Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

York_M_Chan posted:

Dinosaurs On A Spaceship is on now on the BBC America marathon. I forgot Chibnall wrote this one. It is so much fun, it's weird that's exactly what I feel is missing from Chibnall's time as showrunner.

Chinball's run to me suffers from a lack of focus? Like the themes and episode seem to be everywhere. I generally liked his first season but that 2nd season landed with a thud to me because it petered out with none of the ideas landing anywhere. I also don't like the generally way his episodes are directed/shot. It feels like a step back in term of action, like too dark, too gray?

Still, the first Capaldi season was still I think the "worst" of the bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

marktheando posted:

Oh hey, I've just reached Human Nature/Family of Blood in my rewatch. That three episode stretch including Utopia is so loving good. It's just a shame it was followed up by some of the worst most stupid poo poo ever seen in this programme.

John Simms' Master has grown on me over the years, and there are scenes in Sound of Drums/Last of the Timelords I love, but the Doctor turning into a goblin until everyone prays to him is still incredibly stupid and bad. What the gently caress were you thinking RTD?

They could of done so much better by Martha in that finale.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I kinda like Chris Noth as a 13 exclusive villan who is just a rich American prick.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Raccoonboy posted:

silly question: dont humans know about daleks by this point??

Timey Wimey.

Also UNIT no longer exists due to budget cuts.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Insecure, I WAS RAS AL GULD

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I gotta admit that scene where the Daleks almost eat Jack and Yaz was cool and made the Daleks feel threatening.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Yah this episode wasn't bad, heck it isn't even close to the worst Dalek episode since the revival. It just not got to a big high. I think someone just nailed it in that Chinball is kind of adverse to risk taking.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
She's also probably the nicest of the doctors.

Its strange you have a doctor with a bunch of enthusiasm and energy and grace and you'd think they would do some grand adventuring with that type of character but meh.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Homora Gaykemi posted:

I haven't disliked the last couple of seasons as much as some but it's hard to feel too excited about whoever is gonna be the Doctor after Whittaker when Chibbers hanging around means they're likely to end up as wasted as she was

It's weird right? Her first season was good, the second season had some things going for it and the tremendous thud kinda drained momentum.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I am the only person in this thread who thinks Rosa is a good episode.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

My boyfriend and I were just discussing Rosa the other day. He’s black, so I defer to his opinion. We agreed that the writing felt incredibly brittle, like it was well aware the subject matter was murky waters, especially for Doctor Who, but the writers were absolutely walking on eggshells the entire time in order to not cause any offence. As such, the story itself has zero life. There’s no drama, no stakes, plus the subject matter forces the Doctor into taking a very secondary role so was not to remove agency from the protesters and Rosa Parks.

My whole thing about what that makes that episode good (if a bet heavy handed) is that Graham saying he doesn't want to do this anymore, he doesn't want to be causing the pain that's going on but its clearly a metaphor for those who sit on the sidelines and let this stuff happen to oppressed people. And given what is/was happening in the United States hit close to home that there are people who feel because they aren't actively racist they are helping.

But I guess I was wrong, I just remember the thread reaction of people saying it was a meh episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:hmmyes:

I’m just picturing the Doctor and the Master getting caught in the same explosion, and when the dust clears they both stand up, see each other’s faces, and go “...what? WHAT?“ right before the music swells and credits roll.

Kinda like that Quantum Leap episode where lighting strikes and Al and Sam switch places, only not evil.

Also, its just a rumor that Jodie Whittaker is leaving right?