Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

marktheando posted:

Oh hey, I've just reached Human Nature/Family of Blood in my rewatch. That three episode stretch including Utopia is so loving good. It's just a shame it was followed up by some of the worst most stupid poo poo ever seen in this programme.

John Simms' Master has grown on me over the years, and there are scenes in Sound of Drums/Last of the Timelords I love, but the Doctor turning into a goblin until everyone prays to him is still incredibly stupid and bad. What the gently caress were you thinking RTD?

I definitely feel like RTD had the idea of the Master being much more explicitly a dark mirror to the Doctor, and you can see that Simm's performance is basically the worst qualities of Ten(nant) cranked up to max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think those early appearances soured people on Simm in kind of the same way I was soured on Chris Pine until I saw him in stuff other than the JJ Abrams Star Treks. A "Oh, he's not a bad actor, he's just good at taking direction and they WANTED him to be obnoxious and one-note" feeling.