Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Going in alphabetical-ish order down the list:

Eizouken
I know, stunning isn't it? Turns out that the show that everyone agrees is really really good actually is really really good! Ridiculously good performances, gonzo style, the show was just a complete blast from beginning to end.

Gundam Build Divers Re: Rise
I genuinely never thought we would see another Build series from Gundam that would be any good after the original caught lightning in a bottle, but I was truly impressed and heartened by re:rise. It had a good cast, it used its set up well, it had good action, and I actually cared what happened to these characters and to the setting. I think my only real problem with the series was that the cast of incredible losers from the original Build Divers kept showing up, and and even that would be marginally acceptable except that the god-awful boring original lead had co-equal billing with the actual protagonist I liked for the final battle. That really is about the worst thing I can say for it, if it hadn't been the sequel series to a much worse show I don't think I'd have any complaints with what it was and what it was doing.

Bofuri
It turns out all you need for a functional VRMMO show is a cast of goofy characters having fun playing a game. Sometimes you can hang a show on wanting to spend time with a bunch of fun people having fun. There's a lot to love in the show like watching Maple become progressively more omnipotent or the fact it had alarmingly good action scenes or the fact that it is the show more than any other I've seen that actually feels like it "gets" MMO players (the forum posts at the end of each episode are standout), but mostly I just dig these people and I will gladly watch another season of them putting around playing a game.

Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle
A straight-on comedy that was completely on point for its entire run. Ridiculous, hilarious, and sometimes surprisingly relatable, I will never get tired of the Princess casually murdering ghost shrouds with her giant nightmare scissors as she announces that she has "no need for the head and arms". Once again, I will gladly watch another season of Princess murder MacGyver on her quest for the perfect night's sleep.

Moriarty the Patriot
Pure wish fulfillment junkfood anime, but greatly appreciated in these trying times. It really is just a show about brutally killing rich assholes with a thin veneer of Sherlock Holmes fanfiction attached to it. Ultimately though it's basically just a period piece version of Death Note except you're actually meant to root for Light this time. What can I say? It's cathartic watching evil watching 1%ers suffer and die horribly. It also has a surprisingly good version of Holmes, the show remembers the dude was actually a real jerk in the source books but it still also has an interesting divergent take on the character. Definitely gonna watch the second cour in April.

Honorable Mention:

My Next Life As Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!
This was a really fun show for about seven episodes, but it had started to run out of steam by episode five and it tapped all of my remaining goodwill from the strong start for me to get through the ending in episode 12.

Killer hook, wonderful lead, interesting setting, fun cast, and the gag of literally everyone falling for the lead didn't feel done to death, at first. After a while it was obvious to me that it was just spinning its wheels, and the villain it decided on was really weak sauce. Also while these people are morons they definitely aren't as moronic as what was required for the final arc to actually go through the way it did. I adore these wonderful idiots, but it didn't have the same kind of propulsive energy as the other "goofy silly people hang out and do things" shows I listed as my AOTY choices. I don't hate HameFura, but at the same time I have no interest in season two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU