Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Barry Foster posted:

He was thinking 'oh poo poo I have three hours and two packs of cigarettes left before deadline'

Because that was the RTD way

Let's not forget when RTD responded to criticisms of his lazy writing (as in, falling back on stupid tropes, trite scenarios, and deus ex machina in many of his episodes) with astonishment, and words to the effect of "I'm not a lazy writer, I write for hours on end" :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Open Source Idiom posted:

He's not wrong though? He can be hackneyed and indulgent, but using the word lazy is just... well, you'd say lazy, but I'd say wrong.

So did you just skip over the part of my post where I explained what "lazy writing" (which RTD was most assuredly guilty of in the majority of his DW episodes) was or what

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

No, I'm contesting the meaning of the phrase. I'm attempting to argue that when someone says, "no, I'm not a lazy writer", they can be guilty of the stuff you're talking about -- and I agree that RTD can often be so -- but they can also accurately claim not be lazy.

I'm agreeing with you.

In that case, I am in fact guilty of misinterpreting your post myself; as the Second Doctor said to Omega, I am thoroughly repentant. :sweatdrop:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Didn't bother to watch, did the new episode bother to wrap up the "Timeless Child" nonsense, or is that still going to be Chibnall's thing until he finally leaves?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I'm going to show my old age here and say it always makes me cringe when the Doctor quotes or references relatively recent pop culture stuff. Like I don't mind him referencing Shakespeare or Dickens or Alice in Wonderland, but referencing some modern pop-culture ephemera (as in, it's popular nowadays and likely will be completely forgotten in the next 25-50 years) like Harry Potter sounds like a show that's desperately trying to convince the audience of just how cool and hip and "with it" it is. It's probably just me projecting my disdain for most pop culture trends upon the show, though, but it always just kinda irks me when it happens. I feel like something should be exceptionally good to grab the attention of a nigh-immortal time-traveling alien, and Harry Potter books ain't that (to say nothing of the problematic pile of crap J.K. Rowling's become).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Harry Potter is already nearly 25 years old, I don't know why you're talking like it's some new thing that people are gonna forget

Like, the cultural cache it has is part of the reason Rowling's bigotry is so harmful compared to the average transphobe

I get it, and as I say it's likely just me projecting my own curmudgeon-ness towards most pop culture stuff in general. I also realized long ago that nu-Who is not written for me and I'm really not the show's intended audience, so there is that too.

jivjov posted:

Keep in mind that Harry Potter has been around long enough that the TENTH doctor referenced "Book 7" before that book even had a publicly known title. That series was basically THE childhood literature for an entire generation. Referencing Harry Potter is akin to referencing Star Trek or The Lord of the Rings, it's a cultural institution. If it had been a Fantastic Beasts reference, or name dropping the cast from the film versions of something I'd absolutely agree with your stance here, but quoting th first line of Philosopher's Stone doesn't feel super egregious (the way, say, Capaldi mentioning Pokemon Go did) Rowling going full mask off is the regrettable side thing. What could just be a cute reference to a beloved series is now carrying a bunch of baggage. I'm choosing to interpret it along the lines of "this character, who is now arguably a trans icon, is reclaiming a story from a TERF and using it to bring herself comfort"

Yeah, I personally don't get the appeal of HP, but as I said above I also realize I'm not in the audience that the works are being aimed at, so it's just something I find personally irritating when the show does it, is all.

And as you all have pointed out, regardless of whether I like the HP references or not, the fact that Rowling has ultimately revealed herself to be a garbage person means that those once-harmless references now have a lot of baggage associated with them.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

twistedmentat posted:

Also, Harry Potter is hugely important to a lot of people, and even if JKR is a giant piece of poo poo, a lot of those people are not going to just dump what HP means to them. Also we do seem to give things made by lovely men a pass, though HP Lovecraft and Roddenberry are both dead so they're not profiting off the stuff anymore.

Graham Linehan is also a TERF who created/co-created three of my favorite shows of all time (Father Ted, Black Books, and The IT Crowd), and ever since he revealed himself to be a crap person I haven't re-watched any of 'em, nor do I plan to. That's just me, maybe I just have a hard time separating the art from the artist, but it'd just feel wrong to me to watch one of Glinner's shows now. I would imagine there are several people who also had a similar struggle once Rowling revealed herself to be a bad person.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
How were the overall ratings for Jodie's run as the Doctor? I know the woman-hating chudsphere would have us believe they were in the shitter from the word go; but I have the feeling that they likely weren't spectacular, and as a result once Jodie leaves, the Beeb is going to default back to "white male 30s-40s" in order to try and win back viewers that quit watching after Matt Smith (or even Tennant) left.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Rochallor posted:

Kerblam is for my money the most thematically coherent story of the Chibnall era. mehall hit it on the nose, it's mealy mouthed liberalism. Specific cases of exploitation are bad, but not an indictment of the system. However, taking action to change things is also bad. Somehow the technocrats will figure out a solution, ideally involving a committee or study.

Hard to reconcile the Doctor in that story as being the same Doctor (several regenerations removed, granted) that helped overthrow The Company in "The Sun Makers".

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Dragonatrix posted:

I kinda wonder how much the show would be improved if they separated the behind the scenes management and head writer duties into two different roles. After Moffat blundered juggling both sides of it so hard in season 5 that it took literally years to fix, it feels like an idea that's long overdue.

Chibnall might be good at the managerial stuff, I genuinely don't know there, but he's clearly lacking massively as a lead writer. He's written like one genuinely good episode of the show, seemingly by accident. Having someone else in charge of just the writing, and editing, would help everything from feeling so massively gray and bland on average.

e; Like 'em or not, but RTD and Moffat both had very high highs and also very low lows. Chibnall sure seems to manage half of that. Just, y'know, the wrong half.

That's how it used to be in the original series, you had a producer who handled the behind-the-scenes stuff, budgeting, etc., and a script editor who got the scripts from whichever writers had been commissioned for the season and made whatever changes were necessary to try and keep within continuity and avoid unnecessary problems (sometimes just minor changes, sometimes complete rewrites). And it should be important to note that it wasn't until the last few years of the original series that they started hiring writers who'd grown up on it, were fans of it, and really wanted to try and shape the course of the show's direction; most of the writers who'd done the show in the previous years were either working writers who viewed it as another job, or writers with an interest in science fiction or fantasy but weren't necessarily hardcore DW fans. In some cases that was good because they could approach the series with a more objective eye; and in some cases it was bad because you might get a writer who clearly thought the premise of the show was nonsense (at which point the script editor would usually bin the script, and hope he either had a replacement backup script ready to go, or else call Pip & Jane Baker again).

The current way they're doing things is aping the US style of the showrunner being the creative visionary behind a show, which comes with its own set of issues when your showrunner is someone like Chibnall, who seems to basically be "bland fanboy, who also desperately wants to leave their mark on the series' history ".

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Rochallor posted:

It's possible there's some of that, but also worth noting that there's another very significant Whittaker in the history of the show.

Personally as an old :corsair:, I find it helpful otherwise I'd wonder why they cast a balladeer as the Doctor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKdRpDpIR70

:v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Nary a mention of Pertwee's 5-year stint, for shame :colbert:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

I suspect that Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi would have stuck around for the same amount of time as they ever did, but might have filmed more seasons if there had been more seasons to film.

Not a fan of these huge breaks between seasons.

That's my thought as well, if Moffat hadn't so spectacularly bungled the behind the scenes stuff (which necessitated the lengthy breaks), he probably would've gotten at least one more full season out of either Smith or Capaldi, or both.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can’t see them immediately going back to some boring white guy, but then again Chibnall is as dull and uncreative as they come, so :shrug:. Of the top of that list, Peake or Harewood would be cool. Can’t see Dormer doing it, she’s too well known now.

I know the ratings and fan polls don’t really back up this claim, but Capaldi proved you could still do an older Doctor and make it work. I’d like to see them cast an older actress, but I fear you’d have an even bigger chud fan backlash than the one you had over Whittaker.

I don't think Chibnall will be the one pushing for a white guy to take over the role again; but rather, I have the feeling that the Beeb will want to try and recapture the show's height of popularity during the eras of Tennant and Smith. The show doesn't seem to have the worldwide "must see TV" cultural cachet it once had (and that's a pity because, although I still don't watch it, I do think Jodie's a great choice for the role; she's charismatic as hell and her smile is absolutely brilliant), and I can easily see the BBC wanting to cargo cult their way back to the times when DW was hugely popular around the globe.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Jerusalem posted:

Well in 2005 the show was spearheaded by an acclaimed writer who had just written a series about gay youth (which also referenced Doctor Who!). It worked out extremely well, so they should find the closest equivalent to that now. I understand there's a fellow by the name of Russell T Davies currently doing just such a show, complete with references to Doctor Who hmmmmm.... :thunk:

If it's the RTD that actually brought us some really good episodes, then sure. If it's the RTD that gave us "Love and Monsters" and "Fear Her" and whatever that bullshit was with the bus in the desert? I'd rather they just conjured up the ghost of JNT and told him to recreate the feel of McCoy's first season, instead.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I think it's more that Earth in general and the UK in particular, in the DW universe, has seen so many alien invasions that they've become inured to them, so it takes something really spectacular to shake them out of their boredom.

"Dear, the Cybermen and Daleks are battling it out in London again." "Oh, bloody marvellous, that'll delay my train by at least a half-hour today!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Edward Mass posted:

I keep telling you this, but that would just give the misogynists ammo for their 'not my Doctor' movement.

They'd say that no matter what, though, nobody should worry about what they have to say. I don't even watch the show anymore, and I'm still 100% for telling the Jodie haters to eat poo poo.