Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One year we're going to have more new threads for this show than actual episodes of the show :ohdear:

Edit: Also, as always, shameless self-advertising: An index of the write-ups I've done for all the Revival Episodes so far, as well as the (distressingly large number) of Big Finish Audios I've listened to so far.

Be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

Television
8th Doctor - TV Movie: The Enemy Within | The Night of the Doctor
War Doctor - The Day of the Doctor
9th Doctor - Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways
10th Doctor - The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday | The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Blink | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash | Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | The Unicorn and the Wasp | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End | The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time
11th Doctor - The Eleventh Hour | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol | The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe | Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor
12th Doctor - Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas | The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake/Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent | The Husbands of River Song |The Return of Doctor Mysterio | The Pilot | Smile | Thin Ice | Knock Knock | Oxygen | Extremis | The Pyramid at the End of the World | The Lie of the Land | Empress of Mars | The Eaters of Light | World Enough and Time | The Doctor Falls | Twice Upon A Time
13th Doctor - The Woman Who Fell to Earth | The Ghost Monument | Rosa | Arachnids in the UK | The Tsuranga Conundrum | Demons of the Punjab | Kerblam! | The Witchfinders | It Takes You Away | The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos | Resolution | Spyfall Part 1/Part 2 | Orphan 55 | Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror | Fugitive of the Judoon | Praxeus | Can You Hear Me? | The Haunting of Villa Diodati | Ascension of the Cybermen | The Timeless Children

Television Gifs
William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi | Jodie Whittaker

Audios
4th Doctor Adventures - Season One
5th Doctor - Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | The Mutant Phase | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Exotron | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye | The Bride of Peladon | The Haunting of Thomas Brewster | The Boy That Time Forgot | Time Reef | The Judgement of Isskar | The Destroyer of Delights | The Chaos Pool | Castle of Fear | The Eternal Summer | Plague of the Daleks
6th Doctor - Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | ...ish | The Sandman | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D | The Wishing Beast | 100 | The Condemned | Assassin in the Limelight | The Doomwood Curse | Brotherhood of the Daleks | Return of the Krotons | The Raincloud Man | Patient Zero | Paper Cuts | Blue Forgotten Planet
7th Doctor - The Fearmonger | The Genocide Machine | The Fires of Vulcan | The Shadow of the Scourge | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-a-Boom! | The Dark Flame | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time | The Dark Husband | The Death Collectors | Kingdom of Silver | Forty-Five | The Magic Mousetrap | Enemy of the Daleks | The Angel of Scutari | A Thousand Tiny Wings
8th Doctor - Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was | The Company of Friends
8th Doctor Adventures Blood of the Daleks | The Horror of Glam Rock | Immortal Beloved | Phobos | No More Lies | Human Resources | Dead London | Max Warp | Brave New Town | The Skull of Sobek | Grand Theft Cosmos | The Zygon Who Fell to Earth | Sisters of the Flame | The Vengeance of Morbius | Orbis | The Hothouse | The Beast of Orlok | Wirrn Dawn | The Scapegoat | The Cannibalists | The Eight Truths | Worldwide Web | Death in Blackpool | (Bonus) An Earthly Child | Situation Vacant | Nevermore | The Book of Kells | Deimos/The Resurrection of Mars | Relative Dimensions | Prisoner of the Sun | Lucie Miller/To The Death | Dark Eyes 1
The War Doctor - Only the Monstrous | Infernal Devices | Agents of Chaos | Casualties of War
10th Doctor Adventures - Volume 1 | Volume 2
Big Finish Specials - The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion | UNIT: Extinction | UNIT: Shutdown | UNIT: Silenced | UNIT: Assembled | UNIT: Encounters | The Diary of River Song Volume 1 | The Diary of River Song Volume 2 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 1 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 2 | The War Master Volume One

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Harry Lloyd! He's really good, he also played a villain in the first season of Game of Thrones and was very good in that too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've said it before but I love that the Simms Master is SUCH a dick that he literally murdered a later incarnation of himself simply so he could win an argument.... with himself.

I used to joke for years that there should be a story where two Masters end up scheming against each other and somehow the earlier version wins... and then Moffat only went and did it, the madman.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Delgado Master: Possibly killed by Daleks?
Beevers Master: Possessed a Trakenite body
Tipple Master: Killed by Daleks, turned into a loving snake
Snake Master: Possessed a human body
Roberts Master: Shoved into the Eye of Harmony (then did some Big Finish)
Macqueen Master: ????
Jacobi Master: Shot by his apprentice with her Chan and her Tho, driving him INSANE! :argh:
Simm Master: Stabbed to death by a future incarnation
Gomez Master: Shot to death by a prior incarnation
Dhawan Master: Last seen at ground zero exposure to a device that kills all life (and thus he is presumed alive and well).

There are some Big Finish Masters in there too but I'm not caught up on those yet.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 30, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

HOW DARE YOU FORGET JACOBI MASTER

:aaa:

I am a wretch and a fool :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Hey!

There's new Doctor Who tomorrow!

I freaked out over the time difference a few hours ago and thought,"Oh poo poo is there a new Doctor Who on in a couple hours!?! :derp:" and then it turned out no, I would have to wait a whole extra day, which I am confident is the LONGEST anybody has ever had to wait for a new Doctor Who ever :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

2021 will be the 25th anniversary of the TV movie.

Stupid goddamn linear passage of time! :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also there are a bunch of amnesia episodes.

Well yes, they are 8th Doctor stories after all!

Anyway, goddamn FINALLY some new Doctor Who :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

I almost totally forgot this was on tonight! And I'm really struggling to remember how the last series ended.

The Master told the Doctor some lies, then got killed forever (he'll be back soon).

Edit: That's a good explanation for why they're the same design as Resolution!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 1, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Is that the first non-moffat appearance of a weeping angel? (meaning not an episode he wrote or was show runner for)

I think so, yes.

Still determined that those tally marks on the wall are for the number of minutes she's been locked up :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"I forgot you were here" :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha, even the evil billionaire knows this was a terrible idea.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The TARDIS could have redecorated in the meantime :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Who is an expert on weapons technology AND cloning? And we're back with the backpack DALEK I see.

I liked how that worked in Resolution, and this is basically a sequel so I'm okay with that. Just hope it doesn't become the default thing now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm a little confused on the timeline here, did the Dalek start up the Osaka facility BEFORE the guy revealed it to Robertson and was told to destroy it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

He said something about connecting it to something and it recognised systems, so maybe it did it online then? I guess?

Yeah, unless I missed something specifically referencing it I'm assuming this must have been what happened. I do like the idea that it was already pulling some bullshit well before anybody else even knew it existed.

Ironically the episode has been slow paced and then the "Security Drones" get spread out across the country in like 10 seconds of being introduced to the public.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

So the Doctor just sat in prison for 7 thousand years without doing anything about it? :psyduck:

I missed the 7000 year line, earlier she said it had been a few decades? Regardless, I don't like that it was Jack who broke her out, she was way too passive about being imprisoned and I don't buy for a second she wouldn't have been able to figure out a way to escape (or at least caused some problems for her captors).

Edit: Oh yeah, there's the explanation for how the facility got built.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"The Daleks can never know I, the Doctor, am here.... so let's land on the top of the bridge where the Daleks are having their family squabble!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

I feel like the Doctor wouldnt kill a TARDIS.

Yeah that felt really odd. Also I'm trying to remember, that was Ruth's TARDIS right? I thought that was just the Doctor's TARDIS from an earlier period in her life, not an entirely different one? Or have I just completely forgotten where she got the spare from?

Edit: Ryan and Graham leaving feels completely off, like it should be the culmination of an entirely different episode.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 2, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It was a pretty good scene, and Ryan growing up and finding his place in the world seems like a decent end point for the character. But it's come completely out of left-field.

Yeah, I liked that last scene between Ryan and Graham but where the hell did it come from? That whole episode felt weirdly put together, like we're just doing giant public alien invasions and mass deaths and then everything going back to normal stories again? The tone of the thing was all over the place.

And somebody called John Bishop is gonna be the new companion, I have no idea who that is but looking him up he's a footballer/comedian?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

It disguised itself as a semi-detached house. They met in it this episode at the start.

Yeah I saw all that part, I just couldn't remember where it actually came from until I read this...

PriorMarcus posted:

Its the Tardis she used to drop the fam off last episode.

...and remembered they were on Gallifrey in the last episode and that's where they got it from. It's been waaaaay too long between seasons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What a weird episode, it felt like Chibnall trying to ape RTD like he used to do when he was just a writer for the show. Similar to those efforts, he still doesn't seem to quite get why RTD could make stuff like that work (in the moment at least). There were a lot of cool ideas that taken in isolation might work or you could build an episode around, but chained together it was just a jumbled mess. The Doctor was waaaaay too passive, and as a follow-up to the cliffhanger from last season it really fell flat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Raccoonboy posted:

silly question: dont humans know about daleks by this point??

I forget the exactly specifics but it was one of those things that got wiped from the collective memory of humankind, which makes the fact the show did a public alien invasion and mass death thing including killing the Prime Minister (again!) and then just promptly moved on so weird. Chibnall is really not at his best when he's trying to emulate RTD's big, mad, glorious exercises in excess.

OldMemes posted:

I was hoping from the promos that the prison break was going to be a bigger part of the episode. I have a soft spot for prison break stories, and there's a lot of things that could have been done with 13 in a prison setting aside.

If she wasn't just escaping immediately, I was really hoping she was going to be a thorn in the administration's side, constantly getting out of her cell and investigating things, helping out other prisoners, playing cards with some of the guards etc. Kind of a less smug, happier version of River Song, only staying in prison so she can work out some stuff before just escaping whenever she felt like.

I mean hell, look at Missy when she was 12's "prisoner". It was the most advanced and supremely inescapable cage they could make, and both of them agreed that if Missy had wanted to she could have escaped at any time. The Doctor seemingly being legitimately trapped inside felt so off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

I kinda like Chris Noth as a 13 exclusive villan who is just a rich American prick.

On paper it's a fun idea to have him as a recurring guy (plus Chris Noth is pretty cool), but the writing for how he got out of this one felt bizarre.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I'm weirdly bummed that the Doctor was in prison and never broke out to go on an adventure with River.

Big Finish: Oh we'll just see about that!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Narsham posted:

The Dalek responds that even one Dalek has sufficient neural strength to process signals from such an insignificant planet. The Doctor agrees, but says that she doubts the cut-rate electronic equipment Robertson purchased can manage the same. We zoom out to see that she and Yaz are back in GCHQ. The Doctor flips some switches, the control room equipment starts sparking, as do the drones. We see the electronic systems in the drones start shorting. The Fam and Robertson take cover, as we see the Dalek electrocuted and the equipment in the drones starts exploding.
19. Cut to Robertson on TV taking credit for "failsafes" in the drones that caused them to self-destruct. Yaz points out that in a way, Robertson does deserve the credit; Ryan notes that it's because he's such a cheap bastard.

I really enjoyed your breakdown of a potentially different version of the script, but this last part in particular I loved. The Earth being saved because a rich dude was cheap and cut costs to put out a shoddy product on a ridiculously tight deadline would be kinda perfect.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

It was ridiculous.

"The suns in my eyes."

A line delivered in a low angle shot with the sun right above both characters. No ambiguity.

I absolutely could not get over that. They look directly into the sun and then it cuts to a low angle of them standing beneath the sun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

I didn't think it was half as bad as some people did, and Jodie Whittaker is really good as the Doctor.

The casting for the show is really, really good, and Jodie Whittaker is fantastic. The writing is what is letting everything down, and I really wish Chibnall would realize that just because he's the showrunner doesn't meant he has to write 60+ percent of every season, because with rare exceptions his writing for Who has usually been mediocre at best.

Give me more episodes like It Takes You Away please. That was loving awesome.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And the Doctor's reaction to everybody she and her former selves so beautifully saved? Just kind of miffed and then immediately moves on to listen to more of the obvious lies the Master is telling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Who loving knows, eh? Who. loving. knows? :haw:"

Oh wait, sorry that's what Tom actually said in the first take.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cerv posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ntre-of-a-drama

And just count how many Doctor Who toys he’s got on the shelf next to the baftas
Nerd

Plus all those Axos masks he has for some reason! :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that sucks, she's certainly not the issue with the current show. Hopefully it is just a rumor and nothing more.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, remove Chibnall, keep Jodie :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

The biggest issue ends up being the legacy of Jodie's characterization under Chinball and how that's retained under another showrunner. Imagine her Doctor getting one last series, under a platonically good showrunner. What parts of her characterization would be considered worth keeping under their new, temporary tenure?

I think her natural enthusiasm/participation in new experiences is one of her better defining traits - she's very accepting of new (to her) cultures/traditions. I also like that when she's wrong about something and realizes it, she doesn't fight or question the new information but takes it onboard. They're good characteristics for the Doctor to have and make her a good role model, and I'd be keen to see that explored by a writer/showrunner who can use them to best effect.

What I would be happy to see go from her characterization is the passivity that is too often present in her stories, she needs to be more of a driving force for the show, and that's purely a writing issue and not anything to do with her performance.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I pick up my dust covered knife and fork and begin banging it on the table, as the words,"TILDA SWINTON!" again echo down the empty corridors of my "Who I want to be the new Doctor" mansion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Easier to type I would assume.

Yeah, I always have to second guess if I'm spelling Whittaker right (like right now, I double checked just to be on the safe side). Ironically, even though Baker is an incredibly easy name to remember I always called him Tom even before Colin Baker came along, and I always refer to Eccleston as such rather than Chris even though that's another surname I always find myself doublechecking.

In conclusion, how I refer to various Doctors is a land of contrasts, and I am no closer to understanding why I do or don't call any of them by a specific name (or sometimes just number). I hope this helped!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also come on, the writers clearly have stuff like It Takes You Away in their arsenal, more of that! Hire Jamie Mathieson to write some more bonkers poo poo!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am the only person in this thread who thinks Rosa is a good episode.

That's one of the episodes that gets frequently praised!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man that Space Amazon episode... watching it live I was really enjoying it and then it ended and it took like 2 seconds before I went,"Wait... so it actually DID just murder that completely innocent girl and nothing happens about that/there was no twist where it only pretended?" and then I thought 2 seconds more and realized that the terrorist completely achieved his goals and then I realized the moral of the story was both,"Trust the giant corporation and it's algorithm-run management" and "You can achieve your goals through terrorism" and what the gently caress how the gently caress did that episode get made? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is EXACTLY how the producer/script editor dynamic ran in the latter days of Classic Who. Verbatim.