Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Started Season 11 yesterday. I like the new Doctor so far, but yeesh, this Rosa Parks episode was hard to swallow. There have to be infinite ways they could've approached this episode where they don't make Doctor Who and co participate in racial discrimination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

and what the gently caress how the gently caress did that episode get made? :psyduck:

:psyduck: is how I felt even several episodes after, just kind of a weird stink that hung around. It was really hosed up to hear the Doctor give a moral lesson lecture to the audience but instead of something inspiring and humane it's like "it's good to be trodden by megacorps actually!"

I do like this Doctor overall, think I agree that it's just everything around her that isn't as good.

This Witch episode was odd, mostly because I don't think I know anything about King James. First time she said it I thought she was making a reference to the bible. Then peewee herman shows up as this freaky royal british cartoon man, and I guess I just somehow missed his involvement in witch huntery? Was there really a pathetic king like that or was it a fun nudge and wink to some local history and myth of that dude?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 4, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Okay, I'm sorely tempted to just try and tease out what you thought the "King James" in "King James Bible" meant.

But; Alan Cumming (Who is, by the way, a treasure, and I will no joke fight you. Go watch Plunkett and Maclean and Josie and the Pussycats. He's also been in some good movies but hes having the most fun in those two movies) was playing King James VI (aka King James I). He was a religious man and paid for the first ever translation of the bible into the english language, hence "King James Bible" referring to a particular translation. So yes, he was playing "the bible guy". Also the king Guy Fawkes tried to blow up, if "the gunpowder plot" means anything to you?

As for his involvement in witch huntery, well, he pretty much wrote the book on witch hunting. Specifically the book he wrote was called Daemonologie and was (this lifted verbatim from wikipedia) "a political yet theological statement to educate a misinformed populace on the history, practices and implications of sorcery and the reasons for persecuting a witch in a Christian society under the rule of canonical law.". It heavily inspired witch trials/witch hunters in the following century or so.

First, I loved Josie and the Pussycats and I don't think I effectively conveyed that I loved his performance and like the guy (I also really like Paul Reubins but I had to google that to avoid saying Peewee again).

I legit know more about LOTR history than I do about any european period with kings, which in my defense, all sound exactly as made up as every fantasy novel I've ever read, except in the IRL version everyone has exceptionally mundane names and it's hard to see someone as a protagonist or king with a name like Bob + a number(not to mention the numbers are about as consistent and useful as Xbox version names). Nebuchadnezzar... now that's a fuckin King's name if I ever heard one. My general template for an idea of a euro king is some rich dickhead in an office/castle tossing his weight around just like any other rich bastard with more power than anyone can possible deserve, so it's weird for me to imagine a Jeff Bezos slithering into a warehouse somewhere to hunt down workers for trying to take a bathroom break.

My recollection of King James is that once upon a time George RR Martin Luther Burger King's Jr was mad at the catholic church for being corrupt and evil shitweeds and he wrote a mean comment on their official facebook page where everyone could see it. Then he decided to take the catholic's lovely version of Paul's lovely bible and write a new equally lovely version that everyone except this time germans could read it instead of just latinos.

Anyway, King James one day wanted to get a divorce or something and the pope was all like "no, do our rules" and it was really causing problems for all these people who were split between two incredibly dumb authorities so he paid some other dude to copy burger king's idea but by writing a lovely paulian bible in a cringey self-indulgent english prose style. He used this new bible to make a new church that basically let him more easily do whatever it was he was going to be doing anyway.

Which I'm now learning involved getting hands-on involved with their era's non-consensual snuff films as well as wrote pre-DnD fantasy tabletop setting Core Rules Book except he went too deep and thought it was real life.

Cerv posted:

also, gay as all hell

Hahaha what? Is this fake news? Neither evangelical church or texas public school adequately covered this topic

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 6, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So seent the episode where a new prequel Doctor makes an appearance. Got a couple questions.

IIRC we have a new doctor because like the timelords all pitched in on a spirit bomb or something to let the doctor have a new cycle, right? but that made them like all die or disappear or something? so did they do that before or is it just a big show to make it seem like a big deal but really they can just toss in some new regen juice batteries whenever they want.

Second, since there are maybe infinite doctors in the past, memory-erased somehow from the doctor, could a "prequel" series work? It's interesting to think about how or if it would be functionally any different. Doctor already exists out of order and even for people observing them, it's natural for them to change forms and appear at arbitrary intervals. Could a prequel series be a good excuse to bring Clara back, or, hmm, actually how does that work? Did Clara like, guardian angel for the infinite doctors before the current one, or did she only do that for the first 12? Nevermind, also remembering she erased herself from their memories anyway. Whatever, always room for a Clara & Ashildr show sans doctor.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Thank you parsing my crackhead history and responding with some dope history.

drat, I would totally watch a show with the pitch of the Bi Witch-Hunting King and fanfic author and his boyfriend, one of the original candy bars.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've just seen the Timeless Children episode, S12 finale.

Hmm.

Well.

If they'd gone just a step further they could've turned all of Who into one of those little short stories where it turns out everyone is God. Getcha a little piece of doctor god in all organic beings, come on! Also I guess this makes The Doctor no longer one of the last Timelords, and instead is actually the only one of whatever it once was, mind-wipe raised by a race and civilization of people who were created out of some hosed up genetic engineering?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Crosspeice posted:

Still thinking the Master is the Timeless Child and he was having a laugh with the Doctor, as he wants to do. It would be Chibnall trying to make his mark on the show by having a still terrible retcon, but one that doesn't nearly ruin the main character's entire legacy. Like I'm fine with them loving with stuff, wibbly wobbly, etc, but there are some things you just don't change, and the 1st Doctor nicking a time machine, with or without Clara's interference, and enjoying some peace and quiet in a 1960s junkyard is how the character starts. You don't need to really know anything further back than that.

Personally I've never felt like I needed to go any further than the christopher eccleston doctor. The original origins are... fine, I guess, I get the temptation to make some crazy origin story but idk a lot of the fun of Who is kind of working around its own wonky wobbly canon. This timeless child business certainly shakes some canon, but it's not very apparent why and it doesn't seem like a good enough story to bother wrenching itself in so forcefully.

Doctor was super disgusted by the idea of timelord-regenerating cyberman, but it kind of makes me wonder... like, does the doctor contain the secret of eternal life and you can apparently jam it into yourself pretty easily? I guess it's a question along the lines of "was jesus morally obligated to feed all of the hungry in the world given his ability to make infinite copies of food?"

If Cybermen don't get to be immortal regenerators, should Timelords be allowed to be? Or is it only okay if a colonist does it to an alien baby and they just kind of grandfather in this questionable ethical experimentation.

The Master could be lying about things for sure, I wouldn't be surprised to find out The Master is just The Doctor going through a dark mirror journey of all the pessimistic negative qualities and stress of witnessing genocidal horrors and whatnot. Then at some point they kiss and makeup and have a baby with themselves and give birth to Doctor Master who is the unified form of them both.

P.S. Regarding this jail The Doctor was put in by the Rocksteadies, I've seen the doctor escape some kind of eternal jail maze tomb by doing infinity punches at a diamond wall so this jail that's just a cool Mario Galaxy level with cartoon prison bars she can look out into space from seems like a really weakass prison.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 7, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
please do not ring a bell you cannot unring

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay I'm all caught up and have seen the special.

Well, first, I hope they manage to keep it just The Doctor and Yaz for a while next season. Any idea who the next Doctor is yet? Guess that might inform whether they pile on new companions or develop the one who makes sense to. Maybe onboard the next people a bit better, like, "hey existing near me is kind of like a drug and you'll be left with some lifelong withdrawl but don't worry you could always be fragmented into pieces and permanently erased from my memory.

The Doctor should also stop trying to tell people they'll meet back up with them in a predictable amount of time. How many times do companions get left behind on earth and then the doctor is gone for them for a really long time now?

Also is there any reason the Doctor just doesn't go back in time immediately so they aren't "late" anymore, or even just check the date before popping out of the tardis. It's fine that it doesn't usually matter but it feels disingenuous to apologize about it when there is no intention to change the behaviour.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah alright. Dealing with going cold turkey from the doctor is fixed grief in history I can buy it. Apology disingenuousness accusation rescinded.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

We're getting 8 episodes and a new dude joins pretty soon.

Well shame about the new dude, hope that means the new Doctor isn't a new foreign white guy.

Found some arbitrary odds and the best odds are for a really boring looking guy (to be fair, kind of hard to judge Doctor ability by squinting at an actor and imagining if they could wear a thrift store hobo outfit while shouting heroic nonsense)

quote:

Next Doctor Who odds
Kris Marshall: 3/1

Maxine Peake: 8/1

Natalie Dormer: 8/1

Tom Rosenthal: 10/1

David Harewood: 11/1

Vicky McClure: 12/1

James Norton: 14/1

Phoebe Waller-Bridge: 14/1

Richard Rankin: 16/1

Tilda Swinton: 16/1

Jenna Coleman: 20/1

Michaela Coel: 20/1

Best girl has worst odds

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mr Beens posted:

FYI those are just made up by bookmakers to get money from gullible people, not based on any fact or insider knowledge of casting processes

Oh I know but just wanted to see some kind of list of potential people might be speculating about. Speaking of gambling, it's a moral thing I'm against but that's an antiquated moral when it comes to media. Trying to remember if the Doctor ever took an anti-gambling stance? Seems like the Doctor who be aware of the pain and evils of organized gambling businesses but then again, maybe poverty and debt and money don't mean much to a God.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

marktheando posted:

It would be pretty great if they did give Doctor Who 15 million an episode like Mandalorean though.

Star Trek Discovery might be a better visual reference point if you wanna imagine Doctor Who with a big budget but not Disney-budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Flight Bisque posted:

I've just watched the new episode.

The Doctor.... just let Chris Noth get away with it. No repercussions, no consequences, not even a scolding.

I just cannot get over that. When I saw him in the preview, I thought for sure, they're bringing him back after the spider episode just to get his comeuppance.

I'm... baffled.

I think that's one of the main thing that made the person inspiring the character such a strong villain, the ridiculous lengths to which they could do horrible things and never face real repercussions or instead get rewarded.