Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I've hit new-Who in my rewatch. The olympics ending of Fear Her is still amazingly terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh hey, I've just reached Human Nature/Family of Blood in my rewatch. That three episode stretch including Utopia is so loving good. It's just a shame it was followed up by some of the worst most stupid poo poo ever seen in this programme.

John Simms' Master has grown on me over the years, and there are scenes in Sound of Drums/Last of the Timelords I love, but the Doctor turning into a goblin until everyone prays to him is still incredibly stupid and bad. What the gently caress were you thinking RTD?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

*nods sagely*

the moffat era

Oh you. Moffat was really good in series 5 and also the one with Bill in it

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

They could of done so much better by Martha in that finale.

Yeah, also throughout the rest of series 3.

Yeah you got me with logic and good taste.

I also don't mind 7A, but then you've got long stretches of mediocrity like 7B.

I do really strongly dislike a lot of the stuff Moffat has put out, some of this show's lowest moments, however I also love a lot of the stuff Moffat has put out, some of this show's greatest moments. He's a land of contrasts.

His Dracula thing sounds like complete dogshit though and I can't stand Sherlock, but overall I'm positive on his Who run I guess.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Can't believe I forgot about Blink when talking about how good the run of episodes from Human Nature to Utopia is.

Series 3 in general is really strong except for Shakespeare Code, the Daleks two parter, and all the terrible bits of Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That was enjoyable enough in the moment, nothing outrageously terrible, but yeah the plot was a total mess, and American business man is not an interesting enough character to justify bringing him back.

Was fun to see Jack again though, and the Prime Minister getting exterminated by Daleks in front of 10 Downing Street was cool and good.

Agreed that the Doctor killing a TARDIS felt wrong.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Didn't bother to watch, did the new episode bother to wrap up the "Timeless Child" nonsense, or is that still going to be Chibnall's thing until he finally leaves?

It did not. It was suggested that the Doctor will be investigating that stuff next.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bring back RTD, I haven't heard about him doing things recently so I assume he's available.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's been a thing for a long while now, not a rule, but most Doctors have only done 3 years. Patrick Troughton famously advised Peter Davison that 3 years was optimal.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I've got to Let's Kill Hitler in the re-watch. I hate everything to do with Mels.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It would be pretty great if they did give Doctor Who 15 million an episode like Mandalorean though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

Kinda like that Quantum Leap episode where lighting strikes and Al and Sam switch places, only not evil.

Also, its just a rumor that Jodie Whittaker is leaving right?

Reported in the Mirror, but not officially confirmed by the beeb yet.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The restaurant scene is worth putting up with all the less good stuff in the Two Doctors.

I'm watching The Angels Take Manhattan right now and I wasn't paying enough attention, I've forgotten how the Angels work now. Why does Moffat have to change how they work every time they appear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Watch it be a super bitchy "what could have been" novelisation of Nightmare In Silver.

I know it was originally supposed to be Victorian children with Victorian Clara, is it known what else was changed?

I re-watched it the other day and the only stuff I really enjoyed was the emperor, and that's really just Warwick Davis being likeable.