Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
So judging from the OP, is the Charlotte Pollard spin-off series generally not considered to be good by fans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

John Simm in the The Doctor Falls was great, because of how much better he was than the RTD version. His beard, the more cynical, mature and calculating version of the character was so much better written than the "act like a crazy person" take. I've liked John Simm in other things, but didn't take to his Master - but that episode won me over, and left me wanting more of that version of the character.

It's interesting, because the original motivation of the character - aside from taking over the world - was the desperate desire to extend his own lifespan past 13 incarnations by any means, regardless of how insane, dangerous or unethical. But now he's got a new regeneration cycle, now what? The fun of the character is that he almost wants the Doctor to foil his plans, and it's like a game between them, because deep down, they're still friends, despite it all - Moffat leaned hard into that with Missy (the Alex McQueen incarnation and the Eighth Doctor have a great bit in Dark Eyes 3 that breaks down the dynamic between the two).

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I think those early appearances soured people on Simm in kind of the same way I was soured on Chris Pine until I saw him in stuff other than the JJ Abrams Star Treks. A "Oh, he's not a bad actor, he's just good at taking direction and they WANTED him to be obnoxious and one-note" feeling.

John Simm is doing the Master anniversary special for Big Finish, maybe he'll do some more appearances as the older version of his Master in the future.
Listening to the Masterful trailer, it was a bit confusing as to who was talking, or what was going on, but it seems ambitious.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Big Finish are having a Dalek sale for the next week.

I'm torn between The War Doctor or The Eighth Doctor Time War series, since the bundles are discounted right now. For me, 8 is the definitive audio Doctor, so I was going to carry on with the boxsets as budgeting allowed, but since the War Doctor series is finished (for sad reasons), I'm leaning towards that. The Eighth Doctor Time War has got good reviews, but they seem to imply that the ending leaves another installment possible, so I might leave that for now, so I can get it in a future bundle. Is the War Doctor worth it for £56?

I'm also probably going to get Patient Zero, since the 6th/Charley audios are rarely discounted. Anything else that's essential listening in regards to the Daleks? I already have Davros on CD, and it's on spotify too.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Ryan always seemed like a...kinda there character, like they didn't give the actor enough to do. Same with Yaz. Graham was the strongest out of the three, but it was Bradley Walsh playing himself.

Even though the timeless child thing was dumb, its nice to see the show embracing the continuity and weirdness of Doctor Who more, because Whittaker's first season kinda held the franchise at arm's length. John Barrowman just fitted in smoothly as Jack again, and was a lot of fun. I like Chris Noth, but his character felt a little cartoony. The Doctor killing a TARDIS was a bit weird in hindsight, because she knows that they're living beings with will, especially after she apologies to the one she abandoned last season.

The Daleks have had a pretty good time recently with Time Lord Victorious, and while it wasn't as good as that, it was a very solid Dalek story.

I was hoping from the promos that the prison break was going to be a bigger part of the episode. I have a soft spot for prison break stories, and there's a lot of things that could have been done with 13 in a prison setting aside.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Honestly, I never liked Ryan and Yaz as companions, because they basically had no character, and didn't give the actors anything to do or work with most of the time. Bradley Walsh is charismatic, but Graham was basically just him playing himself. They were a big downgrade from Bill Potts.

So who actually ran the prison - I thought the Judoon were just bounty hunters who captured fugitives and delivered them for trial? And if the Judoon arrested the Doctor for crimes committed as Ruth, why didn't they do so previously? The Timeless Child retcon just brings out so many plot holes and nonsense questions - it didn't make the character of the Doctor more mysterious, just underminded a lot of other stories.

The Doctor got bored of the Time Lords, stole a TARDIS with his grand daughter, learnt how to become a hero, and started having adventures in space and time, that's all you need as an origin story.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

When the Doctor was talking about the bedtime story being a 'classic', I thought they were going to do a little continuity nod to a classic serial, those are cute when done well.There's just so much more than could have been done with the Doctor in prison, it feels like wasted potential that it was just used as a set-up for the "companions sad" plot element.

It's odd that whenever you mention Doctor Who, people smugly reply that they haven't watched it since David Tennant left, which is a shame, because they missed some fun stuff. I liked Moffat's run on the show a lot, especially with the 12th Doctor. Actually, the 12th Doctor was great overall.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Dabir posted:

Show still not really worth watching, eh? Shame.

I didn't think it was half as bad as some people did, and Jodie Whittaker is really good as the Doctor.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Agreed.

Not mentioned yet was the discordance of the conversation between Ryan and the Doctor during their inexplicably long travel to Osaka.

Ryan: Man, you left us for 10 months. Cold. So, how was your trip back home anyway?

Doctor: Everyone and thing is dead and destroyed.

Ryan: You know a lot changes in 10 months right? I got me mates right?

:psyduck:

Did the Doctor even mention the prison to them? I can't remember now.
I wonder if the line about having bad blood between the Doctor and Dalek saucers in the time vortex was meant to be a sneaky Time Lord Victorious nod?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Wiping out the Time Lords was a bad move too, after RTD and Moffat spent ages on the Doctor overcoming war guilt, and looking at his complex relationship off screen. Moffat's run ended with the Time Lords back on the board, but as a shadow of their former selves, wondering which direction they should take their society in. That's interesting, and offers some good opportunities for story telling and exploring the Doctor's character!

Then the Master is "lol I killed them". It took the Daleks, like what, 400 years to destroy the Time Lords in a massive war that broke the universe, and the Master killed them...offscreen. By himself. Because the Doctor's new backstory upset him?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

There were fun bits in Kerblam - the Doctor's excitement at getting a delivery was a charming character moment, as was the Fez gag, Lee Mack was a good guest star, when they bothered with the satire, some of it worked, and the delivery bots had that classic Doctor Who "half creepy, half endearing" design.

Also, Big Finish are having a Master themed sale right now, as well as a Dalek one. I got the Master trilogy for a tenner.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The Time Lords have been shown to be able to give fresh regeneration cycles before: they gave the Master a new one for the Time War, despite him having wasted all of his regenerations already, not being in a Gallifreyian body at the time, and also being quite dead. The Timeless Child was a retcon by a new showrunner.

As far as I can figure it out, for the Master, across strictly canon stuff it goes: Delgado (13th incarnation of the original body), Beevers (failed regeneration attempt), Ainley (stolen Tremas body), Tipple (who might a body double be the Ainley version), Roberts (GCI snake in human body), McQueen (New cycle!), possible other War incarnations, if the Titan comics are canon, Jacobi (War), Simms (sans beard, but later has beard), Gomez (Missy), Mckee and Dhawan.

The Master's timeline is confusing and has been heavily retconned and altered by different writers, but that's the nature of the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Isn't the low budget and cheese part of the charm of Doctor Who? Making it a prestige show would be missing the point.