Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Going in alphabetical-ish order down the list:

Eizouken
I know, stunning isn't it? Turns out that the show that everyone agrees is really really good actually is really really good! Ridiculously good performances, gonzo style, the show was just a complete blast from beginning to end.

Gundam Build Divers Re: Rise
I genuinely never thought we would see another Build series from Gundam that would be any good after the original caught lightning in a bottle, but I was truly impressed and heartened by re:rise. It had a good cast, it used its set up well, it had good action, and I actually cared what happened to these characters and to the setting. I think my only real problem with the series was that the cast of incredible losers from the original Build Divers kept showing up, and and even that would be marginally acceptable except that the god-awful boring original lead had co-equal billing with the actual protagonist I liked for the final battle. That really is about the worst thing I can say for it, if it hadn't been the sequel series to a much worse show I don't think I'd have any complaints with what it was and what it was doing.

Bofuri
It turns out all you need for a functional VRMMO show is a cast of goofy characters having fun playing a game. Sometimes you can hang a show on wanting to spend time with a bunch of fun people having fun. There's a lot to love in the show like watching Maple become progressively more omnipotent or the fact it had alarmingly good action scenes or the fact that it is the show more than any other I've seen that actually feels like it "gets" MMO players (the forum posts at the end of each episode are standout), but mostly I just dig these people and I will gladly watch another season of them putting around playing a game.

Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle
A straight-on comedy that was completely on point for its entire run. Ridiculous, hilarious, and sometimes surprisingly relatable, I will never get tired of the Princess casually murdering ghost shrouds with her giant nightmare scissors as she announces that she has "no need for the head and arms". Once again, I will gladly watch another season of Princess murder MacGyver on her quest for the perfect night's sleep.

Moriarty the Patriot
Pure wish fulfillment junkfood anime, but greatly appreciated in these trying times. It really is just a show about brutally killing rich assholes with a thin veneer of Sherlock Holmes fanfiction attached to it. Ultimately though it's basically just a period piece version of Death Note except you're actually meant to root for Light this time. What can I say? It's cathartic watching evil watching 1%ers suffer and die horribly. It also has a surprisingly good version of Holmes, the show remembers the dude was actually a real jerk in the source books but it still also has an interesting divergent take on the character. Definitely gonna watch the second cour in April.

Honorable Mention:

My Next Life As Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!
This was a really fun show for about seven episodes, but it had started to run out of steam by episode five and it tapped all of my remaining goodwill from the strong start for me to get through the ending in episode 12.

Killer hook, wonderful lead, interesting setting, fun cast, and the gag of literally everyone falling for the lead didn't feel done to death, at first. After a while it was obvious to me that it was just spinning its wheels, and the villain it decided on was really weak sauce. Also while these people are morons they definitely aren't as moronic as what was required for the final arc to actually go through the way it did. I adore these wonderful idiots, but it didn't have the same kind of propulsive energy as the other "goofy silly people hang out and do things" shows I listed as my AOTY choices. I don't hate HameFura, but at the same time I have no interest in season two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

1. Eizouken: This was always going to be my number one, though Akudama Drive came close in the end. An absolute joy.
2. Akudama Drive: Stylish as hell, bonkers but surprisingly fleshed out plot, managed to maintain its momentum until the very end.
3. Wave, Listen To Me!: Refreshingly mature with a good mix of absurd humor and down-to-earth character interactions.
4. Princess Connect! Re:Dive: Consistently fun and enjoyable, a cut above the usual gacha crossover fare.
5. ID:Invaded: The rare high-concept scifi show that actually is as clever as it thinks it is.

Everything else in my shortlist falls under "good sequels to good shows": Chihayafuru S3, Golden Kamuy S3, Haikyuu!! To the Top, Kaguya-sama S2, Railgun S3.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Almost no anime that came out this year stuck in my memory. So the first place go to the only one I remember:

1)Eizokuzen

The rest goes to some perfectly adequate adaptions that try and succeed at feeling indistinguishable from their source material:
2)Bakarina
3)Sleepy Princess
4)Majo no Tabi
5)Bear Bear Bear Bear

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Despite the rest of it being pretty bad, 2020 was a great year for anime. I could barely narrow down a top five and couldn't even manage to rank it this year. So in no particular order:

Fruits Basket Season 2: Another stunning season of a stunning anime.
Tonikawa/Over the Moon For You: A charming romcom that is difficult to describe fully without getting into spoiler territory.
Bofuri: A show about gaming where PVP isn't evil or literally killing people? One that also makes fun of bad game design? No real stakes other than the goals players have for their characters? A bunch of genuinely nice people making a guild in an MMO? Sign me up. This is an anime that should not be missed.
Kaguya-sama Season 2: Knocked it out of the park once more.
Sleepy Princess: Takes a concept that should get old after one or maybe two episodes and leaves you wishing for another full cour. Adorable and hilarious at the same time

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
On the whole I thought it was a relatively weak year of anime, which is understandable when Covid came in and kicked the legs out from under everyone. Looks like it's resulted in front-loading 2021 with some enormous shows, though.

1. Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! - The year opened with this show, and immediately made me go "Oh, this might be the best anime of 2020," and in the end nothing else managed to come close, really. Felt like the animators poured all of their love into every frame, along with the fresh cast.
2. A Certain Scientific Railgun T - Another solid Railgun season, which continues to be much more interesting than the main series, which I haven't even bothered with. Great action sequences, lovable characters, fluffy comedy. Very enjoyable all around.
3. Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2 - Couldn't really stand the excessively wordy manga, but this adaptation has the gift of an utterly divine cast. The two main girls in particular must have been born for these parts. They elevate the material to make it a properly funny comedy, and the more serious episodes toward the end added some nice depth.
4. Kakushigoto (TV) - Truly delightful and wholesome comedy, with that very Japanese nostalgic feeling that I never know how to name. Kept a nice balance between warm family life and quirkily funny work life. Only disappointment is how the finale played out with a lame coma and quickly resolved amnesia after all that ominous teasing.
5. Akudama Drive - Unusually consistent action show in a stylish package. Even finished nicely.

Honourable mentions:
Re:Zero s2, which kept me amazed week after week with how well it executed the story, but I've already read the original web novel, so it's a bit hard to judge how good it really is on its own. The season is technically just halfway through, with Covid pausing the broadcast for a few months, so I decided to wait and stuff it into my 2021 list instead.
Haikyuu s4, which was highly enjoyable, but still such a massive disappointment compared to earlier seasons in terms of production.
Honzuki s2, which was a decent adaptation of one of my absolute favourite web novels. Glad we're getting more soon.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im not good at summaries so each pick gets a blurb.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun - To everyone that forgot to put this on their list

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! - The worlds greatest gremlin meets the worlds most oblivious doofus.

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken - I actually didnt watch this while it aired but binged it back in November after some early AOTY talk and Im really glad I did so. Unique and fun.

Princess Connect: Re-Dive - I dont care that its trying to sell me a gacha game, this show was loving hilarious and the MC not being the hero but just a big ol idiot that constantly wanders into trouble was perfect.

F/GO: Babylonia - Honestly this fifth spot could have gone to half a dozen other shows but none of them had Jaguar Man getting a pile driver from an Aztec god.

Honorable mentions:
Kaguya-sama S2, Akudama Drive, Re:Zero S2, Gleipnir, Dorohedoro

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
5. In/Spectre (interesting characters and concept, although the approach of making most of the season one long arc didn't really work)
4. Golden Kamuy s3 (we get some resolution to some long-running mysteries, some wonderfully silly scenes, and some wonderfully tense scenes, although there are times when it feels like it's rehashing the plots of previous seasons, but in Sakhalin instead of Hokkaido this time)
3. Talentless Nana (seeing the protagonist find ways to defeat various superpowers was fun, but it also went in a surprisingly emotionally moving direction)
2. Jujutsu Kaisen (good adaptation of good manga)
1. Re: Zero s2 (more Re: Zero)

Honorable Mentions: Tower of God, My Life as a Villainess

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 4, 2021

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's a week left before voting closes! So far, we have 71 votes as well as several votes not getting counted from people who did not read instructions, and here's the current standings for everything with 10 or more votes:

1. Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! (37)
  2. Akudama Drive (25)
  3. Kaguya-sama S2 (24)
  4. Dorohedoro (23)
  5. Re:Zero S2 (14)
  6. Bofuri (11)
  7. Deca-Dence (11)
  8. Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle (10)

Check the raw votes snapshot here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AqEoMFzJjX3y5PycPLH2B8D0iivEWf_tE9ibT764jQw/edit?usp=sharing

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
The Japanese forum 5ch had their best anime of the year votes tallied as such:
pre:
1.  Akudama Drive (421p)
2.  ID:Invaded (410)
3.  Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai (386)
4.  Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai? s2 (370)
5.  Houkago Teibou Nisshi (310)
6.  Mewkle Dreamy (299)
7.  Ishuzoku Reviewers (295)
8.  Deca-Dence (291)
9.  Maoujou de Oyasumi (290)
10. Munou na Nana (273)
11. Adachi to Shimamura (265)
11. Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! (265)
11. Kakushigoto (265)
14. To Aru Kagaku no Railgun T (261)
15. Golden Kamuy s3 (223)
16. Oshi ga Budoukan Ittekuretara Shinu (202)
17. Dorohedoro (189)
18. Majo no Tabitabi (183)
19. Ochikobore Fruit Tart (181)
20. Gundam Build Divers Re:Rise 2nd Season (149)
21. Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... (143)
22. Strike Witches - Road to Berlin (138)
23. Princess Connect! Re:Dive (128)
24. Nami yo Kiitekure (127)
25. Taiso Samurai (112)
26. Yesterday wo Utatte (107)
27. Jashin-chan Drop Kick' s2 (103)
28. Jujutsu Kaisen (102)
29. Attack on Titan - The Final Season (98)
30. Koi suru Asteroid (96)
31. Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha (92)
32. Gochuumon wa Usagi Desuka? Bloom (87)
33. Assault Lily Bouquet (82)
34. Oregairu Kan (76)
35. Honzuki no Gekokujou s2 (74)
36. Re:Zero s2p1 (72)
36. Gibiate (72)
38. Tamayomi (71)
39. Great Pretender (70)
40. Show By Rock!! Mashumairesh!! (67)
41. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou (61)
42. Major 2nd (53)
43. Bofuri (51)
44. Dragon Quest - Dai no Daibouken (50)
44. Murenase! Seton Gakuen (50)
46. Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumei shitemita (45)
46. Magatsu Wahrheit: Zuerst (45)
48. Kiratto Pri☆chan (43)
49. Tonikaku Kawaii (42)
49. Iwakakeru! -Sport Climbing Girls- (42)
And Chinese Bilibili votes:
pre:
1.  Attack on Titan - The Final Season
2.  Jujutsu Kaisen
3.  Re:Zero s2p1
4.  To Aru Kagaku no Railgun T
5.  Majo no Tabitabi
6.  Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai? s2
7.  Kimetsu no Yaiba movie
8.  Date a Bullet OVA
9.  Detective Conan
10. Fate/Stay Night Spring Song movie
11. ID:Invaded
12. Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata Fine movie
13. Violet Evergarden Gaiden: Eien to Jidou Shuki Ningyou movie
14. Tonikaku Kawaii
15. Oregairu Kan
16. Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun
17. Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld
18. One Piece
19. Kishibe Rohan wa Ugokanai OVA
20. Violet Evergarden movie
21. Doraemon
22. SpongeBob
23. Kamisama ni Natta Hi
24. Adachi to Shimamura
25. Akudama Drive
26. Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai
27. Princess Connect! Re:Dive
28. Maoujou de Oyasumi
29. Rick & Morty
30. 22/7

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Silver2195 posted:

3. Talentless Nana

Hey this is a bit of a spoiler for people using this thread to decide what to watch, please consider using spoiler tags

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Splode posted:

Hey this is a bit of a spoiler for people using this thread to decide what to watch, please consider using spoiler tags

It’s literally the name of the show and manga

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
do 5ch posters have extremely short memories or something i am mystified by eizoken's ranking there

thanks for posting the raw results because i couldn't remember whether i settled on dorohedoro or made in abyss 3 to do a write up

Akudama Drive: While its clear everyone here loves it I feel like I did not really see this get a lot of traction with the broader anime community, feels like it has potential to be a great hidden gem. Just the most audaciously smart-dumb poo poo possible, I loved every second of it except for the broadcast censorship. Looking forward to the BD

Deca-Dence: I have no idea why someone decided to make a sci fi dystopia where Heybot! has enslaved man kind to make them do Attack on Titan but man it was a great ride. I know the Heybot! characters turned a lot of people off especially with all the toilet humor but for me that was a great part of the show's appeal. Just so utterly bizarre.

Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na!: this made me buy a 600 dollar tablet

Made in Abyss Movie 3: Fukaki Tamashii no Reimei: A continuation of everything that makes Made in Abyss the single most caveated/un-recommendable masterpiece. Bonedude was probably one of the most genuinely disgusting a vile characters I have ever seen and his characterization was masterful from beginning to end.

Nami yo Kiitekure | Wave, Listen to Me!: The fact that the seiyuu is pretty inexperienced and practically unheard of is genuinely mindblowing to me. This is the first time since Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju have I seen a show so thoroughly dominated by a performance oozing in pure, uncut black tar charisma. Also the surrealist writing was fantastic but holy poo poo put Sugiyama Riho in idk, everything

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Splode posted:

Fine, I reworded it to give away a bit less.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I feel pretty bad about this. I watched a lot of good anime this year, but about half of it was shows from 2018 and 2019 that were on people's top 5 lists (A Place Further than the Universe, Hinamatsuri, SSSS.Gridman, etc). Most of the anime that aired this year would not normally make my top 5 due to severe reservations (BNA, Deca-Dence, My Life as a Villainess), so I'm just going to vote for the ones I'm confident in:

1. Dorohedoro
2. Kaguya-sama season 2
3. Eizouken

I suspect some combination of the MIA movie, KNY movie, and Akudama Drive would round out the rest. Will edit in if I somehow manage to fit in others before the deadline.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
1. Keep Your Hands of Eizouken - When I first saw this, I predicted this would probably remain my number one for the year and it did, a beautiful love letter to crativity and animation

2. Kaguya Season 2 - The second season of one of my favourite mangas, one where the team clearly love the material, and left their own stamp on the material ith a distinct flair.

3. Akudama Drive - So stylish, so cool, there weren't any big twists or complex plots, just a very well executed (pun intended) heist anime.

4. Chihayafuru Season 3 - I'd been waiting so long for more Chiyahafuru

5. Re:Zero Season 2 - Always been a sucker for time travel and suffering and Re:Zero continues to deliver

Honourable Mention: Babylon, technically counts here as it was delayed, the plot is batshit and terrible, it's attempts at philosophy incoherent, and the characters appalling and ridiculous, but I admire the work the studio put in to attempt to salvage the source material, I loved the direction/animation they used to make the villian come across as incredibly threatening while maintaining the appearance of being completely mundane, if nothing else the interrogation scene in season 2 is worth a watch.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I actually watched way more this year than I typically do, probably not surprising given that I haven't really left my home for anything other than groceries for 10 months now.

Anyway, I still haven't watched everything I want to from 2020, so I still have some catching up to do. Most notably I still have Eizouken to get to, which I was saving for some weird reason. Anyway, top 5 from what I finished:

Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2 - I will never be able to get enough of this show, I adore it. The characters are lovable goofballs, which is important both to the impeccable comedic skits and the more emotional bits. I'm constantly in awe at how this show can whip from making me laugh out loud straight into making me feel my own feelings, and it never feels unnatural or contrived.

TONIKAWA: Over the Moon For You - The animation quality is a bit janky and the concept/execution kind of feels a bit like on-the-nose propaganda targeted at making single people get married. Setting that aside, I got married this year and this show had so many moments that I could empathize with directly. The back half of this year was more than a bit difficult, but this show guaranteed me that every Friday would end on a good note during its run. I wish the main characters were both a bit older, but that aside the show seems to fairly deftly handle its subject matter in a refreshing and respectful way that gives me the warm fuzzies.

BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense - I've played a LOT of MMOs in my life and every time I did the main struggle was always finding a group of people who enjoyed playing the game enough to consistently try everything out and do their best at it while also not turning it into a full time tryhard min-maxing meta-gaming job. Aside from how funny this show is (and it's loving hilarious), I actually really appreciated Maple's approach to gaming. I love that there's a show about someone who just likes playing the video game with no weird tryhard-or-you-die-in-real-life catch, no real stakes, just good times with friends. Also for whatever reason most of the fight scenes have great animation in their own right, even though the main premise of the show is feel-good comedy.

Deca-Dence - This show is like the most "above average" anime of all time. The production values are good, the concept is interesting, the writing is decent, and the pacing is brisk. I don't think there's anything about Deca-Dence that I disliked, and I can't really think of anything off of the top of my head that it could do "better" without essentially changing it into an entirely different production. It's just good. It's also just good.

Chihayafuru 3 - I adored the narrative themes of this season, but I actually had to go and look at which episodes were covered in Season 3 since I rewatched the whole series leading up to it, and it just seamlessly all blends together. I love this show. It's a consistently thoughtful work in every stage of production.

Honorable Mentions:
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Climax! - Hey, we got an ending finally, even if the show seemed to produce it only through the most torturous process imaginable. I don't regret watching the series, but there were times where I found it more frustrating than anything - some of the characters in this show (in particular, Haruno) seem to exist within the narrative only to drag poo poo out. Adults do not behave like the adults in this show. The kids get a pass for being kids.
My Hero Academia 4 - I love My Hero Academia. Season 1 actually got me to watch anime again, prior to which I hadn't really watched anything for several years. Season 4 was just more of what you expect to see.
Kami no Tou | Tower of God - Weird as hell in a good way? I'm looking forward to more of it.
Kanojo, Okarishimasu | Rent-a-Girlfriend - Better than it had any right to be, refreshing to have any series about ostensible adults, certain characters are almost too believably terrible at times.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 4, 2021

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Feels like I barely watched anything this year.

1. Eizouken
2. Ascendance of a Bookworm Part 2
3. Chihayafuru 3
4. Hanyou no Yashahime
5. Violet Evergarden Movie

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008
Another year of me not watching a lot of new shows, I missed a lot of really popular ones from this year for reasons, but here's the my top 5 of what I did watch.

1) Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2
Cast, direction, animation, script and music. A really all round good comedy show.

2) Kakushigoto (TV)
A neat comedy with some great emotional hits as well. Kamiya Hiroshi hits it out of the park with, bringing the same energy as in Zetsubou-sensei but managing to differentiate the roles well, and Takahashi Rie was adorable as Hime with some pretty spot on acting choices there tool.

3)Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front - Babylonia
It was promised to be a tour de force for fans, and outside them playing it safe with some of the choices, they really managed to have some great action and emotional moments. However they were just moments, and there wasn't much 'glue' to stick them together. Also towards the end there were some strange choices about padding some moments while compressing others, which led to some of the emotional beats not really sticking the landing. Voice acting highlights are Kobayashi Yuu as Enkidu and Seki Tomokazu as Gilgamesh (Playing a very different character to his other depicitions in the Fate series, at some point almost being the comic sidekick), Asakawa Yuu as Ana/Gorgon (managing to squeeze out two very different voices, one of which is very much outside her usual range), but my favourite was Ueda Kana as Ishtar and Ereshikigal. Both characters are based on Rin from Stay Night, but she not only makes them distinct from Rin, they're distinct from each other in subtle but noticeable ways, while somehow keeping all of them the same voice

4) BOFURI
Its yet another VRMMO show with an OP protagonist, but this time the VRMMO's intentionally bad, and the story is more about having fun in the game, with some refuge in audacity in how the MC stumbles into getting crazy overpowered skills. There were some great animation showcases, and Hondo Kaede was amazing as always as Honjou Kaede/Maple.

5) Ishuzoku Reviewers
Talking about refuge in audacity, this is refuge in audacity the anime. Funny and outrageous, it also has a bit of a wholesome message in; a) sex is good, actually and b) different strokes for different folks/ different cultures have different standards so don't judge others. Some points docked for how they handled the idea of different sexualities though.

Honourable mention

Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? Bloom
Another in the series of a good all-round plotless, mindless, cute girls doing cute things anime. This season has a general throughline that all the characters are due to graduate to the next level of school (which gave me a moment of "wait, these characters are supposed to be high schoolers/middle schoolers?!") and pretty much every episode tried to pull on your heart strings in some way which doesn't always hit. Its got some great character animation, and excellent voice acting (My favourite being Uchida Maaya's Sharo, who seems to be transforming into a gremlin with every episode)

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
1. Kaguya-sama S2

The rest of my top 5 in no particular order:

Bang Dream S3
Love Live Nijigasaki
Bofuri
Magia Record

Feels like there were a bunch of shows this year that I enjoyed a lot, but nothing really stood out on top other than Kaguya.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Looking at the list from 5ch, I haven't seen enough series to judge them all. BUT, I would definitely swap Ishuzoku Reviewers with Maoujou de Oyasumi, and push Kakushigoto between them.

I'd like also to find the 183 people voting for Majo no Tabitabi and get them into treatment for suicidal depression. :downsgun:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Elaina has competent animation and a few decent jokes, which is probably enough for most people. It seems pretty well received everywhere else on the internet. SA sticks out as the sole outlier.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Strange Quark posted:

Elaina has competent animation and a few decent jokes, which is probably enough for most people. It seems pretty well received everywhere else on the internet. SA sticks out as the sole outlier.

That's why I only use SA for anime recommendations

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Was it? I saw an interview with the LN author on ANN that made clear that, at the very least, the complaints about Elaina being a moral coward aren't exclusive to SA.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

Was it? I saw an interview with the LN author on ANN that made clear that, at the very least, the complaints about Elaina being a moral coward aren't exclusive to SA.

7.60 average on MAL is a high score. 🤷‍♀️

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Not that high given that the scale starts at 6.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
There’s a lot of sub 7 averages on MAL, and the gap is more important than the absolute scale.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im pretty sure the proof that places outside this forum like wandering witch is that it got 183 votes for anime of the year on the japanese forum 5chan

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm just making fun of MAL scores. Wandering Witch seems to be just as popular as its art quality and character designs would guarantee without any real huge immediate deal breakers. It is very funny that people on SA kept getting re-offended that an anthology show centered around a third act narrative reveals had twists.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'm just making fun of MAL scores. Wandering Witch seems to be just as popular as its art quality and character designs would guarantee without any real huge immediate deal breakers. It is very funny that people on SA kept getting re-offended that an anthology show centered around a third act narrative reveals had twists.

It's not the stories that are the problem, it's that Elaina doesn't engage with them beyond little more than "huh, neat" or "well that happened, next place! :yayclod:"

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
As someone on YT I saw put it, "What if "Kino's Journey," but she's a self-centered rear end in a top hat?" And the twist ending was "She's an even bigger self-centered rear end in a top hat than we first thought!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Doodles posted:

And the twist ending was "She's an even bigger self-centered rear end in a top hat than we first thought!"
The twist being hah! Dumb watchers, we made the series lopsided on purpose! it was MULTIPLE ELANA'S!! :smug: is something all right.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
It really feels like this season I was quicker to pare down what I was watching than I have been in prior seasons, so it really came down to me watching ongoing shows and only a couple new things that caught my attention.

Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season - Ongoing show - It's Boku no Hero, it feels a little cheap voting it as a best of the year, but it was a weak year overall IMO.
Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara - Ongoing show - Like BNHA it feels a little cheap to vote it as a best of the year, but then again it was one of the few I followed through on.
Ascendance of a Bookworm Part 2 - Ongoing show - I fell in love with the premise of in the first season. Isekai without being to tropishly isekai.
Dorohedoro - It's wonderfully animated, and weird as hell and this is exactly the kind I poo poo I started watching anime to see in the first place.
Yuukoku no Moriarty - I have a soft spot of detective stuff and Sherlock Holmes stuff, so an anime from the perspective of Holmes' arch-rival had me hooked.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Honorable Mentions
Major Second S2
Dorohedoro - may have been higher if I finished the show
Ghost in the Shell SAC 2045: Ended on a decent cliffhanger. Started slowly

5. Great Pretender - still need to finish the 2nd half but the 1st half was good
4. Golden Kamuy Season 3 - The story is still good but wish the animation could match what the manga looks like.
3. Wave, Listen to Me
2. Chihayafuru Season 3
1. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
1) IDOLiSH7: Second Beat!

I liked the first season, I adored the interseason shorts, and this season had it all: it introduced new characters and made me care about them; it gave payoff for things introduced early on; it had silly hijinks contrasting with moving interpersonal drama; and it set things up for future seasons while still having a satisfying ending. The character writing is just so drat solid. I love these boys.
We marathoned the first season + shorts on New Year's Day, and gently caress this is is such a good show. I'm super hype for season 3.

2) Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai

As the world knows, I love live, and the nijis are no exception. This season's weaknesses and strengths largely flow from the same source: it's highly episodic nature. Each idol indisputably gets her own focus ep, complete with a song+MV, which is awesome. Unfortunately, some of their issues and dramas are a bit much to be contained in a single ep (Shizuku, Rina), and others aren't really enough to fill one out (Ai, Emma). They cheat a bit by borrowing some of the airtime from less dramatic charas and giving it to their more troubled partners, but still, some of these dramas really should have been more diffuse.
But! It was really pretty, I love the girls, and the MVs were given the attention they needed to really shine. I'm excited for presumably more.

3) Princess Connect! Re:Dive

This ain't the deepest show or anything, but it was consistently fun, pretty, and charming. The core pekokyaru relationship is great (standoffish×bulldozer is my favorite character dynamic), and they used their player insert MC to great effect by making him a buffoonish amnesiac. It's easily the show from the first half of the year that most often comes to mind now.

4) Akudama Drive

I fear I might be overrating this due to how recently I finished it, but this was just a really well-done show. Our main character may have been the only one with any depth to her, but her journey was great, and the other characters were no less charming for their 2D natures. Visually, the show was stylish as gently caress, and I enjoyed how it subsumed every other concern to ensuring that poo poo was badass-looking. And it was. The show really stuck the landing, too, and I love how complete the story feels.

5) BanG Dream! 3rd Season

This season really focused on RAS, which was absolutely a great decision, even if it meant my favorite bandori only got cameo appearances. It introduced the non-game-playing audience (me!) to the new band, and really gave all their dramas the space and attention they needed to shine. I'm still pissed that bandori's abandoned 2D animation, but they do decent things with what they've got.

Honorable mentions:
Haikyuu!! To the Top
Re:Zero s2
Chihayafuru s3
All really good, but also I don't have anything more interesting to say about them besides "they're really good continuations of shows I really like," so here they go.

e: I somehow missed Eizoken in the list, but that probably would have slotted in at #3... Ah well, consider it another HM.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 10, 2021

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Honorable Mentions

-Burn the Witch was really cool. Kinda comforting to see Kubo's art at such a high quality after so long. Please don't let the Bleach anime revival suck even though it probably will.
-Show by Rock Mashumairesh. I didn't have the love for the new season that I did for the first, but it was still pretty drat cute.

5. Major 2nd

I'm always a slut for baseball, and the continuation of Major 2nd still has baseball in it. Also just had a pretty likable cast in general, Major is pretty good, check it out.

4. Love Live Nijigasaki

The most unique season in a lot of ways. Some character arcs really dragged, but the animation was always incredible. It's the first Love Live I don't want a continuation of, but that's not really a bad thing. The story felt really compact and neat, and I just kinda admire it for being it's own thing and not being concerned with following the previous two groups.

3. 22/7

*Extreme shrugging* The character artist did my two favorite anime ever, maybe it's that? The idol music sounds a lot darker? The constant melodrama and weird premise? I dunno, but whatever the gently caress this show was, I loved it. Definitely want more of this. All hail Wall!

2. Star Twinkle Precure

When this show ended, I didn't know how to feel about it, but I think I'm in a good place with it right now. I'm a huge Cure Head, and this probably squeaks into my top five favorite seasons. It felt like they tried a lot of new stuff, the cast was really memorable, everything was really cute. Gosh, even parts of the ending had me crying. I haven't seen the movie that everyone says is the best, but I would really like to see these characters one more time. They're just too cute and lovable, and the show had such positive energy to it.

1. Oshi ga Budokan Ittekuretara Shinu

This is just a gut feeling. I don't think I had fun watching an anime in 2020 more than this, and it's mostly built off the sentimental value of some friends made this past year. Y'all know who you are. This is a show about idol fandom more than the actual idols, and it was just kinda right place right time for me. Eripiyo is extremely relatable, and seeing the extremes she went to support her best girl was honestly super endearing. Her friends were pretty great too, and ChamJam were pretty interesting when we got to see them. I don't think it's the best anime of 2020, but it's the one I feel most positively about right now for personal reasons.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
poo poo, how did I miss oshibudo??? can the vote be updated?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

4) Akudama Drive

I fear I might be overrating this due to how recently I finished it, but this was just a really well-done show. Our main character may have been the only one with any depth to her, but her journey was great, and the other characters were no less charming for their 2D natures. Visually, the show was stylish as gently caress, and I enjoyed how it subsumed every other concern to ensuring that poo poo was badass-looking. And it was. The show really stuck the landing, too, and I love how complete the story feels.
The show is absolutely benefitting a lot from "recency bias" (is that the correct term?) but it is, by all means, a pretty drat good show and legit would've made top 3 for me in any other year. I was chatting with my daughter and it sorta hit me how much it reminds of like a funner "what if?" for something like Psycho-Pass.

Absolutely baller soundtrack, too!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

poo poo, how did I miss oshibudo??? can the vote be updated?

I think I set up the form to have editable responses, but if that's not possible, you can always submit another vote and tell me to delete the old one.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Honorable Mentions: Chihayafuru s3 would probably be on my top 5, but I never got around to it. The first half of Bakarina was great, but the back half bored me to tears so it dropped out of my top 5. Adachi and Shimamura is my #6, but was very close with my #5 pick.

Top Five:

5. Deca-Dence
4. Maoujou de Oyasumi
3. Akudama Drive
2. Dorohedoro
1. Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na!

Julias fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I really don’t understand the love for Akudama Drive. I binged it on this thread’s constant recommendation and it was...fun? Looked pretty cool? But so hilariously edgy and generic with absolutely nothing new to say.

:shrug: idgi