Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nanigans posted:

I really don’t understand the love for Akudama Drive. I binged it on this thread’s constant recommendation and it was...fun? Looked pretty cool? But so hilariously edgy and generic with absolutely nothing new to say.

:shrug: idgi

It knows exactly what kind of show it wants to be and never tries to go outside its lane while telling a full and complete story, with an internally-consistent setting, from start to finish. That's a rare thing nowadays, sadly.

Sometimes fun and looking cool is enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Strange Quark posted:

I think I set up the form to have editable responses, but if that's not possible, you can always submit another vote and tell me to delete the old one.

k, please delete the old one if there's two, then

new rankings:

1) idolish7

2) Oshibudo

Oshibudo's look at the fans of idols is something one normally only sees in the fringes and backgrounds of some idol shows. I loved seeing it center stage, both in a "hah! it do be like that" sense, and also in a "drat... well, at least I ain't that bad" sense. Add to that cute idols, great visuals, a hefty dose of yuri, glimpses of how chika idols operate, and an all-round positive vibe, and I loving loved it. Someone else seems to have finally started TL'ing the manga, which is good, 'cause I'd have probably had to do it otherwise.

3) nijigasaki
4) eizouken - for all the reasons everyone else has said, I assume
5) priconne

apologies for the inconvenience

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The poll is now closed! After 85 responses, the top ten standings by total votes are:

1. Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! | Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! (43)
  2. Akudama Drive (31)
  3. Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen | Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2 (30)
  4. Dorohedoro (29)
  5. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season | Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season 2 (15)
  6. Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. | BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense. (15)
  7. Deca-Dence (14)
  8. Maoujou de Oyasumi | Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle (12)
  9. Chihayafuru 3 (11)
  10. Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... | My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! (10)

The top ten list also happens to be the only anime with at least ten votes total. Not much change from the halfway update. Eizouken has the clear lead in first, while Akudama Drive, Kaguya S2, and Dorohedoro are fairly interchangeable (though Dorohedoro has the advantage in first ranked votes among them) before the sharp drop off in votes for fifth place and below.

Want to do anything more involved with the data? Check out the full results here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AqEoMFzJjX3y5PycPLH2B8D0iivEWf_tE9ibT764jQw/edit?usp=sharing

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It knows exactly what kind of show it wants to be and never tries to go outside its lane while telling a full and complete story, with an internally-consistent setting, from start to finish. That's a rare thing nowadays, sadly.

Sometimes fun and looking cool is enough.

Yeah I agree with this. It's consistently stylish and well produced the whole way though, the story was clearly written from start to finish, rather than adhoc nonsense, the pacing is good. The themes are basic but consistent.

It may not be particularly groundbreaking or ambitious, but it doesn't have anything wrong with it.

And geez it's really nice to get a story that ends entirely and completely instead of hoping for another season or expecting me to go read the manga

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I wanted a Crank anime, it gave me a Crank anime.

Also small thing but it's nice to get a good anime that's from the perspective of the criminals/terrorists rather than the cops.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Nanigans posted:

I really don’t understand the love for Akudama Drive. I binged it on this thread’s constant recommendation and it was...fun? Looked pretty cool? But so hilariously edgy and generic with absolutely nothing new to say.

I was pretty underwhelmed for almost the entire series but the ending was pretty good!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Honestly, I'm most surprised by Deca-Dence having such a high listing.

Show shot its wad in episode 2, and then turned out to not have anything else particularly interesting. One moment of surprise, then ten episodes painted by numbers, with constant fakeout deaths for Kaburagi to undermine the tension in the last act.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nanigans posted:

if you think its 'hilariously edgy and generic' then yeah you kinda didnt get it, lol. its super stylistic and distinct.

plus like, it knows it's over the top. you aren't meant to take all of it 100% seriously, its part of the visual and narrative style. you arent meant to go 'woah... thats hosed up!!' when cutthroat goes off on one about murders, its meant to be funny and charming

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

The poll is now closed! After 85 responses, the top ten standings by total votes are:

1. Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! | Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! (43)
  2. Akudama Drive (31)
  3. Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen | Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2 (30)
  4. Dorohedoro (29)
  5. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season | Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season 2 (15)
  6. Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. | BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense. (15)
  7. Deca-Dence (14)
  8. Maoujou de Oyasumi | Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle (12)
  9. Chihayafuru 3 (11)
  10. Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... | My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! (10)

The top ten list also happens to be the only anime with at least ten votes total. Not much change from the halfway update. Eizouken has the clear lead in first, while Akudama Drive, Kaguya S2, and Dorohedoro are fairly interchangeable (though Dorohedoro has the advantage in first ranked votes among them) before the sharp drop off in votes for fifth place and below.

Want to do anything more involved with the data? Check out the full results here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AqEoMFzJjX3y5PycPLH2B8D0iivEWf_tE9ibT764jQw/edit?usp=sharing

You seem to have left me out of the data.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Endorph posted:

if you think its 'hilariously edgy and generic' then yeah you kinda didnt get it, lol. its super stylistic and distinct.

plus like, it knows it's over the top. you aren't meant to take all of it 100% seriously, its part of the visual and narrative style. you arent meant to go 'woah... thats hosed up!!' when cutthroat goes off on one about murders, its meant to be funny and charming

It was charming, sure. I get that it was going for over the top. I get that it was super stylistic. It just felt empty and soulless with nothing new to say about anything.

I will say that the cops are the clear cut villains/losers, so that's good. And while I can't say I've felt particularly burned by series not ending, I can appreciate that Akudama Drive did indeed tell a full story without a cliffhanger ending.

Like I said, I liked it, I just didn't think it was anime of the year material and still don't. Glad people enjoyed it tho.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

You seem to have left me out of the data.

Did you vote in the form? I explicitly said I wasn’t counting votes in the thread by hand.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
(and Jujutsu Kaisen isn't on the list)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Yeah, my point was that it's hard to count votes when they're not eligible in the first place.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Nanigans posted:

It was charming, sure. I get that it was going for over the top. I get that it was super stylistic. It just felt empty and soulless with nothing new to say about anything.

I will say that the cops are the clear cut villains/losers, so that's good. And while I can't say I've felt particularly burned by series not ending, I can appreciate that Akudama Drive did indeed tell a full story without a cliffhanger ending.

Like I said, I liked it, I just didn't think it was anime of the year material and still don't. Glad people enjoyed it tho.
It has things to say if you're willing to take it seriously.

For example, more than just saying "cops are bad", Akudama Drive illustrates how police forces can subvert oversight mechanisms. The way things laws are set up, the Executors can't declare people targets for execution, a key limit on their power. But Boss can just go to the person who does do that and push them into making whatever declarations she likes, because she's more powerful than him. And this--oversight groups being weaker than the groups they're supposed to oversee, and getting pushed around by those groups as a result--is a real problem. Akudama Drive just explored a real problem.

There are a hundred places where it does something like that.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

darkgray posted:

Yeah, my point was that it's hard to count votes when they're not eligible in the first place.

Oh lol, I thought that was directed at me at first

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I started a few series throughout the year, BNA, Deca-Dence, Great Pretender, Eizouken, that one about racing across the US. But Dorohedoro was the only one that kept my interest and had me watching the whole way through.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Elephant Parade posted:

It has things to say if you're willing to take it seriously.

For example, more than just saying "cops are bad", Akudama Drive illustrates how police forces can subvert oversight mechanisms. The way things laws are set up, the Executors can't declare people targets for execution, a key limit on their power. But Boss can just go to the person who does do that and push them into making whatever declarations she likes, because she's more powerful than him. And this--oversight groups being weaker than the groups they're supposed to oversee, and getting pushed around by those groups as a result--is a real problem. Akudama Drive just explored a real problem.

There are a hundred places where it does something like that.

Fair.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Another big one though spoilers for those who haven't seen it. It becomes very clear fairly early on that nobody is making it out of this job alive, and how each character chooses to meet their inevitable death does say something

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

Another big one though spoilers for those who haven't seen it. It becomes very clear fairly early on that nobody is making it out of this job alive, and how each character chooses to meet their inevitable death does say something

I wouldn't say all that early on. The show sets up to it look like it'll just be a straight rollercoaster of cool crime antics, but the moment Brawler falls around the halfway mark the writing is definitely on the wall that nobody is coming out of this show alive.

The reason Akudama Drive is such a strong AOTY contender is also that while other shows might do various individual elements better, none of them checked all the boxes simultaneously like Akudama Drive did.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 12, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't say all that early on. The show sets up to it look like it'll just be a straight rollercoaster of cool crime antics, but the moment Brawler falls around the halfway mark the writing is definitely on the wall that nobody is coming out of this show alive.

Brawler really was the heart of the crew and the team dynamic starts falling apart as soon as he dies. RIP to the best bro :smith:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For some reason I remembered that happening at episode 4, so yeah amended to half way through.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Strange Quark posted:

Don't mind if I do!

What are the results if we only count votes for #1? 58 goons submitted a ranked pick for single best anime of 2020, and the results are:
    1. Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! | Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! (17)
    2. Dorohedoro (9)
    3t. Akudama Drive (5)
    3t. Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen | Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2 (5)
    5t. Adachi to Shimamura | Adachi and Shimamura (2)
    5t. IDOLiSH7: Second Beat! (2)
    5t. Munou na Nana | Talentless Nana (2)
Followed by sixteen more anime garnering a single #1 vote each.

The top four remain intact. Eizouken remains the decisive choice, with 29.3% of the vote, followed by runner-up Dorohedoro's 15.5%. No other anime break a double-digit percentage.

Strange Quark posted:

2. Noticed the duplicate response I deleted from Cantaloupe was left in the spreadsheet, so I've only fixed that now.

Yes_Cantaloupe's duplicate vote has now been removed to preserve the integrity of the results!

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 14, 2021

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
How about a weighted ranking? Votes for #1 equal 5 points, #2 = 4, #3 = 3, #4 = 2, #5 = 1. Unranked votes get 3 points each. A few goons specified their #1 but left their other four unranked, so those will count for 2.5 points, so as not to allow them undue influence over our sacred democratic process. Honorable mentions get nothing!

The weighted results are:
    1. Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! | Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! (170 points)
    2. Dorohedoro (103.5 points)
    3. Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen | Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2 (97.5 points)
    4. Akudama Drive (87.5 points)
    5. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season | Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season 2 (41 points)
    6. Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. | BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense. (39 points)
    7. Maoujou de Oyasumi | Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle (36 points)
    8. Chihayafuru 3 (33 points)
    9. Deca-Dence (32.5 points)
    10. Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... | My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! (26 points)

11. Haikyuu!! To the Top (24 points)
    12t. Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen 2nd Season | Ascendance of a Bookworm Part 2 (23 points)
    12t. Mairimashita! Iruma-kun | Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun (23 points)
    14. Munou na Nana | Talentless Nana (21 points)
    15t. Great Pretender (19 points)
    15t. Kakushigoto (TV) (19 points)
    17. Ishuzoku Reviewers | Interspecies Reviewers (18 points)
    18. Adachi to Shimamura | Adachi and Shimamura (17 points)
    19t. Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season | My Hero Academia 4 (16 points)
    19t. Toaru Kagaku no Railgun T | A Certain Scientific Railgun T (16 points)
Trivia: Chihayafuru 3 is the highest ranked anime (8th) to receive no votes for #1. 73 of the 211 qualifying anime received at least one point; the median was 7 points.

Weighted ranking gives us the same top ten anime as the unweighted ranking, with a few changes in order. Akudama drops two spots and Dorohedoro rises two, exchanging second and fourth; Sleepy Princess and Chihayafuru both rise one to seventh and eight, respectively, at the expense of Deca-Dence, which drops two to ninth. The top four remain high above the rest, with an undisputed champion. I should watch Eizouken.

Congratulations to Resonance22 for being the only goon to pick the same five anime as the group consensus! You are the bellwether of ADTRW.

Strange Quark posted:

2. Noticed the duplicate response I deleted from Cantaloupe was left in the spreadsheet, so I've only fixed that now.

Yes_Cantaloupe's duplicate votes have now been removed to preserve the integrity of the results!

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 14, 2021

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Trivia: Chihayafuru 3 is the highest ranked anime (8th) to receive no votes for #1.

Eh!? That doesn't seem quite right, since it was my #1. Did I screw up ranking in the poll?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Malsangoroth posted:

Eh!? That doesn't seem quite right, since it was my #1. Did I screw up ranking in the poll?

Looking through the spreadsheet your entry has no ranked choice stuff entered. I forgot that it's formatted as column for every single series not column per place.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 12, 2021

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Congratulations to Resonance22 for being the only goon to pick the same five anime as the group consensus! You are the bellwether of ADTRW.

Haha! I choked on my noodles suddenly seeing my username in this post.

I don't follow anime super closely beyond the dedicated threads in ADTRW, so I actually never heard of Akudama Drive until this very thread! Binged it over two days and then immediately edited my vote. Thanks, goons!

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Malsangoroth posted:

FRAUD AT THE POLLS! You're listed as ranking ID:Invaded #1 and Chihayafuru #2.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

All I care about are the plots someone made each year that let you see who else has similar tastes to me so I know whose recommendations to pay attention to more than others.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Why wasn't my vote counted? What kind of scam is this????

I mean seriously, double check the tally. :P

Fangz fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 13, 2021

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
1. The votes weren't counted by hand, read the OP.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

1. The votes weren't counted by hand, read the OP.

Oh. gently caress.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can re-open the form for votes temporarily if it really matters to you, but I won't be re-tallying the votes myself

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

FRAUD AT THE POLLS! You're listed as ranking ID:Invaded #1 and Chihayafuru #2.

Hmm, I'm thinking it was an error on my part then. To be fair, both Chihayafuru and ID: Invaded were neck-and-neck for my #1 spot.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

All I care about are the plots someone made each year that let you see who else has similar tastes to me so I know whose recommendations to pay attention to more than others.

Ugh, I'd do it but the data is in a horrible new format unlike the previous years. All the choices for each person is in one long text field that is comma separated, *except* that some animes also have commas in their names. Further, ranking is optional so you can't use that to get at people's choices either. Also the titles are given in a super long format which is impossible to fit into a plot and look nice.

It's a giant pain in the rear end, if someone wants to post a cleaned up dataset then I'll take a look at it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
prettier data, though the names are still monstrous

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Fangz posted:

It's a giant pain in the rear end, if someone wants to post a cleaned up dataset then I'll take a look at it.

Basically the same format as 2019's (minus the "score" column which appears to be 6-rank, so I'm sure you can figure that out if desired). Sheet 2 is the same but minus the English names.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LTix5iOtXD4wZyt5AfeAG7uNG_p2M3nznPcW965kHGA/edit#gid=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Alright, thanks you two.

I had to tweak the method a bit because this year, it seemed like everyone's favourite shows were dominated by a relatively small number of them. Oh well, this is hardly scientific.

Here we go...

As usual, people close to you have similar taste, more or less. If you align with the arrows relating to certain shows, maybe you'll like those too. If the arrows for certain shows go in the same direction, then it seems that people who like one show like the other show too. With the opposite if the arrows go in the opposite direction...

Huge version with smaller text:

https://i.imgur.com/Q4vQ4gr.png