Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

big scary monsters posted:

Or, a bear rampant affronty Sable armed langued Gules holding aloft an HP Deskjet Sable a hug lacking.

is the bear sable or proper, though?

also, I think the background should have been vert and not or, but that's another :can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

FMguru posted:

computer touching: the last honorable profession

https://twitter.com/TurboRational/status/1550532136150544385

what do you expect me to do? learn a trade, work with my hands and make mad bank because all of these computer touchers can't even change a door handle? that is against my personal code of honor

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

ultrafilter posted:

I used to work with data on securities and if any security's alphanumeric identifier was all numbers Excel would store it in scientific notation.
when I started my job I got a huge spreadsheet with bank account numbers that was like this. apparently the person who had this job before me didn't consider it a problem

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

3D Megadoodoo posted:

companies spend millions to write features in programs that are used by billions, but since they decided at some point that "WE WILL NEVER MAKE A MANUAL FOR ANYTHING", literally literally no-one uses any of those features

the absolute worst decision ms ever made about excel was to translate function names, so even if documentation was available, you'd either have to look up the bullshit function name in your local language, or you're going to have to translate the function name used by the $local youtuber into english

it doesn't help that the first pages of results google gives me for any excel questions are 'excel for dutch clowns' sites, just because of where I am located

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
that tweet and the ensuing discussion in this thread actually inspired me to clean out my big box of cables.

I reduced its volume by 60% but if DVI ever becomes the leading video connector again, I'm boned

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

i'm going to ignore the anal eye and just wonder what the anal ear is that they're talking about

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Jonny 290 posted:

ban the loving tiktok speech voice

on the one hand, it democratizes content and ensures that non english speaking folks can also create clips that people everywhere in the world can watch. on the other hand, it's loving horrible and needs to go away immediately

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
elong buying twitter is like how in comic books or cw shows rich people say 'what, no rooms available? hah, I'll just buy the hotel'

except we get to see the actual outcome

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Tweet me @Ishmael

Ishmael :eightbux: @phishmael

yo, whatup, its ya boy ishmael. its really me. you can tell from the checkmark

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

he's absolutely still going to try to fire this guy that doesn't work for him

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

lol is this real?

seems so easy to just fake truth social screenshots because no one is going to go into that cesspit to check

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Cold on a Cob posted:

blackwater would be a good name for an extremely snobby coffee joint where you get yelled at if you ask for sugar or cream

i was at one of those a while ago.

the guy seriously wouldn't give me sugar until I had tasted the coffee without anything in it.

yep, as I expected, needs sugar

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
this is the most anyone has ever approved of jeff bezos

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

musk will ban everyone that votes against him

inshallah

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

they should send a pair to sbf so he doesn't have to worry about laces

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
daniel craig is secretly a great voice actor.
he had a decent role as the pirate in tintin, but an absolutely insane part in comrade detective that he did very well

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
https://twitter.com/NaughtyZippo/status/1611635604843896835

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
https://twitter.com/6thgrade4ever/status/1433519577892327424?t=LZ6pN1bcv_PheTN8_T7R2Q&s=19

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
the whole nova story presumes that people in latin america are incapable of seeing a word that doesn't exist in spanish and thinking 'huh must mean something in another language' even when that is exactly how americans would look at the word. nova means as little in spanish as it does in english.

it makes about as much sense to make up a story that the car couldn't be sold in parts of the us because people would think no va meant it was illegal to drive the car in virginia

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
the fact that this stuff needs to be explained at all is enough of an indication that mastodon isnt for general use. it will never be used as widely as twitter. whether or not that's bad, ok or actually a benefit is entirely up to your personal opinion.

someone just needs to create twitter but without the nazis

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
this is definitely because elon was fed up with an account named eIon or e1on and he personally made this everyone's priority, isn't it

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
also, i think the shirt changing color might just be chromakey?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

drat slovenians got it good compared to all their neighbors

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
im sorry if the map sucks!

:shrug: it was the first one that popped up on google and matches with what i know about a few countries, so i assumed the rest was right too. they may be cherry picking exceptions and using those to determine ages, or maybe they're incorporating future changes that have already been written into law

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Cat Face Joe posted:

the company i work for lost like $12,000,000 last year and we have a few of those

dont worry, you'll make up for it on volume

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

a sufficiently creative lawyer could argue that seo poisoning is witness tampering

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
programmers should be kept away from localization and translation.

they will ALWAYS tend toward separating text into the smallest possible units, and something like this always happens.

also, obviously, words that get reused somewhere else with a different translation, like the word 'close' being used for 'dismiss', and for 'near'.
this leads to dialog boxes being labelled with a 'near' option

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Beeftweeter posted:

i think in this case its because the shell can handle ZIP and CAB?

thats not to excuse it of course, theres multiple ways around it. and since nobody really uses CABs they could probably just say "compress file" with a toggle buried away somewhere since that's basically the way it is now

even if they'd want to use 'zip' as shorthand for 'compressed folder', there's absolutely no reason not to have separate labels for 'zip (address form field)' and 'zip (compressed folder)'

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

gabensraum posted:

not to mention all the other poo poo that people die from.

yeah, like drop bears

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Beeftweeter posted:

technically i think the little something was in justine

hey now, elon did a lot in that relationship

like lying about who was holding the child as the life slipped out of its body

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

mediaphage posted:

sooo many losers in the comments defending the fuckin car

https://twitter.com/nycfirewire/status/1674215500912500736?s=46&t=8g1SJ87BoVmp86tfUCXz2A

lol at breaking all four windows tho

it's obviously out of spite, but they're just going to say 'we tried the other set of windows first but found out it didn't fit after we'd already broken them' and rightly get away with it

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
i think blue is already used to signal something in usb ports

some of the usb ports on my motherboard and usb hub are blue and others are black

i just don't know what it means

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
those corner stairs would actually make a pretty cool plant stand if they'd be separate from the real stairs, just in a corner of the room

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

1 (maybe?) out of 13ish isn't that bad

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
i was stuck between two of the worst sets of lovely children on my flight back from my vacation last night (they only sprayed juice on the passenger next to me, and not on me, such luck!), and i never want to fly again

j/k im probably going to fly again next month, but for work, and to a place where no kids want to go in november

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
lmao remember when onlyfans said they'd stop doing adult in what probably was a ploy to get a better rate or change in content policies from stripe?

they still pretend it's a platform where you can sell fitness classes and piano lessons, but no one does that with the clothes on

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

a laptop with firewire doesn't need usb c

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

drat that went all kinds of places before i thought "that cant really be howard, can it" and then it was

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
i like that the designer probably went "now should the caribbean islands reach all the way to tunisia? not sure, maybe better to remove all the smaller ones"

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

mediaphage posted:

they’ve been doing this for like fifteen years

and it absolutely doesnt work because for product placement to be this aspirational thing, it needs to be the focus, and it needs to be handled by a character people want to emulate.

bag of doritos in the background? ok sure, whatever
indiana jones eating doritos? hell yeah, i also want to eat doritos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

rotor posted:

the guy who quit in a huff because HR told him he couldn't bring his poorly trained dog to work any more after it poo poo on the rug and bit two people

i didnt know joe biden used to work in advertising?