat Era, they at least tried to be a little consistent with it, or he could be saying that so it doesn't sound like he's ditching them for centuries at a time...

Or maybe it really doesn't matter and they'll write Nine adventuring as he pleases at any point in time because hahaha continuity in Doctor Who hahaha

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love that special mini-episode where Amy wakes up in the middle of the night and wanders into the control room, and the Doctor comes barreling through the door in a tuxedo. Amy's,"....Doctor.... do you... do you go and have adventures while we're asleep....?" is so great :allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doctor: I do not sneak out at night to parties with River Song!
Amy: How is she?
Doctor: Fine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

For some reason that reminded me of:

Doctor: Look, the TARDIS is a woman now!
Amy: ....did you wish really hard?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

I love that special mini-episode where Amy wakes up in the middle of the night and wanders into the control room, and the Doctor comes barreling through the door in a tuxedo. Amy's,"....Doctor.... do you... do you go and have adventures while we're asleep....?" is so great :allears:

Annoyingly those 'Night and the Doctor' ones seem to have fallen off Youtube.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's a shame they don't do minisodes as often anymore

Give me Thirteen and Yaz sharing a biscuit, or Graham getting the "here's everyone the Doctor's traveled with" treatment like Amy and Clara did

"Gandalf, I am space Gandalf, the little green one from Star Wars."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

It's a shame they don't do minisodes as often anymore

Give me Thirteen and Yaz sharing a biscuit, or Graham getting the "here's everyone the Doctor's traveled with" treatment like Amy and Clara did

"Gandalf, I am space Gandalf, the little green one from Star Wars."

It's probably never occurred to Chibnall to do them. He really doesn't seem to have any sense of fun.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

It's probably never occurred to Chibnall to do them. He really doesn't seem to have any sense of fun.

He wrote Pond Life though

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

The show doesn't have the clout anymore to command this kind of extra production.

It can't even reliably make a season each year, let alone any specials or behind the scenes shows.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

The show doesn't have the clout anymore to command this kind of extra production.

It can't even reliably make a season each year, let alone any specials or behind the scenes shows.

Neither could Moffat tho.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1348932947496357890

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Please let one be Gaiman’s novelisation of The Doctor’s Wife, as he’s promised for years.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Please let one be Gaiman’s novelisation of The Doctor’s Wife, as he’s promised for years.

Watch it be a super bitchy "what could have been" novelisation of Nightmare In Silver.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Watch it be a super bitchy "what could have been" novelisation of Nightmare In Silver.

I know it was originally supposed to be Victorian children with Victorian Clara, is it known what else was changed?

I re-watched it the other day and the only stuff I really enjoyed was the emperor, and that's really just Warwick Davis being likeable.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

Think it's The TV Movie, Dalek, The Crimson Horror, and The Witchfinders

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
The only part of that Nightmare in Silver episode I remember was the one guy going "Yeah they blew up a whole solar system killing billions, but do you know who I feel bad for? The guy that had to pull the trigger" and then later finding out he was the one that pulled the trigger.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Santa Doctor arrived! I am busting over all this amazing stuff.

A card signed by ALL THE DOCTORS! This must have taken forever to collect!

I could cry. It's just so beautiful. (Pardon the crumbs, I was too excited to clean the table)

I already added it to my altar (I just realized it looks like a shrine to Jodie, I won a contest and got a bunch of 13 swag)

Added to the Target collection.

Thank you so much The_Doctor!!!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Treated myself. Got to say, that's a drat good Pertwee. Could quibble that the TARDIS is closer in design to the flat-roofed Barry Newbery prop from the Tom era than the Peter Brachacki prop used in 'The Monster of Peladon', but hey, it looks fine.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

York_M_Chan posted:

Santa Doctor arrived! I am busting over all this amazing stuff.
A card signed by ALL THE DOCTORS! This must have taken forever to collect!

Thank you so much The_Doctor!!!

Again, you're welcome! I just left the card near the console and eventually everyone strolled by and signed!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I received two fantastic Who-themed facemasks courtesy of Big Mean Jerk from SoFarSewGoodsCo. Thankfully neither of them were this design.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1349296298428661760

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I wonder if the TV Movie should just get an alternate title at this point. Make just a big episode.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It was "The Enemy Within" at one point.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I always liked Grace:1999.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Doctor Who and The Shoes That Fit Perfectly

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Doctor Who and The Shoes That Fit Perfectly

We have our new thread title for the hiatus thread!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
At least the dvd/blu release just called it “The Movie”. Calling it “The TV Movie” sounds like a demotion, even if it is technically true.

Poor McGann, his only on-screen appearances are a TV movie without a title, a minisode, and a handful of library clips. Put the man in a Multi-Doc special already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I agree with Big Mean Jerk, there should be a televised 8th Doctor Adventures that runs during the off-season between new episodes of modern Who :hai: