Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

OJ Death Footage Released

https://twitter.com/DailySquibs/status/1778478467224375697

Director voice Now when you die make sure you don't put your arm in front of your face in the shot, OK?

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i love this so much

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1780353088110334282

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/unhaunting/status/1780445548757008714

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Carmack's had a few Dipshit Libertarian moments, but this is the most egregious (to me anyrate).

I hope Civvie stops sucking his dick whenever DOOM gets mentioned in one of his reviews.

I think it is possible to realise that talented people can and often do have terrible opinions outside their areas of expertise. In fact one of the problems with techbros is thinking that because they understand one complicated subject then all other subjects should be easy for their big brains to understand.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

exmachina posted:

I think it is possible to realise that talented people can and often do have terrible opinions outside their areas of expertise. In fact one of the problems with techbros is thinking that because they understand one complicated subject then all other subjects should be easy for their big brains to understand.
1) of course it’s possible, everyone realizes this about carmack or they’re moments away from doing so

2) completely separate issue and also found among many professionals (lawyers, doctors, engineers, etc)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
posting on page 386

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/d_feldman/status/1780453671869751772

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

incredibly cyberpunk

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Kenny Logins posted:

1) of course it’s possible, everyone realizes this about carmack or they’re moments away from doing so

2) completely separate issue and also found among many professionals (lawyers, doctors, engineers, etc)

Yeah but my point is that having lovely opinions does not invalidate the fact that Carmack is incredibly talented and Vidya games would not be in the state they are in today if he did not exist. I don't think someone else would have filled that gap completely. Most FPS games today still contain bits of his code.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the Great Man Theory of video games

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

exmachina posted:

Yeah but my point is that having lovely opinions does not invalidate the fact that Carmack is incredibly talented and Vidya games would not be in the state they are in today if he did not exist. I don't think someone else would have filled that gap completely. Most FPS games today still contain bits of his code.

I think carmack gets more credit than he deserves

an example is the fast inverse root magic number where when it was discovered in the q3 source lots of people assumed he came up with it but he did not

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rotor posted:

posting on page 386

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

exmachina posted:

no one would care about his lovely opinions or the fact that he has them if he wasn’t talented. “he’s talented but” is the table stakes imo. i agree denigrating his talent isn’t the way to go here. but his opinions/positions still weigh on his legacy

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

you do not, in fact, gotta hand it to him

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

rotor posted:

posting on page 386

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Usually when people want to give the devil his due it's something he stole to begin with. Not sure whether that's the case with Carmack but I don't think his mark on games is beyond dispute and I don't think his legacy needs to be protected.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Doom, keen, wolf3d were sick as hell and he had his name on like half of all decent VGA shareware for like 3 years.

But if in the future someone puts their brain in a robot and casually "accepts full responsibility" for opening a gateway to hell killing everyone, It'll be John Carmack.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

The Fool posted:

an example is the fast inverse root magic number where when it was discovered in the q3 source lots of people assumed he came up with it but he did not

i dunno i think its extremely funny that for as smart as he apparently is (and ppl like to say, repeatedly), his biggest accomplishment is making a video game 30 years ago or some poo poo

john walked so we can pay $500 to roll for a big titty anime waifu

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah i feel like carmack has been coasting for decades now. Which is as it should be, if i had that guys money i'd never touch a computer again as long as i lived, but the idea that he has some weird repuation to protect or whatever seems off to me. Dude got real rich and seemed to be a good programmer, those guys arent really in short supply around here.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

👁️

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rotor posted:

yeah i feel like carmack has been coasting for decades now. Which is as it should be, if i had that guys money i'd never touch a computer again as long as i lived, but the idea that he has some weird repuation to protect or whatever seems off to me. Dude got real rich and seemed to be a good programmer, those guys arent really in short supply around here.

dude worked crazy hours on mobile VR at Oculus, at least, squeezing perf out of every layer so that you could have 7 minutes of mediocre, poorly-tracked VR before your phone ran out of battery

(it only made it that far without thermal shutdown because we had a magic API from Samsung to disable the thermal limits; throttled down like it would after about 2 mins of play, nothing could hit frame rate targets)

it was kinda cool as a Netflix viewer though, lighter than current headsets

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

IDDQDon't :smuggo:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

it’s guys like Carmack who make a shitload of money and feel they have to defend their reputation are always clowned by Tom who made MySpace, sold it for millions, and has hosed off to just enjoy his life. I think he kind of resurfaced or something a few years back to say something catty about FB or Twitter or something for like one tweet.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

The Fool posted:

lollin at the original code chunk

code:

float Q_rsqrt(float number)
{
long i;
float x2, y;
const float threehalfs = 1.5F;

x2 = number * 0.5F;
y = number;
i = * ( long * ) &y;               // evil floating point bit level hacking
i = 0x5f3759df - ( i >> 1 );              // what the gently caress?
y = * ( float * ) &i;
y = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) ); // 1st iteration
// y = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) ); // 2nd iteration, this can be removed

return y;
}

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

it’s guys like Carmack who make a shitload of money and feel they have to defend their reputation are always clowned by Tom who made MySpace, sold it for millions, and has hosed off to just enjoy his life. I think he kind of resurfaced or something a few years back to say something catty about FB or Twitter or something for like one tweet.

ya he just travels and takes pic mostly

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

MiniFoo posted:

lollin at the original code chunk

code:

float Q_rsqrt(float number)
{
long i;
float x2, y;
const float threehalfs = 1.5F;

x2 = number * 0.5F;
y = number;
i = * ( long * ) &y;               // evil floating point bit level hacking
i = 0x5f3759df - ( i >> 1 );              // what the gently caress?
y = * ( float * ) &i;
y = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) ); // 1st iteration
// y = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) ); // 2nd iteration, this can be removed

return y;
}

i'm less interested in the magic number than wtf is going on with threehalfs

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

pretty sure it's an implementation of newton's method

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
according to Wikipedia, it’s half newton’s method, half that the magic number turns out to provide a very good starting guess for newton’s method

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

you can get this helmet in Elden ring

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

shackleford posted:

i'm less interested in the magic number than wtf is going on with threehalfs

probably trying to get the compiler to keep it around rather than generating 1.5 in a float register every method invocation

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Visions of Valerie posted:

probably trying to get the compiler to keep it around rather than generating 1.5 in a float register every method invocation

i'd be mildly surprised if even the garbage C compilers of the '90s couldn't constant fold that away

starting to suspect this carmack guy isn't even all that great of a programmer

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

shackleford posted:

i'd be mildly surprised if even the garbage C compilers of the '90s couldn't constant fold that away

I don't see a way to eliminate having three constants (as written, 1.5, .5, and i's monster); do you?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

shackleford posted:

Something special happened to make wolf3d a thing. It ran on a 10 year old cpu and people keep making similar first person stuff run on ever shittier hardware so anyone could have came by and made it but they didn't.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

imo Romero deserves more credit than Carmack

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

The Fool posted:

romero wrote the first video game i ever played. this little guy right here https://romero.smugmug.com/Video-Games/Cavern-Crusader

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The Fool posted:

he did make a lot of people his bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

calling the game "big sword" was, perhaps, not his most brilliant strategy