Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

marktheando posted:

Oh hey, I've just reached Human Nature/Family of Blood in my rewatch. That three episode stretch including Utopia is so loving good. It's just a shame it was followed up by some of the worst most stupid poo poo ever seen in this programme.

John Simms' Master has grown on me over the years, and there are scenes in Sound of Drums/Last of the Timelords I love, but the Doctor turning into a goblin until everyone prays to him is still incredibly stupid and bad. What the gently caress were you thinking RTD?

He was thinking 'oh poo poo I have three hours and two packs of cigarettes left before deadline'

Because that was the RTD way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Chibnall's run is definitely the Hillary Clinton of Doctor Who tenures (no, not because the lead is now a lady), and that's the reason I can't really watch it anymore (I got to the Master revealing he'd destroyed Gallifrey again and that was the final straw).

I would really love it if someone like Mathieson took over next and brought in an overtly poo poo-kickin' lefty liberationist Doctor, but tbh Chibnall's wet liberalism is realistically the best we can even expect anymore given basically the entire BBC management are now Actual Tories.

EDIT - vaguely relatedly it's a shame JW's entire run is going to be, well, this. She deserved so much more (so much more)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

To be fair, it's now appropriate for the beige-grey Biden era as well.

Just a tragic waste of her talents, and time.

It's also strange what this series has done to my perception of time -- though it could just be my deep ambivalence, it just feels like the last two series have just sort of slid by in a flash, barely existing, while the first two Smith and Capaldi series, for all their bumps, still felt so much more weighty and substantial. Even the poo poo episodes couldn't slow that sort of momentum too much.

True, the kind of deathly gothic atmosphere of Biden era liberalism definitely fits the flat, dour tone of Chibnall's run.

And yeah, I thought exactly the same thing when I read that today. I suppose it doesn't help that 2020 was essentially an un-year.