Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

I finally watched Princess Mononoke, and it's now my favorite anime movie, and possibly my favorite movie period. Beautiful, sombre, and it had genuinely great villains in a movie where arguably everyone was a villain. I watched Akira, which had amazing visuals and atmosphere throughout, even if the story became a bit too much "and then THIS happens!" towards the end. Watching it during the protests of the summer of 2020 was a surreal experience.

I also watched The Twelve Kingdoms, and while the first arc was a bit dull the second arc had great payoff and the third arc was everything I wanted these "whisked away to another world"-type stories to be. The last six episodes were not as great, but given how fantastic an ending episode 39 serves as I don't feel cheated. Maybe I'll hunt down translations of the novels to get the complete story. Dennou Coil was great, and it's vision for augmented reality technology was a joy to see brought to life. It also had the single most bizarre episode of any anime I've ever watched (y'know, the beard episode), which left me both laughing and confused as to how the show could find its way back to the more grounded main storyline. But it did. Finally, Planetes had the best depiction of the beginnings of a space-faring civilization, even if the plot alternates from interesting to more episodic pieces that stall for time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU