Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Oh, the round things! I always loved the round things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bilirubin posted:

What are the round things?

No idea.

Rhyno posted:

I have to be honest, i have extremely low expectations for the special.

Not a bad mindset to have - that way you're not disappointed if it's mediocre, and if it's good, you can be pleasantly surprised

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"I've always wanted to see that done properly."
:allears:
What fourth wall?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

One year we're going to have more new threads for this show than actual episodes of the show :ohdear:

Time to start naming them after the audios and novels!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I enjoyed it well enough

Only major gripe was letting Trump live

Felt rather rushed at the start though

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Harry Potter's fine with its Roald Dahl escapism fantasy

drat shame about the author though - hoo boy...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chibbers does all these grand things that - like a house of cards - falls apart if you stop and think about them for more than a minute

Thirty seconds if you're operating in that weird mental clarity brought on by sleep deprivation

I don't think the Doctor would spend more than a few hours moping about something - especially not in prison, made all the more glaring that five minutes back with the fam she goes "I'm the Doctor regardless of what's been done to me."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sometimes the TARDIS magically takes off the instant the doors close, other times the Doctor actually has to walk to the console to put in the time and date and throw the lever

Sometimes we see it instantly materialize after it takes off, other times we see it zooming through the time vortex and we get some introspection and exposition

Consistency, in my Doctor Who? pff

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Really should've used Rocktor Who for Series 10 though

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Time for a story. One that started as a mild curiosity in a junkyard and turned into quite a tale of adventure through space and time..."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ukoddball/status/1345159447514140676

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'll miss Walsh, but he did tend to overshadow everyone else, so it may be a blessing in disguise?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The scene with them at the house-TARDIS was the setup, since Ryan was reluctant there too, and it was obvious he'd moved on with his life

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1346139661375303686

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Speaking of gay as hell, the Corsair and Thirteen are adorable together in Old Friends

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Anyone else feel like John Bishop has been added to next season to temper the optics of having just 13 and Yaz together?

I think he's there so they don't have to write anything for Yaz

At least 13 is nice to her and it's not a 1:1 retread of 10 and Martha

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MrL_JaKiri posted:

They also have the title sequence as the background animation for the mind analysis device* which implies that, well, I have no idea what it implies.

*No! Not the mind analysis device!

The title sequence is the Doctor having his mind probed* and then we see the stories it's looking at - perhaps it's him as the Curator jotting down his memoirs

*What. No. Not the mind probe.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Yaz sure was there and got along great with Jack

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Master with the Cyberiad, standing in the ruins of Gallifrey with an army of hybrid Time Lords

Well, I guess that solves Series 9's little puzzle quite nicely, doesn't it?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

*checks*

Doctor Who is 1.5 million per episode

Mandalorian is 15 million per episode

:stonklol:

God, imagine Doctor Who with that amount of time and budget.. :allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Right, time to reduce the budget back down to 2000 per episode, or less

Remember David introducing the 50th special? That's all you get

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Congratulations on the monopoly

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rhyno posted:

The head seen in Dalek is the "Revenge of" design isn't it?

Turns out Revenge was a multi-Doctor story - Nine was just always slightly to the left of the camera the entire time

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nine is 800 at the start of Rose, 900 after he comes back and says "Did I mention it travels in time?" and Ten mentions he's 904 in the 50th, so...

Impossible Astronaut posted:

"Since when do you drink wine?"
"I'm 1103."
"You were 908 last time I saw you."

I mean, yes, he's been vague about his age, but during the Moffat Era, they at least tried to be a little consistent with it, or he could be saying that so it doesn't sound like he's ditching them for centuries at a time...

Or maybe it really doesn't matter and they'll write Nine adventuring as he pleases at any point in time because hahaha continuity in Doctor Who hahaha

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doctor: I do not sneak out at night to parties with River Song!
Amy: How is she?
Doctor: Fine.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's a shame they don't do minisodes as often anymore

Give me Thirteen and Yaz sharing a biscuit, or Graham getting the "here's everyone the Doctor's traveled with" treatment like Amy and Clara did

"Gandalf, I am space Gandalf, the little green one from Star Wars."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

It's probably never occurred to Chibnall to do them. He really doesn't seem to have any sense of fun.

He wrote Pond Life though

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1348932947496357890

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1349296298428661760