Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Wonderful new thread, all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OldMemes posted:

So judging from the OP, is the Charlotte Pollard spin-off series generally not considered to be good by fans?

I enjoyed it, but I think I'm in the minority.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SiKboy posted:

I remember it being bad, but I cant specifically remember if we saw the doctor being put into prison or if I only knew about it from the trailers...

Yes, the Doc ending up in prison was the cliffhanger ending. Functioned like the ship crashing through the wall of the TARDIS from the end of Tenant season.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well, if you didn't like the New Year's Special....Big Finish is dropping Masterful tomorrow, so there's that!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I gotta say, Yaz desperately trying to be Doctor Lite was one of the more enjoyable aspects of the episode. She's the one that would get handed psychic paper and left to defend Earth more than Ryan and Graham.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Didn't bother to watch, did the new episode bother to wrap up the "Timeless Child" nonsense, or is that still going to be Chibnall's thing until he finally leaves?

The Doc talks about it for a little bit, how she's confused and angered by not knowing what of her past is real, how much exists that she can't remember, etc. but it's not addressed as a "here are more answers" thing

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I really like that while Jack was flirty as always, they didn't make him an absolute caricature of pure horniness like he sometimes could come off.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm going to show my old age here and say it always makes me cringe when the Doctor quotes or references relatively recent pop culture stuff. Like I don't mind him referencing Shakespeare or Dickens or Alice in Wonderland, but referencing some modern pop-culture ephemera (as in, it's popular nowadays and likely will be completely forgotten in the next 25-50 years) like Harry Potter sounds like a show that's desperately trying to convince the audience of just how cool and hip and "with it" it is. It's probably just me projecting my disdain for most pop culture trends upon the show, though, but it always just kinda irks me when it happens. I feel like something should be exceptionally good to grab the attention of a nigh-immortal time-traveling alien, and Harry Potter books ain't that (to say nothing of the problematic pile of crap J.K. Rowling's become).

Keep in mind that Harry Potter has been around long enough that the TENTH doctor referenced "Book 7" before that book even had a publicly known title. That series was basically THE childhood literature for an entire generation. Referencing Harry Potter is akin to referencing Star Trek or The Lord of the Rings, it's a cultural institution. If it had been a Fantastic Beasts reference, or name dropping the cast from the film versions of something I'd absolutely agree with your stance here, but quoting th first line of Philosopher's Stone doesn't feel super egregious (the way, say, Capaldi mentioning Pokemon Go did) Rowling going full mask off is the regrettable side thing. What could just be a cute reference to a beloved series is now carrying a bunch of baggage. I'm choosing to interpret it along the lines of "this character, who is now arguably a trans icon, is reclaiming a story from a TERF and using it to bring herself comfort"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not wholly, unfortunately. He's in at least one more, as yet unreleased, story, that they recorded years and years ago. But they're not advertising his presence, and he'll not be credited on the cover.

He may also be in Masterful.

I haven't listened to Masterful yet, but the implication I got from the cover art and such is that they brought back the character of the First Master, but played by Milo Parker as a younger version, so they could lean into having that incarnation without reusing an openly transphobe actor

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cerv posted:

saving grace of the episode was not having any forced reference to xmas.
otherwise pretty mediocre wasn't it?

anyone explain this for those of us who've never read / seen Potter? which bit of the episode was that

When the Doc was in prison and she tells herself a bedtime story, she quotes the opening line of the first Harry Potter book

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

I can't wait to see how they continue to not use Yaz next

(Glances at the calendar) ...next year?

Sometime later this year, from what they've advertised

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Big Finish did a third doctor/master body swap story and it was really fun--seeing that dynamic on screen seems like a fun idea

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder why they’re not getting Billie Piper.

Maybe the first set or two is set pre-meeting rose? They put at least one of the 9th doctor chronicles stories there

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TinTower posted:

All of them are set in that little gap between the Doctor swanning off at the end of “Rose” then coming back and saying “did I mention it travels in time?”

Big Finish is incredibly experienced at sliding dozens of new stories into every little possible gap, but man, 9 has way fewer of those gaps than most doctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

The Five Companions is set during the middle of The Five Doctors. Remember when the Doctor used the Master's recall device to escape the Cybermen? He ended up joining Ian, Steven, Sara Kingdom, Polly, and Nyssa to face Daleks, Sontarans, and Dinosaurs!

But as I see it, Nine has gaps:

Pre-Rose
During Rose. If he's tracking the Autons, maybe he gets led away.
At the end of "Rose" (the aforementioned "Did I mention it also travels in time?")
During "Aliens of London" (when he took the TARDIS to Albion hospital; he even promised Rose he wouldn't go off without her. There could be a whole series of "Whoops, can't let Rose know!")
In "Boom Town", Rose tells Mickey of all the places they've been; the Doctor could've dropped Rose and Jack off and had a whole 'nother series of adventures without them knowing.

I would be kind of neat if they do a Nine with the Cybermen story, especially if they use the design of the one seen in "Dalek". "An old friend, or old enemy, I might say." could take a whole new meaning if Nine was referencing a specific adventure that incarnation had with them. Remember, that head design was different from the ones seen in "The Invasion".

Oh yeah, I'm absolutely not saying that we've seen every possible moment of 9's life, just that as a one-series Doc there's not quite as many gaps to fill as with others.