Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008
Another year of me not watching a lot of new shows, I missed a lot of really popular ones from this year for reasons, but here's the my top 5 of what I did watch.

1) Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2
Cast, direction, animation, script and music. A really all round good comedy show.

2) Kakushigoto (TV)
A neat comedy with some great emotional hits as well. Kamiya Hiroshi hits it out of the park with, bringing the same energy as in Zetsubou-sensei but managing to differentiate the roles well, and Takahashi Rie was adorable as Hime with some pretty spot on acting choices there tool.

3)Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front - Babylonia
It was promised to be a tour de force for fans, and outside them playing it safe with some of the choices, they really managed to have some great action and emotional moments. However they were just moments, and there wasn't much 'glue' to stick them together. Also towards the end there were some strange choices about padding some moments while compressing others, which led to some of the emotional beats not really sticking the landing. Voice acting highlights are Kobayashi Yuu as Enkidu and Seki Tomokazu as Gilgamesh (Playing a very different character to his other depicitions in the Fate series, at some point almost being the comic sidekick), Asakawa Yuu as Ana/Gorgon (managing to squeeze out two very different voices, one of which is very much outside her usual range), but my favourite was Ueda Kana as Ishtar and Ereshikigal. Both characters are based on Rin from Stay Night, but she not only makes them distinct from Rin, they're distinct from each other in subtle but noticeable ways, while somehow keeping all of them the same voice

4) BOFURI
Its yet another VRMMO show with an OP protagonist, but this time the VRMMO's intentionally bad, and the story is more about having fun in the game, with some refuge in audacity in how the MC stumbles into getting crazy overpowered skills. There were some great animation showcases, and Hondo Kaede was amazing as always as Honjou Kaede/Maple.

5) Ishuzoku Reviewers
Talking about refuge in audacity, this is refuge in audacity the anime. Funny and outrageous, it also has a bit of a wholesome message in; a) sex is good, actually and b) different strokes for different folks/ different cultures have different standards so don't judge others. Some points docked for how they handled the idea of different sexualities though.

Honourable mention

Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? Bloom
Another in the series of a good all-round plotless, mindless, cute girls doing cute things anime. This season has a general throughline that all the characters are due to graduate to the next level of school (which gave me a moment of "wait, these characters are supposed to be high schoolers/middle schoolers?!") and pretty much every episode tried to pull on your heart strings in some way which doesn't always hit. Its got some great character animation, and excellent voice acting (My favourite being Uchida Maaya's Sharo, who seems to be transforming into a gremlin with every episode)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU