Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I definitely feel like RTD had the idea of the Master being much more explicitly a dark mirror to the Doctor, and you can see that Simm's performance is basically the worst qualities of Ten(nant) cranked up to max.

RTD was very explicit about that. When asked about the Master in an interview, of whether he saw him as a friend for the Doctor, he replied that he didn't and saw him as more of a dark mirror. Don't remember the exact words or where the interview was, though, so take this with a grain of salt, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Tinkerbell Jesus is silly, but it doesn't ruin the episode IMO. The way it's solved is kind of weak in that it's just not explained or set up very well, but I've never felt the sort of visceral hatred for it so much of the fandom seems to feel.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I'd only be okay with that if the monsters continued to be produced on a shoestring budget. I feel like the fact they get basically no money for them leads to some much better designs.

If you ever want to either laugh or cringe in horror, I highly suggest looking at the designs for the Daleks and the 'Cybs' (a take on the Cybermen) from the planned big-ish-budget American Who reboot in the 90s. Know that THAT'S what could await if we give Who's monster designs a budget.

This seems like a stretch. The fact that an American co-production came up with questionable designs does not somehow mean that the only way for Doctor Who to have good monsters is to have a low budget.