Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

God I loved that episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Ah. Well he... Uh, you know he was, um. Sometimes the less said...? Anyway, goodbye Philip.

he did write what many say is a classic

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i guess i was too caught up in the moment of having new Doctor Who to watch and Captain Jack being back properly and everything to really think anything other than "yeah, i thought it was alright :shrug:"

i did appreciate having some companions just choosing to stop travelling with the Doctor for a change instead of being trapped in an alternate universe or having their memories wiped or married off to Mickey. they definitely should have had Ryan succeeding in riding the bike at the end if they were going to call back to that whole thing, though

also, yeah, terrible time to be having the Doctor recite Harry Potter to herself

e: also, dunno about the guy they've announced for the new companion one way or the other, but i was kinda hoping they'd spend some time with the Doctor and Yaz so she could have actually developed a character now that there's fewer people aboard

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 1, 2021

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Tennant is gonna be in May's monthly Torchwood audio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Go6ytqc_E

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm going to show my old age here and say it always makes me cringe when the Doctor quotes or references relatively recent pop culture stuff. Like I don't mind him referencing Shakespeare or Dickens or Alice in Wonderland, but referencing some modern pop-culture ephemera (as in, it's popular nowadays and likely will be completely forgotten in the next 25-50 years) like Harry Potter sounds like a show that's desperately trying to convince the audience of just how cool and hip and "with it" it is. It's probably just me projecting my disdain for most pop culture trends upon the show, though, but it always just kinda irks me when it happens. I feel like something should be exceptionally good to grab the attention of a nigh-immortal time-traveling alien, and Harry Potter books ain't that (to say nothing of the problematic pile of crap J.K. Rowling's become).

Harry Potter is already nearly 25 years old, I don't know why you're talking like it's some new thing that people are gonna forget

Like, the cultural cache it has is part of the reason Rowling's bigotry is so harmful compared to the average transphobe

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

I'm choosing to interpret it along the lines of "this character, who is now arguably a trans icon, is reclaiming a story from a TERF and using it to bring herself comfort"

cis people don't get to choose what to "reclaim" from terfs

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Also we do seem to give things made by lovely men a pass,

Relevant to Dr. Who and transphobes, Big Finish quietly dropped the Gimme Gimme Gimme guy as one of their audio original Masters after his Glinnering got too much for them to ignore, and Gareth Roberts had a story dropped from a published anthology when other writers said they didn't want their work associated with his odious views

But yes, the fact that Rowling is alive and profiting off the work and using the influence it gives her to actively harm trans people is a pretty big difference to the racist dude that has been dead for 80 years!

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

But I have friends, mostly women, who cannot give up HP. What are they going to do, get their entire Hogwarts sleeve removed? One told me reading HP as a young teen gave them hope because they had a really lovely home life growing up, but she is really pissed off about the whole thing due to her younger sibling being a trans person and just in general.

i mean, there's a difference between someone maintaining a connection to a work that was personally significant to them or even just continuing to enjoy the books, and someone having the hero of their tv show advertise them now that we know that the author is poo poo

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't disliked the last couple of seasons as much as some but it's hard to feel too excited about whoever is gonna be the Doctor after Whittaker when Chibbers hanging around means they're likely to end up as wasted as she was

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
everyone saw what happened to Colin Baker after he said he'd want to beat Tom's record and decided not to chance it

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

One small EXTREMELY minor correction- Beavers was supposed to be the same Master as Delgado, just after getting mortally wounded and refusing to die. The Master's willpower to refuse death is why he could body hop to begin with

Also, since the "here's all the Masters" post that I assume you're replying to mentions Big Finish stuff, it's worth noting that the audios have the Tremas body being blasted away with Beavers' Master revealed underneath and continuing on again contemporary to the 7th Doctor after that

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Love and Monsters rules, actually :colbert:

(Jackie chewing out the guy that's just had all his friends eaten by a monster for being rude to her daughter, and gross pavement slab blowjob joke notwithstanding)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Doctor Who and The Shoes That Fit Perfectly