Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

marktheando posted:

Oh you. Moffat was really good in series 5 and also the one with Bill in it

Yeah you got me with logic and good taste.

I also don't mind 7A, but then you've got long stretches of mediocrity like 7B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

They could of done so much better by Martha in that finale.

Yeah, also throughout the rest of series 3.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah you got me with logic and good taste.

I also don't mind 7A, but then you've got long stretches of mediocrity like 7B.

I do really strongly dislike a lot of the stuff Moffat has put out, some of this show's lowest moments, however I also love a lot of the stuff Moffat has put out, some of this show's greatest moments. He's a land of contrasts.

His Dracula thing sounds like complete dogshit though and I can't stand Sherlock, but overall I'm positive on his Who run I guess.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I got a package from Big Mean Jerk, proving his name isn’t true! Fury from the Deep! Who-themed face masks! A cool board game I haven’t played! And an amazing custom set of 3D printed figures*! The work you put into this is fantastic and you’re a wonderful person. Many many thanks, BMJ! :dance:

* ... of DEATH! <twang>

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Those can be a choking hazard for 900 year olds because they are all small and goblin like.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

marktheando posted:

Yeah, also throughout the rest of series 3.

I do really strongly dislike a lot of the stuff Moffat has put out, some of this show's lowest moments, however I also love a lot of the stuff Moffat has put out, some of this show's greatest moments. He's a land of contrasts.

His Dracula thing sounds like complete dogshit though and I can't stand Sherlock, but overall I'm positive on his Who run I guess.

Don’t forget the doctor jeckle mr Hyde mini series that’s batshit insane.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

* ... of DEATH! <twang>

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

marktheando posted:

Oh hey, I've just reached Human Nature/Family of Blood in my rewatch. That three episode stretch including Utopia is so loving good. It's just a shame it was followed up by some of the worst most stupid poo poo ever seen in this programme.

John Simms' Master has grown on me over the years, and there are scenes in Sound of Drums/Last of the Timelords I love, but the Doctor turning into a goblin until everyone prays to him is still incredibly stupid and bad. What the gently caress were you thinking RTD?

I definitely feel like RTD had the idea of the Master being much more explicitly a dark mirror to the Doctor, and you can see that Simm's performance is basically the worst qualities of Ten(nant) cranked up to max.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

I got a package from Big Mean Jerk, proving his name isn’t true! Fury from the Deep! Who-themed face masks! A cool board game I haven’t played! And an amazing custom set of 3D printed figures*! The work you put into this is fantastic and you’re a wonderful person. Many many thanks, BMJ! :dance:

* ... of DEATH! <twang>

I’m glad that thing finally arrived! I can’t take credit for the masks, those were made by my sister but I think they came out pretty well. Forbidden Desert is one of my favorite board games, it’s got a great shifting difficulty that makes every playthrough unique. If you dig it you should check out the related games Forbidden Island and Forbidden Sky. Island is simpler and quicker, Sky is more complex and difficult.

Happy Christmas, Doc!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I definitely feel like RTD had the idea of the Master being much more explicitly a dark mirror to the Doctor, and you can see that Simm's performance is basically the worst qualities of Ten(nant) cranked up to max.

RTD was very explicit about that. When asked about the Master in an interview, of whether he saw him as a friend for the Doctor, he replied that he didn't and saw him as more of a dark mirror. Don't remember the exact words or where the interview was, though, so take this with a grain of salt, I guess.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Can't believe I forgot about Blink when talking about how good the run of episodes from Human Nature to Utopia is.

Series 3 in general is really strong except for Shakespeare Code, the Daleks two parter, and all the terrible bits of Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I’d still take Tinkerbell Jesus over the last twenty minutes of “Hell Bent”. :colbert:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
John Simm in the The Doctor Falls was great, because of how much better he was than the RTD version. His beard, the more cynical, mature and calculating version of the character was so much better written than the "act like a crazy person" take. I've liked John Simm in other things, but didn't take to his Master - but that episode won me over, and left me wanting more of that version of the character.

It's interesting, because the original motivation of the character - aside from taking over the world - was the desperate desire to extend his own lifespan past 13 incarnations by any means, regardless of how insane, dangerous or unethical. But now he's got a new regeneration cycle, now what? The fun of the character is that he almost wants the Doctor to foil his plans, and it's like a game between them, because deep down, they're still friends, despite it all - Moffat leaned hard into that with Missy (the Alex McQueen incarnation and the Eighth Doctor have a great bit in Dark Eyes 3 that breaks down the dynamic between the two).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think those early appearances soured people on Simm in kind of the same way I was soured on Chris Pine until I saw him in stuff other than the JJ Abrams Star Treks. A "Oh, he's not a bad actor, he's just good at taking direction and they WANTED him to be obnoxious and one-note" feeling.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TinTower posted:

I’d still take Tinkerbell Jesus over the last twenty minutes of “Hell Bent”. :colbert:

It drags a little bit it's not THAT bad. I actually think it's the beginning of the episode that's weak.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Gaz-L posted:

I think those early appearances soured people on Simm in kind of the same way I was soured on Chris Pine until I saw him in stuff other than the JJ Abrams Star Treks. A "Oh, he's not a bad actor, he's just good at taking direction and they WANTED him to be obnoxious and one-note" feeling.

John Simm is doing the Master anniversary special for Big Finish, maybe he'll do some more appearances as the older version of his Master in the future.
Listening to the Masterful trailer, it was a bit confusing as to who was talking, or what was going on, but it seems ambitious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've said it before but I love that the Simms Master is SUCH a dick that he literally murdered a later incarnation of himself simply so he could win an argument.... with himself.

I used to joke for years that there should be a story where two Masters end up scheming against each other and somehow the earlier version wins... and then Moffat only went and did it, the madman.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I've said it before but I love that the Simms Master is SUCH a dick that he literally murdered a later incarnation of himself simply so he could win an argument.... with himself.

I used to joke for years that there should be a story where two Masters end up scheming against each other and somehow the earlier version wins... and then Moffat only went and did it, the madman.

It's very on brand for the Master, but none moreso than Simm

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Delgado Master: Possibly killed by Daleks?
Beevers Master: Possessed a Trakenite body
Tipple Master: Killed by Daleks, turned into a loving snake
Snake Master: Possessed a human body
Roberts Master: Shoved into the Eye of Harmony (then did some Big Finish)
Macqueen Master: ????
Jacobi Master: Shot by his apprentice with her Chan and her Tho, driving him INSANE! :argh:
Simm Master: Stabbed to death by a future incarnation
Gomez Master: Shot to death by a prior incarnation
Dhawan Master: Last seen at ground zero exposure to a device that kills all life (and thus he is presumed alive and well).

There are some Big Finish Masters in there too but I'm not caught up on those yet.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 30, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Delgado Master: Possibly killed by Daleks?
Beevers Master: Possessed a Trakenite body
Tipple Master: Killed by Daleks, turned into a loving snake
Snake Master: Possessed a human body
Roberts Master: Shoved into the Eye of Harmony (then did some Big Finish)
Macqueen Master: ????
Simm Master: Stabbed to death by a future incarnation
Gomez Master: Shot to death by a prior incarnation
Dhawan Master: Last seen at ground zero exposure to a device that kills all life (and thus he is presumed alive and well).

There are some Big Finish Masters in there too but I'm not caught up on those yet.

HOW DARE YOU FORGET JACOBI MASTER

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

HOW DARE YOU FORGET JACOBI MASTER

:aaa:

I am a wretch and a fool :gonk:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

RTD was very explicit about that. When asked about the Master in an interview, of whether he saw him as a friend for the Doctor, he replied that he didn't and saw him as more of a dark mirror. Don't remember the exact words or where the interview was, though, so take this with a grain of salt, I guess.

"If The Doctor can be twee and hyperactive then so can I!"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

marktheando posted:

Oh hey, I've just reached Human Nature/Family of Blood in my rewatch. That three episode stretch including Utopia is so loving good. It's just a shame it was followed up by some of the worst most stupid poo poo ever seen in this programme.

John Simms' Master has grown on me over the years, and there are scenes in Sound of Drums/Last of the Timelords I love, but the Doctor turning into a goblin until everyone prays to him is still incredibly stupid and bad. What the gently caress were you thinking RTD?

He was thinking 'oh poo poo I have three hours and two packs of cigarettes left before deadline'

Because that was the RTD way

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

He was thinking 'oh poo poo I have three hours and two packs of cigarettes left before deadline'

Not just him, didn't Moffat not finish the script for Let's Kill Hitler until partway into filming that episode? He had everything up until River's "God Hitler's a bit rubbish, let's got kill the Fuhrer" speech done, and then had no idea where to go with it.

And it shows tbh.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Tinkerbell Jesus is silly, but it doesn't ruin the episode IMO. The way it's solved is kind of weak in that it's just not explained or set up very well, but I've never felt the sort of visceral hatred for it so much of the fandom seems to feel.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Barry Foster posted:

Let's not forget when RTD responded to criticisms of his lazy writing (as in, falling back on stupid tropes, trite scenarios, and deus ex machina in many of his episodes) with astonishment, and words to the effect of "I'm not a lazy writer, I write for hours on end" :rolleyes:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Now, now, the writers of Doctor Who love deadlines. They love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by them. RIP Douglas Adams.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hey!

There's new Doctor Who tomorrow!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/arbrax/status/1344477173206269952?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Hey!

There's new Doctor Who tomorrow!

I freaked out over the time difference a few hours ago and thought,"Oh poo poo is there a new Doctor Who on in a couple hours!?! :derp:" and then it turned out no, I would have to wait a whole extra day, which I am confident is the LONGEST anybody has ever had to wait for a new Doctor Who ever :negative:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

:same:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Paul is all of us.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

By midnight tonight, this planet will be pulled inside out! Happy new year! :toot:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

By midnight tonight, this planet will be pulled inside out! Happy new year! :toot:

2021 will be the 25th anniversary of the TV movie.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Davros1 posted:

Wow, 25 years since I became obsessed with Doctor Who.

I was seven years old, OK?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

First of all, how dare you.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Let's not forget when RTD responded to criticisms of his lazy writing (as in, falling back on stupid tropes, trite scenarios, and deus ex machina in many of his episodes) with astonishment, and words to the effect of "I'm not a lazy writer, I write for hours on end" :rolleyes:

He's not wrong though? He can be hackneyed and indulgent, but using the word lazy is just... well, you'd say lazy, but I'd say wrong.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Stupid goddamn linear passage of time! :argh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Open Source Idiom posted:

He's not wrong though? He can be hackneyed and indulgent, but using the word lazy is just... well, you'd say lazy, but I'd say wrong.

So did you just skip over the part of my post where I explained what "lazy writing" (which RTD was most assuredly guilty of in the majority of his DW episodes) was or what

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So did you just skip over the part of my post where I explained what "lazy writing" (which RTD was most assuredly guilty of in the majority of his DW episodes) was or what

No, I'm contesting the meaning of the phrase. I'm attempting to argue that when someone says, "no, I'm not a lazy writer", they can be guilty of the stuff you're talking about -- and I agree that RTD can often be so -- but they can also accurately claim not be lazy.

I'm agreeing with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
e: f,b