Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I've been rewatching some of my favourite episodes recently, and I swear he never blinks at all after becoming Son of Mine. It's the most offputting thing about a performance that's chock full of 'em. It's creepy as heck and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Just watched the special now and it felt like an attempt to do a big, bombastic special the way he thinks RTD would have done one. But, well, that was hampered by it being an episode Written By Chris Chibnall.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Rochallor posted:

• Graham and Ryan departing gets all of what, 30 seconds of setup? But they're such empty characters who even gives a poo poo.

To be fair, the scene with just the Doctor and Ryan was the setup for that. That conversation made it super obvious that Ryan was gonna leave, and that in turn means Graham was definitely gonna leave too.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I kinda wonder how much the show would be improved if they separated the behind the scenes management and head writer duties into two different roles. After Moffat blundered juggling both sides of it so hard in season 5 that it took literally years to fix, it feels like an idea that's long overdue.

Chibnall might be good at the managerial stuff, I genuinely don't know there, but he's clearly lacking massively as a lead writer. He's written like one genuinely good episode of the show, seemingly by accident. Having someone else in charge of just the writing, and editing, would help everything from feeling so massively gray and bland on average.

e; Like 'em or not, but RTD and Moffat both had very high highs and also very low lows. Chibnall sure seems to manage half of that. Just, y'know, the wrong half.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I would love if Jodie regenerates into a former companion, says something and is like "oh no, I know that voice."

It'll never happen but this idea really makes me want a full season of Doctor-Donna.