Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Homora Gaykemi posted:

e: also, dunno about the guy they've announced for the new companion one way or the other, but i was kinda hoping they'd spend some time with the Doctor and Yaz so she could have actually developed a character now that there's fewer people aboard

The entire population of Britain will become companions before Yaz gets a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

PriorMarcus posted:

You're the only other person I've seen mention this and it immediately and totally soured me on the episode.

Which a loving joke.

The choice of quote too, whilst I understand it was the start of the book, felt extra loving grotesque.

There's a decent chance that Chibnall did it on purpos. I'm not, to be clear, accusing him of anything--I simply don't know. But he is from TERF Island and in the orbit of people like Gareth Roberts.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Against my better judgment, I watched it. As background watching, it's not terrible I guess. Instead of Chibnall having awful ideas, he's got some pretty interesting ones that are instantly discarded. Daleks as cops? Whatever! Dalek civil war? Blink and you'll miss it. A companion getting controlled by a Dalek? Never mind, the Daleks are defeated by a gun that makes square holes except when they come into contact with a Dalek, apparently.

• With the episodes being so infrequent, each and every time I'm delighted about how good the opening titles are and how bad the Himalayan salt crystals in the TARDIS are.
  • The Doctor giving grief to Jack about committing crimes to get into the prison is infuriating. I hate this loving hall monitor Doctor.
  • Graham and Ryan departing gets all of what, 30 seconds of setup? But they're such empty characters who even gives a poo poo.
  • "Fam" is so stupid and if anybody were ever inclined to watch a single one of these episodes a second time, it would age like milk.

I think I'm officially done with this show until Chibnall is gone. But even then, what kind of talent is this show cultivating? The ability to cram Doctor Who into a Law & Order style format? Whoever comes after is probably going to be pretty similar.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am the only person in this thread who thinks Rosa is a good episode.

The first half-ish is pretty great and then it shits the bed with the utterly insipid plan of "make sure people get on the bus." How you look at the civil rights movement and decide that the climax of your story should consist of ensuring the correct number of people are riding on a bus is so baffling to the point that it ruins the rest of the episode. That's the kind of plot you'd have in a story aimed at like seven year olds when you want to teach them who Rosa Parks is but not what racism is.

Oh, and there's a non-racist asteroid in the future. Not as far in the future as the racist guy who was the villain, mind you.

I've harped on this before, but the episode that's basically a blowie to Amazon is far better constructed and more coherent than the one about Rosa Parks. That's a problem.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Cleretic posted:

I still think that Kerblam had a good message that it had no loving clue how to hit home. If you squint you can see its intention as being against enormous corporations and automation, and empathizing with the terrorist without condoning his methods, they just picked... not the worst way to articulate it all, but not far above it.

Kerblam is for my money the most thematically coherent story of the Chibnall era. mehall hit it on the nose, it's mealy mouthed liberalism. Specific cases of exploitation are bad, but not an indictment of the system. However, taking action to change things is also bad. Somehow the technocrats will figure out a solution, ideally involving a committee or study.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Timby posted:

While I agree, generally, that some of it has to do with uncertainty over the spelling of her surname (God kills a puppy every time someone types "Ecclestone"), I fear that the use of her first name is also rooted in paternalism.

It's possible there's some of that, but also worth noting that there's another very significant Whittaker in the history of the show.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Day of the Daleks is a highly underrated serial, it's one of the first stories to really play around with time travel and it has an excellent supporting villain.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ehhhh, it’s two halves of the same coin really. Chibnall is a poo poo writer but Moffat was a godawful showrunner. Whitaker would have only gotten a handful of budget-crunched specials so far under Moffat.

You might want to check how many episodes have gotten out under Chibnall.

Really, the fact that both Moffat and Chibnall, who have extensively TV experience, have had such trouble with consistent schedules suggests that some major behind the scenes changes are needed. Though who knows how viable that is under the current admin.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Flight Bisque posted:

I've just watched the new episode.

The Doctor.... just let Chris Noth get away with it. No repercussions, no consequences, not even a scolding.

I just cannot get over that. When I saw him in the preview, I thought for sure, they're bringing him back after the spider episode just to get his comeuppance.

I'm... baffled.

Doing literally anything to stop the bad guy makes you just as bad, if not worse, than the bad guy, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SiKboy posted:

They could have just introduced a new character as "billionaire tech guy" just like they introduced a new character to be "Too dumb to live scientist" and "Theresa May". There was no real reason for it to be a known character, its not like the plot hinged on it being specifically this guy.

Or they could have have made the collaborator Theresa May and try and actually say something about pol--ah, hold on, I've just been informed that the most competent episode the showrunner ever wrote is titled Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.