Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I've always wanted to do that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l15eSAmoDEc

How are you this fine Christmas Day? It's fine, I guess. There's a new episode of Doctor Who coming on New Year's Day, and then we have to wait for them to finish the next season. We're lucky to be getting ANY new Doctor Who, given the pandemic, so I'm not mad they're only making eight episodes (as opposed to the Chibnall-standard 11).

When we last left our hero, she was trapped in a prison that looks an AWFUL BIT like Shada, while Yaz, Ryan, and Graham are back in Sheffield. What now? Well, if the episode title gives any indication, there will be Daleks. Also, Captain Jack Harkness will appear in the special, hopefully actually meeting the Doctor for the first time in over a decade. Maybe this episode will explain things about last season and have them make sense, but I doubt it.

The previous thread can be found here. Now for the formalities.

NO SPOILERS gently caress it, I don't know what we do about spoilers now
We have a designated spoiler thread, but under Chibnall the amount of spoilers have dried like the lake in that one episode. Use your best judgement. Episode titles can be spoiler-y, so use discretion when discussing episodes yet to air. For example, 'Hide' doesn't spoil anything, but 'OH poo poo IT'S THE DALEKS' does.

WHERE DO I START?
The Woman Who Fell to Earth is a good starting point, as the current Doctor makes her first starring appearence there alongside her current companions. This is not to discount Doctors 9-12, but so far their stories have not made a major point in the tenure of Whittaker's Doctor. If you want to watch the original series, there are plenty of places to start. You COULD start with An Unearthly Child and watch everything in chronological order. You could also watch individual serials of all the Doctors and determine which you like the best. Keep in mind, don't shotgun a whole Hartnell or Troughton in one go, or else you'll get complacent. Those 60's episodes are meant to be seen one at a time, and if you only just rented the DVD, wait a few hours between episodes.

The most popular serials for the original series you can jump into are:

First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs
Second Doctor: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Enemy of the World
Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Fourth Doctor: Pyramids of Mars, The Robots of Death
Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Frontios
Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
Seventh Doctor: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

WHERE CAN I WATCH DOCTOR WHO?
BritBox is the place to watch almost every episode of the original series. In addition, you're in luck if you're an American, as you can watch the original run of Doctor Who on honest-to-goodness TV (Retro TV and some PBS stations)!

For the current run:

ON TELEVISION
UK - BBC One (first run), W
USA - BBC America (first run), most PBS stations
Canada - CTV Sci-Fi
Australia - ABC (first run), ABC ME, Syfy

STREAMING
UK - BBC iPlayer, Sky Go
USA - HBO Max
Canada - Crave
Australia - Stan, Prime Video

SHOULD I BUY THE DVDs AND BLU-RAYs?
Just for the bonus features alone.

THE NOT-AT-ALL BRIEF GUIDE TO BIG FINISH
There are literally thousands of Doctor Who and Doctor Who-related audio dramas released by Big Finish Productions. This is not a post telling you what audio dramas to listen to, because everyone has an opinion that is different from everyone else (some people like Minuet in Hell, believe it or not). This is a post telling you the basic info on the different series of titles there are. I'm only covering ongoing ranges, since devoting a paragraph to the Stage Plays seems a bit silly. If you're wondering why I'm about to spend a good portion of the OP about audio dramas, you are clearly new to the Doctor Who thread.

The Monthly Adventures
Since 1999, Big Finish have released, on a consistent basis, mostly standalone stories featuring the Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh (formerly including Eighth) Doctors. Ending this March after 275 releases.

The Fourth Doctor Adventures
Tom Baker gets his own line of releases.

The Eighth Doctor Adventures / Dark Eyes / Doom Coalition / The Eighth Doctor - The Time War / Ravenous / Stranded
Paul McGann's Doctor also gets his own line. Goons love 'em.

The Tenth Doctor Adventures
David Tennant reprises his role in mini-seasons every chance he can get, and the results are very RTD-like. In a good way!

The Companion Chronicles / The Early Adventures
This is important: SOME OF THESE ARE NOT AUDIO DRAMAS. These are "enhanced audiobooks" for the most part, which means that one person does all the parts while another gives narration, but also contains sound effects and music cues. The Companion Chronicles originally were one-handers, but now may contain small casts, which the Early Adventure always have.

The Ones with Fake Doctors
The First Doctor Adventures, the Third Doctor Adventures, and the Ninth/Tenth/Eleventh/Twelveth Doctor Chronicles feature people who are not the original actors playing the roles of the title Doctor. If you're OK with that, by all means give them a try.

Spinoffs
There are a ton of these, ranging from good (I, Davros) to who gives a poo poo (anything involving a companion from the audio series).

THE DISCORD
Here it is. The future is now!

FINALLY, let's take a look back....all the way to ten years ago! Behold, dramatic irony!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't mind River Song. I just kinda hope we don't get an explanation of her. She's better all mysterious.

SMASHCUT TO SEASON 32

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hey!

There's new Doctor Who tomorrow!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Davros1 posted:

2021 will be the 25th anniversary of the TV movie.

Wow, 25 years since I became obsessed with Doctor Who.

I was seven years old, OK?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
e: f,b

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
That certainly was an episode of Doctor Who written by Chris Chibnall.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, that's one more Doctor for the 60th Anniversary.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Everyone knows you refer to the Twelfth Doctor's actor as P-Cap.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Season 39 is where Jack Robertson (I had to look up that character's name) teams with Tzim-Sha for some MacGuffin that is never defined.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Doctor Who and The Shoes That Fit Perfectly

We have our new thread title for the hiatus thread!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jerusalem posted:

I agree with Big Mean Jerk, there should be a televised 8th Doctor Adventures that runs during the off-season between new episodes of modern Who :hai:

I keep telling you this, but that would just give the misogynists ammo for their 'not my Doctor' movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hiatus thread