Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

In no particular order:

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun:

I love all the To Aru shows, but it’s one of those franchises where the main protagonist (Touma) is the least interesting thing about it. So naturally, I prefer this Mikoto-centric spinoff over the main series. It also manages to tell a more focused story while still offering plenty of spectacular action, and gives most of its massive cast a moment to shine.

Majo no Tabitabi:

A good show all round, but what pushes it into the top five for me was Elaina herself. Everyone seems to either love or hate her for her whimsical attitude, but I’m definitely in the former camp, especially after the final episode which had both hilarious and poignant moments.

Honzuki no Gekokujou:

An isekai that manages to buck the shallow wish-fulfilment trends that have come to define the genre. The main character doesn’t have it easy, and has to rely on her brains more than anything else in order to achieve her deceptively simple-sounding goal of producing books in a world where even literacy isn’t common.

No Guns Life:

The whole premise of a man with a revolver for a head sounds absurd, and I would forgive you for thinking this was going to be some sort of wacky comedy if you hadn’t seen it. That’s what I did as first, and I almost didn’t watch it until I happened to see some screenshots where it actually looked cool.

What it really is, is a cyberpunk noir story in which an ex-military cyborg works as a private detective in order to uncover the mysteries of his own forgotten origins. There’s lots of fantastic action as well as a good mix of standalone episodes and ongoing arcs.

BOFURI:

A story about people playing a VR game where they don’t get trapped inside it and forced to fight for their lives. Wow! Instead, it’s just about them having fun, and so it’s a very fun series to watch.

One thing that concerned me about the series before watching it was the worry that it would never evolve beyond its basic premise of Maple being clueless and winning fights by accident. That’s the sort of thing that would get real old real fast. However I’m happy to report that this isn’t the case, and she does become genuinely good at the game over time, while other characters are allowed to show off their own awesome skills.

Honorable mentions:

Munou no Nana:

Fantastic series, but loses points for ending on such an abrupt cliffhanger. It’s true that a lot of series end without a proper finale since they run out of material to adapt, but most at least tie up the ongoing story arc and offer some kind of conclusion.

Kyokou Suiri:

Started out very strong with great comedic back-and-forth between the leads, but the pacing slows to an absolute crawl as it goes along. Still very well-animated with a novel spin on its fantasy concepts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU